PDA

View Full Version : Riding Bikes in The EU: Trip Advice

ThasFACE
11-21-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm going to be taking the bar in the last week of July '07 and will have about 7 weeks before starting work. I want to plan a major trip of some sort (to supplement my trip up to Lobster Fest in Maine with the girlfriend and the dog) and, at this point, I would like to spend a couple or few weeks riding in Europe on some of the 'famous' routes.

Any suggestions on places that I should hit?

Will I have to build up a touring bike? Or can I somehow get away with getting around on my fierte?

Would it be smarter for me to just pony up for a guided tour? I speak French and, in general, I’m not crappy with languages, so I'm not overly worried about communication. I just wonder if it would be worth it to have someone else around to be hassled by my hassles.

Thoughts from the wise?

landshark_98
11-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Take some friends, rent a van and take turns sagging.

Spend one week based in Bourg d'Oisan to do the big Alps. The Hotel de Milan is in the middle of town across from the bike shop. A bit worn down but the center of Action. Don't need a guide. Get some good maps and search the web for suggested ride routes. If you want to do some point to point, maybe work your way up to Albertville (Hotel Million) via Albiez-le-Jeune (Hotel de l'Escale) and then over to Talliores on Lac Annecy. Stay at the Hotel l"Abbeye de Talloires as a splurge.

One week in Tuscany: Start in Andy H's adopted hometown of Castagnetto Carducci at the Z'Martino Hotel. Ride around there a few days, head to Volterra then over to one of the small towns in Chianti region.

Come back, begin practicing law, and have some great memories to get you through the first couple years of practice!

Greg

stevep
11-21-2006, 03:37 PM
i concur with landshark.
spend a week in each place. get a good flavor. rent a car even.
might add briancon for a week and maybe then an easy 3 hr drive to lake como it italy...in 5-6 days you can get a good feel for the region.
i find the alps nicer than the pyrennes unless you have a lot of time to do both.
have a great time. i would bring the race bike unless you were going for a loaded tour. might use a 34-27 gear... the climbs are long.

catulle
11-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Contact Andy Hampsten. He'll steer you straight.

bw77
11-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Check out http://www.crazyguyonabike.com, many journals about bike trips in France and other countries in Europe. No need to hire a tour guide.