PDA

View Full Version : best generation of campy brakes?

AngryScientist
01-22-2019, 08:13 PM
i am about to build a bike that will not be matchy matchy, so...

from a performance standpoint (not aesthetics, not weight) - if you had to pick ANY generation or group level of campagnolo brakes, which would you choose?

my initial inclination would be these, but open to thoughts.....

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/b/b/used-campagnolo-record-10-speed-black-titanium-brakes-nice-f4b75a70b1807c545eda14388421c614.jpg

jtakeda
01-22-2019, 08:35 PM
To be honest im not sure I've used a modern campagnolo brake that I can 100% say is better than any other modern campagnolo brake.

To put it squarely if I was blind folded I would not be able to tell you which brake im riding. Whether thats a SR skeleton brake or a centaur brake.

I would choose based on what you think looks best and fits your clearance needs.

R3awak3n
01-22-2019, 08:43 PM
I am with you, I do not notice different btw the ones you pictured and skeleton so I would pick the ones you think look better. Personally I am a fan of skeleton so that is what I would pick.

Also, only dual pivot in my life so that are to me the best campy brakes... skeleton, dual pivot. The new potenzas even fit shimano pads which is also a plus to me because my other brake sets are either shimano or EE brakes which take shimano pads.

So my pick is new Potenza....

They cost $60. Dual pivot. Skeleton. Shimano pads. BOOM. Ok, they are a bit heavy compared to EEs but not that heavy compared to SR $300 brakes.

thwart
01-22-2019, 08:57 PM
You've pretty much got the pinnacle in that pic, IMO.

Single pivot rear for better modulation (although certainly more of a hassle to center). Campy's engineers decided to forfeit a bit of absolute braking power to get better control.

The subsequent model Skeletons are beautiful, but difficult to clean and only minimally lighter. And don't brake any better.

And of course... black. ;)

Lewis Moon
01-22-2019, 08:59 PM
I switched from skellies back to 10sp Records after riding a set of 10sp Chorus brakes that 'Old Potatoe sold me for my Chicane. Rode them side by side and the 10sp are noticeably stiffer.

R3awak3n
01-22-2019, 09:28 PM
You've pretty much got the pinnacle in that pic, IMO.

Single pivot rear for better modulation (although certainly more of a hassle to center). Campy's engineers decided to forfeit a bit of absolute braking power to get better control.

The subsequent model Skeletons are beautiful, but difficult to clean and only minimally lighter. And don't brake any better.

And of course... black. ;)

I agree with the cleaning part. They are substantially lighter.

As far as single vs dual, I much prefer dual. More power, much easier to center... no need of a tool to center so when the brake gets uncentered, which in a single pivot happens a lot (at least to me), you don't need to have a tool. I don't think modulation is any better either. You save a tiny bit of weight.

FlashUNC
01-22-2019, 10:25 PM
Depends on how much tire clearance you need. Pre skeleton if you're running 23s or 25s. Skeleton and later gen if you're looking for 28s.

I would say if you're looking beyond Campy-made, the Mavic SSCs are really hard to beat.

osbk67
01-23-2019, 12:02 AM
Chorus dual pivot with rim-specific blue pads on Shamal Mille wheels is the best rim brake combination I've used. That said I haven't tried all combinations and don't ride those rims in the rain by choice.

oldpotatoe
01-23-2019, 06:31 AM
Very Best anti lock brake made and ohhhh so pretty..

5 pinot, last gen..dreamy..but gotta set them up right.

NOT entirely kidding...on my Merckx, work great.

saab2000
01-23-2019, 06:56 AM
I had the first Record dual pivot brakes from the 1990s. They were the best I used. Very stiff calipers which allow for great modulation. They weren’t weight weenie brakes at all and I kind of think subsequent evolutionary versions of Record brakes gave up braking performance in search of lightweight bragging rights.

That is my $.02 and I’m sticking to it. They were equal to the best brakes I’ve ever used.

fa63
01-23-2019, 06:59 AM
The Centaur brakes I have on my Quiring never cease to amaze me with their modulation and power. They almost feel like hydraulic discs at times to be honest.

merckx
01-23-2019, 07:03 AM
I had the first Record dual pivot brakes from the 1990s. They were the best I used. Very stiff calipers which allow for great modulation. They weren’t weight weenie brakes at all and I kind of think subsequent evolutionary versions of Record brakes gave up braking performance in search of lightweight bragging rights.

That is my $.02 and I’m sticking to it. They were equal to the best brakes I’ve ever used.

I agree with this 100%. I still have a pair.

El Chaba
01-23-2019, 07:09 AM

Add another vote for the original Record Dual Pivots.

Mzilliox
01-23-2019, 08:07 AM
I think they all work better than needed, Id go with new records or potenzas. the potenzas i seem to recal having more clearances...

old fat man
01-23-2019, 09:10 AM
All my Campy 10 and 11 speed bikes run Shimano 6800 calipers. Work well, great clearance, inexpensive, plenty of pad choices, and so far, no one has stopped me for having Shimano brakes with a Campy drivetrain.

campy man
01-23-2019, 09:45 AM
+1 on these ... I'm way past counting grams on cycling stuff :)

i am about to build a bike that will not be matchy matchy, so...

from a performance standpoint (not aesthetics, not weight) - if you had to pick ANY generation or group level of campagnolo brakes, which would you choose?

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/b/b/used-campagnolo-record-10-speed-black-titanium-brakes-nice-f4b75a70b1807c545eda14388421c614.jpg

choke
01-23-2019, 12:11 PM

NOT entirely kidding...on my Merckx, work great.I have to agree though make mine the Croce d'Aune version because they offer a lot more clearance. I have more bikes with Deltas than any other brake.

http://cycle.ciocctoo.com/losa2.jpg

ntb1001
01-23-2019, 05:10 PM
Record or Super Record Skelton Dual Pivot.

The best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantino
01-23-2019, 05:22 PM
The top four of what I have

1) 11-speed group Super Record skeleton dual pivot
2) 10-speed group Record dual/single
3) 11-speed group Chorus skeleton dual pivot
4) 10-speed group Centaur dual/single

raisinberry777
01-23-2019, 05:33 PM
I am with you, I do not notice different btw the ones you pictured and skeleton so I would pick the ones you think look better. Personally I am a fan of skeleton so that is what I would pick.

Also, only dual pivot in my life so that are to me the best campy brakes... skeleton, dual pivot. The new potenzas even fit shimano pads which is also a plus to me because my other brake sets are either shimano or EE brakes which take shimano pads.

So my pick is new Potenza....

They cost $60. Dual pivot. Skeleton. Shimano pads. BOOM. Ok, they are a bit heavy compared to EEs but not that heavy compared to SR $300 brakes.

The new Potenza brakes are absolutely outstanding - work fantastically in all conditions, quiet, long lasting, use the Shimano standard for pads which are much easier to find replacements for. Not much more I could ask for.

tylercheung
01-23-2019, 07:12 PM
All my Campy 10 and 11 speed bikes run Shimano 6800 calipers. Work well, great clearance, inexpensive, plenty of pad choices, and so far, no one has stopped me for having Shimano brakes with a Campy drivetrain.

those 6800's are seriously unsung heroes lol

thirdgenbird
01-23-2019, 07:40 PM

Agreed.

These are attractive, effective, and reasonably priced. The hardware is all top notch titanium, aluminum, and stainless so they don’t rust like cheaper stuff. I was also able to easily run 30mm cross tires in them despite the pads being only being about mid-way down the slot.

I have a black and a silver pair tucked away just in case.

19wisconsin64
01-23-2019, 08:08 PM
Campagnolo Record - Cobalto brake calipers and levers, from the 1980's. They don't work as well as modern brakesets, but they sure do look great on the bike!

dookie
01-23-2019, 08:47 PM

NOT entirely kidding...on my Merckx, work great.

So...not at all what you asked about, but 5-pivot Deltas! Boat anchors, and so geeky...but they really can work well. I use Kool-Stop salmon pads.

As for best performing Campy brake, can I say Mavic SSC? The ones with the leaf-spring?

osbk67
01-23-2019, 10:34 PM
Here's a not-entirely unrelated question the collective wisdom here may be able to solve...

I have a set of Cobalto calipers I want to run with Shamal Mille wheels, which "require" a specific blue pad. I have the pads in both Campagnolo and Shimano pattern, but of course neither will fit the old Cobalto holders.

So I need a holder which will take the pads but also work with the narrow slots in Cobalto caliper arms. Newer holders upon which the Allen nut sleeves over the threaded bolt from the holder are too wide for the slots.

Best recommendation?

I can come back with a picture but if you have solved the problem you won't need one. Many thanks...

thirdgenbird
01-23-2019, 11:01 PM
Some of the aftermarket shimano-style holders have very narrow hardware. I used them on a set of vintage brakes not designed for modern holders. They weren’t Campagnolo brakes, but probably similar in size.

choke
01-23-2019, 11:34 PM
Thirdgenbird has the solution. I've used modern Shimano style holders on vintage calipers -Campy, Zeus, Universal - and they work fine.

oldpotatoe
01-24-2019, 06:55 AM
Here's a not-entirely unrelated question the collective wisdom here may be able to solve...

I have a set of Cobalto calipers I want to run with Shamal Mille wheels, which "require" a specific blue pad. I have the pads in both Campagnolo and Shimano pattern, but of course neither will fit the old Cobalto holders.

So I need a holder which will take the pads but also work with the narrow slots in Cobalto caliper arms. Newer holders upon which the Allen nut sleeves over the threaded bolt from the holder are too wide for the slots.

Best recommendation?

I can come back with a picture but if you have solved the problem you won't need one. Many thanks...

Have you tried a modern Campagnolo brake block holder?

osbk67
01-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Have you tried a modern Campagnolo brake block holder?

Thanks oldpotato, you've got me doubting myself now. Just rechecked - new Campagnolo holders will not fit, as both the bolt on the holder and the Torx attachment nut have to fit within the caliper arm slot. With the original holders only the bolt on the holder is within the caliper arm slot, the attachment hex nut sits outside it. I'm reluctant to file open the slot, in case I want to restore them to original again later. Photographs to follow...

thirdgenbird
01-24-2019, 09:16 PM
Thanks oldpotato, you've got me doubting myself now. Just rechecked - new Campagnolo holders will not fit, as both the bolt on the holder and the Torx attachment nut have to fit within the caliper arm slot. With the original holders only the bolt on the holder is within the caliper arm slot, the attachment hex nut sits outside it. I'm reluctant to file open the slot, in case I want to restore them to original again later. Photographs to follow...

Again, shimano should work. The nut and bolt are a smaller diameter and should fit. I’ve done it twice.

choke
01-24-2019, 10:11 PM
Again, shimano should work. The nut and bolt are a smaller diameter and should fit. I’ve done it twice.Bingo.

In the pic, Super Record calipers with Shimano style holders. These are BBB brand IIRC but I've also used Yokozuna and another brand.....maybe Clark's.

http://cycle.ciocctoo.com/cino8.jpg

OperaLover
01-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Record 10 speed in SILVER! Otherwise, Suntour Superbe Pro last generation with the hidden springs. Light, beautiful finish, stiff with awesome modulation.