PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry your spare tubular?

quickfeet
01-25-2019, 02:59 PM
Looking for pictures on how you carry your spare tubulars on your road bike. I switched today and want some solutions other than the clunky bag I have.

Mike V
01-25-2019, 04:13 PM
https://www.eleven.cc/fold-that-tub/

rwsaunders
01-25-2019, 04:37 PM
Same as shown in link posted by Mike V but placed in a handlebar bag.

bjf
01-25-2019, 04:41 PM
Back in the day, I folded it and placed it under the saddle using an old toe strap. Back then, we used frame pumps. :)

Ralph
01-25-2019, 04:52 PM
For 40 years....For many of those years just folded the tire up under the rear of seat, and used a fabric toe strap around it to hold it in place. But eventually that wore into the sidewall. So for most of those years.....just used an old dark colored sock folded back and put tubular in that....along with CO2 etc....with same toe strap around it. That worked great. Liked that better than a tubular seat bag I had. I could even put two tires in it for a long ride. BTW....usually used tires that had been used before as a spare. If I flatted, no need to re glue on the road that way. Plenty of glue on old tire and rim to get me home.

Mike V
01-25-2019, 05:12 PM
I fold like link and put in old black sock. I either strap to seat with leather Campagnolo toe strap of goes into cut down water bottle in cage.

parris
01-25-2019, 05:21 PM
I used to tape the folded tire to the seat post with electrical tape.

Vamoots58
01-25-2019, 05:36 PM
folded flat and carried in my back jersey pocket. I don't even notice its there been riding that way for so long...

austex
01-25-2019, 06:34 PM
Figure-eight, across my shoulders, Eroica-style....:cool:

quickfeet
01-25-2019, 07:36 PM

I wondered how many posts it would take to get to this answer

quickfeet
01-25-2019, 07:36 PM

Perfect, this is exactly what I needed. Mounted right up and I have a sweet mounting strap already

Mike V
01-25-2019, 08:50 PM
Tater will be proud

Dasarbule
01-25-2019, 09:13 PM
Cut down water bottle. Pump, allen keys, spare quick link and cash fits in there too. I drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the bottle to let water pass out.

Tim Porter
01-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Neatly but not compulsively tightly rolled up and secured with and a toe strap. As per Ralph, above, plenty of old glue to get me home. Has worked for the last 40+ years.

Last summer:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/IMG_2726_zpsh8ju6kw4.jpg

joosttx
01-25-2019, 09:28 PM

photos or it didnt happen. :)

oldpotatoe
01-26-2019, 07:14 AM
Looking for pictures on how you carry your spare tubulars on your road bike. I switched today and want some solutions other than the clunky bag I have.

Wrap it up flat and strap under yer saddle..Use a Binda or Campagnolo strap for most coffee shop points...Easiest if you open the valve(or take it out) and roll the tire up to get all the air outta it..Also pre glue it.let dry.

If I worry about 2 flats(had this 3 times since 1985..2 flats n one ride)..I carry another in a cut off water bottle..On my wet weather moots(I own no clinchers), I put the tire in an old sock..with a metal lever and $5...

Congratulations on adding a truly superior tire system to your rig..you won't be disappointed!!

Joxster
01-26-2019, 07:40 AM
I did a video a while back on how to fold tubs, i’ll see if I can dig it out......

AngryScientist
01-26-2019, 07:43 AM
Admittedly I ride small bikes so anything strapped to the underside of my saddle gets pretty dirty and gritty; especially on wet road days since my saddle is physically pretty close to the rear tire. As such; a spare tubie just strapped down there would attract some definite road mung, especially on the preglued base tape. For this reason I use an Arundel tubie bag. Works nicely and cinches up tight under the saddle with no swaying.

merckx
01-26-2019, 08:20 AM
I carry my spare tire around my waist. I never leave home without it.

rockdude
01-26-2019, 08:34 AM

rrudoff
01-26-2019, 09:04 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
01-26-2019, 09:07 AM
For me the answer is easy... I do not carry even a pump :D

redir
01-26-2019, 09:19 AM
I fold mine up and put it in a Thompson seat post sack and attach it to my saddle with a strap or velcro strip. I think the sack helps protect it. That's a can of some flat fixer stuff taped to the seatpost. But it doesn't really work so I don't bother carrying that stuff anymore.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Z69ykolyEKtwF0MBvtc0skOuMDniWmMbu0r4dVisfOqscnt9DN M8k4YcOdpkaW7Ku6BSjBMgMXkSV8I5ssHA6MN_-0yXImXdN84RxJKFDZg2HaiBY7lX3vt5Bb-eM8AGM0YVjzrphwP9-FvqktMCTJDVP8M8wGeWJhCw7wCpee9w67lCBLtRZPaxbjIbKZv 9PJoL6CyG6rwZUAIq0kLWp8J560c2ne-1TwGMqmkfheR0dlIV-drIIMwdM6ZiGqsHWv889kZ8zO8_oijTU2D8yqocfqBgwIjRtux paDSY2ewYmiT34gogv5E_uR04tsrWrzCCNWJsaX0Rnh1RTxGUS Dei_-ghCCKUpqPw13zTFB2n_GUwZvfAkYY_uRS2UN1i6yQa-Vf3Jlf-zwrBq7bKPLfOgMs0NZZ5xRlOonBI89La-QtJjGFyAXGeWifhXOQCXUWinyvYy_Ym8WQEhZpDvQ2mWNJiC0r Uf24HV2vEQitRDiIXO5Qw8hhRD66zcndJoCBi3tJSXwlEGoPPj UV_y_9yHYFM54O0GyqFQJwXOLAnL2Z24c44diRR06cYuZsspy8 F73ABq50aTYRTYPjqvBYjM7p9S9W-6__fNLniUwySTFDiy4VqT0QF0i8Ub_IGDtX38SNGfsSZxfscN8 QLVdHnAA=w1612-h1090-no

austex
01-26-2019, 12:29 PM

Atsa me....:p

quickfeet
01-26-2019, 01:42 PM

This makes me cringe. :mad:

zap
01-26-2019, 04:04 PM
Back jersey pocket.

pbarry
01-26-2019, 08:11 PM
Neatly but not compulsively tightly rolled up and secured with and a toe strap. As per Ralph, above, plenty of old glue to get me home. Has worked for the last 40+ years.

Last summer:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/IMG_2726_zpsh8ju6kw4.jpg

Nice rig!!

fogrider
01-26-2019, 11:17 PM
I use narrow tire for a spare and it folds up pretty compact...tuck in a tire lever and drop it into the second waterbottle cage...unless its a long hot ride, then it goes under the saddle.

froze
01-26-2019, 11:32 PM
Back in the day, I folded it and placed it under the saddle using an old toe strap. Back then, we used frame pumps. :)

LOL, I remembering doing that too, great days but I didn't much care for tubulars back then because they had little in flat protection so I always carried two spare strapped to the underside of the saddle. I also carried my tubular flat repair kit and several times I flatted all three tubs and had to sit on the side of the road taking stitching apart, patching and restitching, fun fun fun, tubs had nothing for flat protection back then. When Specialized came out with the Turbo folding tire and better flat protection, I got new rims asap and those tires and never looked back.

Frame pumps I liked, they were much easier to pump then even the best mini pumps of today like the Lezyne Road Drive. Last summer I bought my first new frame pump since the early 80's for my touring bike a Zefal HPX, but I do carry a mini when touring for backup just in case. The new Zefal HPX works a lot better than the Topeak Morph G that I own and consider it to be a half frame pump that can convert into a mini floor pump.

I still have my last Zefal I bought in the 80's but it no longer puts out much air; and I also still have a Silca Impero with a Campy head from the early 80's and that thing is almost new in condition and still pumps quite well, but I don't use it anymore, it sets on my bookshelf for looks!

Today you can get saddle bags like the Topeak Aero Wedge in a large size that will take a tubular inside, or it also has straps under the bag specifically for a tubular, BUT I wouldn't recommend using those straps for that purpose because over time those straps stretch out and won't rebound, so just don't bother using them and stick it inside, it'll fit just fine with room to spare. I know this for a fact because I use to put a folding tire in my bag along with a tube, mini tool, tire repair tools, and other sorted odds and ends.

monkeybanana86
01-26-2019, 11:41 PM
I fold mine into an an Arundel or Jandd saddle bag (let all the air out as Potatoe suggests) and a second one in my front bag, handlebar or mini rando bag. I ride on trails sometimes and I've gotten double flats on several occasions.

uber
01-27-2019, 03:01 AM
I buy a very narrow Tufo tire that I use only for a spare. Once the air is out, it folds up pretty small and goes into a ziplock bag so it easily slides in and out of a jersey pocket. It goes without saying to have the right length valve extender on the tire. I need to remember to replace that tire every so often too.

froze
01-27-2019, 07:38 PM
I buy a very narrow Tufo tire that I use only for a spare. Once the air is out, it folds up pretty small and goes into a ziplock bag so it easily slides in and out of a jersey pocket. It goes without saying to have the right length valve extender on the tire. I need to remember to replace that tire every so often too.

Believe it or not tires last a VERY long time when not in use. I have a set of tires I got on a bike that I bought built in 1984 that came with the original tires and those tires did not have one crack on them nor was the tread glazed, and I actually rode the bike for about 200 miles on those tires before replacing them to get better puncture resistant tire, but I could have used those tires till they wore out that's how good of condition they were in and still are in! The bike with the tires in question were stored in an attic in NE Indiana for about 25 years before I bought it. I still have a folding tire, all folded up, that I use to carry as a spare (before I came to the realization that modern tires, unless I use Conti tires, do not fail like they use to), that I carried with me for about 15 years, now sets in a drawer where it's been for about 5 years, and it too is still good to ride on with no cracks anywhere.

Personally since it is a spare tire you have, there is no reason to replace it unless you see cracks forming on the tread, but usually they form on the sidewall, or the tread looks glazed, if there are not such defects than the tire is good to go indefinitely! Even car tires are still sort of safe to go, I helped a friend of mine bring home a 1962 T-Bird about 5 years ago that had the original tires on it!! After spending much of the day getting it to start, we put air in the tires, the tires had cracks...lots of cracks, my friend decided to risk it and drive it back because tire shops were closed, so I followed him for 50 some odd miles home and the tires held up...not something I would have done but it was his car and not mine! Even if a bicycle tire tread is glazed but there are no cracks it will still serve the purpose as an emergency get you home tire, you just wouldn't want to see how fast you can go down a steep winding mountain road on it, but eventually as you ride on it the glaze should wear off at least partially though the rubber maybe a bit stiff providing less traction then it did when it was new, but again it's an emergency spare tire so take it easy going home.

Of course what I've said is a personal opinion, you have to do what makes you feel comfortable, but I think your over replacing the spare. Heck tubes go bad far quicker than a tire in storage, or in a seat bag, and I only replace tubes about once every 5 years and sometimes longer. I'm also a tightwad so there is that!

VC Slim
01-27-2019, 08:37 PM
I carry two spares in a Jann tubie seat bag. Each is roll folded and stuffed into separate old socks which helps to prevent sidewall chafing. The tires are placed side by side which fits nicely into the bag. I also carry a tire "iron" which is used to break the cement bond.

teleguy57
01-27-2019, 09:10 PM
for most rides a single pre-glued tubular in an Arundel Tubi bag, with a small flat-blade screwdriver with the edges rounded with a file in case I have to take off the tire. First line of defense is a small bottle of Bontrager sealant carried with a valve-core removal tool. Since that approach I've not had to strip a tire while on the road. I decided not to use the sealant pre-emptively, although OldPotatoe and others go that route.

For really long rides far away from support I use a Jannd Dual with two tubulars along with the sealant. I think that's belt suspenders, and a spare belt:)

Tickdoc
01-27-2019, 09:27 PM
Gently used corsa folded and held in place with a toe strap. Makes it easy to go from bike to bike.

https://i.imgur.com/3HzXSF2l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0J68SU7l.jpg

fogrider
01-27-2019, 11:28 PM
I carry two spares in a Jann tubie seat bag. Each is roll folded and stuffed into separate old socks which helps to prevent sidewall chafing. The tires are placed side by side which fits nicely into the bag. I also carry a tire "iron" which is used to break the cement bond.

I use to carry two tires...but I figured most of my rides go pretty on the same roads...so I carry one, and stash a few along my route...

TMD
01-27-2019, 11:35 PM
Ayone ever put their tubular in a bottler cager holder bag. I'm able to fit all my clincher gear in a Lezyne bottle carrier. looks pretty good.

osbk67
01-28-2019, 01:11 AM
for most rides a single pre-glued tubular in an Arundel Tubi bag, with a small flat-blade screwdriver with the edges rounded with a file in case I have to take off the tire. First line of defense is a small bottle of Bontrager sealant carried with a valve-core removal tool. Since that approach I've not had to strip a tire while on the road. I decided not to use the sealant pre-emptively, although OldPotatoe and others go that route.

For really long rides far away from support I use a Jannd Dual with two tubulars along with the sealant. I think that's belt suspenders, and a spare belt:)

Cheers, that answers a question I was about to ask. I don't want to weigh down and slow down new tyres with sealant, but sealing a flat sounds preferable to replacing the tyre and trusting re-adhesion to luck as we did BITD.

How many times have you employed the post-flat re-seal option successfully?

ultraman6970
01-28-2019, 01:23 AM
When I remember carry one I put it in the second water bottle cage...fits perfect, but what I do not carry since many years ago is a pump. I trust my tubbies that much.

Ayone ever put their tubular in a bottler cager holder bag. I'm able to fit all my clincher gear in a Lezyne bottle carrier. looks pretty good.

VC Slim
01-28-2019, 09:00 AM
I use to carry two tires...but I figured most of my rides go pretty on the same roads...so I carry one, and stash a few along my route...

Hah, I've left flat ones by the side of the road and later come back to get them. BTW I patch my own tires.

pobrien
01-28-2019, 09:05 AM
I wrap mine in plastic and carry in back jersey pocket.
I figure that the spare may act as a small buffer to my back if I hit the deck!

VC Slim
01-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Cheers, that answers a question I was about to ask. I don't want to weigh down and slow down new tyres with sealant, but sealing a flat sounds preferable to replacing the tyre and trusting re-adhesion to luck as we did BITD.

A friend went the carry only sealant route once. When he was forced to employ it the hole in the tire was so large that a gyser of sealant went squirting out. Needless to say it didn't seal and inflate. I gave him one of my spares and personally pumped it up with my Zefal HPX (I don't trust others with my frame pump).

chiasticon
01-28-2019, 10:55 AM
Ayone ever put their tubular in a bottler cager holder bag. I'm able to fit all my clincher gear in a Lezyne bottle carrier. looks pretty good.yeah when I used to run tubs I did this. I just cut two old bottles in half and put the bottoms together.

downside is you have less water. so plan your route around where there are water stops. hence the drinking fountain seen here:

http://a68.tinypic.com/14y4r5f.jpg

Lewis Moon
01-28-2019, 11:43 AM

+1. If it was a really good tire I wrapped a shop rag around it.

teleguy57
01-28-2019, 12:09 PM

A friend went the carry only sealant route once. When he was forced to employ it the hole in the tire was so large that a gyser of sealant went squirting out. Needless to say it didn't seal and inflate. I gave him one of my spares and personally pumped it up with my Zefal HPX (I don't trust others with my frame pump).

Without jinxing myself about my lack of flatting the past several years on good tubulars :banana: I will say that the last two times I used the sealant post-flat I was able to get home. Once I had to stop and repump the tire several times, but still got home; the other I was able to keep riding the tire until the tread wore out.

And yes, real frame pumps are the ticket! I've carried CO2,and have more confidence in my pump. And yes, I've pumped tires for others and once even put my spare tub on a friend's clincher rim to get him back home after he neglected to bring a tube.

monkeybanana86
01-28-2019, 12:12 PM
yeah when I used to run tubs I did this. I just cut two old bottles in half and put the bottoms together.

downside is you have less water. so plan your route around where there are water stops. hence the drinking fountain seen here:

http://a68.tinypic.com/14y4r5f.jpg

If you are ever thinking of selling that....:)

Gsinill
01-28-2019, 12:31 PM

I fold it like ^^this but keep it a little longer, basically the length of my pump.
Then it goes into an SKS gear bottle and my ST cage.
Most of my rides are between 20 and 50 miles, so even in summer I get away with one bottle.
Keeps everything clean and dry and makes it easy to swap bikes.

https://i.postimg.cc/7ZmdLynb/Folded-tire-in-SKS-gear-bottle.png

chiasticon
01-28-2019, 01:12 PM
If you are ever thinking of selling that....:)hah! yeah I'll let you know ;)

I really should do a build thread on it. it's got a completely different group (Campy), power meter and wheels now!