PDA

View Full Version : Real OT / Sudden Passing 1 Year (Long)

dcowboys31
01-25-2019, 02:38 PM
I still frequent this site but do not have much to offer, however I posted here last year after my wife passed and the replies I received were extremely helpful at the time. Bikes were a part of my life since I was a kid (BMX) to Mt Bikes in the mid 90’s, to road riding and racing until 2004 then replaced with golf. Met my wife and not much exercise after that except going to the gym a few times a week. That changed in the summer of 2017 when I bought a Cannondale Mt bike at REI and started some short weekly bike rides and after a few months started getting back that great feeling I remembered after a long ride. In fact at Thanksgiving that year I mentioned I was thankful most for that bike as it got me going back in a better direction. This was followed up by some easy running and eventually entering two 5K races late that year. My wife also was getting in better shape that fall and after a gradual 30 lb weight loss she mentioned how great it was we were both getting healthier at the same time.

On February 3rd 2018 went out that morning on my first 5-mile run and my wife left to get our taxes done. Shocked I made it that far, could not wait to share this with Beth but never got that chance, she had passed suddenly that afternoon from cardiac arrest. She died without me being able to see her, to say good bye, to tell her that I loved her more than anything in the world, just taken from us without notice. Decided I was done with running, with everything, the thought of going to races without her support was unbearable. However over time I would go out for a mile or 1.5 mile runs and just felt terrible. Later in February ran the same 5 mile loop and after that day, for the first time felt some level of comfort afterwards, something I had not felt up until that time. Long, unbearably slow runs followed for months, the miles added up and the consistent thing was when I was done I felt O.K., relieved, some sort of comfort.

The house would end up being sold and I was forced to find an affordable apartment in the MetroWest/Boston area that would allow a 100lb Old English Sheepdog which proved to be very difficult. Went from having a beautiful home, family, yard and all of chaos that comes with it, to living alone in a studio apartment, starting at ground zero. Attended bereavement groups and therapy once a week but there is no “healing” for this sort of thing. Time certainly takes the edge off the pain but I will never be the same person I was, that life is now behind me. Go to her grave site often sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for over an hour. I can talk to her there, sort of feel her presence if that makes any sense. Bring flowers every time so that she will always be remembered.

Ended up doing over fifteen 5K races this year, one in July, one in August and the rest in the fall and holiday season. The ONLY time I ever feel OK is after a race or hard run. The idea that I could live, function or do anything at all (seriously) after losing Beth, was not something I could have imagined. But to continue on with some purpose has been what has kept me going. This all started because I did not want to take my bike out in the rain and get it all messed up. Never would have imagined that on that one random Sunday, trying to sprint a mile, would eventually set me up with a hobby, an outlet that has been the only thing that has gotten me through this awful year. Ended up selling that bike last Thursday and am not ashamed to admit I cried on the drive home.

Jay

Tickdoc
01-25-2019, 02:48 PM
Sorry for your loss.

twin
01-25-2019, 02:54 PM
You are in a really difficult position and I’m
so sorry. It sounds like you have figured out what helps you. I hope things continue to get a little better with time.

Blue Jays
01-25-2019, 03:07 PM
Hang in there, dcowboys31.

Rpoole8537
01-25-2019, 03:08 PM
Time does help, and don't give up on grief counseling. We all grieve in different ways and different timeframes. Riding my bike and counseling helped me recover from a divorce after 23 years of marriage. Exercise is a fantastic treatment for many of the physical and emotional issues that we encounter as humans.

biker72
01-25-2019, 03:33 PM
My wife passed away almost 4 years ago. We were married 54 years. The first year after her passing was a little rough.

Fortunately cycling and having a job to go to have been great diversions for me. Hang in there Jay. It WILL get better.

AngryScientist
01-25-2019, 03:39 PM
oh man, i'm really sorry for your loss Jay.

I'm going through a very difficult time right now as well, and training for a marathon. running daily is probably the only thing keeping me sane. i find when i have a tired body, my mind can also find some rest.

keep fighting. things will get better.

gasman
01-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Jay-

I remember when you posted about losing Beth. I just can't imagine to have such a sudden loss. It seems to be different for everyone. You don't necessarily get over it but with friends, activities , etc you do get through it, a day at a time.

I have a good friend that lost his daughter suddenly 2 months ago. He's struggling daily and that's all he can do.

redir
01-25-2019, 03:53 PM
That's tough man, hang in there. I just heard an article yesterday about the connection between exercise and depression. If running works for you then keep running it's good for you in all kinds of ways.

crashnburn
01-25-2019, 04:13 PM
Sorry for your loss...
Yes, time will eventually heal this.
Keep running/exercising, it will help a lot.

Hilltopperny
01-25-2019, 04:43 PM
Jay,

Thanks for sharing again and my condolences. Loss of a loved one is always difficult and when it happens so suddenly we are typically left with so many unanswered questions and the unwarranted guilt that comes along with it.

I lost my father at the age of 15 and still find time to go and talk to him at the cemetery. I find it therapeutic and like you still feel his presence. Keep moving forward, try and stay physically active and have someone to talk to are probably the best advice I can give.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

XXtwindad
01-25-2019, 05:35 PM
Jay,

Thanks for sharing again and my condolences. Loss of a loved one is always difficult and when it happens so suddenly we are typically left with so many unanswered questions and the unwarranted guilt that comes along with it.

I lost my father at the age of 15 and still find time to go and talk to him at the cemetery. I find it therapeutic and like you still feel his presence. Keep moving forward, try and stay physically active and have someone to talk to are probably the best advice I can give.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I wanted to express something meaningful, but I was struggling. Then I Hilltopperny's response and realized I couldn't phrase it any better.

My condolences.

Hellgate
01-25-2019, 06:48 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

I encourage you to look after yourself and do healthy things.

Is easy to go to the negative, and as I'm sure you know all too well some days are better than others.

I've struggled with PTSD as a result of the wars for the past 13 years. Find healthy things that work for you, and don't be to proud to ask for help in the dark times.

I offer my deepest condolences.

weisan
01-25-2019, 07:58 PM
very few human relationships developed such a deep bond of oneness.

It's a rare gift and a heavenly blessing.

The only downside is, when one of the two is gone ahead and the other is left behind, he or she will never feel the same again.

That yearning is insufferable.

It reminded us that we were really never meant to be alone or self sufficient. We were meant to be shared and to love.

Gummee
01-26-2019, 07:43 AM
The scar will scab over and the pain does go away somewhat.

...but... there'll be a memory that'll rip the scab right back off and it'll come screaming back.

that too happens less frequently with time, but never really goes away.

HTH

M

Jad
01-26-2019, 08:14 AM
One day at a time, my friend. Sometimes one hour at a time. Talk to people, and be open when you can. Enjoy running when you can. Keep at it, and thanks for sharing your experience.

Have you had a chance to try out any group runs? They can be interesting.

jghall
01-26-2019, 08:29 AM
I'll echo the others Jay, so sorry for the loss. Easy for people to say, and for those struggling to believe, but time does make it more manageable. Never gone, but hopefully less of a void.

Find some comfort in whatever gives a little piece of mind. Cycling, running, volunteering at a dog shelter, for the elderly, etc. Or even with your friends and support network here. Thoughts and prayers.

oldpotatoe
01-26-2019, 08:54 AM
Time does help, and don't give up on grief counseling. We all grieve in different ways and different timeframes. Riding my bike and counseling helped me recover from a divorce after 23 years of marriage. Exercise is a fantastic treatment for many of the physical and emotional issues that we encounter as humans.

I agree..an impartial third party counselor saved my bacon..don't give up on therapy..

"It'll be ok in the end, if it's not OK, it's not the end"

Good luck, good thoughts traveling your way...