PDA

View Full Version : Moots Vamoots RSL - school me

galgal
01-27-2019, 05:57 PM
LBS has one of these in in what at first glance seems mint condition and in my size. Will take a test ride soon but thought to take advantage of the knowledge here as well, having never ridden a Moots or any Ti bike. Have only heard very positive things about Moots and the RSL, including the recent huck*this thread here. Current stable has a couple of carbon bikes (C40, C59) and a couple of steel (Colnago, Bianchi - both Columbus SLX). So, first question is: what would RSL offer that none of these do? One obvious answer is that it would likely be more versatile, in that it could accommodate larger than 25 tires, which none of mine can. But how large a tire can the RSL take, given that it is Moots' road 'race' bike? Second question is about pricing: LBS has it for 2.5K for full bike. Which includes a Moots stem/seatpost, a decent set of wheels (HED laced to CK hubs); CK HS. Drivetrain is SRAM Red 10sp - alas - but looks in good shape. Seems like a normal price, given that it would also add on sales tax, not a deal, but not outrageous? Should I just hold on for a better deal?

dbnm
01-27-2019, 06:39 PM
I have a Vamoots RSL. The biggest tire is 25mm. I am running the newest mavic ksyrium pro wheels and they have 25mm tires. My frame won't go larger.

As for the price, seems pretty reasonable if everything is in good shape. The Red stuff might need to be updated at some point but it's a very solid bike. I love mine.

kppolich
01-27-2019, 06:47 PM
What size is this for sale bike?

bcroslin
01-27-2019, 06:51 PM
I have a Vamoots RSL. The biggest tire is 25mm. I am running the newest mavic ksyrium pro wheels and they have 25mm tires. My frame won't go larger.

Same here. I've squeezed Vittoria Corsa 28's on mine but the rear rubbed the FD clamp so no go. The price sounds right. Any idea when it was manufactured?

As far as the ride, my Vamoots RSL is the most comfortable race bike I've ever ridden. It's fast, light-ish and I can ride it all day long. I never cared about Ti bikes and always admired Moots bikes but never lusted after one. One of my good friends opened an LBS and became a Moots dealer and I was able to test ride the Vamoots CR and RSL and I was sold. I've been riding my RSL almost two years and I love it. The hype about Ti bikes is real as far as I'm concerned.

zzy
01-27-2019, 06:52 PM
I have a Moots RSL fork from the post Alpha Q days. Easily clears a 28 with room to spare (which the original AQ design did not). That's a solid deal, and maybe if it's used and you pay cash they may not charge tax. I would take it for a spin and see if it speaks to you. The RSL was their more premium, race oriented frame. Some would call them some of the best Ti frames made.

galgal
01-27-2019, 09:54 PM
Thanks for input, all. If as suspected, the RSL can't take larger tires than present bikes, that does take away some of the rationale to getting it. Tho might be blown away (not literally of course :)) by test ride which I aim to do. Thanks for pricing info too. Since someone asked, size is 52.

thunderworks
01-27-2019, 11:01 PM
IMO, it's a helluva great price on a fantastic bike.

TMD
01-27-2019, 11:22 PM
What is your current ride? That sounds like a great deal on a premiere TI ride. For once, wish I was a little bit shorter.

Alaska Mike
01-27-2019, 11:48 PM
Generally speaking, ti bikes clean up a lot easier than any carbon bike I've ever owned. Since I ride in the rain a bit, this matters to me. I've found it to be a very durable material (I call it TSA-proof), and in the hands of a craftsman it can be tuned to a wide range of performance targets. Is it magic? Not any more than any of the other materials commonly used, but I find myself more and more drawn to it and how it balances the characteristics I favor most.

My Moots Compact really has been a versatile ride for me, and I've grabbed it 95% of the time since I built it up (I own ten very rideable, performance-oriented bikes). My other bikes have collected enough dust to make me feel a little guilty. However, I bought an RSL frame based on my experiences with the Compact to hopefully use as a race bike. Moots just makes a very nice bike. Quality materials handled by people who know what they're doing.

I'd say the price is good, so you could certainly pass it along if you find it is not for you. If you're anything like me, you won't be selling it.

oldpotatoe
01-28-2019, 06:32 AM
LBS has one of these in in what at first glance seems mint condition and in my size. Will take a test ride soon but thought to take advantage of the knowledge here as well, having never ridden a Moots or any Ti bike. Have only heard very positive things about Moots and the RSL, including the recent huck*this thread here. Current stable has a couple of carbon bikes (C40, C59) and a couple of steel (Colnago, Bianchi - both Columbus SLX). So, first question is: 1)what would RSL offer that none of these do? One obvious answer is that it would likely be more versatile, in that it could accommodate larger than 25 tires, which none of mine can. But how large a tire can the RSL take, given that it is Moots' road 'race' bike? 2)Second question is about pricing: LBS has it for 2.5K for full bike. Which includes a Moots stem/seatpost, a decent set of wheels (HED laced to CK hubs); CK HS. Drivetrain is SRAM Red 10sp - alas - but looks in good shape. Seems like a 3)normal price, given that it would also add on sales tax, not a deal, but not outrageous? Should I just hold on for a better deal?

1)..different material is all. It doesn't 'offer' anything that your current fleet does. Ride it, a LONG ride and subjectively you'll see if it 'talks' to you or not.
2)Depends on a lot, tire, rim, etc..does the LBS have a 28mm tire they can 'spec' for you?
3)Look at the normal' price of the RSL...$2500 for Frame/Fork/Stem/Seatpost..is a GREAT deal..you get a group too even if it is last century stuff......

galgal
01-30-2019, 07:17 PM
So, I got the Moots Vamoots RSL. Thank you to everyone who responded, which helped. Also appreciated and learned from various other threads here re Moots. And Oldpotatoe, thanks for setting me straight on the pricing. Bike is in mint condition, fits perfectly and rides great. My first Ti bike and am quite thrilled. And, I do believe it will be more versatile than my Colnago C40 and C59 (with their Hyperon wheels) which i hesitate to bring out at all during the NYC winter and its crappy roads. i don't think it I will hesitate with this, which has HED rims laced to CK hubs and Vittoria Open Cora 25c tires that almost come out to 30 with a wee bit of clearance left, weee! Not quite a 'gravel bike' ha ha, but will do.

lavi
01-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Way to go! You'll love it! Great setup for a great price. I love my Moots. I have more than a few...and the Moots will likely be the last one to go when that day comes.

Matthew
01-30-2019, 08:47 PM
Yup, welcome to the congregation. Moots are awesome. Lets see some pics when you can.

Alaska Mike
01-30-2019, 08:58 PM
In that configuration, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better bike to fit that niche.

One of the best things about my ti frames is how easy they are to clean after a rainy ride. It's pretty much hose them off and call it quits. No polishing or fussing over water spots (if you care about such things). I usually only worry about having a clean drivetrain, but the ti bikes make it easy for the rest to appear respectable.

Enjoy it, and don't be surprised if your "nice" bikes get neglected in favor of the RSL.

dbnm
01-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Buy some lemon pledge wipes. Use them after dirty rides. super easy.

hokoman
01-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Bike is in mint condition, fits perfectly and rides great.

You've actually ridden in this weather? I am getting old - too cold for me! Congrats on the pick up. Sounds like a great deal.

oldpotatoe
01-31-2019, 06:18 AM
So, I got the Moots Vamoots RSL. Thank you to everyone who responded, which helped. Also appreciated and learned from various other threads here re Moots. And Oldpotatoe, thanks for setting me straight on the pricing. Bike is in mint condition, fits perfectly and rides great. My first Ti bike and am quite thrilled. And, I do believe it will be more versatile than my Colnago C40 and C59 (with their Hyperon wheels) which i hesitate to bring out at all during the NYC winter and its crappy roads. i don't think it I will hesitate with this, which has HED rims laced to CK hubs and Vittoria Open Cora 25c tires that almost come out to 30 with a wee bit of clearance left, weee! Not quite a 'gravel bike' ha ha, but will do.

HUZZAH!!

You won't be disappointed...After a while, slap some Campag on that and it will indeed, be perfecto..:)

teleguy57
01-31-2019, 08:41 AM
First, congrats! Great price on a great bike.

Ti is so easy to maintain. In addition to @dbnm's idea, I've used Kirkland baby wipes (thanks to@ bigbill for the recommendation) to the same effect, but much less expensive. Also use Lemon Pledge and soft rags.

Buy some lemon pledge wipes. Use them after dirty rides. super easy.

hobbanero
01-31-2019, 08:21 PM
Mine has a 30.9 post, which I think they all have because of the oversized seat tube. I found that made the ride a bit harsh, so I put a 27.2 with a shim and that improved things. I have 25c tires on HED Belgium rims and there is lots of clearance.

dbnm
01-31-2019, 09:15 PM
Mine has a 30.9 seatpost.

doubleklobbs
02-01-2019, 09:22 AM
This thread needs more New Bike Day photos!

mktng
02-01-2019, 09:23 AM
2.5k is a killer price for a RSL built with red and matching moots bits.
heck the post and stem alone are about 1k retail.

we definitely need pictures!

madsciencenow
02-01-2019, 04:16 PM
I have an RSL w oversized HT, 27.9 seat post and threaded BB. Think it’s 2017. I bought this direct from one of the welders at Moots so it’s possible this wasn’t actually available. Chain stays are also increased in length by 2 mm to fit 28s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbnm
02-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Definitely a one off. I would love to have a smaller seatpost and ability to run 28s.

I have an RSL w oversized HT, 27.9 seat post and threaded BB. Think it’s 2017. I bought this direct from one of the welders at Moots so it’s possible this wasn’t actually available. Chain stays are also increased in length by 2 mm to fit 28s.

madsciencenow
02-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Definitely a one off. I would love to have a smaller seatpost and ability to run 28s.

I didn’t really care when I bought it but can say it has been really nice!

bironi
02-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Vamoots owner here.
Enjoy.
I have for 14ish years.
Still looks new if you squint to disregard the components.