PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Decals

Jmaxwel8
01-23-2019, 08:01 PM
I am working with the painter to touch up my serotta magenta to orange fade. I wanted to get opinions on the decals. The original would have been a decal with a yellow outline. I kind of wanted to do something slightly different so I thought about trying the white outline. I like both really so wanted to get others opinions. Thanks

OtayBW
01-23-2019, 08:04 PM
I like it. More contrast and pop to my eye.

vqdriver
01-23-2019, 08:07 PM
the white outline looks cool. have you tried black outline?

only question with decals is the color match. i'm assuming that's just for illustrative purposes and the decals would be clear over the painted tubes and under clearcoat?

Jmaxwel8
01-23-2019, 08:22 PM
For reference. Here are the originals

happycampyer
01-23-2019, 08:29 PM
There's something over-the-top '90's about the tree-frog green with yellow outline set against a neon pink background. Here's a page from the 1992 catalogue:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-5mtNrLx/0/0bbdcf56/L/i-5mtNrLx-L.jpg

What's interesting to me is how the green appears to be more yellowish with the yellow outline—I'm pretty sure the green is the same in both examples.

The white outline works, as would black. One thing to consider is how it will look against the orange. Here, I really like the yellow:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-9dGktXK/0/2a42a9fb/L/i-9dGktXK-L.jpg

In that area, I think a black outline would look better than white.

Jad
01-23-2019, 08:35 PM
Between white outlines and yellow, I like the yellow. It works well with that fade and adds a little zing.

oliver1850
01-23-2019, 08:59 PM
Between white outlines and yellow, I like the yellow. It works well with that fade and adds a little zing.

Yes, the neon pink and orange alone is kind of blah, needs a bit of zing. :banana:

I would stick with the yellow. How much to make me a pair of nhx decals for my top tube?

Tony T
01-23-2019, 09:14 PM
White :cool:

dustyrider
01-23-2019, 09:28 PM
I like the white. Think it should be yellow cause 90s. But I wonder what the opposite fade color would like as an outline. So pink outline where the paint is orange and orange outline where it’s pink?:confused:

mhespenheide
01-23-2019, 09:30 PM
Everyone has their own opinion, but the tree-frog green of the lettering kills the overall neon-pink-to-orange fade for me. I'd love to see one of those bike with white letters edged by a black stroke.

If you think it's over-the-top 90's fabulous, more power to you.

weaponsgrade
01-23-2019, 09:31 PM
Yellow - The white is a weak attempt to walk-back the loudness. I say embrace it.

David Tollefson
01-24-2019, 08:13 AM
How about trying a silver outline?

wkeller79
01-24-2019, 09:38 AM
Yellow!

Seramount
01-24-2019, 09:41 AM
yellow.

Monsieur Toast
01-24-2019, 12:10 PM
Another vote for yellow.

Signed,
Black lettering with gold outline

Brian Smith
01-25-2019, 10:39 AM
The answer to your question might relate strongly to the purpose of what you're doing to the bike. It looks somewhat like you're restoring it. If so - yellow, obviously, as that was original. Are you also going to reassemble it with restoration quality components? That would make sense.

Possibly you're looking to improve it. Other things may then overcome originality in importance. The white would give you easy options to make the whole build look more cohesive with white tape/saddle and/or cable housing. Some very shiny unblemished period appropriate Campag with a white Flite, white Cinelli on Cinelli bar/stem and a Campag post? Hot. More classic than original. Nobody's going to lament that the decal outline color present on the frame might have been less common in original production than yellow.

Are you trying to personalize it by repainting and having the decal choice? Then don't ask us...just do anything you like, it's there to make you happy not to make you popular. Maybe white with black outline, especially if you're going to assemble it with contemporary black gear. Still would work aesthetically well with white tape/saddle.

Jmaxwel8
01-25-2019, 05:53 PM
Thanks for everyone’s input. The purist in me won and I decided to go yellow. I bought the bike because it reminded me of the 90s and growing up. So it just made sense to leave it original.

I bought the bike on eBay and after contacting the dealer whose sticker had faded into the paint I found out the original owners name and it’s history. I like knowing stuff like that and it made me just want to keep the paint original.

The owner of the bike shop sold it to his best friend who has since passed away. He remembered the bike well because it was the only one his shop sold and it happened to be to his friend. I guess I’m 92 or 93 there wasn’t a Hugh demand for this color.

Just a cool story overall. The owner of the shop was really helpful and sent me a deca from his shop to put back on the bike. I want to be able to remember the story so I think that’s a nice touch

Brian Smith
01-26-2019, 12:01 PM
Thanks for everyone’s input. The purist in me won and I decided to go yellow. I bought the bike because it reminded me of the 90s and growing up. So it just made sense to leave it original.

I bought the bike on eBay and after contacting the dealer whose sticker had faded into the paint I found out the original owners name and it’s history. I like knowing stuff like that and it made me just want to keep the paint original.

The owner of the bike shop sold it to his best friend who has since passed away. He remembered the bike well because it was the only one his shop sold and it happened to be to his friend. I guess I’m 92 or 93 there wasn’t a Hugh demand for this color.

Just a cool story overall. The owner of the shop was really helpful and sent me a deca from his shop to put back on the bike. I want to be able to remember the story so I think that’s a nice touch

Sounds like you know exactly what you're doing and why you're doing it. The decal decision does support the story well. Very nice!