PDA

View Full Version : Life in the fast lane.

HenryA
01-28-2019, 05:48 PM
http://aging.nautil.us/feature/173/yes-life-in-the-fast-lane-kills-you

Aerobic capacity, death and more.
Discuss.

Blown Reek
01-28-2019, 05:54 PM
One of the best guitar licks ever.

72gmc
01-28-2019, 08:25 PM
I preferred Joe's work with the James Gang myself.

berserk87
01-28-2019, 08:44 PM
Based on this theory I shoulda been dead ten years ago.

Pastashop
01-29-2019, 03:49 AM
Many factors are at play. For example, on the one hand, high intensity aerobic activity often is sustained by increased carbohydrate intake, which in turn can increase inflammation. But we also know that aerobic activity promotes vascularization, which is associated with “youthfulness” (basically, as mammals age, vascularization suffers). Recent work by *** ****** (scientist who identified the key VEGF mechanism) shows that in mice with increased VEGF levels, vascularization is promoted, lifespan and healthspan (measured by several factors) are extended significantly. This is somewhat counterintuitive, because VEGF and increased vascularization are often associated with tumor growth, but they also saw reduced tumor formation in the mice. So... it’s complicated.

And in case you thought that low-carb, meat- and dairy-rich diets were magically good, it turns out that a compound Neu5Gc — not produced natively in humans, but abundant in, e.g. red meat and in humans that consume more red meat and to a lesser extent dairy — accumulates in the heart and is implicated in calcification (hardening) of heart valves in humans.

Most likely, the *combo* of red meat / dairy and carbohydrates is the thing that increases overall inflammation in the body, with all the attendant risks.

So, it appears to me that for longevity and health, one ought to pick either a vegetarian diet or a keto diet, in either case somewhat calorie-restricted, plus some mix of low intensity aerobic and strength building exercise on a regular basis.

But, you know, you read it on a bike forum from some random poster, so... :-)