PDA

View Full Version : OT - Ebay buyer wants to return item damaged in shipping

KarlC
01-25-2019, 04:32 PM
So I have never had this happen before, but I shipped an item to a buyer and it was damaged in shipping. I packed it really nice and paid for shipping insurance to cover the $400 item, everything was done thru EBay, USPS as the shipper.

The item was sold as is and with no returns as it needs repairs.

From reading on Ebay it looks like ........

"Your options for responding to a return request

Your options for responding to a buyer's request depend on the reason they're returning the item, and the return policy you stated in your listing.
The buyer received the wrong item, or it arrived damaged or faulty

If a buyer receives an item that wasn't as described in the listing, or if it arrives damaged or faulty, they can return it to you even if your return policy states you don't accept returns.

Here are your response options:

Accept the return – The buyer will send the item back to you for a full refund, including the original shipping cost. You'll also be responsible for covering return shipping costs.

How to accept a return

Give a full refund – You'll issue a full refund to the buyer, including original shipping costs, and they'll keep the item. This is a good option for low-value items.

How to issue a refund

Offer a partial refund – You'll issue a partial refund to the buyer, and they'll keep the item. This can be useful when the buyer isn't completely satisfied with their purchase. For example, if an item arrived with a minor scratch – but the buyer is happy to keep it."

With the item now damaged it has no value so there is no use in them shipping it back to me.

But there must be away to get my $400 for the item back thru the shipping insurance right ???

:confused:

yinzerniner
01-25-2019, 04:45 PM
So I have never had this happen before, but I shipped an item to a buyer and it was damaged in shipping. I packed it really nice and paid for shipping insurance to cover the $400 item, everything was done thru EBay, USPS as the shipper.

The item was sold as is and with no returns as it needs repairs.

From reading on Ebay it looks like ........

"Your options for responding to a return request

Your options for responding to a buyer's request depend on the reason they're returning the item, and the return policy you stated in your listing.
The buyer received the wrong item, or it arrived damaged or faulty

If a buyer receives an item that wasn't as described in the listing, or if it arrives damaged or faulty, they can return it to you even if your return policy states you don't accept returns.

Here are your response options:

Accept the return – The buyer will send the item back to you for a full refund, including the original shipping cost. You'll also be responsible for covering return shipping costs.

How to accept a return

Give a full refund – You'll issue a full refund to the buyer, including original shipping costs, and they'll keep the item. This is a good option for low-value items.

How to issue a refund

Offer a partial refund – You'll issue a partial refund to the buyer, and they'll keep the item. This can be useful when the buyer isn't completely satisfied with their purchase. For example, if an item arrived with a minor scratch – but the buyer is happy to keep it."

With the item now damaged it has no value so there is no use in them shipping it back to me.

But there must be away to get my $400 for the item back thru the shipping insurance right ???

:confused:

Is the item repairable, and what are the return shipping costs? If the first answer is yes, and the second answer is reasonable then provide a return label and see if you can get the full insurance payout from USPS, and use some of the funds to get the item fixed and resold.

If the item is beyond repair or the shipping is unreasonable you'll need pics of the item taken before shipping, as well as some pics of how the item arrived damaged which hopefully the buyer can send you. You should be able to get the $400 back from USPS but generally it'll take a few weeks for the check to process. However you should keep dialog open with the buyer, and hopefully they can assist in providing pics so you don't have to deal with the price of return shipping. It's good policy to offer a full return after having the buyer provide a lot of pics of the damaged item, and not do a partial return as it was through no fault of the buyer that USPS effed up.

On a side note I've noticed that USPS (at least in my region) has really gone down the tubes in the last two months or so. I'd gone 10 years without any gripes or substandard service, but roughly half of the packages I've sent or received lately have either been delayed, damaged or simply lost without explanation.

Hilltopperny
01-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Karl,

Contact USPS and make sure to have the buyer send you pictures of the damage so you can make a claim. I wouldn't bother with a return. You will likely need photos of the package as well. It's worth a try.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jtakeda
01-25-2019, 04:55 PM
Karl,

Contact USPS and make sure to have the buyer send you pictures of the damage so you can make a claim. I wouldn't bother with a return. You will likely need photos of the package as well. It's worth a try.

THIS!!

DO NOT HAVE THE BUYER RETURN YET.

You need to have them document proof of the damage and then go through the usps portal to request the return.USPS will send a label for return to have the item sent back to you. Do not have the buyer send the item back before completing this step or you’ll lose your insurance by not following the proper procedure.

I sold a camera on eBay and had the buyer claim it was damaged in shipping but provided no proof and then went radio silent. Long story short I waited about 6 months and PayPal released the funds to me

dbnm
01-25-2019, 05:09 PM
I would delay the return as long as possible.

Get USPS and paypal involved.

KarlC
01-25-2019, 05:25 PM
Karl,

THIS!!

DO NOT HAVE THE BUYER RETURN YET.

You need to have them document proof of the damage and then go through the usps portal to request the return.USPS will send a label for return to have the item sent back to you. Do not have the buyer send the item back before completing this step or you’ll lose your insurance by not following the proper procedure.

I sold a camera on eBay and had the buyer claim it was damaged in shipping but provided no proof and then went radio silent. Long story short I waited about 6 months and PayPal released the funds to me

At this point it looks like Ebay is involved they just notifited me of this......

We're sorry there was a problem with this transaction. After reviewing the case, we made a final decision in the buyer's favor.
Details:
Decision:
This case has been decided in the buyer's favor.

Comments:
The buyer has been asked to return the item to you. Once tracking shows the item has been delivered to you, the buyer will be issued a refund. If the buyer uses an eBay provided shipping label to return the item, you will be required to pay the shipping and will see this charge on your invoice.

You can also view the details of this case in the Resolution Center.

I just asked the seller to send several good clear photos of the original damaged shipping box and the damaged item as the shipper will require them to pay on the shipping insurance.

Im not sure I can do to GET the buyer to send these photos, it looks like Ebay does not require it.

I'm thinking to tell the buyer they can keep the item if they send me the photos and I get USPS to pay for the damaged item. What do you think ??

KarlC
01-25-2019, 06:11 PM
I would delay the return as long as possible.

Get USPS and paypal involved.

Per dbnm PM suggesting to call Ebay, I did and they turned thing around real quick for me.

They said the ..... case decided in the buyer's favor and asking The buyer to return the item ..... was really just and automated response that did not apply.

Ebay is now asking the buyer to provide photos of the damaged box and damaged item.

Thx for your help guys !

jtakeda
01-25-2019, 06:36 PM
At this point it looks like Ebay is involved they just notifited me of this......

We're sorry there was a problem with this transaction. After reviewing the case, we made a final decision in the buyer's favor.
Details:
Decision:
This case has been decided in the buyer's favor.

Comments:
The buyer has been asked to return the item to you. Once tracking shows the item has been delivered to you, the buyer will be issued a refund. If the buyer uses an eBay provided shipping label to return the item, you will be required to pay the shipping and will see this charge on your invoice.

You can also view the details of this case in the Resolution Center.

I just asked the seller to send several good clear photos of the original damaged shipping box and the damaged item as the shipper will require them to pay on the shipping insurance.

Im not sure I can do to GET the buyer to send these photos, it looks like Ebay does not require it.

I'm thinking to tell the buyer they can keep the item if they send me the photos and I get USPS to pay for the damaged item. What do you think ??

I’d call eBay and explain the situation. They had someone on their end compel the buyer to send photos or they wouldn’t receive a refund.

kramnnim
01-25-2019, 10:02 PM

USPS might require you to take the damaged item to a Post Office and get them to fill out a specific form confirming the damage. Buyer might not help you with that.