PDA

View Full Version : Price for an 1up usa bike rack

cetuximab
01-25-2019, 07:07 AM
I am buying a 1up rack from a friend. He is moving and wants to sell. I want him to be happy with the price. I want to be happy. I searched ebay and did not find one for sale. I also searched craigslist searchtempest (1000 m radius) and did not find one for sale. Only light use

Thanks in advance.

Mikej
01-25-2019, 07:09 AM
Details

TBLS
01-25-2019, 07:23 AM
Locally or in the Midwest these seem to sell quickly once posted. Since one up is direct do not see them on sale (I bought my KuAt with 20% off REI deal) so starting point may be retail less % discount.

My feel is 60-75% retail based on condition. There is also a one up comparable rack out there you can find in the forum

Good luck. As seller, he should have a view of fair market.

JAGI410
01-25-2019, 07:44 AM
35% off of retail is pretty fair.

rockdude
01-25-2019, 08:45 AM
They don't come up for sale very often, Pay want ever they ask.

cetuximab
01-25-2019, 08:56 AM
Locally or in the Midwest these seem to sell quickly once posted. Since one up is direct do not see them on sale (I bought my KuAt with 20% off REI deal) so starting point may be retail less % discount.

My feel is 60-75% retail based on condition. There is also a one up comparable rack out there you can find in the forum

Good luck. As seller, he should have a view of fair market.

He has no clue what to ask. He also asked me to price the bikes he wants to sell.

eddief
01-25-2019, 09:13 AM
most folks who want one would probably buy it in a second if it was close by and priced at $75 below retail. Of course depending on condition. Pretty robustly built and not prone to much wear. Gotta say the red latchy things are pretty damn fussy though.

scopes
01-25-2019, 11:10 AM
I ended up finding a used one locally, I didn't think I'd ever see one for sale used.

I paid $500 CAD, list is $609 USD ($807 CAD before shipping). Mine is a black 2" Heavy Duty Double and was in mint condition.

After two years of use I fully believe that they are worth their list price.

loxx0050
01-25-2019, 11:35 AM
If it were me and I'd want to still stay buddies then offer him $100 less than he paid. I've only ever seen a 1UP for sale 2x when looking. 1st of a damaged one that guy had a replacement one paid for by insurance (car accident) and 2nd was about 33% off of retail and that disappeared fast.

Ozz
01-25-2019, 11:37 AM
He needs to sell it....you are the most convenient, and probably worth the friends and family discount.

Assuming you already have a serviceable bike rack, you don't really need it, and are doing him a favor by "upgrading" your current rack....if you don't currently have a rack then maybe you do need it.

Ask him what he would be willing to take for it...

Assuming he paid $600, he will probably say $400...offer him $350 and the deal is done.

Cheers.

sitzmark
01-25-2019, 11:45 AM
Black single sold on the Bay this morning - $300.
Two doubles sold in December - one for best offer on $398 list and another sold for $450. Search 1up rack “completed” for details.

Ralph
01-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Which model, 2" receiver or 1 1/4". For how many bikes? for 1 bike or more....how many additions? Black or the silver model.

I have a silver heavy duty for two bikes, with 2" receiver, with addition for one more bike for a total of 3. As I recall....I paid about $750 new shipped.

pdmtong
01-25-2019, 01:17 PM
does he want to do the deal with you or have you start a negotiation?

the "discount off new" has to reflect the condition, the configuration and how it matches or not to your needs, and lack of warranty (if you care about that)

Since those NEVER go on sale, I'd say at least 20% but more like 30%.

People love those racks.

I suppose you could also factor the loss on the rack you will sell once you get the 1up

bearcrawl
01-26-2019, 04:51 PM
I looked on the second hand market for almost a year and never found one. Just ended up buying direct. Tough to find deals on those things. They are pretty awesome. Last year at one point the were giving away coolers with purchase. Wish I had pulled the trigger then.

toronto-rider
01-27-2019, 01:31 PM
I have had mine since May and love it. It is built like a tank.

Mikej
01-27-2019, 02:47 PM
i wanted me soo bad - then 1up was at a race with a demo. They are kind of not really easy to load, you have to have a third hand to hold the bike while you operate the latches. That’s when I felt really good about not paying retail. I want one but for the ease of starage in the garage glws - but a 2” double would be around $350 to me. Black or silver, hd or standard-

Anybody looking for a Thule roof rack square bars fairing with 3 echelon trays and locks.

Ralph
01-27-2019, 05:40 PM
i wanted me soo bad - then 1up was at a race with a demo. They are kind of not really easy to load, you have to have a third hand to hold the bike while you operate the latches. That’s when I felt really good about not paying retail. I want one but for the ease of starage in the garage glws - but a 2” double would be around $350 to me. Black or silver, hd or standard-

Anybody looking for a Thule roof rack square bars fairing with 3 echelon trays and locks.

Don't quite understand why you think it takes 3 hands. I don't with mine. Open the arms all the way, load a bike, and fold the arm down on the tire. it just rachets down. one hand. The clincher for me is how little space they take up in my garage after I fold it up. it's so simple also. They are expensive, but well worth it IMHO (unless you are hauling a bike with fenders).

eddief
01-27-2019, 05:46 PM
You gotta hold the bike and fiddle with the red lever and pull back the arm at the same time. on the other hand, i have found that on my road bike, one wheel holder generally hangs onto the bike as you use one hand on the lever and the other on the arm. a bit o finesse is all.

Don't quite understand why you think it takes 3 hands. I don't with mine. Open the arms all the way, load a bike, and fold the arm down on the tire. it just rachets down. one hand. The clincher for me is how little space they take up in my garage after I fold it up. it's so simple also. They are expensive, but well worth it IMHO (unless you are hauling a bike with fenders).

Ralph
01-27-2019, 06:44 PM
You fold back the arms before you put the bike on the rack....then it just ratchets down tight on wheel. I do have to put a shoulder into the frame, lift handle, and put arm back....to take a bike off.

happycampyer
01-27-2019, 07:17 PM
Don't quite understand why you think it takes 3 hands. I don't with mine. Open the arms all the way, load a bike, and fold the arm down on the tire. it just rachets down. one hand. The clincher for me is how little space they take up in my garage after I fold it up. it's so simple also. They are expensive, but well worth it IMHO (unless you are hauling a bike with fenders).I guess everyone has their technique, but I open the arm that will hold the front wheel outward (say, 2 o’clock), but the one that holds the rear wheel just 90°. When I place the bike in the rack, I roll it back into the arm, so I can take my hand off of the bike entirely if I want and it just leans against the side of the arm. I agree that the little red levers are fiddly, but they’re a minor inconvenience overall given the things the rack does well.