PDA

View Full Version : XC Skiing

MassBiker
11-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Ok, most agree that running sucks but how about XC Skiing for winter, easy on the knees, feet etc!

Skate skiing is probably out because you need the right tracks to do it and they are limited around Boston (Weston is too far away). It also seems too anaerobic for just maintaining winter fitness.

Can you do Classic XC Skiing anywhere there is open terrain and enough snow (golf courses, bike path etc)?

:beer:

Bittersweet
11-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes. I train classic style on a golf course and running trails that I can ski to from my house. With a golf course you need very little snow. Usually the only time I see formal tracks is in my annual 50k marathon, the rest of the time I set my own by skiing around on various loops.

I love it and you can build a huge aerobic base that carries into the cycling season. Highest measured VOmax is from an xc skier if I remember.

dauwhe
11-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Ok, most agree that running sucks but how about XC Skiing for winter, easy on the knees, feet etc!

Skate skiing is probably out because you need the right tracks to do it and they are limited around Boston (Weston is too far away). It also seems too anaerobic for just maintaining winter fitness.

Can you do Classic XC Skiing anywhere there is open terrain and enough snow (golf courses, bike path etc)?

:beer:

I ski anywhere I can... sometimes in the cemetery behind my old house; on occasion I've just skied down the street if there's snow! They groom the trails at the country club/golf course here in the winter, and skiing is the one thing I'm most willing to drive for. Can't wait to do Bolton-Trapp again!

Dave

zap
11-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Yes, but groomed trails through the forest is nicer.

This is one sport I loved and did religiously when I lived in Canada. I did this event http://www.csm-mcs.com/index2.html three years in row. It's one of those sporting events that you do and upon completion, swear you'll never do it again. But you go back year after year because it's an awesome sport and the scenery is fantastic.

CNY rider
11-21-2006, 12:14 PM
I ski anywhere I can... sometimes in the cemetery behind my old house; on occasion I've just skied down the street if there's snow! They groom the trails at the country club/golf course here in the winter, and skiing is the one thing I'm most willing to drive for. Can't wait to do Bolton-Trapp again!

Dave

That is one of the most awesome ski trips I've ever done! If you like that one you have got to try skiing Avalanche Pass in the Adirondack High Peaks.

And to answer the OP: Other than commuting on and off, I hang up the bikes for winter. The roads are too dangerous here. I ski and snowshoe and skate/play hockey and I seem to stay in pretty good shape. Not quite as good as the peak of cycling season, but not too shabby either.

Bittersweet
11-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Always nicer to have groomed trails but I value convenience and you certainly can get a workout just slogging it out.

Wow - 160k! Good effort! A dream of mine is to do the Vasaloppet in SWE or Birkebeiner rennet in NOR with the 3.5kg pack.