PDA

View Full Version : Fender mounting ?

pjbaz
01-26-2019, 12:55 PM
I bought SKS Raceblade fenders and upon final adjustment realized they won't work bc the front is too tight between the fork crown and tire. So, while I believe I can just mount them to a different bike I have, I still want them on this one. My question is, can I mount a modified (shortened) bracket behind the fork - thereby having one in front of the fork, one behind and nothing under where the tire is rubbing - safely? Or am I spreading out the forces, or focusing them in some negative way? RaceXXXlight cf if that matters. 1697973662

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

palincss
01-26-2019, 01:05 PM
Others have had the same problem and have devised a similar solution.

https://vintagebicyclerestoration.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/2014-10-29-001-004.jpg

You might find this article (https://restoringvintagebicycles.com/tag/reach-around-fender-brackets/) of interest.

donevwil
01-26-2019, 01:17 PM
You might want to check out a Problem Solvers Sheldon Fender Nut (https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-Solvers-Sheldon-Fender-Nuts-Set-WFront-and-Rear?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImpqU_ZOM4AIVhABpCh0R_wFREAQYASAB EgLZ3vD_BwE) or similar, cut, bend or re-create the tab that goes beneath the crown and screw it to the back of the brake nut.

01-26-2019, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure I see the problem. These are Raceblades? They don't go through under the fork crown. They stop right behind the fork crown and that's it. So you don't have a problem unless your down tube is so tight against the wheel that the fenders don't fit there.

If you are trying to fit full SKS fenders in the front, River City Cycles has some metal brackets that let you fit both front and rear fenders by cutting them at the seat stay bridge or fork crown and using the brackets to handle the gap. You can also make such brackets from the stainless Blackburn rack mounts that bike shops always seem to have oodles of and will usually give away for the asking.

I've used all the variants, and in really wet mucky weather I like full fenders but for most rain the Raceblades are just fine on their own. Whichever you get, the big secret is to get some Buddyflaps. These are long fender flaps, better than anything you can make or buy elsewhere, that drop almost to the ground and keep front wheel spray from shooting up on you under the bottom of the front fender. They also keep the rear wheel from spraying your riding buddy.

pobrien
01-27-2019, 08:30 AM
What size tire do you have on your bike? is the tire hitting the bracket under the fork crown? The tire appears to be on the larger size. It might be the photo.

As noted, there will be a gap on either side of the fork. Your installation looks about how mine is (I had a shop install them as part of the bike build).

pjbaz
01-27-2019, 02:42 PM
What size tire do you have on your bike? is the tire hitting the bracket under the fork crown? The tire appears to be on the larger size. It might be the photo.

As noted, there will be a gap on either side of the fork. Your installation looks about how mine is (I had a shop install them as part of the bike build).

23C on a tight clearance fork. The gap I understand, but the rubbing so as not to allow the wheel to spin is the issue lol. I'm about to get creative with my bench vise and some misc. metal I picked up to create a better fit behind the fork. :banana:

pjbaz
01-27-2019, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure I see the problem. These are Raceblades? They don't go through under the fork crown. They stop right behind the fork crown and that's it. So you don't have a problem unless your down tube is so tight against the wheel that the fenders don't fit there.

According to the instructions they do, and with the tight clearance between tire and crown I have an issue. Not a huge worry, as I'll be working up a solution this afternoon.