PDA

View Full Version : 36 spoke wheels?

bostondrunk
11-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Does anyone use 36 spoke rear wheels anymore? Is it just a 30 gram or so weight penalty over a 32 spoke wheel??
I have easier access at the moment to some 36 hole parts...

Ken Robb
11-21-2006, 12:42 PM
I have 36 hole MA3 rims on Nuovo Record hubs and they are dandy--I'm no slower due to them than I was on Ksyriums---in fact it's hard for me to get any slower and still remain upright.

vaxn8r
11-21-2006, 12:50 PM
I use 36 spoke wheels...on my tandem. Honestly, if you're going to ride wheels like that you might as well pull out that chrome lugged, chrome forked tri-colored Pinarello Columbus SL out of the basement. You know the one I'm talkin' about.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... ;)

bostondrunk
11-21-2006, 01:08 PM
I use 36 spoke wheels...on my tandem. Honestly, if you're going to ride wheels like that you might as well pull out that chrome lugged, chrome forked tri-colored Pinarello Columbus SL out of the basement. You know the one I'm talkin' about.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... ;)

Well......i'm pretty dumbs......but I don't think the extra 4 spokes is quite -that- bad...:)

vaxn8r
11-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Old school baby!

ergott
11-21-2006, 03:46 PM
No reason not to. You know kids these days. 36 is like the old station wagon. Better than any SUV for 99% of what they are used for, but have a retro stigma to them.

cpg
11-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Dude,<revert to your Valley Girl voice>

36 holes? That's like... four more than 32! So 1990.

Curt

Too Tall
11-21-2006, 04:13 PM
My take? With a very good rim such as the gold standards weuns seem to like (OPs, Velocitys etc.) it builds a brick of a wheel. Feels dead as a door nail to me and is overkill for most everything I'd do. All my wheels are are 32 and never looked back. Same rims diff. feel.

I've got a set of 36 spole Phil wheels left over from randos of the past and they will not die but you know what??? Same can be said of the well built 32 spoke clinchers I have. It is not about durability if we are talking guys my size and used similar. Put another 30/40 lbs on me and I'd have a diff. answer.

Stay drunk. :cool:

flydhest
11-21-2006, 04:44 PM
TT,
I have put another 30/40 pounds on you (can you believe I was up at 225+ earlier this year?) and I think you're right, you will notice a difference. I'm hard on toys, and 36 spokes makes sense to me in some apps, like early spring wheels for me when I've been eating too much of my own cooking. In fact, I'm planning on lacing some up this winter, but going--as an experiment--with some revos or something like that. More spokes, lighter spokes, anybody know what to expect?

Oh, and TT, yep, they're tubies.

Ahneida Ride
11-21-2006, 04:51 PM
run 36, front and back .... 3x lacing

fiamme red
11-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Oh, and TT, yep, they're tubies.http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=internet-bob.10502.0627.eml

Too Tall
11-21-2006, 05:42 PM
http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=internet-bob.10502.0627.eml

Yo! You actually bookmark that cr@p???? My new hero.

fiamme red
11-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Yo! You actually bookmark that cr@p???? My new hero.http://search.bikelist.org/

Bradford
11-21-2006, 06:25 PM
I have a set of 36 and a set of 32. The main difference is the the 36 rear doesn't go out of true, the 32 does.

When you are old and fat like me, the 36 is more durable and the lighter wheel just doesn't make enough difference.

saab2000
11-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Kiddies,

I had my Swiss Itca with 36 hole wheels F&R and never felt a difference. 'Cept I NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER had to true those mofos. But of course they were nearly symmetrical 'cuz they were made with Nuovo Record hubs.

I feel dead as a door nail nowadays 'cuz I ride about 75 miles a week :( and have to pay bills.

Nothing wrong with 36 hole wheels if you got the legs.

But my own handbuilts now are 32R/28F and the fave wheels are Nucleons which are a lot less F&R so take that for what it's worth.

You got the legs you can slay all on a lugged steel Pinarello or Grandis. you got no legs and you ain't goin' nowhere on a Mevici with Ada's or Lightweights with Veloflexes.

So there.

Bottom line: It really ain't about the bike or the number of spokes.

Grant McLean
11-21-2006, 06:54 PM
All real men ride 36 hole.

(unless they're on the road, training on their neutrons....)

g

saab2000
11-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Grant,

I am in your home country this evening. Ottawa. Nice. Saw a rider on an Isaac carbon while I was jogging past the French embassy this afternoon.

Got lectured about the Grey Cup and hockey this eve in the bar!

Too Tall
11-21-2006, 07:00 PM
I totally deserved that F.R. hehe.

Grants having a fire sale.

saab2000
11-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Looking forward to 400+ mile weeks with Mr. Tall and Mr. Znfndl, after which it won't matter if we have 36 hole wheels or 32 or 28 or 24 or even Lightweights, huh?

Just try to bring down the cost of rent there in DC!!!! Might have to do a studio or 'Efficiency'......

Grant McLean
11-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Grants having a fire sale.

just hoarding for the end of civilization...

g

Grant McLean
11-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Grant,

I am in your home country this evening. Ottawa. Nice. Saw a rider on an Isaac carbon while I was jogging past the French embassy this afternoon.

Got lectured about the Grey Cup and hockey this eve in the bar!

Ottawa is the capital?

Don't tell people from Toronto (Tee-dot)
they think it's the center of the universe :)

g

obtuse
11-21-2006, 07:24 PM
All real men ride 36 hole.

(unless they're on the road, training on their neutrons....)

g

what was the name of that japanese guy who was on mapei for about ten minutes? i remember seeing him rolling on araya track rims on the road built to d/a hubs tied and soldered 36 spoke....he spoke no english, no french and no dutch....rode with him for 20km or so.....we couldn't talk.

obtuse

saab2000
11-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Ottawa is the capital?

Don't tell people from Toronto (Tee-dot)
they think it's the center of the universe :)

g

I go there too. I avoid political discussions with Canadians, even though we would probably agree on more than we would disagree on. During my years in Switzerland I got into a HUGE argument with a woman from Canada who became so irate and anti-American that she lost all objectivity. The irony was that she completely stopped recognizing that we were sort of on the same team because she hated the US and everything about the US so badly. She was from Winnipeg and when I said that I had spent quite a bit of time in a neighbor to the sough (Minnesota) she got all up in arms about that. In the end I just had to walk away.

But I don't hold it agaaaainst all Canadians!!! ;) I actually like it here when I visit!

saab2000
11-21-2006, 07:26 PM
.rode with him for 20km or so.....we couldn't talk.

obtuse

I rode with Museeuw for about 20 KM once too after the prologue of the Tour de Suisse (he was competing, I was gawking).

We couldn't talk either!!! :D

bostondrunk
11-21-2006, 07:30 PM
But I don't hold it agaaaainst all Canadians!!! ;) I actually like it here when I visit!

and we won't blame you for g. bush.... :D

saab2000
11-21-2006, 07:38 PM
and we won't blame you for g. bush.... :D

Good! 'Cuz I knew he was gonnna be trouble back around the 11th of September of 2001, sometime that evening. But that's a whole 'nuther ball o' wax and not worth getting the forum shut down over!!!

I like everyone 'cept dumb people and they exist everywhere, so there are no politics here!

Too Tall
11-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Geeze don't pick on Canadians...they gave us Letterman. Thanks a bunch.

Big Dan
11-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Canada.................. :cool:

chrisroph
11-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Joni Mitchell and Neil Young.

big shanty
11-23-2006, 10:53 AM
I commute 5 days/week on 36 hole high-flange Phil fixed hub wheelset built with 15/16 DT spokes and 27" Taiwanese "Jalco" rims. 3+ years and I haven't had to touch them. They don't feel dead to me, plus 8 more spokes of bling!

Ti Designs
11-23-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm sorry, 36 spoke wheels don't even role - haven't since the late 70's. You need something with carbon rims and no more than 18 spokes. I hear LW makes a nice modest priced wheelset for commuting, training or just bopping around town...

Archibald
11-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Don't let these posers dissuade you. :banana:

I've still have a set of 36/40 spoke lightweights that don't slow me down a bit. 36 spoke wheels are always a sign of greatness, either in mass or ability!

fiamme red
04-12-2007, 12:06 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/probikes/?id=ballan_wilier07

"The team mostly uses these three-cross wheels in training," Biron added as we looked at Ballan's wheels, which use Campagnolo Record hubs laced to tubular box-section rims. At 1.9 metres tall (6' 2"), Ballan needs a little extra strength and support when he rides, and the Italian rider runs 36 spokes up front as a result.

michael white
04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
if you go to Italy you'll be passed by at least one old geezer on a Tommasini with nonaero brakes and 36 spoke box section rims and that's a fact.

me, I use them on two different bikes. I lace them differently than other wheels, like with 15 gauge spokes front and nondrive rear, then 14/15 driveside. That's just an example, I do variations of that idea. They aren't dead, they are strong and sweet.

stevep
04-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Kiddies,

I had my Swiss Itca with 36 hole wheels F&R and never felt a difference. 'Cept I NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER had to true those mofos. But of course they were nearly symmetrical 'cuz they were made with Nuovo Record hubs.

I feel dead as a door nail nowadays 'cuz I ride about 75 miles a week :( and have to pay bills.

Nothing wrong with 36 hole wheels if you got the legs.

But my own handbuilts now are 32R/28F and the fave wheels are Nucleons which are a lot less F&R so take that for what it's worth.

You got the legs you can slay all on a lugged steel Pinarello or Grandis. you got no legs and you ain't goin' nowhere on a Mevici with Ada's or Lightweights with Veloflexes.

So there.

Bottom line: It really ain't about the bike or the number of spokes.

saab,
with an attitude like this you will be flying a dc-3,
you fly w/ better shiite. i read it in a catalog.
84% less effort with 32 hole hubs.
an extra 244 watts with 28 holes.
33 mph effortless with cooler shiite than you have.
trust me.
go buy something new man.
move on.