PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear it for 'old guys'..Tafi thread

oldpotatoe
01-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Doesn't look like it's gonna happen..Surprised some younger guys comment..are they worried?

https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/news/riders-shoot-down-andrea-tafis-roubaix-plan_482950

OtayBW
01-22-2019, 08:54 AM
Doesn't look like it's gonna happen..Surprised some younger guys comment..are they worried?

https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/news/riders-shoot-down-andrea-tafis-roubaix-plan_482950
Oh boy. If he's old, I'm dead!

MattTuck
01-22-2019, 09:04 AM
“He could join the early escape with some luck and ride on camera,” added Bakelants, “but he certainly cannot participate to win.”

That is true of 90% of the riders on the start line.

Gianni Moscon is the only Italian to finish in the Top 20 in the last 5 years of Paris Roubaix. That Tafi could be the best Italian at Roubaix says more about the state of Italian cycling than it does about Tafi.

Then again.... the EPO. Could he ride without some number of months on the biological passport testing protocol?

RonW87
01-22-2019, 09:16 AM
“Andrea is also someone from my generation, we all know what happened there,” former Mapei teammate Johan Museeuw told Sporza.

'Nuff said.

GregL
01-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Could he ride without some number of months on the biological passport testing protocol?
I believe that he would have to be under the biological passport program for six months prior to competing at the elite level. As a fellow "masters" racer, I understand Tafi's desire to compete. I can't understand his desire to compete at the elite level. There's really no upside. It's extremely unlikely that he would be able to make the podium, or even a top 10 or top 20 placing. The best he could realistically hope for is to finish within the time cut. If he wants to compete, there are lots of fondos and cyclo sportif events. Aging is tough. Aging with grace is even tougher...

Greg

Jaybee
01-22-2019, 09:28 AM
Bio passport aside, why would any team use a spot for his ego project when they could develop some 23 year old who will happily ferry bottles and give up his wheel when the time comes?

speedevil
01-22-2019, 09:32 AM
I recall reading that he registered for the whereabouts program and the biological passport testing in advance of the six month window.

For what that's worth, he seems to be trying to do this properly.

Whether he will wind up riding PR is a different question.

MattTuck
01-22-2019, 10:10 AM
Bio passport aside, why would any team use a spot for his ego project when they could develop some 23 year old who will happily ferry bottles and give up his wheel when the time comes?

Well, there are a bunch of continental teams that don't really have a shot at winning. If Tafi could bring some eyeballs to their sponsor, that might be considered "money well spent." This is an entertainment business, and the point is to get your jerseys seen on TV and mentioned, so the sponsor gets a return on their investment. Maybe you put it in terms of "old pro passing the torch to younger riders", or "Roubaix veteran gives the secrets of the cobbles to a new generation"... hopefully, you can do that without implying that the secret he is passing is a brown paper bag.

Sure, there are teams like Hagen Berman Axeon that are really committed to developing riders. But many continental teams are just trying to survive and this could help bring in sponsor dollars.

Jaybee
01-22-2019, 10:14 AM
Well, there are a bunch of continental teams that don't really have a shot at winning. If Tafi could bring some eyeballs to their sponsor, that might be considered "money well spent." This is an entertainment business, and the point is to get your jerseys seen on TV and mentioned, so the sponsor gets a return on their investment. Maybe you put it in terms of "old pro passing the torch to younger riders", or "Roubaix veteran gives the secrets of the cobbles to a new generation"... hopefully, you can do that without implying that the secret he is passing is a brown paper bag.

Sure, there are teams like Hagen Berman Axeon that are really committed to developing riders. But many continental teams are just trying to survive and this could help bring in sponsor dollars.

This is a good point. Were he to ride, he'd almost certainly be on TV for a few minutes, which is more than most Continental teams can hope for.

fignon's barber
01-22-2019, 11:11 AM
I loved Tafi as a racer and would love to see him race this PR. To me, it would add another aspect to the race. The problem with the current bunch accepting this lies in the fact that they make their living spewing the "clean era of cycling" narrative while Tafi represents the "heavy fuel era".

Elefantino
01-22-2019, 11:39 AM
Oh boy. If he's old, I'm dead!
Reminds me of this t-shirt

efixler
01-22-2019, 11:43 AM
If I were Tafi, I would stay quiet at home in my impressive estate in Italy.”

Ice. Cold.

I hope he makes it!

FlashUNC
01-22-2019, 11:49 AM
He should just ride the sportive on Saturday.

This whole plan is so wingnut its really baffling.

Heisenberg
01-22-2019, 11:50 AM

Pro Conti. They're not as hard up as the Conti programs signing the likes of Davide.

I don't think it's going to happen. It's an expensive line item on a PC budget, and it's a liability. PR-wise, it sends an awful message.

Tafi needs to pack it in and be productive if he wants to stick around the sport.

mtechnica
01-22-2019, 12:31 PM
I think we all want to see this happen just for the entertainment value :banana: also why hasn’t he offered to compensate the team for his salary if he’s so loaded?

Pearsom
01-22-2019, 12:51 PM
Everything I've read says he has the miles in his legs... BUT do we know what his power numbers look like?

FWIW, I'd like to see it happen... and I think the right sponsor, willing to take the risk, could see big ROI. But I agree with many here that it seems unlikely

MattTuck
01-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Everything I've read says he has the miles in his legs... BUT do we know what his power numbers look like?

FWIW, I'd like to see it happen... and I think the right sponsor, willing to take the risk, could see big ROI. But I agree with many here that it seems unlikely

I have to imagine teams have a pretty good sense of what it takes to be competitive in the race. So if he was serious and had the numbers, he should post them to prove this is more than a publicity stunt.

FlashUNC
01-22-2019, 01:27 PM
I think we all want to see this happen just for the entertainment value :banana: also why hasn’t he offered to compensate the team for his salary if he’s so loaded?

Why even seek the attention if you've got an Italian villa?

campy man
01-22-2019, 02:19 PM

+1 ... if Tafi has the fitness and can find a team willing to give him a shot than why not let him ride? I would much rather hear about his preparation and experience than stories about 90 yo & Cat 3 dopers.

As long as he's clean and rides a bike with no disks ... I'm good :banana:

54ny77
01-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Might as well add Hincapie in there as domestique, and Lance as team captain.

Team 4 Hour Old Guys p/b Eli Lilly, Merck, Pfizer and Tommy Bahama.

mtechnica
01-22-2019, 02:35 PM

Maybe the dude just wants to race his bike?

Heisenberg
01-22-2019, 04:26 PM
Maybe the dude just wants to race his bike?

Maybe the dude should go to a fondo. Eurofondos are already pro races at the front with plenty of shady pasts to go 'round.

We need to be culling folks of his generation from the ranks, not adding them.

FlashUNC
01-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Maybe the dude should go to a fondo. Eurofondos are already pro races at the front with plenty of shady pasts to go 'round.

We need to be culling folks of his generation from the ranks, not adding them.

1000%. And I count myself as a Tafi fan. But time to move on.

AngryScientist
01-22-2019, 04:33 PM

C’mon fellas. Pro cycling is just a big publicity event. Any angle scheme dream or gimmick that gets the sponsors more camera time or the commentators talking about your team is a good thing.

And I agree. I haven’t watched a pro tour with interest since LA
Launched his over the hill campaign. We all knew he couldn’t win; and most people hate him; but it’s interesting and entertaining to watch. Generally I think watching pro cycling is very dull.

Spoker
01-22-2019, 06:45 PM
Was it Nys that said he would be spit out the back in the first 2 hours?
45 kmh average means 60 kmh from the corners at times.

dbnm
01-22-2019, 06:52 PM
As someone who just turned 50 (yesterday), I hope he finds a team and does well. If he still has the mental stamina, he might have a chance.

dancinkozmo
01-22-2019, 07:06 PM
Tafi at his first team meeting...

https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb16787051/p4pb16787051.jpg

Heisenberg
01-22-2019, 07:15 PM

He would. Those kinds of anaerobic efforts are difficult to repeat for 4-7hrs when you're north of 45.

Doubt he'd last at Redlands, even.

tsarpepe
01-22-2019, 09:12 PM

Gets old fast.

DarkStar
01-23-2019, 05:12 PM
Faster than 60kph!

93KgBike
01-23-2019, 05:17 PM
It would be interesting to watch. Hope he sorts it out.

charliedid
01-23-2019, 06:12 PM
Might as well add Hincapie in there as domestique, and Lance as team captain.

Team 4 Hour Old Guys p/b Eli Lilly, Merck, Pfizer and Tommy Bahama.

:p

Can't agree more!

LOL

classtimesailer
01-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Wasn't he the last one on a steel Colnago? Someone should "go fund me" to pay his salary so he can ride a steel bike in PR.