PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Clincher Wheel Suggestions

elcolombiano
01-24-2019, 12:19 AM
I want to get a pair of Campagnolo Clincher Carbon Wheels.

I am between Bora 50mm, Bora 35mm or Fulcrum Speed 40C.

The lower profile may have a more forgiving ride and handle better in the wind. The higher profile are faster. How do I decide what compromise to make?

Duende
01-24-2019, 01:53 AM
Most people I know, say the advantages of the 50mm out weigh the disadvantages.

Having road both now, I think they are right. I went with the 35mm cause I like to hill climb (albeit slowly) and cross winds freak me out. Expected the 35mm to be a lot better but they are only marginally better than the 50mm for these conditions... if that. You really can’t go wrong with either. I can’t say good enough things about the bora wheels.

FWIW, Both handle cross winds better than my Enve 3.4’s, but I suspect Enve’s can handle more abuse... as I use the 3.4’s for gravel and they’ve been troopers!

wkeller79
01-24-2019, 08:48 AM
I have a pair of Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35's, and a pair of Enve 4.5 AR Disc / i9 Torch.

The Bora's are sublime.... stiff, light, strong as f**k and handle phenomenally. My favorite wheel I've ever owned. Can tell a big difference with crosswind composure between the two as well.

elcolombiano
01-24-2019, 11:29 AM
I will get the Bora 35. Strong cross winds freak me out also.

Heisenberg
01-24-2019, 11:42 AM
I had a pair of 50 Ultras (that I miss) and never worried about wind on them, even coming across the Golden Gate Bridge in blustery conditions. They're great in crosswinds (far better than the Zipp/ENVE equivalents), but the Bora 35 corners/handles a wee bit better.

AngryScientist
01-24-2019, 11:43 AM
the 35's are a better all around wheel.

depends of course on the primary purpose of the wheels. if you're riding at high speed in a pack on flatter terrain, the deeper wheels may be better for you.

i'm light, like to climb nd also dont like to fight the bars in cross winds, so 35's are better for me.

zmalwo
01-24-2019, 11:49 AM

I am between Bora 50mm, Bora 35mm or Fulcrum Speed 40C.

The lower profile may have a more forgiving ride and handle better in the wind. The higher profile are faster. How do I decide what compromise to make?

Never noticed any bad handling with my 50mm wheels. go deeper!

Lanternrouge
01-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Never noticed any bad handling with my 50mm wheels. go deeper!

It seems that smaller riders tend to feel more handling issues on deeper rims than do larger ones.

Mark McM
01-24-2019, 12:09 PM
It seems that smaller riders tend to feel more handling issues on deeper rims than do larger ones.

I suspect that bike steering geometry plays a role in cross wind stability, which may also be related to the relationship between wind on deep rims and rider size, as smaller bikes typically have shallower head angles, and frequently smaller trail dimensions as well.

Wind on rear wheels seems to have less affect on stability. Riders who use rear disc wheels often keep using them on windy days, saying that the wind doesn't affect them as much. And even for riders that don't use disc wheels, many riders use a deeper rim in the rear wheel, owing to their being less affected by cross winds.

I've got a 60mm deep wheel on my criterium bike, and even in stiff winds, I don't have any problems with handling or stability.

Johnnysmooth
01-24-2019, 12:14 PM
Have ridden both and now own the 35s. The are more supple, corner a tad better and no significant cross wind issues.

macaroon
01-24-2019, 12:40 PM
The are more supple

Wot?

Blue Jays
01-24-2019, 12:57 PM
Extraordinarily pleased with my Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 50mm wheels.
The aluminum brake track is nice should a surprise rainstorm happen.
The carbon fiber fairing helps them slip through the wind, yet they steer well.

Heisenberg
01-24-2019, 12:58 PM
I suspect that bike steering geometry plays a role in cross wind stability, which may also be related to the relationship between wind on deep rims and rider size, as smaller bikes typically have shallower head angles, and frequently smaller trail dimensions as well.

Smaller bikes tend to have greater trail b/c of limited fork rake options/toe overlap (slack head angles). Most small stock bikes are usually into the 60mm+ range - a fairly slow number, unless the wheelbase gets really short.

fwiw the bike I rode the 50s on had silly low trail

It also has a lot to do with weight balance, and how far that weight is in front of the front wheel. Steering geometry from another perspective.

Anyway, drifting...

TMD
01-25-2019, 12:27 AM
Reynolds has some carbon clinchers on sale right now on their website

oldpotatoe
01-25-2019, 07:42 AM
Reynolds has some carbon clinchers on sale right now on their website

So does HED and lotsa others BUT...:)

zmalwo
01-25-2019, 08:00 AM
Camp eBay! non-disc wheels are so cheap right now I'm sure you can get a pair of Bora Ultra clinchers for under $1k.

mso
01-26-2019, 05:10 PM
Check out the Knight Composite 35. Love the wheel!

uber
01-27-2019, 03:19 AM
I have both the 35 and 50 Bora in tubular. I live in the Northeast where I have to really hunt to find a climb longer than 1.5 mile. I prefer the 50's most of the time for rolling and group rides. 35's are nicer for crosswinds on a very hilly ride but there really isn't that big a difference. The 50's feel faster to me, but I don't really know if they are. Weight difference is negligible. Try Veloflex in 22 or 25mm.

shinomaster
01-27-2019, 12:58 PM
Camp eBay! non-disc wheels are so cheap right now I'm sure you can get a pair of Bora Ultra clinchers for under $1k.

Where??! Also, anyone using these? https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/road-bike-wheels/racing-quattro-carbon

killerrabbit
01-27-2019, 01:29 PM
I'm a fan of the current Mavic SL USTs. Tubeless, and 240s like hubs..