PDA

View Full Version : Campy 12 speed chain - peen or quick link?

radsmd
01-27-2019, 12:56 PM
Building up bike with Campy Record 12 speed and wanted to see what experiences forumites have had regarding the chain. Manual says it needs to be installed with the special pin and be peened, but I do not have a peening tool and hoping not to need to purchase one.

Anybody have any experience with a quick link that would be compatible with the campy drivetrain? I see SRAM has one for their 12 speed eagle drivetrains. I think KMC also has a 12 speed chain, but have not found a source for just the quick link.

May be worth it to bring it to the LBS to have the chain installed, but concerned about their fluency with Campy speak.

ultraman6970
01-27-2019, 01:04 PM
NO idea about campy 12 but if i had one group I would go with the missing link just because if you need to remove the chain you can do that in a second. I do not even know why campagnolo still make pins, nobody use them at all. Personally never used one all the way up to 11 speed.

bfd
01-27-2019, 01:12 PM
I do not even know why campagnolo still make pins, nobody use them at all. Personally never used one all the way up to 11 speed.

Doesn’t Shimano use chain pins too? I know they have a master link, but the pins are still available:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/shimano-11-speed-chain-connecting-pin-3-pack?adl=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgeLImtWO4AIVVRh9Ch1dMwRWEAQYAyAB EgI-E_D_BwE

Personally, I just get a KMC with the master link and be done with it!

Joxster
01-27-2019, 04:03 PM
The 12spd chain uses the same 11spd chain tool, Campag will never go for a quick link as they view it as a weakness in a chain

Dave
01-27-2019, 04:33 PM
The sram 12 link would come closest to a proper fit. When 11 speed first came out, I got by with a wipperman 10 link. It was too wide, but never caused a problem.

ultraman6970
01-27-2019, 04:39 PM
I did the same.. used 10 speed missing links with 11, got tad noisy at times but worked fine. No idea how an 11 missing link will work in a 12 speed chain tho

radsmd
01-27-2019, 04:43 PM
Can’t find the KMC missing link for 12 being sold separately yet.

I have a couple of old Park chain tools, but none that have the peening capability. Hate to spend $60+ for a tool that I’d use so infrequently.

Looks like I’ll be calling up to Campagnolo NA to see if they have any recommendations on good wrenches in the San Diego area.

Dave
01-27-2019, 05:26 PM
You could just buy a KMC 12 speed chain and use it.

https://www.jensonusa.com/KMC-X12-12-Speed-Chain

KMC claims compatibility with SRAM and Campy 12.

Here's a source for the links, alone.

https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Missing-Link-Perfectly-Connecting/dp/B07MTPYX49?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ2F6RDUSIYCWQMFQ&tag=sa-sym-new-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07MTPYX49

radsmd
01-27-2019, 05:28 PM
You could just buy a KMC 12 speed chain and use it.

https://www.jensonusa.com/KMC-X12-12-Speed-Chain

KMC claims compatibility with SRAM and Campy 12.

Thought about that but I have a brand new record chain just sitting here in front of me.

Dave
01-27-2019, 06:28 PM
See my revised post.

bigbill
01-27-2019, 06:53 PM
I've peened all my Campy 11 chains with the campy chain tool for the past ten years, at least a dozen chains, never had one fail. I've been carrying the same KMC 11 link in my tool bag for a decade.

My gravel bike has Shimano 11 and the replacement chains have all had links instead of pins.

radsmd
01-27-2019, 07:38 PM
See my revised post.

Thank you. My google-fu failed me this time.

lhuerta
01-27-2019, 10:48 PM
...just buy the proper tool. It will pay for itself in spades and assist u in getting the job done correctly. U can find it for less than $150 from UK outfitters. I assume u just spent $2K on ur new 12 speed gruppo...why skimp on THE most important part of ur drivetrain..??

Dave
01-28-2019, 08:51 AM
I have the campy tool but never use it anymore. I much prefer using a quick link, so I can remove the chain for cleaning. I also use at least 3 chains in a rotation to avoid ever having new-chain skip. I never toss a chain prematurely in an effort to prevent chain skip.

I've used campy chains for 6000 miles that have little elongation, but the rollers were severely worn down and the side clearances twice that of a new chain. Using a single chain that long will cause new-chain skip, even though the chain has less than .5% elongation.

zmalwo
01-28-2019, 09:01 AM
NO idea about campy 12 but if i had one group I would go with the missing link just because if you need to remove the chain you can do that in a second. I do not even know why campagnolo still make pins, nobody use them at all. Personally never used one all the way up to 11 speed.

maybe under a very coincidental situation like a quick link stuck between a big front ring and a FD cage while pedaling would undo the link when installed in certain direction, but for us everyday mortals it would probably never happen.

radsmd
01-28-2019, 10:06 AM
I have the campy tool but never use it anymore. I much prefer using a quick link, so I can remove the chain for cleaning. I also use at least 3 chains in a rotation to avoid ever having new-chain skip. I never toss a chain prematurely in an effort to prevent chain skip.

I've used campy chains for 6000 miles that have little elongation, but the rollers were severely worn down and the side clearances twice that of a new chain. Using a single chain that long will cause new-chain skip, even though the chain has less than .5% elongation.

If anybody is ready to pass their chain tool on for a reasonable $, let me know. ;)

Tony T
01-28-2019, 10:27 AM
I've peened all my Campy 11 chains with the campy chain tool for the past ten years, at least a dozen chains, never had one fail. I've been carrying the same KMC 11 link in my tool bag for a decade.

Same here.

Yerma
08-11-2019, 10:31 AM
Decided to try the 12 Missing link on my 12 speed campy. The problem is that the pins for the link catch the rear derailleur upper pulley wheel plate.This happens in all the gears. The missing link plates seem very close in width to the campy links but the pins stand too proud. Lesson learned.

DfCas
08-11-2019, 10:34 AM
I'm using a KMC 12 speed quick link with a Chorus 12 speed chain. No problem whatsoever.

ultraman6970
08-11-2019, 10:40 AM
That's an interesting issue...

And is interesting what the other forumite says too...

Looks like 12 speed will figure it out little by little when the guys starts using it more and more. Pls sell your record 10 stuff to me please, and really cheap too :P

mcteague
08-11-2019, 11:16 AM
I'm using a KMC 12 speed quick link with a Chorus 12 speed chain. No problem whatsoever.

I’m using one with the Record 12 group, works perfectly.

http://www.kmcchain.eu/connector-KMC_MissingLink_12_EPT_Silver_non–reusable-road_cross-12_speed

Tim

Dave
08-11-2019, 11:46 AM
I'm also using a KMC CL552 link on my campy 12 chain. Works fine, but the width across the pins is wider than the rest of the chain. All modern links have flush pins, so they don't protrude.

A sram axs link is too narrow.

Jeff N.
08-11-2019, 12:51 PM
The link simplifies chain cleaning, but if that's not an issue with you, pin peening is just fine.

mcteague
08-11-2019, 02:36 PM
The link simplifies chain cleaning, but if that's not an issue with you, pin peening is just fine.

Except when the Park peening tool breaks, happened to me on first use, and the Campy version costs a LOT. The link just makes things easier.

Tim

Jeff N.
08-11-2019, 03:04 PM
Except when the Park peening tool breaks, happened to me on first use, and the Campy version costs a LOT. The link just makes things easier.

TimVERY true (I own the Campy...absolutely the finest, most precise chain tool in the world. Period.).

oldpotatoe
08-12-2019, 07:03 AM
VERY true (I own the Campy...absolutely the finest, most precise chain tool in the world. Period.).

Agree...use the peen tool when chain is new..take off to clean, then use a link(KMC)...

Yerma
08-21-2019, 07:40 AM
I’m using one with the Record 12 group, works perfectly.

http://www.kmcchain.eu/connector-KMC_MissingLink_12_EPT_Silver_non–reusable-road_cross-12_speed

Tim

Tim, I’ve tried the kmc on a new record 12 group and the pins on the quick link
Hit the upper pulley derailleur plate. Did you have to modify anything on yours?

Yerma
08-21-2019, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=Dave;2578273]I'm also using a KMC CL552 link on my campy 12 chain. Works fine, but the width across the pins is wider than the rest of the chain. All modern links have flush pins, so they don't protrude.

A sram axs link is too narrow.[/QUOT

I wonder if there is some variation on the KMC pin width? Since it doesn’t have flush pins 0.5mm on one side or the other would be enough to explain why some aren’t having the clearance issues.

Jeff N.
08-21-2019, 08:52 AM
I'm using the SRAM "Eagle" version quick-link with SR-12. No problem whatsoever.

mcteague
08-21-2019, 08:54 AM
Hit the upper pulley derailleur plate. Did you have to modify anything on yours?

Nope , plug and play...as it were.

Tim

Dave
08-21-2019, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=Dave;2578273]I'm also using a KMC CL552 link on my campy 12 chain. Works fine, but the width across the pins is wider than the rest of the chain. All modern links have flush pins, so they don't protrude.

A sram axs link is too narrow.[/QUOT

I wonder if there is some variation on the KMC pin width? Since it doesn’t have flush pins 0.5mm on one side or the other would be enough to explain why some aren’t having the clearance issues.

A CL 552 should have flush pins. IIRC, the width is 5.38mm.

weiwentg
08-21-2019, 02:48 PM

Tim

Not related, but I bought a Park grease gun. I got it jammed somehow and emailed Park. They said it's probably a clogged nozzle, just stick a paperclip or staple through the hole end, and if that doesn't un-jam it, we'll send you a new one. Perhaps the rep I emailed was in a generous mood. However, I have to suspect they could be willing to send you a new peening tool if you relayed your experience to them.

I could say this is an argument for quick links, but I have a hard time seeing how a well made tool should break on first use.

mcteague
08-21-2019, 02:50 PM
Not related, but I bought a Park grease gun. I got it jammed somehow and emailed Park. They said it's probably a clogged nozzle, just stick a paperclip or staple through the hole end, and if that doesn't un-jam it, we'll send you a new one. Perhaps the rep I emailed was in a generous mood. However, I have to suspect they could be willing to send you a new peening tool if you relayed your experience to them.

I could say this is an argument for quick links, but I have a hard time seeing how a well made tool should break on first use.

I’m sure they would have but I lost all confidence in the tool. Plus I didn’t want to wait the extra time and went with the quick link.

Tim

Yerma
08-21-2019, 03:23 PM
[QUOTE=Yerma;2582879]

A CL 552 should have flush pins. IIRC, the width is 5.38mm.

Using the CL 552. Only the side that’s fixed is flush. It appears that since the rollers are thinner on the C12, it allows the KMC chain link plates to move inward making the pin sit proud and catch the pulley plate.

Jeff N.
08-21-2019, 04:39 PM

I could say this is an argument for quick links, but I have a hard time seeing how a well made tool should break on first use.I personally think that, as far as tool overall quality goes, Park tools are marginal at best...but when they're pretty much the only game in town, there ain't much choice. I've had chain tools break, hex wrenches go round....made out of pot metal, practically.

Dave
08-21-2019, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=Dave;2583083]

Using the CL 552. Only the side that’s fixed is flush. It appears that since the rollers are thinner on the C12, it allows the KMC chain link plates to move inward making the pin sit proud and catch the pulley plate.

The width across the rollers is not an issue, nor is the narrower width across the inner plates. The pin has a groove in it, so the outer plate cannot move in or out. The fact that the inner plate width is narrower just leaves more side clearance between the inner and outer plates.

I've had no problems with this link on my Chorus 12 RD. I did orient the link as SRAM instructs, with the fixed flush pin on the outside and forward, when the link is on the top section of chain.

jzinckgra
08-21-2019, 07:20 PM

Hit the upper pulley derailleur plate. Did you have to modify anything on yours?I'm running 11 speed with kmc and noticed my plate was gouged. So the kmc is wider than campy chain? I never bothered with campy chain cause the kmc with quicklink is just easier to deal with. I can't seem to get part number for the inner cage plate for my derailleur. It's record, 2018.

pjbaz
08-21-2019, 07:29 PM
Doesn’t Shimano use chain pins too? I know they have a master link, but the pins are still available:
Personally, I just get a KMC with the master link and be done with it!

And just last Saturday I experienced my first major failure when the 11-speed Ultegra chain I installed this spring with the Shimano pin partially let go, caught my fd and destroyed it and the fd clamp which, of course, was cf and proprietary. Adding insult to the whole thing? It was my second ride (it survived a fast 32 mile group ride with 2,500 feet of climbing 5 days earlier) with the new grouppo ... so obviously that pin was not properly in there (yes, MY fault).

All in, I figure it was about $145 or so.

My other 11 speed setup had a Shimano quick link, and this one will be repaired using a quick link.

Yerma
08-21-2019, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=Yerma;2583141]

The width across the rollers is not an issue, nor is the narrower width across the inner plates. The pin has a groove in it, so the outer plate cannot move in or out. The fact that the inner plate width is narrower just leaves more side clearance between the inner and outer plates.

I've had no problems with this link on my Chorus 12 RD. I did orient the link as SRAM instructs, with the fixed flush pin on the outside and forward, when the link is on the top section of chain.

Thanks for the information. Are you using the KMC or the SRAM link? I’ll double check that I have oriented the KMC link as you describe.

oldpotatoe
08-22-2019, 06:12 AM
I'm running 11 speed with kmc and noticed my plate was gouged. So the kmc is wider than campy chain? I never bothered with campy chain cause the kmc with quicklink is just easier to deal with. I can't seem to get part number for the inner cage plate for my derailleur. It's record, 2018.

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_2366_Catalogue_spare%20parts_tools_Campagnolo_ 2018_part_A.pdf

Page 15 BUT it's the cage assembly, not just the inner cage plate.

Dave
08-22-2019, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=Dave;2583200]

Thanks for the information. Are you using the KMC or the SRAM link? I’ll double check that I have oriented the KMC link as you describe.

I use the CL 552 KMC link. A sram axs link is too narrow, but a SRAM eagle link should work the chain is only a few thousandths of an inch wider than a Campy chain.

Yerma
08-22-2019, 02:50 PM
Strange, I tried both orientations and the CL552 still brushes the inside of the pulley cages. I’m sure it would quickly create a shallow groove in the alloy and quiet down after a few rides but it’s piqued my curiosity as to why you and others are not having the same issue. The link is clearly wider than the C12 and additionally it has much more lateral play due to the Campy inner link being narrower. It may be this additional play that is making it rub.
On a side note if anyone wants a Park 4.3 chain tool I have a virtually new one for $50. I’ve not had any past problems with Park tools save a torque wrench which the repaired and recalibrated under warranty. YMMV.

PsiSquared
12-01-2019, 12:01 AM
Sorry. I'm a bit late to the party.

I'm moving up to Campy Chorus 12spd over the next month, and I'm stuck on what chain to use. I wax my chains (the crock pot method, not the liquid wax in a bottle stuff), so my life would be easier with a chain that quickly splits and rejoins. I've been happy with KMC chains and Missing Links on my current Campy Record 10 speed drivetrain, but I'm a bit worried by the differing opinions and experiences I've read with KMC 12 Spd bits on Campy 12 drive trains.

The worry I have with using a Campy chain is that, well, it would have to be split quasi-frequently. What is the limit on how many times you can split and rejoin a Campy 12 spd chain? Another downside to the Campy chain route is the cost of all the pins. The pins are about $14-15, aren't they?

oldpotatoe
12-01-2019, 06:25 AM
Sorry. I'm a bit late to the party.

I'm moving up to Campy Chorus 12spd over the next month, and I'm stuck on what chain to use. I wax my chains (the crock pot method, not the liquid wax in a bottle stuff), so my life would be easier with a chain that quickly splits and rejoins. I've been happy with KMC chains and Missing Links on my current Campy Record 10 speed drivetrain, but I'm a bit worried by the differing opinions and experiences I've read with KMC 12 Spd bits on Campy 12 drive trains.

The worry I have with using a Campy chain is that, well, it would have to be split quasi-frequently. What is the limit on how many times you can split and rejoin a Campy 12 spd chain? Another downside to the Campy chain route is the cost of all the pins. The pins are about $14-15, aren't they?

Once again, unlike older chains, where you can push a pin out and then push a pin back in..if you push out a Campag pin, then rejoin at that place, even using a 'new' pin, you run the risk of breaking a chain there. Campag chains are designed to have that supplied pin shoved into a 'virgin' outer plate only. WHY, chain pin replacement 'kits' from Campag include a wee section of virgin chain links. So..use a KMC or other, snap link.

Campag 'kit' below

makoti
12-01-2019, 09:25 AM
Once again, unlike older chains, where you can push a pin out and then push a pin back in..if you push out a Campag pin, then rejoin at that place, even using a 'new' pin, you run the risk of breaking a chain there. Campag chains are designed to have that supplied pin shoved into a 'virgin' outer plate only. WHY, chain pin replacement 'kits' from Campag include a wee section of virgin chain links. So..use a KMC or other, snap link.

Campag 'kit' below

So are you saying that, even using an official Campy pin, you are better off using a quick link on a 12? Getting 12 for the travel bike, and it's either QL's or buy the Abby tool.

jm714
12-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Can’t find the KMC missing link for 12 being sold separately yet.

I have a couple of old Park chain tools, but none that have the peening capability. Hate to spend $60+ for a tool that I’d use so infrequently.

Looks like I’ll be calling up to Campagnolo NA to see if they have any recommendations on good wrenches in the San Diego area.

You might try summer cycles in Del Mar for campy help.

oldpotatoe
12-01-2019, 09:48 AM
So are you saying that, even using an official Campy pin, you are better off using a quick link on a 12? Getting 12 for the travel bike, and it's either QL's or buy the Abby tool.

QL or chain section, which is only one time use..cannot split and then just install a pin..get a QL..Tool doesn't make a difference. Still bad news to shove a (new) pin into a plate that has already seen a pin.

oldpotatoe
12-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Ya know, Now I'm not so sure..gonna call Campag NA tomorrow and ask..10s, w/o peening, shows a link along with a new pin..11s and 12s, does not..so wondering is the 'peening' means you can just push a pin out and install a new, to be peened, pin...The 2020 spare parts shows 10s chain with a link..but 11s and 12s, pins only.

I'll let ya know.....

Jeff N.
12-01-2019, 10:06 AM
I've been trying this out...so far no problems whatsoever.

Dave
12-01-2019, 11:57 AM
The sram eagle quick link is the best fitting for the Campy 12 chain. I'm using it too.

PsiSquared
12-01-2019, 12:16 PM

Campag 'kit' below

Ok.

mcteague
12-01-2019, 02:47 PM
The sram eagle quick link is the best fitting for the Campy 12 chain. I'm using it too.

Have you tried the KMC and, if so, how did you find it wanting?

https://www.kmcchain.eu/connector-KMC_MissingLink_12_EPT_Silver_non%e2%80%93reusable-road_cross-12_speed

Tim

Red Tornado
12-01-2019, 03:03 PM
Have used KMC links with Campy chains for years, never had any problems.

pjbaz
12-01-2019, 03:06 PM

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/shimano-11-speed-chain-connecting-pin-3-pack?adl=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgeLImtWO4AIVVRh9Ch1dMwRWEAQYAyAB EgI-E_D_BwE

Had that part fail this year and it cost me the chain, a brand new R8000 fd and a proprietary-sized cf fd clamp that is about as rare as rocking horse poop - total was about $200

Dave
12-01-2019, 03:48 PM
Have you tried the KMC and, if so, how did you find it wanting?

https://www.kmcchain.eu/connector-KMC_MissingLink_12_EPT_Silver_non%e2%80%93reusable-road_cross-12_speed

Tim

I have both kmc and sram eagle links. The KMC is a little wider, making for excessive side clearance, but it worked ok too.

PsiSquared
12-01-2019, 04:22 PM

Why is it the best? Isn't the pin in the SRAM link longer than the pin in the KMC link?

Dave
12-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Why is it the best? Isn't the pin in the SRAM link longer than the pin in the KMC link?

No it's not. The kmc 12 chain and its quick link are wider than any other 12 speed chain.

PsiSquared
12-01-2019, 07:08 PM
No it's not. The kmc 12 chain and its quick link are wider than any other 12 speed chain.

Aren't the pins on SRAM 12 speed chains 5.25mm long? KMC says their 12 speed pins are 5.2mm long.

Dave
12-02-2019, 08:27 AM
Pin length is not the only criteria to consider when selecting a quick link. I have both the KMC and Eagle 12 links. The pin length on the KMC link is .212 inch or 5.4mm and the Eagle pins are .209 inch or 5.3mm.

If the links are installed on a Campy 12 chain, there is a big difference in clearance between the two links. The KMC link will have a clearance between the inner and outer plates of .014-.015 inch, while the Eagle link will be about half that amount. A new chain will usually have a clearance in the .004-.008 inch range. Quick link clearances to tend to be larger than the rest of the chain, but the Eagle link produces a better fit than the KMC.

The pin lengths on the chains won't always be the same as a quick link. An Eagle chain measures .207 inch or 5.25mm, which is only .002 inch less than the quick links. A campy chain measure .203 inch or 5.15mm. I don't have a KMC chain to measure.

DrewK
12-02-2019, 09:10 AM
I pin Shimano chains, pin Campy chains, and run QL's in Sram. Coincidentally, Sram is generally MTB only.

PsiSquared
12-02-2019, 10:20 AM
Pin length is not the only criteria to consider when selecting a quick link. I have both the KMC and Eagle 12 links. The pin length on the KMC link is .212 inch or 5.4mm and the Eagle pins are .209 inch or 5.3mm.

If the links are installed on a Campy 12 chain, there is a big difference in clearance between the two links. The KMC link will have a clearance between the inner and outer plates of .014-.015 inch, while the Eagle link will be about half that amount. A new chain will usually have a clearance in the .004-.008 inch range. Quick link clearances to tend to be larger than the rest of the chain, but the Eagle link produces a better fit than the KMC.

The pin lengths on the chains won't always be the same as a quick link. An Eagle chain measures .207 inch or 5.25mm, which is only .002 inch less than the quick links. A campy chain measure .203 inch or 5.15mm. I don't have a KMC chain to measure.

How many "uses" are you getting out of a SRAM quick link?

Dave
12-02-2019, 10:28 AM
How many "uses" are you getting out of a SRAM quick link?

Can't say yet. I just started using the eagle quick link.

madsciencenow
08-12-2020, 08:53 AM
Can't say yet. I just started using the eagle quick link.

Any update on this? Curious.

Thanks!

Dave
08-12-2020, 04:38 PM
I go by the feel and sound, when I click the link into place. I installed and removed an AXS 12 link, many times in one day, while testing different chain lengths. That link may have a dozen uses, but now it's segregated, just to use for testing.

If you're doing 500 mile chain rotations, I'd be comfortable with 6 uses, as long as there's some click left, when it's joined. That's usually the life of one chain.

jkbrwn
02-24-2021, 08:33 PM
Okay so this may be due to chain wear but I haven't got a chain wear tool. For what it's worth, it sits nicely on the chainrings and cassette and shifts perfectly.

Anyway, I was giving it the beans up a short climb today and my chorus 12 chain snapped at the (unsanctioned, but well known) SRAM Eagle 12 speed quick link. It's been totally fine up until now. This obviously has raised warning flags and purely out of caution, I probably won't do this again. My first crash in a very long time. A little bit of road rash on my knee and hands but I think I'm fine. So is the bike.

Anyway, is there yet a cheaper tool that will allow me to install a pin with a new Campag chain? Or is the campag tool still the only option?

Or has anyone tried the 12 speed Connex chain with their own proven quick link? (Not that I can find any stock). Or the KMC 12 speed chains?

Or do I just count it as bad luck and give it another go with Campag chain and SRAM quick link? To be fair I got a lot of use out of this one...

oldpotatoe
02-25-2021, 06:01 AM
Okay so this may be due to chain wear but I haven't got a chain wear tool. For what it's worth, it sits nicely on the chainrings and cassette and shifts perfectly.

Anyway, I was giving it the beans up a short climb today and my chorus 12 chain snapped at the (unsanctioned, but well known) SRAM Eagle 12 speed quick link. It's been totally fine up until now. This obviously has raised warning flags and purely out of caution, I probably won't do this again. My first crash in a very long time. A little bit of road rash on my knee and hands but I think I'm fine. So is the bike.

Anyway, is there yet a cheaper tool that will allow me to install a pin with a new Campag chain? Or is the campag tool still the only option?

Or has anyone tried the 12 speed Connex chain with their own proven quick link? (Not that I can find any stock). Or the KMC 12 speed chains?

Or do I just count it as bad luck and give it another go with Campag chain and SRAM quick link? To be fair I got a lot of use out of this one...

DOH...the Pedro's Tutto chain tool will work on 12s and the Park CT4.3 does too. BUT, look around..I'll bet you can find a proper Campag tool for not a whole lot more than the Pedros tool.

A chain, using a 12s link, that broke at that link..hmmm.. Whatdoyathink?

KMC 12s link?

mcteague
02-25-2021, 06:51 AM
DOH...the Pedro's Tutto chain tool will work on 12s and the Park CT4.3 does too. BUT, look around..I'll bet you can find a proper Campag tool for not a whole lot more than the Pedros tool.

KMC 12s link?

I've used links on Campy 11s for years. They work fine but seem to start clicking after a while and I install a new one. When I got Record 12s I tried the Park peening tool but the pin broke. So, I used a 12 KMC link instead. After a month or so the chain broke at the link, not the link itself. I suspect I may have damaged the chain using the Park tool not perfectly centered on the pin. Anyway, off to my local Campy guy who charged me $10 to properly peen it with the official tool. I was tempted to get the tool myself but I don't think I'll get enough new chains to offset the cost.

Tim

buddybikes
02-25-2021, 07:17 AM
What tools do people use to install (or just force) and deinstall?

jkbrwn
02-25-2021, 08:34 AM

KMC 12s link?

Well I can't ride currently so need to figure something out asap. Hunting around for the campag tool isn't really optimal right now.

KMC 12 links don't fit very well I don't think. Cycling tips published an article on quick links and the closest match to a campag chain is sram eagles quick link. It's 0.05mm thicker I think.

Dave
02-25-2021, 08:43 AM
with a Campy 12, the same tool used to install the joining pin is used to remove excess links or remove the chain by first removing a pin. The Campy tool does it all.

If quick links are being used, quick link pliers are used to squeeze the link together, so it can be removed. Many brands are available.

I've been using quick links since they were first introduced. To fit properly, the side clearance should not exceed 0.012 inch or .3mm, and 0.008 inch or .2mm is better. Too little side clearance is also bad.

KMC links will have more side than is desirable with a Campy chain. Wipperman 12 speed links are still vaporware - shown on their website, but unavailable.

I've never bought a shimano 12 link to measure.

charliedid
02-25-2021, 08:53 AM

Ouch that is nightmare stuff, glad you are okay.The SRAM Quick Link broke or the campy link it was connected to?

jkbrwn
02-25-2021, 09:02 AM
Ouch that is nightmare stuff, glad you are okay.The link broke or the campy link it was connected to?

I was very lucky that I was going uphill to be honest. I hate to think what it would have looked like had I been going downhill much faster.

The campag link it was connected to broke. The SRAM link looked totally fine!

charliedid
02-25-2021, 09:20 AM
I was very lucky that I was going uphill to be honest. I hate to think what it would have looked like had I been going downhill much faster.

Okay as I suspected for whatever reason. This is a brand new drive train on the Seven right? How far cross chain might you have been?

I'm always a bit squeamish when people talk about how light a chain is. I have no idea what caused it but have to wonder about the mix and match with the SRAM link I guess.

madsciencenow
02-25-2021, 09:21 AM

Do you recall if you had ever removed the link to remove the chain? I’ve been using the sram Eagle link with Record 12 groupo (may be a SR chain, I don’t recall) and SR cassette with no issues.

This said, your experience is a bit concerning for me. I thought about this for a long time before going with the link over the pin and peening. I also considered a bunch of different tools and you’ll find folks that indicate all the various brands of tools for pin peening will work but I also read reviews where guys had problems with every tool except the Campy tool. My thinking was that if I’m going to peen because it’s better than the Eagle link the tool needs to work. After looking at the cost for the tool I decided to give the link a go. Now I’m seriously second guessing myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkbrwn
02-25-2021, 09:58 AM
Do you recall if you had ever removed the link to remove the chain? I’ve been using the sram Eagle link with Record 12 groupo (may be a SR chain, I don’t recall) and SR cassette with no issues.

This said, your experience is a bit concerning for me. I thought about this for a long time before going with the link over the pin and peening. I also considered a bunch of different tools and you’ll find folks that indicate all the various brands of tools for pin peening will work but I also read reviews where guys had problems with every tool except the Campy tool. My thinking was that if I’m going to peen because it’s better than the Eagle link the tool needs to work. After looking at the cost for the tool I decided to give the link a go. Now I’m seriously second guessing myself.

Okay, so home truth. I'm really bad at replacing consumables, or rather, knowing when to. I worked it out last night and this chain/cassette has 3800km on it - so for all intents and purposes - the chain at least should've been replaced a while ago. I don't want to tarnish anyone's opinion on using the Eagle quick link, because I also had no issues up to this point - but ya know - it happened.

I unequivocally have never tried to loosen or remove the quick link. The chain has not come off since it's installation.

Right now, I think I'm going to go down the route of ordering the Pedro tool. It's worth trying at least. And I'll also grab a chain wear indicator!

With that said, the page listing for the 12 speed pin on Excel's website says:

Must be installed and peened with Campagnolo CN-UT300 Chain Tool

But Pedro's claim the Tutto peens a 12 speed pin. So who knows..........

jkbrwn
02-25-2021, 10:41 AM
Okay as I suspected for whatever reason. This is a brand new drive train on the Seven right? How far cross chain might you have been?

I'm always a bit squeamish when people talk about how light a chain is. I have no idea what caused it but have to wonder about the mix and match with the SRAM link I guess.

Missed this.

It's brand new, yep. Another caveat, I'm using Praxis rings which aren't technically sanctioned for 12sp use. So there's lots of cheating going on here.

I was in the middle of my cassette and in my 34. I am generally good at not cross chaining or misbehaving in that regard. Though I do sometimes shift under load :no:

torelli
02-25-2021, 10:54 AM
The Unior Master chain tool also has a peening bit. Nice hefty construction, I plan to use it for the first time to install new Campy chain and peen it. Have used it install other chains and it works great. btw if you don't have a chain checker tool the one they make is the best hands down.

charliedid
02-25-2021, 11:00 AM
Missed this.

It's brand new, yep. Another caveat, I'm using Praxis rings which aren't technically sanctioned for 12sp use. So there's lots of cheating going on here.

I was in the middle of my cassette and in my 34. I am generally good at not cross chaining or misbehaving in that regard. Though I do sometimes shift under load :no:

Good info glad you are okay.

cgolvin
02-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Just FWIW, Jake, I have 3800 miles on my Chorus 12 groupset using the Eagle link and (fingers crossed) no problems. Lots more kms than you had but my chain length checker is not even close to 0.5 of 'stretch'.

I used to have the Park Tool that purports to work for Campy chains but it never worked, repeatedly broke the tool's pin, and eventually I just gave up and sold it. Given time wasted and dealing with Park to get replacements, any savings versus the Campy tool were illusory.

Has anyone used the Abbey Bike Tools one? I think that is supposed to work with Campy -- also expensive but very pretty.

If you haven't already ordered the Pedro's tool, perhaps we (and another Campy-loving SoCal Paceliner or three?) could pool our resources? After all, they don't get used very often.

jkbrwn
02-25-2021, 11:33 AM
Just FWIW, Jake, I have 3800 miles on my Chorus 12 groupset using the Eagle link and (fingers crossed) no problems. Lots more kms than you had but my chain length checker is not even close to 0.5 of 'stretch'.

I used to have the Park Tool that purports to work for Campy chains but it never worked, repeatedly broke the tool's pin, and eventually I just gave up and sold it. Given time wasted and dealing with Park to get replacements, any savings versus the Campy tool were illusory.

Has anyone used the Abbey Bike Tools one? I think that is supposed to work with Campy -- also expensive but very pretty.

If you haven't already ordered the Pedro's tool, perhaps we (and another Campy-loving SoCal Paceliner or three?) could pool our resources? After all, they don't get used very often.

See, this is my conundrum that I keep going back and forth on. I think this should have been fine. I know what a stretched chain feels like and this chain did not feel stretched to ride.

Every time I say to myself: yes I am just going to do it and buy the tool, another part of me thinks.... buuuuut I have been totally fine. Ugh. I dunno.

The Abbey Tool is beautiful indeed.

cgolvin
02-25-2021, 11:41 AM
The Abbey Tool is beautiful indeed.

Alas, sold out. Paging @FriarQuade, any insight on future availability?

madsciencenow
02-25-2021, 11:45 AM
Okay, so home truth. I'm really bad at replacing consumables, or rather, knowing when to. I worked it out last night and this chain/cassette has 3800km on it - so for all intents and purposes - the chain at least should've been replaced a while ago. I don't want to tarnish anyone's opinion on using the Eagle quick link, because I also had no issues up to this point - but ya know - it happened.

I unequivocally have never tried to loosen or remove the quick link. The chain has not come off since it's installation.

Right now, I think I'm going to go down the route of ordering the Pedro tool. It's worth trying at least. And I'll also grab a chain wear indicator!

With that said, the page listing for the 12 speed pin on Excel's website says:

Must be installed and peened with Campagnolo CN-UT300 Chain Tool

But Pedro's claim the Tutto peens a 12 speed pin. So who knows..........

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if maybe miles and praxis rings are the culprit? We will probably never know but curious if those are 11 speed rings only and how they differ from Campy 12 rings?

jkbrwn
02-25-2021, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if maybe miles and praxis rings are the culprit? We will probably never know but curious if those are 11 speed rings only and how they differ from Campy 12 rings?

From what I've read from Craig, the issue is less the profile of the rings and more the chainline of the crank. Still........ you wouldn't think it'd cause a link to crack under load. But yes, we'll never know. I really need to order some Chorus cranks....

jkbrwn
02-25-2021, 05:19 PM
Well, the answer here was to overnight an Abbey Decade from Fair Weather and buy a chain from my LBS so that I can ride this weekend. I called every single Campagnolo dealer within a couple of hours of me to see if anyone had a Campagnolo chain tool and nobody did, nor did any of them stock a peen capable chain tool. Looking forward to using an Abbey tool for the first time.

Bici-Sonora
10-31-2021, 12:35 PM
I need a new quick link for my Campy 12s chain on my Chorus 12 group. After reading this thread, I decided to go with Sram Eagle 12s.

I'm just verifying that this eagle 12s is the one I want (Stamped 456): https://www.amazon.com/Sram-Powerlock-Connector-Chain-Chains/dp/B06VVMZN1W/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1HKE7LQGNZHB9&dchild=1&keywords=sram+eagle+12+speed+quick+link&qid=1635704993&sprefix=sram+eagle+12+speed+qui%2Caps%2C245&sr=8-11

They have one called the "Power Lock Road 12s (model 810)" Anybody tried this? https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Road-PowerLock-Silver-4-Pack/dp/B07PWJ7N2F/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1HKE7LQGNZHB9&dchild=1&keywords=sram+eagle+12+speed+quick+link&qid=1635704678&sprefix=sram+eagle+12+speed+qui%2Caps%2C245&sr=8-9

cgolvin
10-31-2021, 01:14 PM
I need a new quick link for my Campy 12s chain on my Chorus 12 group. After reading this thread, I decided to go with Sram Eagle 12s.

I'm just verifying that this eagle 12s is the one I want (Stamped 456): https://www.amazon.com/Sram-Powerlock-Connector-Chain-Chains/dp/B06VVMZN1W/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1HKE7LQGNZHB9&dchild=1&keywords=sram+eagle+12+speed+quick+link&qid=1635704993&sprefix=sram+eagle+12+speed+qui%2Caps%2C245&sr=8-11

I just looked at my replacement stock and it looks like the one linked above (stamped "SRAM 12S" but a different number at the other end). I'm on my second 12s chain using these, total of more than 7k miles and trouble free.

jkbrwn
10-31-2021, 02:01 PM
No - don’t do road. Has to be eagle 12. Road 12 is a flat-top chain and is a totally different shape.

Jeff N.
10-31-2021, 05:19 PM
Eagle works fine for me.

Jared Purdy
11-05-2021, 04:59 PM
Building up bike with Campy Record 12 speed and wanted to see what experiences forumites have had regarding the chain. Manual says it needs to be installed with the special pin and be peened, but I do not have a peening tool and hoping not to need to purchase one.

Anybody have any experience with a quick link that would be compatible with the campy drivetrain? I see SRAM has one for their 12 speed eagle drivetrains. I think KMC also has a 12 speed chain, but have not found a source for just the quick link.

May be worth it to bring it to the LBS to have the chain installed, but concerned about their fluency with Campy speak.

I just discovered that a used 2017 Colnago C60 with Record 11 that I just bought has a Sram power link on the chain. The seller didn't disclose this (given his apparent lack of maintenance knowledge, he may not have even known that his shop installed it.)

The chain has 1mm of wear on it, and shifts beautifully through all the gears. I've used Campy components for over forty years, and I have never used their proprietary preening chain tool.

I've always just used a standard Park tool, and I raced in the mid 80's for about 4 years. I've always done my own maintenance. Mind you, this is my first encounter with the Sram power link on one of my chains. I've ordered two more for additional 11 speed chains, and I'm going to order a 10 speed power link for my other Colnago.

Dave
11-05-2021, 06:00 PM

They have one called the "Power Lock Road 12s (model 810)" Anybody tried this? https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Road-PowerLock-Silver-4-Pack/dp/B07PWJ7N2F/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1HKE7LQGNZHB9&dchild=1&keywords=sram+eagle+12+speed+quick+link&qid=1635704678&sprefix=sram+eagle+12+speed+qui%2Caps%2C245&sr=8-9

The power lock road is an axs link - too narrow.