PDA

View Full Version : Jones Loop hbar experiment

eddief
01-25-2019, 02:41 PM
My current Jones experiment. Been riding with FSA carbon compact bars at a couple of cm above saddle height. I also ride the biggest bikes I can and all 3 have tall tall headtubes. This combo has been delightful for a long time. This setup allows for easy cruising and easily getting into the drops anytime. The reason for trying Jones was that I am old and my hands hurt where my thumbs meet my wrists. As of today, the Jones are now pretty well dialed in. I am running a full 10 spd. Tiagra 4700 triple drivetrain with thumb shifters from that group and GS rear derailleur rated to handle up to 32 tooth cog. I am running it with 11-34 with zero issues and the group is really snicky and clicky. I like it.

I ran my carbon drops with a 12cm +10 stem. On Jones, after trial and error over 100 miles, I am now running 10cm +17. I am also using Ergon GC1 grips for swept back bars. I am comfy upright on the grips but find myself riding much more with my wrists on the intersection where the front loop meets the rearward bar. In this position, I am leant over sorta like being on the hoods of drops and the soft part of my palm supported by the loop intersection. Really easy to go back and forth between grips and leant over position. Just getting the Ergons installed at the right angle for the most comfort has taken many small tuning angle adjustments.

Should say Jeff Jones swears at using Ergons and swears by his own silicone grips. I tried those and with my hand issues found them to be worthless. Ergon are like pillows...relatively speaking. So much more support for my precious paws. Also I am experimenting with how the heck to tape the bars. I know I need at least two layers of my favorite Deda cushiony tape.

When descending on the Jones I felt a little shaky trying to brake in the upright position that is required by flat bar brake levers mounted in the normal placement near the grips. My next experiment will be to try these flat bar brake levers mounted on the front of the loop ala moustache bars. How do you get brake levers with non-hinged clamps mounted on the 22.2 closed front loop? These?

https://porkchopbmx.com/dia-compe-tech-77-locking-bmx-freestyle-brake-levers-lever-set-silver/

Joe Remi
01-25-2019, 03:24 PM
Yep, those will work, I've used them. Just be aware that the levers are kinda short, like the old "2-finger" levers we used to put on mountain bikes.

But that's an extreme option IMO. What you can do is mimic Jones' long grips by wrapping some bar tape inboard of the Ergons, with your levers pushed all the way up to where the loop stops them.

eddief
01-25-2019, 03:37 PM
these are 660 bars.

charliedid
01-25-2019, 07:17 PM
I'd ride it for a while ( or have you?) before sinking too much $ into it. You know this but you have altered the fit dramatically and almost entirely unweighted the front end of that bike. Did you change the saddle? Maybe you get used to it and all will be well but...

Anyway whatever works to some degree but your comment on feeling shaky when braking is a direct result of what I posted above.

Also Jeff is riding his bars on a bike designed around those bars. Not apples-apples by any stretch.

Hope you get the thumb pain sorted out though.

eddief
01-25-2019, 07:47 PM
After each ride so far I have kept dialing things in: change stem, change tape, change Jones grips to Ergons, adjust Ergons, adjust angle of shifters and brake levers. The best adjustment was the stem that brought the bars a bit higher and the loop closer. That enabled the "hood-like" aero-ish position. I can brake fairly effectively with the way things are now but was wondering if the holy grail might be being able to brake while aero on the junction of the loop and crossbar. That would keep more weight over the front while descending with curves. Time will tell.

I'd ride it for a while ( or have you?) before sinking too much $ into it. You know this but you have altered the fot dramatically and almost entirely unweighted the front end of that bike. Did you change the saddle? Maybe you get used to it and all will be well but...

Anyway whatever works to some degree but your comment on feeling shaky when braking is a direct result of what I posted above.

Also Jeff is riding his bars on a bike designed around those bars. Not apples-apples by any stretch.

Hope you get the thumb pain sorted out though.

charliedid
01-25-2019, 08:03 PM
After each ride so far I have kept dialing things in: change stem, change tape, change Jones grips to Ergons, adjust Ergons, adjust angle of shifters and brake levers. The best adjustment was the stem that brought the bars a bit higher and the loop closer. That enabled the "hood-like" aero-ish position. I can brake fairly effectively with the way things are now but was wondering if the holy grail might be being able to brake while aero on the junction of the loop and crossbar. That would keep more weight over the front while descending with curves. Time will tell.

Yep

I had them on a SOMA Wolverine and even with a stretched out-ish fit I wanted to be out there. In the end I sold that bike and bars.

I'm just wondering if you are in effect attempting to get right back to where you wee on your FSA drop bars? Just thinking out loud.

eddief
01-25-2019, 08:16 PM
ride fast in my 3 club pavement rides per week. hunker down and "race" with my old fart buddies and ride with relative comfort. I still have my fav Domane with drops and think it will be good to trade off riding both bikes and vary the hand positions more often.

the Jones have actually changed up my ti bike to be interesting in a new way.

charliedid
01-25-2019, 08:25 PM
ride fast in my 3 club pavement rides per week. hunker down and "race" with my old fart buddies and ride with relative comfort. I still have my fav Domane with drops and think it will be good to trade off riding both bikes and vary the hand positions more often.

the Jones have actually changed up my ti bike to be interesting in a new way.

Sounds like a plan!