PDA

View Full Version : Bike Ordering Delay Question

scopes
01-24-2019, 11:50 AM
Question for the PL:

In January I got the ball rolling on purchasing a new mountain bike, there are two shops that could get it semi-local to me. Purchase price of over $6k if that is relevant.

Shop A had the bike in stock, though was a few hours away from my location. Shop B had one on order and I was quoted early February arrival.

Both offered the bike at comparable discounted rates and I chose B as it was local to me and would be easier for warranty issues if any came about. I placed a deposit on the bike from B.

I have been updated that the bike ordered would now be arriving at least a month later (early March). Is it unreasonable to request my deposit back from Shop B and purchase the bike from Shop A? I know I have committed but I feel the circumstances have shifted.

I realize I am likely overthinking the situation as I had a major injury last summer that put me in an aircast for months, and I'm very eager to get back on the bike. My riding group is also planning a trip before March that I'd like to be a part of.

Thank you for your wisdom and my apologies if this a silly issue.

Pegoready
01-24-2019, 12:01 PM
You're well within your rights to ask for the deposit back. Just tell them that you had a ride planned, and if you can't get it in early Feb as predicted you will need to get the bike elsewhere.

Shop B should warranty the bike even if you bought it from Shop A. That is the obligation of the authorized dealer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bike magically showed up when you ask for your money back ;) They'll probably call the manufacturer and beg to get one or they'll lose a $6k sale.

Give the shop who actually stepped up and did a preseason order of the bike the benefit of the sale.

old fat man
01-24-2019, 12:44 PM
How much will you ride it in Feb/March? Is it worth the extra travel time (every time in the future too) to shop A for the amount you anticipate using the bike between now and March?

If you stick with shop B, are they able to guarantee the bike will arrive in March as stated or provide a loaner until it does land? I'd hate to give shop B the sale and then have the delay extend out into April or May or worse. Sucks for shop B because I'm sure they'd get it in tomorrow if they could - they're at the mercy of the manufacturer and their preseason choice of not ordering that particular bike.

R3awak3n
01-24-2019, 12:47 PM
I think its more than reasonable.

This happened to me last year where the shop (online shop, aka Glory Cycles) placed the order for the bike and told me for 3 months that it was coming. Only to later find out that the manufacturer actually had the bike in stock and only reason I was not getting it is because they had not gotten the money from Glory. Not saying this shop is doing this (unless its Glory cycles then absolutely go get your money back) but after this happened to me I would ALWAYS just go with the place that has the bike in hand (unless its the LBS and I have a good relationship with of course)

PaMtbRider
01-24-2019, 12:56 PM
See if shop B, your local shop, can work a deal with shop A. That is pretty common for dealers to work with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scopes
01-24-2019, 12:57 PM
Thank you for your thoughts.

I'll see what shop B says about the refund, I just noticed at the bottom of my receipt that deposits are non refundable ...

Luckily, I'm in a place where it doesn't exactly get winter :banana: just very wet. Since it's too dark to ride after work I'd be limited to weekends, but there are 6 of those, including a long weekend (bike trip) before the anticipated March arrival.

They won't guarantee a date, I get it when they get it when the bike is ready.

I'll inquire about the loaner, that's a good point.

cmbicycles
01-24-2019, 01:30 PM
Does Shop A still have the bike? It would stink to go thru the process of getting your deposit back only to find out that the bike at shop A was gone or not what you thought. I would think that since the original terms of the deposit have now changed, you were told a delivery date and that has now been pushed back with no firm guarantee of when it will come in. Your deposit was predicated on the original delivery date, not some ambiguous as yet to be announced date. Original terms were breached in my mind so asking for your deposit back should be no issue, whether they have it listed as such or not. Most bike shops might do a little more leg work if they know you want to take your business elsewhere, especially if they know that this may put a damper on future business.

Spaghetti Legs
01-24-2019, 01:44 PM
I would ask for deposit back and go with option 2. What’s to say the now March delivery gets pushed to April? How hard is it to meet a 4 week delivery on a production bike? I would give my money to the business that wants to work the hardest for it.

AngryScientist
01-24-2019, 02:38 PM

http://podaholics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/a-bird-in-the-hand-745x340.jpg

CNY rider
01-24-2019, 04:06 PM
General rule of thumb I follow:
Any time you place a deposit for an item, you get a written statement on the invoice that if the item isn't available by a certain date, you get your deposit back.

I always allow them plenty of time. So if they say they're pretty sure they will have it in a month, I ask if they're absolutely sure that in 2 months it will be there. They want the sale, they say it will be, then I tell them to put it in writing.

Mark McM
01-24-2019, 04:26 PM
I'll see what shop B says about the refund, I just noticed at the bottom of my receipt that deposits are non refundable ...

Just because it says it on the receipt, doesn't mean its enforceable. Did you play the deposit by credit card? There are credit card protection laws that require a merchant to provide goods within 30 days of when they were promised, or else they have to give the customer other options (including a refund). You could check with your credit card company about your rights and options.

AngryScientist
01-24-2019, 04:56 PM
i think i would start with exploring the option that PaMTBrider mentions above. that would be a good solution

scopes
01-24-2019, 05:12 PM
I'll be calling the other shop to see if they still have the bike in stock, if they do I'll see if the local shop is willing to do a deal with them or can get me the bike sooner, otherwise I've got to go for the bird in hand.

Thank you again for all your insight - it has been very helpful.

scopes
01-25-2019, 04:55 PM
Will have a response from Shop B by mid next week. Either they'll find a way to get me a bike or return the deposit, shop A still has stock.

scopes
03-05-2019, 12:50 PM
Thankfully without too much fuss I was refunded my deposit and went with a different bike and shop all together.

Ended up much happier with this than what I'd originally thought I'd be getting, and feel better about taking my business to ankther shop. I absolutely love the ripmo.

Just need this foot of snow to melt in the woods.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190305/9e65a2334d92e6c2328a53cde138cc26.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Butch
03-05-2019, 03:49 PM
I got to ride one at Outerbike last fall, great riding bike, really like the way it handles