PDA

View Full Version : Who DOESN'T want a gravel bike?

tsarpepe
01-26-2019, 11:00 AM
Many moons from now, after the apocalypse, when an alien race comes to visit our ravaged and depopulated planet, and somehow all they find are the Paceline archives from the last couple of years, they may conclude that something inexplicable must have happened in these years: the asphalted roads in the Western world must have all crumbled at the same time, turning into gravel! How else to explain the fact that 90% of people on Paceline are buying, building, or craving to buy/build gravel bikes?!

I am starting this thread for the benefit of alien historians of the distant future. Make yourself heard if you don't want a gravel bike; if the roads in your duchy or principality can still accommodate good-old road bikes; if you can still survive a ride on 25c or even--oh, the horror!--23c tires!

XXtwindad
01-26-2019, 11:06 AM
Many moons from now, after the apocalypse, when an alien race comes to visit our ravaged and depopulated planet, and somehow all they find are the Paceline archives from the last couple of years, they may conclude that something inexplicable must have happened in these years: the asphalted roads in the Western world must have all crumbled at the same time, turning into gravel! How else to explain the fact that 90% of people on Paceline are buying, building, or craving to buy/build gravel bikes?!

I am starting this thread for the benefit of alien historians of the distant future. Make yourself heard if you don't want a gravel bike; if the roads in your city can still accommodate good-old road bikes; if you can still survive a ride on 25c or even--oh, the horror!--23c tires!

I have (ahem!) two gravel bikes, and am planning on getting a third, but I really enjoyed your prose. 🙂

tv_vt
01-26-2019, 11:37 AM
How else to explain the fact that 90% of people on Paceline are buying, building, or craving to buy/build gravel bikes?!

I am starting this thread for the benefit of alien historians of the distant future. Make yourself heard if you don't want a gravel bike; if the roads in your city can still accommodate good-old road bikes; if you can still survive a ride on 25c or even--oh, the horror!--23c tires!

Count me among the 10%. 23mm and 25mm tires do it for me almost all the time.

Unless I have to count my Hampsten Strada Bianca as a gravel bike. It does easily take 32mm tires. But it's really a go-anywhere bike and it still has lovely rim brakes instead of those god-awful looking discs.

Ralph
01-26-2019, 11:39 AM
Haven't bought one yet.

Rusty Luggs
01-26-2019, 11:42 AM
I have multiple road bikes, most run 23's, none have bigger than 25's. I have cyclocross bikes that fit nothing larger than 35's and have done several fairly rugged "gravel" events with 32's.
I haven't been on any of my ancient 26er mountain bikes in at least 5 years.

Dave
01-26-2019, 12:04 PM
No gravel bike for me. My roads are fine. 23mm tires forever.

I should also note that even though a live in a rural area west of Loveland, I can't remember ever seeing a road that wasn't paved, unless it merely goes a short distance to a home or small rural subdivision.

dieonthishill
01-26-2019, 12:06 PM
I have a follow-up question...are the people that are using 23c tires still using horse and carriage instead of a car? :)

JStonebarger
01-26-2019, 12:09 PM
I ride gravel on occasion. On a 'cross bike. Or a mountain bike. Why would I want a gravel bike?

tylercheung
01-26-2019, 12:11 PM
I love my current rim bike, it has 25 mm tires on archetypes. It rides fine. Granted potholes and chipseal feel like potholes and chipseal.

I also kinda wandered into a disc bike w/ 25 mm tires on HED Belgian +, which I assume is kinda like 28 mm tires and potholes and chipseal also feel like potholes and chipseal. I guess it does feel a smidge cushier...

I was musing on getting gravel except I just realized I've never actually gotten off my butt to find the local gravel roads, so maybe I should do that before I glom onto gravel bikes...

and just as a coincidence I just found this:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/01/22/all-road-bikes-are-the-road-bikes-of-the-future/

unterhausen
01-26-2019, 12:19 PM
the county south of us is turning paved rural roads back to gravel. I think they have been doing it for years, but the pace has accelerated. They are usually smoother than the pavement, so it's' not all bad.

tylercheung
01-26-2019, 12:23 PM
the county south of us is turning paved rural roads back to gravel. I think they have been doing it for years, but the pace has accelerated. They are usually smoother than the pavement, so it's' not all bad.

This is sad. It feels like the fall of the Roman empire/Pax Americana...

jtbadge
01-26-2019, 12:50 PM
I ride gravel on occasion. On a 'cross bike. Or a mountain bike. Why would I want a gravel bike?

I mean, a cross bike is pretty much the same thing as a “gravel” bike. You already have a gravel bike!

Marketing.

unterhausen
01-26-2019, 12:52 PM
Unless it's really recent, a cross bike means that it doesn't take very big tires

This is sad. It feels like the fall of the Roman empire/Pax Americana...
In this case it's a combo of no economic activity and people that don't want to or can't pay a more reasonable tax rate. They all have 4x4 trucks, so I guess the gravel is okay.

gdw
01-26-2019, 12:56 PM
I'm not a member of the bike of the month club and have no need for a gravel bike. My current hardtail MTB is set up for all day riding and can be equipped with skinnier tires if needed.for pure dirt/gravel road rides.

Tickdoc
01-26-2019, 12:56 PM
I don’t have one. I don’t want one. I have a sort of gravel bike but I label it a “commuter”, and that is as close as I plan on coming to the gravel.

ThasFACE
01-26-2019, 01:03 PM
Haven't been tempted by a 'gravel' bike just yet, but I really want to give a road disc setup a go. Maybe that's basically the same thing.

redir
01-26-2019, 01:07 PM
I have a cyclocross bike, does that count?

mtechnica
01-26-2019, 01:13 PM

This. My cross bike has 42c tires. Anyway I wouldn't go out of my way to ride on gravel, it's more of an "if I really have to" situation.

charliedid
01-26-2019, 01:23 PM

What I want is you to want you you want not what I want.

Morgul Bismark
01-26-2019, 01:33 PM
I have a gravel bike (B-Road). When I got it last year I thought I'd ride it more often. We have excellent road riding locally though, so it turns out my gravel bike is underutilized. More than likely I may wind up selling it in the next few months.

DRZRM
01-26-2019, 01:41 PM
I have a few laps I like in Rothrock near Mt. Tussey, but can you send me a bit more detail on this? Either here or by PM. I'd like to branch out some, especially as my long awaited Zanconato gravel bike should be finished in the next few weeks.

To the OP, the roads are too narrow here, and frankly I just feel safer on the dirt roads where you may see one vehicle every few rides rather than being constantly passed by pickups on a road bike.

oldpotatoe
01-26-2019, 01:45 PM
Don’t have a ‘gravel grinder’ nor do I want one. Ride dirt roads fairly regularly(Moots, 27mm Pave tubulars) but just don’t really like it, compared to smoothness and silkiness of the road. Yes, yes, less safe but choose where you ride and ride smart and all will be ok...:)

corky
01-26-2019, 02:05 PM
Don’t really have gravel roads in the UK ....so no

dancinkozmo
01-26-2019, 02:06 PM
gravel bikes r stoopid.

Matthew
01-26-2019, 02:14 PM
Gravel sucks. Don't understand the allure honestly. I have a mountain bike. Can ride that if I feel the need to ride a dirt road. Have done a couple 50 mile organized rides on gravel with it and was just not thrilled about it. I could see if I was riding mountain roads or hills but flat farm land is not terribly exciting.

R3awak3n
01-26-2019, 02:15 PM
Yall realize that gravel bikes also work on the road right? Its not like people are buying these bikes that can only be used on rocks.

Unlike a mtb, a "gravel" bike or a bike that fits multiple tire sizes as I prefer to call it can be used on dirt, single track and when you put some road tires you can ride on the road with your friends.

My open has more miles on road with 32mm tires than it has on gravel (that will change soon I hope because gravel is 10000x more fun to ride than road imo of course - actually I love mixed pavement rides, that is the BEST).

Ride what you want, why is everyone so preoccupied with what other people buy or ride or do? Ride your bike or don't.... should we not be happy that this whole gravel bike thing is putting more money through bike shops and bike companies?

jtbadge
01-26-2019, 02:16 PM
Ride what you want, why is everyone so preoccupied with what other people buy or ride or do? Ride your bike or don't.... should we not be happy that this whole gravel bike thing is putting more money through bike shops and bike companies?

+1 - more options is more better

dancinkozmo
01-26-2019, 02:23 PM
Yall realize that gravel bikes also work on the road right?

you realize road bikes work on the gravel ?

jtbadge
01-26-2019, 02:27 PM

Just because it may "work" doesn't mean it's enjoyable, comfortable, or fast. Just because "gravel" in your part of the world is great on a road bike doesn't mean that is always true. Two places I have lived, Kansas gravel and LA gravel, would be abysmal on a road bike. Huge, chunky "pavement" and either constant rolling hills or grueling fire road climbing. Hard pass to riding either on a (traditional) road bike.

shinomaster
01-26-2019, 02:28 PM
I don’t want a gravel bike because my Zank CX bike is more than adequate.

tsarpepe
01-26-2019, 02:42 PM
I have a cyclocross bike, does that count?

When I joined the forum, some 15 years ago, there were roadies, cross bikes, mountain bikes, hybrids, and tourers. Apparently, marketing geniuses realized that the bike enthusiasts are a small crowd, and most of them already have multiple bikes. The only way to squeeze more cash out of us is to introduce a new category of riding, with a sub-lifestyle to match. Enter the gravel bike!

Spaghetti Legs
01-26-2019, 03:21 PM
My bikes are magic. They look like and are called road bikes and sometimes I ride them on gravel roads, at which point they transmogrify into gravel bikes. When they get back onto asphalt, they magically turn back into road bikes. Here’s one of them:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4880/46161141884_059194d014_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dk6VfC)

charliedid
01-26-2019, 03:26 PM
When I joined the forum, some 15 years ago, there were roadies, cross bikes, mountain bikes, hybrids, and tourers. Apparently, marketing geniuses realized that the bike enthusiasts are a small crowd, and most of them already have multiple bikes. The only way to squeeze more cash out of us is to introduce a new category of riding, with a sub-lifestyle to match. Enter the gravel bike!

Feeling squeezed?

dancinkozmo
01-26-2019, 03:27 PM
Just because it may "work" doesn't mean it's enjoyable, comfortable, or fast. Just because "gravel" in your part of the world is great on a road bike doesn't mean that is always true. Two places I have lived, Kansas gravel and LA gravel, would be abysmal on a road bike. Huge, chunky "pavement" and either constant rolling hills or grueling fire road climbing. Hard pass to riding either on a (traditional) road bike.

sounds like somebody got suckered into buying a 'gravel bike'

:banana: :banana: :banana:

jtbadge
01-26-2019, 03:31 PM
sounds like somebody got suckered into buying a 'gravel bike'

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Nah, I have a cyclocross bike

johnniecakes
01-26-2019, 03:33 PM
No gravel bike for me. My roads are fine. 23mm tires forever.

Preach it brother! I am with you

joosttx
01-26-2019, 03:34 PM

I don't think marketing folk developed the gravel bike. We were riding cross bikes and light touring bikes with canti's and the widest road tires or the thinnest filed cyclocross tires we could find way before there was gravel bike specific stuff. Obviously, I'm talking about the last 10-15 years. Then companies developed frames and tires and components to improve the gravel bike. IMO, they were filling a demand.

Lovers of gravel riding introduced that category and companies met the demand. Companies need to make money, therefore, they market their products so you will buy them. I think that's the order of business for the gravel bike.

tsarpepe
01-26-2019, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=Spaghetti Legs;2491466]My bikes are magic. They look like and are called road bikes and sometimes I ride them on gravel roads, at which point they transmogrify into gravel bikes. When they get back onto asphalt, they magically turn back into road bikes. Here’s one of them:

Hmmm... That can't be right. I'm sure you're missing some ineffable shade of experience on those country roads, and you don't even know it.

johnniecakes
01-26-2019, 03:37 PM
I have a follow-up question...are the people that are using 23c tires still using horse and carriage instead of a car? :)

Nope, just riding what we like without judging others choices

XXtwindad
01-26-2019, 03:43 PM
I like wider tires and disc brakes. Don't care about racing...

smokersteve
01-26-2019, 03:57 PM
Gravel...NO thanks!!!

54ny77
01-26-2019, 04:02 PM
I can forsee myself owning a gravelbike at some point soon, but in my mind I'd want a road bike with front and rear suspension, or at least a hard tail with a suspension seatpost .

Basically a lightweight cross country mtb with road bars.

I may end up doing just that.

cmg
01-26-2019, 04:13 PM
4 road bikes, all with 23s. i'll never go to something wider. even the single speed has 23s. tried 25s a couple years ago, nope, sluggish. better aero performance, i'm 200lbs, i'm not aero. gravel? is it about the reduced chance of auto entanglements? play in traffic. what's life without a little stress. i'll take my chances with traffic, no gravel.

Burnette
01-26-2019, 04:14 PM
I don't think marketing folk developed the gravel bike. We were riding cross bikes and light touring bikes with canti's and the widest road tires or the thinnest filed cyclocross tires we could find way before there was gravel bike specific stuff. Obviously, I'm talking about the last 10-15 years. Then companies developed frames and tires and components to improve the gravel bike. IMO, they were filling a demand.

Lovers of gravel riding introduced that category and companies met the demand. Companies need to make money, therefore, they market their products so you will buy them. I think that's the order of business for the gravel bike.

I have pointed this out too, consumers drove the market. I have been riding a cyclocross bike on the road and gravel since '06.

"Like most trends, this one didn’t start within the industry. Bike manufacturers only reluctantly adopted wide tires on performance bikes. Even then, they called them ‘gravel bikes,’ in the hopes of selling one to every cyclist, in addition to the ‘road,’ ‘mountain,’ and ‘cyclocross’ bikes they already owned. But ‘gravel’ was too limiting a term for something that is much more than just a bike for the special condition of riding on gravel.

Recently, bike companies have adopted the name ‘all-road bikes,’ a term we coined way back in 2006, when we realized the potential of wide tires on performance bikes. It’s great to see cycling luminaries like Richard Bryne (founder of Speedplay) say: “The potential of this bike category cannot be underestimated.” He predicts that all-road bikes will “dwarf the previous road and MTB categories in scale and relegate them to the two margins of the market spectrum.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/janheine.wordpress.com/2019/01/22/all-road-bikes-are-the-road-bikes-of-the-future/amp/

R3awak3n
01-26-2019, 04:15 PM

jtbadge has a great answer, I have nothing to add here except I have 3 road bikes that I have ridden in gravel. There is gravel and gravel.

exaclty

I don’t want a gravel bike because my Zank CX bike is more than adequate.

cx bikes work fine on gravel, I prefer road geo and don't do cx so when buying something new I choose what they call a gravel bike, if I already had a cx bike I would probably use that.

if marketing makes a good bike let it be. The new breed of gravel bikes are excellent.

exactly

gemship
01-26-2019, 04:18 PM
I think gravel bikes are just plain rad but I don't have one. They make a lot of sense. I also see them as a close relative to cyclocross bikes and touring bikes. Not a major evolution but a bike that can do more than a road bike without sacrificing handling character. Someday if I feel rich I may have one but as of now I have bikes that don't get ridden enough, a whole lotta money thrown as said bikes. Since I don't ride much let alone gravel and I am married to my job which means the area in which I live when/if I do ride it's a nice sunny day off. So there in lies the nugget for as to what's the point of buying a bike thats overkill for the street? Currently I have a full suspension road bike and live next door to some amazing technical trials kinda mountain biking with small but fast descents, climbs, jumps and yet I don't ride it much so the gravel bike unfortunately would just be for show.

R3awak3n
01-26-2019, 04:18 PM
My bikes are magic. They look like and are called road bikes and sometimes I ride them on gravel roads, at which point they transmogrify into gravel bikes. When they get back onto asphalt, they magically turn back into road bikes. Here’s one of them:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4880/46161141884_059194d014_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dk6VfC)

also lol, I have pavement roads around here that are in worst condition than the "gravel" on that picture.

You guys have to realize that there is some roads that actually benefit from bigger tires.

But like I said, ride what you want, spend money on what you want. I have a bike with 23s, it rides great but I would not want to do D2R2 with it and D2R2 gravel is for the most part pretty tame.

tsarpepe
01-26-2019, 04:35 PM
You guys have to realize that there is some roads that actually benefit from bigger tires.

"We" realize that. I guess what "we" are saying is that 10 years ago most people on this forum stayed away from such roads, or somehow made do if they had to ride on them once in a while. What "we" are puzzled by is how so quickly so many people got convinced that they will be riding on such roads (whether they actually do is a different matter), and that, therefore, they absolutely need a gravel bike.

Spdntrxi
01-26-2019, 04:43 PM
I didn't want one well neutral about it anyways... a Parlee Zero XD frame fell into my lap for a price too cheap to pass up... rest is history.

R3awak3n
01-26-2019, 04:51 PM
"We" realize that. I guess what "we" are saying is that 10 years ago most people on this forum stayed away from such roads, or somehow made do if they had to ride on them once in a while. What "we" are puzzled by is how so quickly so many people got convinced that they will be riding on such roads (whether they actually do is a different matter), and that, therefore, they absolutely need a gravel bike.

30 years ago everyone rode dt shifters, no one complained, now you barely see them on the road. So many people got quickly convinced to get different shifting?!?! Also does it matter whah people want to buy? Everyone seems pretty salty that other people are buying stuff they dont need

charliedid
01-26-2019, 04:52 PM

So it doesn't really have anything to do with bikes, you just miss your old fraternity? The world keeps changing, man.

bigbill
01-26-2019, 05:00 PM
30 years ago everyone rode dt shifters, no one complained, now you barely see them on the road. So many people got quickly convinced to get different shifting?!?! Also does it matter whah people want to buy? Everyone seems pretty salty that other people are buying stuff they dont need

True. I could ride a tig welded steel frame with Shimano 105 because any more than that would be a waste of money based on my current ability. But I like riding bikes, all kinds of bikes, I've got a couple of road bikes, a gravel bike (Coconino), and a MTB (another Coconino) being built. I even have a Ti bike clamped in a KICKR so I can Zwift through the winter because I'm not badass enough to ride in the windy cold winter.

Bottom line, a gravel bike is a beautiful thing if gravel roads are part of what you enjoy about two wheels.

tylercheung
01-26-2019, 05:04 PM
I would say, some use cases to thing about - rides posted by Velotel in the Alps, hilltoperny and his Drifter. Also there's a healthy group of "bike camping" in the NorCal area.

If ppl have cross bikes, maybe no need for another gravel bike but if buying new and wanting 1 bike in the house w/ a lot of adaptability, certainly "all road" bikes make sense.

dancinkozmo
01-26-2019, 05:04 PM
Everyone seems pretty salty that other people are buying stuff they dont need

not salty...just poking fun at the lemmings as they rush from one fad to the next

weisan
01-26-2019, 05:06 PM
Is this before or after we were completely annihilated?

Hell no! I will try to destroy every trace of evidence that such conversations or arguments ever took place, including disc brakes vs the people, carbon vs the people, tire width vs the people, zwift vs the people etc etc..because they will just further justify their claim that we are a sub-intelligent species that don't deserve to exist or are wasting precious resources.

choke
01-26-2019, 05:10 PM
I guess it depends on how you define 'gravel bike'.

If you mean something with disc brakes that will fit MTB size tires then no, I don't want one. Though I do want a custom frame with rim brakes and 650B tires.

If you mean a road bike that will take 32-35mm tires then yes, I have a few and want more. I've come to the conclusion that I like wider tires and don't ever plan on buying another bike that won't fit anything less than 30mm wide.

tsarpepe
01-26-2019, 05:18 PM
30 years ago everyone rode dt shifters, no one complained, now you barely see them on the road. So many people got quickly convinced to get different shifting?!?!

There are good analogies, and there are bad analogies. This is a bad analogy.

FlashUNC
01-26-2019, 05:25 PM
Not my cuppa. But whatever tickles someone's fancy.

tsarpepe
01-26-2019, 05:34 PM
The world keeps changing, man.

Don't I know it! Now you can have even 50ml of water packaged in a separate plastic bottle. Cheers to progress!

Spaghetti Legs
01-26-2019, 06:11 PM
also lol, I have pavement roads around here that are in worst condition than the "gravel" on that picture.

But like I said, ride what you want, spend money on what you want. I have a bike with 23s, it rides great but I would not want to do D2R2 with it and D2R2 gravel is for the most part pretty tame.

Ha yes, same here. This pic is actually a private drive and I was on similar gravel next to it. I was riding dirt and gravel up in the Blue Ridge off there in the distance. The ride options around here dramatically expand if you’re willing to forego pavement but I don’t think I would want a bike specifically designed for it. Only thing keeping me from riding all of my bikes on gravel is not wanting to ding up a nice bike. This one used to be my racer and is used to taking a beating,

Bonesbrigade
01-26-2019, 06:12 PM
Touchy subject! I’ll give a brief history of how I arrived at a “gravel” bike, which I’m sure isn’t too different from others.

About 15 years ago me and my buddies stumbled upon gravel roads with our road bikes, mostly due to getting lost and trying to find connecting paved routes. This led to slowly exploring these gravel roads as they went to places we’d never been, which was pretty rad. After a bizzilion flat tires we slowly began cobbling together more all-road setups using cx bikes or touring bikes trying to fit the biggest tires we could. We hated not being able to bomb the descents - having to always pick our lines and use our brakes.

This type of riding pretty much continued with a focus on adventure and eventually led to mixed condition racing 5 or 6 years ago. The racing focus further refined the setups, which pretty much brings me to now where I had a custom “gravel bike” built 2 years ago that incorporates all the shortcomings of previous setups to tackle the type of riding I love to do.

Now you just buy that bike pretty dialed off the shelf ! I think that’s pretty awesome.

R3awak3n
01-26-2019, 06:25 PM
not salty...just poking fun at the lemmings as they rush from one fad to the next

And those people will sell their gravel bikes and others will keep em and keep on. I have had a “gravel” bike for a hot minute, before it was a fad and before all the big brands have a bike that is classified as a gravel bike. I welcome whats out there now, the tire choice, wheels choice and frame choice is fantastic.

There are good analogies, and there are bad analogies. This is a bad analogy.

Sorry my anologies are not up to your standards

I move on though. Ride what you want folks. Winter sucks

charliedid
01-26-2019, 06:28 PM
don't i know it! Now you can have even 50ml of water packaged in a separate plastic bottle. Cheers to progress!

lol!

54ny77
01-26-2019, 06:34 PM
Is it wrong to want one of these to stick in the driveway ?

😄

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/11/01/13/45E77EDF00000578-5038969-image-a-37_1509542228548.jpg

charliedid
01-26-2019, 06:45 PM

😄

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/11/01/13/45E77EDF00000578-5038969-image-a-37_1509542228548.jpg

Lemming

dancinkozmo
01-26-2019, 06:45 PM

😄

hell no !
you deserve it !!

stoosy
01-26-2019, 07:06 PM
Me and wifey have recently gotten into gravel riding here in the south of the Atlanta area. Lots of gravel country roads here. Love going out and exploring new routes. No cars is a big plus, more solitude and quiet, sense of adventure too. Still love getting into my rythme on my road bikes, but gravel is a cool alternative.

54ny77
01-26-2019, 07:27 PM
It can end up on gravel.

Ergo, gravelbeerbike....

Lemming

XXtwindad
01-26-2019, 07:34 PM
And those people will sell their gravel bikes and others will keep em and keep on. I have had a “gravel” bike for a hot minute, before it was a fad and before all the big brands have a bike that is classified as a gravel bike. I welcome whats out there now, the tire choice, wheels choice and frame choice is fantastic.

Tough crowd! We haven't even gotten to metaphors yet :)

charliedid
01-26-2019, 07:39 PM
It can end up on gravel.

Ergo, gravelbeerbike....

We were drinking beer on gravel roads while riding 23mm tires years ago! This industry is out of control!

TREEfool
01-26-2019, 07:41 PM
When I lived in Minneapolis I decided to build a gravel bike because that was the cool thing to do 2 years ago but after a year I realized that I NEVER road gravel no matter how hard I tried to find it. I traded in for a roadbike and cut 4-5 minutes off my commute.

bironi
01-26-2019, 07:48 PM
Come on.
I'm 67 and have been riding since 5.
The option to ride any path has always been alluring.
I question the price point to purchase a high end option to meet that desire.
I do appreciate the choices now available.
I would add that many urban roads are nearly equivalent to chunky gravel.
I do appreciate the OP's original satire.
Ride on.
What ever ride you choose.

Jcgill
01-26-2019, 08:39 PM
I do not have a gravel bike or a cx bike and I really do not have a desire to get one.
Where i live there are not alot of gravel roads and there are only a few sporatic cx events in the fall.
For me I have a hardtail 29er that can be used for gravel or cx duty if the rare need arises, but also can do single track duty anytime.

dancinkozmo
01-26-2019, 08:46 PM
I do not have a gravel bike or a cx bike and I really do not have a desire to get one.
Where i live there are not alot of gravel roads and there are only a few sporatic cx events in the fall.
For me I have a hardtail 29er that can be used for gravel or cx duty if the rare need arises, but also can do single track duty anytime.

...the bike companies hate people like you :)

nmrt
01-26-2019, 09:02 PM
pfft....
gravel-sravel bikes.....pfftt

i ride my road bike on mtb trails.
who needs mtb bikes?

i also dont need no stinkin' mtb bikes.

one 23c (ok maybe 25c on 15 mm id rims) bike to rule 'em all! :banana:

;);)

Mikej
01-26-2019, 09:18 PM
No gravel for me either- in fact, I find my 23-25 mm rim brake road bike highly sufficient and effective. And so clean looking! Just a tight qr ti frame for me.

makoti
01-26-2019, 09:31 PM
No gravel out my front door = no gravel bike. Most of my riding is from home, and there is a grand total of one place I might ride one and it would suck.
If I had access to gravel roads close by, I'd try one but not sure I'd really enjoy it. Smooth pavement is one of life's great joys.

Hellgate
01-26-2019, 09:34 PM
Nope, my CX bike collects dust. Don't need another.

tsarpepe
01-26-2019, 10:22 PM

I meant no disrespect. But the analogy limps. With shifters, we're talking about two different technologies, one of which is clearly more advanced. A gravel bike, on the other hand, is not more advanced than contemporary road bikes, or cross bikes. And it's probably not quite correct to call it a "technology". It's a tweak on existing frameset designs.

Kirk007
01-26-2019, 10:32 PM
After the apocalypse the survivors will wonder why humans got so frickin judgemental and quick to disparage others over even something so frickin meaningless as bike choice.

Why do the "we" care what other people ride or buy so much as to label them lemmings? Isn't there enough of this crap in the comments section of every news website?

As to the original question, horses for courses, diversity is fun. Pros could use their road bikes for time trials but don't. They tend to run bigger tires for PR. Plain and simple why not use the better tool for the job. Why the interest in "gravel" roads - fun, cell phones and texting, sell preservation. ... Why not? That said "gravel bikes" are neither new nor uniform. Cross bikes on trails, drop bar mountain bikes, 29r hardtails - all variations on the theme

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Andy sti
01-26-2019, 11:01 PM
This thread is as bad as hating cartridge bearings.

I have 4 cross bikes and a custom all-road bike on the way. :banana:

onekgguy
01-26-2019, 11:56 PM
I've been riding road bikes since the mid '70s without any desire to ride any other sort of bike -- until I walked into Freewheel Bikes in Minneapolis one evening 7 years ago. That's when I saw my first fatty up close. The sales guy asked if I wanted to take it out for a spin. And so I did. I hadn't been on it for more than a minute when I realized I had to have one. That bike was a time machine, making me feel like I'd been transported to my youth. I was a boy on that bike! (https://www.flickr.com/photos/onekgguy/6553709029/in/album-72157628518184475/)

I soon discovered the world of singletrack riding and I was hooked. My road bike still got attention but I had new and very different places to ride, and I loved it. A few years later I'd trade up to something a little lighter and faster (https://www.flickr.com/photos/onekgguy/20167991198/in/album-72157652495291843/).

I raced my fatty (https://youtu.be/JuwUeBkO-4c) and took part in gravel rides (https://youtu.be/rR7_qyvLahs) on it. I had a blast but I couldn't help but notice that I was working considerably harder than those on gravel bikes. That's when I decided I wanted in. So last spring I began my search which culminated in me taking delivery a few weeks ago of the beauty below. It's a sweet ride in every respect and will serve me well both on the road and on those miles of gravel roads I've never ventured down but have been drawn to for decades. To those road bike purists, I would encourage you to think outside the world of only road bikes. You may be surprised by what you're missing.

It's a Giant Revolt Advanced 0.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7804/32895327738_416aac0661_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/S7R9T5)

Kevin g

Clean39T
01-27-2019, 12:11 AM
After the apocalypse the survivors will wonder why humans got so frickin judgemental and quick to disparage others over even something so frickin meaningless as bike choice.

Why do the "we" care what other people ride or buy so much as to label them lemmings? Isn't there enough of this crap in the comments section of every news website?

As to the original question, horses for courses, diversity is fun. Pros could use their road bikes for time trials but don't. They tend to run bigger tires for PR. Plain and simple why not use the better tool for the job. Why the interest in "gravel" roads - fun, cell phones and texting, sell preservation. ... Why not? That said "gravel bikes" are neither new nor uniform. Cross bikes on trails, drop bar mountain bikes, 29r hardtails - all variations on the theme

I have 4 cross bikes and a custom all-road bike on the way. :banana:

Wisdom ^^^^^^

I need a gravel bike. Not want. Need. It just makes sense. More sense than any other bike for where I am right now actually... Thankfully I have room for more than one though, so adding a gravel-packing dirt-lover is no big deal. Just gotta decide which one. And how.

Lionel
01-27-2019, 04:42 AM
Wisdom ^^^^^^

I need a gravel bike. Not want. Need. It just makes sense. More sense than any other bike for where I am right now actually... Thankfully I have room for more than one though, so adding a gravel-packing dirt-lover is no big deal. Just gotta decide which one. And how.

I have one for you :)

PaMtbRider
01-27-2019, 07:14 AM

Selling the Evergreen?

fignon's barber
01-27-2019, 07:46 AM

Why do the "we" care what other people ride or buy so much as to label them lemmings?

Post of the year, right there.

Bob Ross
01-27-2019, 08:59 AM
Well...I didn't want one...until my wife got bitten by the gravel bug a year ago. I eventually conceded that if I ever wanted to ride with her again I would need a more dirt-friendly bike.

Bought an off-the-shelf Cannondale CAADX in July '18. I ride it a lot. It's kinda nice. But unless it asplodes it's probably the last gravel bike I'll ever get. I have no lust for an awesome custom-made bespoke "all road" bike. All my fantasy drooling is still reserved for road bikes.

PaMtbRider
01-27-2019, 09:03 AM
I am actually glad not everyone wants a gravel bike. That's part of the appeal, getting away from all you folks.:fight:

texbike
01-27-2019, 09:08 AM

:banana:

haha! Agree 100%!

Texbike

unterhausen
01-27-2019, 09:14 AM
If I were to go to N=1, the one would be a gravel bike. I happily rode my gravel bike for a super rando series on the road, 200km, 300km, 400km, 600km. It was great not worrying so much about potholes in the middle of the night. In fact, right now my gravel bike has the road wheels on it because that is the only power meter I have.

adding a gravel-packing dirt-lover is no big deal. Just gotta decide which one. And how.
why stop at just one?

Kirk007
01-27-2019, 09:52 AM

telephone operators are standing by!

XXtwindad
01-27-2019, 10:05 AM
I like fire roads. To me, it bridges the gap between MTB and road riding. Give me a long and scenic dirt/gravel road that stretches into the horizon (with no cars) and you've got Cycling Nirvana. A gravel bike is much more conducive to this kind of riding.

Here are two bucket list rides: Slate Peak in Washington and Bald Hills Road in Redwood National Park.

Vientomas
01-27-2019, 11:14 AM
My residence is in very close proximity to the National Forest which is loaded with logging roads. A few miles of pavement gets me to some beautiful dirt roads that offer excellent scenery, the most altitude for climbing in my area and extremely little vehicle traffic. A gravel bike with discs that clears 35's is the optimal tool for the job as there are sections of road with embedded rocks and stutter bumps from vehicles braking. Why would anyone not want to use a "gravel bike" for such conditions? I could use a bike with 23's, but it would not offer the same cushiness or traction on descents and rolling terrain. I've used a cross bike in the past, but prefer the road geometry of a "gravel bike" and I despise canti brakes. Just one person's opinion. I save the road bike with 25c tubes for full pavement rides. In the end, it's all about how you define fun.

Clean39T
01-27-2019, 11:19 AM
why stop at just one?

Gotta start somewhere first :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lionel
01-27-2019, 11:32 AM
Selling the Evergreen?

I could be convinced of it:)

livingminimal
01-27-2019, 11:34 AM
I mean, personally? I think it takes a special sunflower to really want a singular-use bike that can only take at max a 28c tire, but a lot of grown men are still racing bikes in business parks, so :shrug:

echappist
01-27-2019, 11:35 AM
I like fire roads. To me, it bridges the gap between MTB and road riding. Give me a long and scenic dirt/gravel road that stretches into the horizon (with no cars) and you've got Cycling Nirvana. A gravel bike is much more conducive to this kind of riding.

Here are two bucket list rides: Slate Peak in Washington and Bald Hills Road in Redwood National Park.

damn, i wish i had something like that nearby. agreed on fireroads. too bad we don't have much of that on the East Coast

joosttx
01-27-2019, 11:36 AM
I could be convinced of it:)

boooo. We are starting to talk about a King's Canyon dirt ride in May. You in???

happycampyer
01-27-2019, 11:56 AM

Lovers of gravel riding introduced that category and companies met the demand. Companies need to make money, therefore, they market their products so you will buy them. I think that's the order of business for the gravel bike.A quote that Richard Sachs is fond of (and which I’ve traced back to a review in the NYT from ‘95) is “capitalism has a way of absorbing the marginal into the mainstream.” To a certain extent, this is the case with the “gravel bike,” and to a certain extent it’s not.

Btw, imo the name “gravel bike” is a misnomer, much like “mountain bike.” The French term for a mountain bike is vĂ©lo tout terrain, or VTT. Imo “all-terrain bike” makes more sense than “mountain bike,” and I prefer the term “all-road bike” to “gravel bike.”

The first time I came across what was then a true, modern, designed-from-the-ground-up all-road bike was around twelve years ago on a Cinghiale cycling trip. This crackpot Andy Hampsten had a bike that was basically a road bike that could take wider tires (the bike was already several years old, so that puts it around the 15-year mark, go figure). It was made by Moots, but designed by Andy and his equally crackpot older brother Steve. I think Andy had 28s on his tour bike in Italy, but usually rode Jack Browns (33.3) in Colorado. The marketing department (Andy and Steve) explained that the bike was “designed like a 60s-era road race bike,” and was perfect for the strade bianche of Italy or the unimproved roads less traveled anywhere. I remember distinctly Andy extolling how much more confidence inspiring the wider tires were when descending. All I could think of was, that’s saying something coming from Andy Hampsten, who doesn’t exactly need any help descending.

In a somewhat related vein to who doesn’t need a gravel bike, I have a particular fascination with randonneuring bikes, but I wouldn’t want to own one. When I go to bike shows like NAHBS or the Philly Bike Show, I spend a disproportionate amount of time in booths like Chapman and Weigle. The bikes are so exquisitely crafted, practical (if one needs to be self-sufficient on the bike) and well thought out. A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to take a friend’s slot in Peter Weigle’s queue and, after several days of deliberation, decided not to take it. As much as I loved the idea of having a custom-built Weigle, the reality is that I wouldn’t ride it anywhere near enough to justify getting one. A lot of randonneuring and touring bikes are designed for wider tires (e.g., 28mm with fenders, 32+mm without. In many ways, what people are now calling gravel or all-road bikes are just stripped down randonneuring bikes.

I think of the trend toward all-road bikes more as, “what goes around comes around.” Unlike categories like the aero road bike, the all-road bike category has always been there, it’s just getting more attention as things like road disc brakes and a better selection of higher quality tires breathe new life into it.

So, by the same token, who doesn’t want a_______ [aero road bike, tt bike, randonneuring bike, fat bike...]. Ride the bike(s) that is(are) best suited for the conditions you ride.

Lionel
01-27-2019, 12:52 PM
boooo. We are starting to talk about a King's Canyon dirt ride in May. You in???

Sure I can take my other Seven :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

choke
01-27-2019, 01:02 PM
The marketing department (Andy and Steve) explained that the bike was “designed like a 60s-era road race bike,” Indeed it is.

This was made in 1966 and is wearing 35mm tires...

http://cycle.ciocctoo.com/frej0409b.jpg

XXtwindad
01-27-2019, 08:13 PM
Personally, I'm equally as excited about the advent of gravel tires. Owly turned me on to the Compass Antelope Hill, which is a 2.1 gravel road race tire. This is awesome. If I plan on hitting both gravel, light dirt, and road, I don't have to toggle back and forth between wheel sets.

Blue Jays
01-27-2019, 09:27 PM
I do not own a gravel bike. My stable consists of traditional roadbikes and suspension mountainbikes at this time.
Given the asphalt deterioration in many areas, I can see where 32mm (or bigger) tires plus sturdy wheels are beneficial.

joosttx
01-27-2019, 09:37 PM
Sure I can take my other Seven :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure but there’s a 6000ft climb on road

sonicCows
01-27-2019, 10:02 PM
My gravel bike is my CX bike which is also my fendered bike. It's what I ride to commute or if I know I'm hitting mud. I'd ride the bike all the time except that it's single speed, this way I still get a reason to maintain and drag out my road bike (which is excellent and fast)

sparky33
01-27-2019, 10:11 PM
...so gravel bikes are over already?

that sure was fun while it lasted.

Llewellyn
01-28-2019, 01:46 AM
I live in the middle of suburbia and I don't think there's a gravel road within 20km of our house, so I'll stick with paved roads and 25mm tyres. But if riding on a gravel road floats your boat or gets more people out cycling, then that's fine by me.

Gummee
01-28-2019, 08:55 AM
I am actually glad not everyone wants a gravel bike. That's part of the appeal, getting away from all you folks.:fight:

This

...and if it was easy, everyone would do it. Gravel isn't always easy.

I'm lucky in that I have gravel roads within riding distance of my back door. I have many more gravel roads an hour by bike away. I get to The Plains, VA and there's enough gravel to do a century.

I don't have a 'gravel bike' per se. My CX bikes do triple duty: road with slicks on em, gravel with one of 3 sets of wheels with varying sizes of tires, or racing CX in the fall. (raced badly last season! ...but I was still out there trying)

M

Gummee
01-28-2019, 09:01 AM
damn, i wish i had something like that nearby. agreed on fireroads. too bad we don't have much of that on the East Coast

This is the link to VA's dirt roads map (https://vdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e4e9638690634fafae8bccb63abbee7c)

If you're not here, I'll bet your state has something similar

M

El Chaba
01-28-2019, 09:37 AM
I've ridden across gravel roads for years with my road bike. To me, they have always been a part of the ride but I never felt like I needed to elevate the event to the level of a "Happening"....Then again, all of this occurred (miraculously) prior to millennials inventing the gravel road, which necessitated the invention of the gravel bike to ride on them...

sparky33
01-28-2019, 09:43 AM
This is the link to VA's dirt roads map (https://vdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e4e9638690634fafae8bccb63abbee7c)

If you're not here, I'll bet your state has something similar

M

Vermont: http://vtransmaps.vermont.gov/mapsftp/current.asp

also BaseCamp (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp) by Garmin will show unpaved roads.

Butch
01-28-2019, 09:59 AM
One of the best things I have seen in the bike industry in the past few years is a move away from customers wanting to ride the same bikes as the TDF pros ride. I believe there has been a realization that riding in a pack at a very high rate of speed isn't the same as going on rides with your friends on the back roads of wherever.
For me and my fiends we have found the dirt roads to be free of traffic and an easier place to spend hours of riding. Doesn't have to be a gravel bike but it sure helps if the bike holds a big enough tire, where you can lower the pressure, for the roads near you and has a geometry that allows you to relax on those roads.
I think smart phones have changed the way I ride as well. Roads with car drivers constantly looking at their phones scare the crap out of me now. Smart phones also allow us to explore unknown B roads as map apps can help guide you through unknown territory. Things change. No matter, the perfect bike is the one you are riding.

Jimbo251
01-28-2019, 10:30 AM
I've been riding bikes for a while now. For many years, long before the industry came out with wide rims and bigger tires we road dirt and gravel on 23's and 25's.

That said the dirt and gravel sections were usually connectors that looped paved roads or continued a ride. The intent was never to purposefully go out and ride 3+ hours of gravel.

I have zero desire for a "gravel bike" when we already have a niche in the industry called Cyclocross bikes. If you can't ride a double track on 32mm filetreads then get a 29'r mtn bike? The whole 40mm tire thing puzzles me?

But I'm mostly a roadie anyhow and prefer pavement, so what do I know? I'm an old retro grouch and prefer the classic beautiful road bike. Giant tires, disc brakes and wonky tubes are just fugly imho.

PaMtbRider
01-28-2019, 11:07 AM
...we road dirt and gravel on 23's and 25's.

... The whole 40mm tire thing puzzles me?...

The big difference is the speed at which you can ride gravel. You are not going to go down hill on chunky gravel on 25c tires anywhere near as fast as you can on a tire with more volume.

I do agree that some people are getting carried away and wanting 2.0 mountain bike tires for smooth gravel. I think they are seeing tour divide racers and are immediately thinking they need the same monster truck bicycle and tires.

R3awak3n
01-28-2019, 11:11 AM
...so gravel bikes are over already?

that sure was fun while it lasted.

OVER. People gonna start listing them on the classifieds for pennies on the dollar

Blue Jays
01-28-2019, 11:42 AM
There are times that motorists must think that am totally DRUNK while pedaling down the road given all my weaving.
That is when I courteously indicate the monster potholes to drivers behind me. I sense they realize we have better visibility.

That is main reason for my desire to have a bicycle (with my same race geometry) yet with room for substantial wheel/tire clearance.
I think it could prove convenient and beneficial avoiding flats when asphalt condition is at its worst in February/March/April each year.

Kirk007
01-28-2019, 11:45 AM
I needed an excuse to buy this cross bike, as I don't race cross. Hence it's now a "gravel bike.". I don't find it fugly.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190128/2c29a0591f3d6942e54bdf124adea842.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190128/b775c63bb0ec0984a221d46976204f57.jpg

Kirk007
01-28-2019, 11:52 AM
Of course one must also be ready to pull out the "not quite a mountain bike" for more epic adventures. I think this one looks quite nice too.

What can I say, I like bikes. I thought that was what Paceliners Forum was all about.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190128/f7423b2041833729f1f7eb8a383625a1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190128/d1c5c59fc6bcf75de6c1bf2a5d908c0d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190128/a4010b4d240c3c9aeef4fa8ef1579693.jpg

Jaybee
01-28-2019, 11:57 AM
Of course one must also be ready to pull out the "not quite a mountain bike" for more epic adventures. I think this one looks quite nice too.

What can I say, I like bikes. I thought that was what Paceliners Forum was all about.

Your Kirk Cross and your 333 LAS are both awesome bikes.

Late January, and we've already reached "my bike is good, your bike is stupid" grumpiness.

2 more months of winter? I think more people need fatbikes.

Blue Jays
01-28-2019, 11:59 AM
"...Of course one must also be ready to pull out the ‘not quite a mountain bike’ for more epic adventures..."
Yes, this was my point above about navigating late-winter / early-spring roadways (before serious patching occurs) on cratered asphalt.
My interactions among many riders is not just their desire to visit increasingly remote terrain.
The attraction to so-called gravel bikes is also driven by the realities of local road infrastructure.

XXtwindad
01-28-2019, 12:00 PM

What can I say, I like bikes. I thought that was what Paceliners Forum was all about.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190128/f7423b2041833729f1f7eb8a383625a1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190128/d1c5c59fc6bcf75de6c1bf2a5d908c0d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190128/a4010b4d240c3c9aeef4fa8ef1579693.jpg

Wow! That's a beauty! Is that the 333 "ALS"? How much tire clearance is there on that? Is the geometry a hindrance when you want to ride it as a straight up road bike? I've been thinking of building a "drop bar" 29er, so I'd love to get your feedback...

Jaybee
01-28-2019, 12:09 PM
Personally, the only drop bar bike currently in my stable is a "gravel bike", shod in anything from 27.5x2.0 knobbies to 27.5x1.9slicks to 700x40 slightly knobbies to 700x28 slicks. It's a degree slacker in the front and about 5mm shorter than my preferred road bike reach, haven't detected any issue hanging with my normal road group, nor can I wipe the grin off my face when I take a singletrack connector over S. Table Mountain to work.

I think a lot of riders would be better suited to something like this versus a pro-tour replica bike. Grant Petersen for non-luddites.

sparky33
01-28-2019, 12:15 PM
Late January, and we've already reached "my bike is good, your bike is stupid" grumpiness.

Get off my lawn.

and take your (stupid) bike too!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

also this is happening, but it’s probably going to suck:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190128/c5d9d12e189967d0570a322a3d76cdcf.jpg

Kirk007
01-28-2019, 12:24 PM
Wow! That's a beauty! Is that the 333 "ALS"? How much tire clearance is there on that? Is the geometry a hindrance when you want to ride it as a straight up road bike? I've been thinking of building a "drop bar" 29er, so I'd love to get your feedback...

It is the 333 AirLandSea. It is designed to take up to 2.1 knobbies in the rear and I think the steel fork is the same. The steel fork is low trail and heavy as all get out. That plus the weight/size of the 650B tires makes it slower on the road by 1-2 mph for the same effort as my road bikes. But with the Seven Matador fork and 700c wheels my average speed on the road with this bike is about the same as any of my other bikes (the Matador has a good bit of tire clearance as well - forget the exact number - and it has fender mounts and a crown mount for a light - features that I wish Enve would consider for its gravel fork (the Enve designed fenders are ok, but they're not real fenders for Pac NW riding as they aren't long enough). The bottom bracket is pretty high with 700c wheels, particularly as you go up in tire size so there is that, think more cross bike on the road than roadish, at least with 700c wheels. It is also quite nice on the road with the Boyd carbon 650B wheels and 42mm tires. All that said, half the reason I bought it was the design - really perfect for where I live in terms of a bike that I can piece together paved, dirt, trail and go exploring all over the island but the other was the paint and decals - it is just such a whimsical, fun design that it reminds me to slow down and enjoy my surroundings. It's really hard not to smile when you look down at the top tube and see a bicycle balanced on the nose of a whale! If I want to go fast and hard I've got other choices.

Blue Jays
01-28-2019, 12:28 PM
"...I think a lot of riders would be better suited to something like this versus a pro-tour replica bike..."
Andy Hampsten and Steve Hampsten began advocating this more generalized / less specialized approach years ago.
They were suggesting a "1960s-style racebike" with somewhat wider tires with greater grip.
This is to accommodate a substantial variety of road surfaces one might encounter all on the same ride.

XXtwindad
01-28-2019, 12:29 PM
It is the 333 AirLandSea. It is designed to take up to 2.1 knobbies in the rear and I think the steel fork is the same. The steel fork is low trail and heavy as all get out. That plus the weight/size of the 650B tires makes it slower on the road by 1-2 mph for the same effort as my road bikes. But with the Seven Matador fork and 700c wheels my average speed on the road with this bike is about the same as any of my other bikes (the Matador has a good bit of tire clearance as well - forget the exact number - and it has fender mounts and a crown mount for a light - features that I wish Enve would consider for its gravel fork (the Enve designed fenders are ok, but they're not real fenders for Pac NW riding as they aren't long enough). The bottom bracket is pretty high with 700c wheels, particularly as you go up in tire size so there is that, think more cross bike on the road than roadish, at least with 700c wheels. It is also quite nice on the road with the Boyd carbon 650B wheels and 42mm tires. All that said, half the reason I bought it was the design - really perfect for where I live in terms of a bike that I can piece together paved, dirt, trail and go exploring all over the island but the other was the paint and decals - it is just such a whimsical, fun design that it reminds me to slow down and enjoy my surroundings. It's really hard not to smile when you look down at the top tube and see a bicycle balanced on the nose of a whale! If I want to go fast and hard I've got other choices.

Thanks for the feedback. Kinda what I had in mind for my next steed...lotsa "smiles per miles..."

Jimbo251
01-28-2019, 12:31 PM
I've been riding bikes for a while now. For many years, long before the industry came out with wide rims and bigger tires we road dirt and gravel on 23's and 25's.

That said the dirt and gravel sections were usually connectors that looped paved roads or continued a ride. The intent was never to purposefully go out and ride 3+ hours of gravel.

I have zero desire for a "gravel bike" when we already have a niche in the industry called Cyclocross bikes. If you can't ride a double track on 32mm filetreads then get a 29'r mtn bike? The whole 40mm tire thing puzzles me?

But I'm mostly a roadie anyhow and prefer pavement, so what do I know? I'm an old retro grouch and prefer the classic beautiful road bike. Giant tires, disc brakes and wonky tubes are just fugly imho.

Please forgive me, I don't mean to come across as grumpy as I sound. I'm not a hater, it must be Monday. Carry on.

Kirk007
01-28-2019, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Kinda what I had in mind for my next steed...lotsa "smiles per miles..."

one other thing - top tubes are longer and design is for a shorter stem - like the trend with mountain bikes.

Gummee
01-28-2019, 12:45 PM
Please forgive me, I don't mean to come across as grumpy as I sound. I'm not a hater, it must be Monday. Carry on.

gravel on 19c CX/GGs was 'exciting.'

AMHIK

M

Jaybee
01-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Get off my lawn.

and take your (stupid) bike too!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

also this is happening, but it’s probably going to suck:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190128/c5d9d12e189967d0570a322a3d76cdcf.jpg

Firefly Ti/Carbon with fat knobbies? Sounds awful, TBH. Why would you make such a poor decision? :fight:

Jeff N.
01-28-2019, 02:26 PM
Who DOESN'T want a gravel bike? ME! Doesn't interest me in the slightest. Keeping it on the pavement, thank you. If I want to do gravel, I'll just buy a dang MB.

pdmtong
01-28-2019, 02:41 PM
Isn't it great there are now more choices to optimize the kinds of riding we prefer?

If there were more local rolling fire roads here, sure, i would think about a fatter tire disc "gravel" than my older canti'd CX. BUT, the reality is most fire roads near me are connected to some pretty steep single track and for those, i would much rather be on my mtb.

so based on where I live, no thank to a gravel bike. The bikes I have/need are optimized for riding from my house or from a start a very short drive away. I no longer have all day to drive somewhere further away, ride and then drive back home.

Burning Pines
01-28-2019, 03:05 PM
That 333 fab is beautiful.

I have a cross bike and an old 29er converted to rigid that both serve on dirt depending on roughness and pace. Gravel is boring, but no more boring than paved roads. All of my rides are mixed terrain now if I can help it, unless I’m mountain biking.

Jaybee
01-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Isn't it great there are now more choices to optimize the kinds of riding we prefer?

If there were more local rolling fire roads here, sure, i would think about a fatter tire disc "gravel" than my older canti'd CX. BUT, the reality is most fire roads near me are connected to some pretty steep single track and for those, i would much rather be on my mtb.

so based on where I live, no thank to a gravel bike. The bikes I have/need are optimized for riding from my house or from a start a very short drive away. I no longer have all day to drive somewhere further away, ride and then drive back home.

This is cool.

For me, the gravel bike is all about optimizing ride time. I can spin the 5-8 miles to the trailhead faster. I can hit some trails that, frankly, are kinda boring on my MTB but pretty fun on drop bars. There's still plenty of stuff locally that I'm not hitting on anything less than a mid-travel 29er (and I'll drive to those) but for making the most out of those 90 minutes after work, gravel bike does that for me.

Davist
01-28-2019, 03:42 PM
I had one, an aluminum scott, it was ok, but realized I was only riding it in its element 2 days a year (at "organized" events, like Gravel Grape Crusher). Used it as a winter bike otherwise, but couldn't quite keep up on road rides for whatever reason. Got a disc road bikes, running 32s on alloy wheels currently, fits the 33c knobbies I have (for that 1 or 2 days). Interested in the 650b bikes, so I recently rode the Thesis bike in SFO, liked it (not quite love), not sure if I'll pursue (BUT rode only on roads/bike paths and I don't think I liked/spent enough time with 1x gearing)..

benb
01-28-2019, 03:50 PM
I have 3 bikes... Road Bike, MTB, and a "Gravel Bike". I've had my Gravel bike for 5 years now.

If I had to go N-1 I would keep the Road Bike and the Gravel Bike right now I think, although that is partially cause my MTB is my oldest bike and it's a bit of a ticking time bomb on a couple maintenance issues.

If I had to go N-2 I would sell all 3 of my bikes and put all the money into a really really nice gravel bike. Probably Custom Ti with disc brakes.

It's the goldilocks bike if you're not racing road and don't live in SoCal or Florida or something where all the roads are really good. More enjoyable if you ride through bad winters. More enjoyable if you can put fenders on them.

I don't really have a lot of proper gravel roads in my immediate vicinity but there are plenty out there, and there are also lots and lots of "dirt MUTs" in the area. I tend to use them to connect nice bits of riding, and a gravel style bike is the most pleasant compromise for all the different surfaces you'd ride on.

One thing on here though.. who knows who is riding gravel/dirt on their gravel bike, you've got to keep in mind a good % of the banter on a website like this is due to lots of people having BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome). :banana:

Sticking to paved roads seems to make a ride a bit more Type A than adding in some dirt... sometimes we all need to relax a little.

gdw
01-28-2019, 04:02 PM
Cycling is definitely the new golf. Instead of clubs optimized for different distances and lies some cyclists think they need a special bike for any road surface or terrain they might encounter.

XXtwindad
01-28-2019, 04:24 PM
Cycling is definitely the new golf. Instead of clubs optimized for different distances and lies some cyclists think they need a special bike for any road surface or terrain they might encounter.

I encounter dirt right across the street from me. In several different directions :)

Kirk007
01-28-2019, 04:28 PM

Driver = time trial bike

3 wood = road bike

3 iron = all road bike with discs

5 iron= gravel bike

7 iron = hard tail 29er

9 iron = FS trail/enduro bike

Wedge = FS downhill bike

Sounds about right.

Gummee
01-28-2019, 04:28 PM
One thing on here though.. who knows who is riding gravel/dirt on their gravel bike, you've got to keep in mind a good % of the banter on a website like this is due to lots of people having BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome). :banana:

Guilty as charged

Next bike is likely to be custom Ti SSCX as a winter/wet weather/fixed gear bike. No rust. Not much maintenance. What's not to love?!

M

charliedid
01-28-2019, 04:29 PM

Yeah, I play golf with just a 4 iron.

pdmtong
01-28-2019, 07:41 PM
This is cool.
For me, the gravel bike is all about optimizing ride time. I can spin the 5-8 miles to the trailhead faster. I can hit some trails that, frankly, are kinda boring on my MTB but pretty fun on drop bars. There's still plenty of stuff locally that I'm not hitting on anything less than a mid-travel 29er (and I'll drive to those) but for making the most out of those 90 minutes after work, gravel bike does that for me.

def get the best tool for the job. life is too short - the worst offense would be to keep spending time on an old bike when in reality, for a particular situation, something modern would be so much more fun/comfortable/performant.

XXtwindad
01-28-2019, 07:52 PM
def get the best tool for the job. life is too short - the worst offense would be to keep spending time on an old bike when in reality, for a particular situation, something modern would be so much more fun/comfortable/performant.

Haters gonna hate ...

Pastashop
01-29-2019, 04:04 AM
Look, the pneumatic tire was a boon to travel speed and comfort over the rough roads of Dunlop’s day. Railroad cars don’t need tires, but the steel tracks they run on are quite smooth. So, it’s a matter of what terrain you ride.

Well, many places now have deteriorating roads and even worse driver attentiveness, heavier traffic, etc. If the perception is that dirt roads are safer (and in many cases they are), more folks will ride those. The more folks ride, the more aware drivers will be, the safer for everyone. So, viva Strada Bianca! And if that’s something helped by a shiny new bike, even one with clearance for mud and fatter tires, then so be it! Lord knows we could use more money in the bike industry, so it would attract better engineering and closer study of what the elders did well and why.

oldpotatoe
01-29-2019, 06:09 AM

Once upon a time a golf fanatic buddy of mine often went to the 'club' and played 18 holes with just 3 clubs..driver, iron, putter..and he was a 5-6 handicap golfer..:eek:

BikeNY
01-29-2019, 08:33 AM
I really don't understand NOT wanting a 'gravel' or 'allroad' bike or whatever you want to call it if buying a new bike right now. If you put 25mm tires on it it will be just as fast as any race bike, and then you have the option to put wider tires if you decide to explore somewhere off the beaten path.

Personally, I seek out as much gravel/dirt as possible on my rides these days, for the reasons mentioned already, quieter roads, better scenery, etc. It's just more enjoyable, and I love exploring new roads and trails.

I'm in the burbs 45 minutes from Manhattan, so if I can find dirt roads around here, anybody can!;)

benb
01-29-2019, 08:47 AM

Except if you're going to be the type of cyclist who just gets it done with 1 bike the "gravel bike" is the most versatile bike to have as your only bike.

I know there are folks here who have 10-20 near identical "road race" bikes all with 23c tires, often the only difference being wheelset & frame... hard to point fingers at people who have a gravel bike in that atmosphere.

Funny as "Road Race" bikes were basically today's gravel bikes minus the carbon & disc brakes if you go back to the point the roads weren't as good. The modern gravel bike owes its existence to the fact that road bikes hyper specialized for ultra smooth roads, maybe due to the Tour De France & other races getting set up to the point all the roads are ultra smooth?

WNC rider
01-29-2019, 08:49 AM
I have absolutely zero desire for a "gravel bike". Couldn't identify one even if one were to run me over. Barely have any desire to go offroad in the first place.
I have a mountain bike..it sits in the basement. I've ridden it around the back yard. Twice.

FORE!!!

Spinner
01-29-2019, 09:13 AM
... my first bicycle was a Murray that I received for Christmas in 1965. It was an all-around machine that I rode extensively on gravel because my parent's farm was on a dirt road. We had to ride about 1.25 mile to hit pavement, which was a real treat at the time.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la mĂȘme chose.

BikeNY
01-29-2019, 09:22 AM
I have absolutely zero desire for a "gravel bike". Couldn't identify one even if one were to run me over. Barely have any desire to go offroad in the first place.
I have a mountain bike..it sits in the basement. I've ridden it around the back yard. Twice.

FORE!!!

They are pretty easy to identify, they look just like a road bike, but with wider tires. So when it runs you over, it won't hurt as much!

R3awak3n
01-29-2019, 09:26 AM
They are pretty easy to identify, they look just like a road bike, but with wider tires. So when it runs you over, it won't hurt as much!

supple

sitzmark
01-29-2019, 11:51 AM

http://www.antiques.com/vendor_item_images/ori_2050_1991837505_1109013_Antique_Patent_Adjusta ble_Golf_Club_by_Urquhart.jpg

Father had one of these around the house growing up. He golfer, me not. The concept was pretty cool ... adjust the loft of the blade and lock it in - one club with a wide application. He never used the club, but it was an interesting antique sitting in the corner.

Have long wondered if a "gravel bike" would sit in the corner of a room for me. I like the idea of disc brakes for wet riding but don't want them on my "road" bikes cause I'm a bit of a weight weenie (not extreme but still). I started road riding on a converted rigid MTB with 2.0 slicks. Did many charity centuries for over a year on that rig and had a lot of riders try to drop me out of group rides. I finally switched to the skinny tires (and new bike) I was told I needed - 10 years ago - and very shortly thereafter I was told "wider is better" for tires. Screw it. I have stayed with 23mm for my road bikes quite happily.

Some of my group rides are tossing in "off road" sections into rides to mix things up. Other ride buddies are training for DK200, VTMonster and other rides. C'mon join in, they say.

So I have/did. Gravel frameset sits in the corner waiting to be built. Pretty much decided on direct mount crank to open drive line to 1X or 2X. Hubs have option for TA/QR and XD driver body. I've already run a 10-42 cassette on my road bike for an event, so I'll shift that to the new bike next time. Realize the GB isn't going to replace a true MTB for single track (at least not for me), but I (think) am going to enjoy having a bike designed with a boatload of flexibility.

I still have the '90 MTB/XC which I ride occasionally in different variations. We'll see if the new GB turns that bike into a full time antique. :)

cash05458
01-29-2019, 12:01 PM
Personally, no...not for me...but I get it from the folks who do dig it...whatever floats the proverbial boat after all...I live in a place with great roads and hardly any traffic here in Vermont so the idea of doing gravel and all therein sounds like a nightmare...besides, I spent about ten years doing mountain bike stuff as a youngster so I am good to go...

Kirk007
01-29-2019, 02:01 PM
I live in a place with great roads and hardly any traffic here in Vermont ...

wait, I thought that C50 was an all road bike? :)

Joxster
01-29-2019, 02:10 PM
Me, I have no need or want for a "Gravel" bike. It's a Cyclocross bike with Gravel written on it with red crayon.

benb
01-29-2019, 02:46 PM
This really shouldn't be so hard.

We've got people who never seem to want to get off dry + clean + smooth pavement... gravel bikes (and likely cross bikes) are not for you if you are in that category.

If it bothers you to see a trail/dirt road in your riding 'hood and know you have not gone down that trail and/or don't know where it goes, than a Gravel bike might be for you. Especially when accessing those trails involves a lot of riding around on pavement to get there, and you despise taking a car to the trailhead.

If you are a hard core cross racer you probably want a cross bike as it's more optimized for cross. But if you're not that guy the 'Cross bike is more of a specialist tool and IMO having one is much more of the "cycling is the new golf" type of bike.

The cross bike if it is heavily optimized is going to have less tire clearance and less flexibility, desirable tires for gravel bikes are very often above the max tire size for cross. Personally I would way rather ride 38s than legal cross tires. Cross bikes ideally don't bottle bosses, fender attachments, rack attachments, should less stable geometry/more pedal clearance, etc.. They are built for an hour race format.

You can run a gravel bike as a lower level cross bike if you run appropriate tires and/or they don't check but a true cross bike is not going to be as convenient as a "gravel bike" for a lot of real world cases.

There are a bunch of cross bikes that are IMO cross bikes in name only FWIW, mostly at the low end. E.x. Surly Cross Check.. it got named a cross bike and it had the BB/Geometry but it had an awful lot of gravel bike type features built into it that compromised it for racing... I think it only ever got named "Cross Check" since it predated anyone coming up with the term "Gravel Bike".

I guess we're probably already well along the path of hyper specialized gravel bikes too as some of the bike companies are clearly specializing their bikes for stuff like Dirty Kanza and the other races. But in general gravel bikes don't seem to be going hyper specialized for a race category AFAICT, not like road bikes or cross bikes.

rustychisel
01-30-2019, 12:13 AM
This really shouldn't be so hard.

...bunch of other stuff

Agreed.

Pretty sure you're overthinking it. Buy bike, ride bike. If you like gravel roads, buy a bike that's suitable.

When I'm riding my 48 x 18 fixed gear with Veloflex 25s and come across a nice looking path; why, I go right ahead and ride down it. Right then my bike becomes a gravel bike.

Oxford_Guy
01-30-2019, 07:08 AM
My Hewitt Cheviot touring bike with 32mm tyres (though could go up to at least 38mm with mudguards, more without) seems to cope with gravel tracks okay, so don't really see the point in getting a "gravel bike".