PDA

View Full Version : OT: Shut up, kid, you're not hungry. You're insecure.

Tom
11-21-2006, 09:49 AM
The federal government has decided to drop the word "hunger" from its vocabulary, according to a new report released by the USDA. The reason? USDA sociologist Mark Nord, the author of the report, claims that the term "hungry" is "not a scientifically accurate term for the specific phenomenon being measured in the food security survey. We don't have a measure of that condition."

The USDA will now use the term "very low food security" to describe people who used to be considered "food insecure with hunger." Statistically speaking, hunger will no longer exist in America.

The release of the report, however, follows five straight years of increases in the number of Americans unable to afford the food they need.

catulle
11-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Newspeak...?

Ahneida Ride
11-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Newspeak...?

My thoughts precisely.

The War department was changed the Defence department.

Fat Robert
11-21-2006, 10:02 AM
politics and the mother effin english language

somewhere, there's a shameless, well-fed wonk who needs to be slapped around

Skrawny
11-21-2006, 10:39 AM
At least that's one thing I'm not insecure about!
-s

davyt
11-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Food insecurity? I thought that described turkeys before Thanksgiving...

davids
11-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Reminds me of a story, which may relate:

My Network Administrator is a refugee from Pol Pot's Cambodia. He's seen and experienced horrors beyond my comprehension, and emerged with a nearly miraculous ability to see the good in this world. To put it another way, he's got way too much perspective on the day-to-day problems of the wealthy West.

...anyways, one day my Assistant Director, who's been waiting to leave for lunch with this guy, says to him, "Hurry up! I'm starving!" He calmly replied, "No, John, you are just hungry."

I guess John will now have to settle for insecure. Orwell was a visionary, unfortunately...

BumbleBeeDave
11-21-2006, 11:22 AM
. . . then I hereby declare that I will never again "bonk." Effective immediately, I will simply enter a state of "very low energy security" when riding for too long with too little food/drink.

This should GUARANTEE that I can win the Tour! :rolleyes:

bBD

djg
11-21-2006, 11:34 AM
. . . then I hereby declare that I will never again "bonk." Effective immediately, I will simply enter a state of "very low energy security" when riding for too long with too little food/drink.

bBD

Which should henceforth be known as a "Code Yellow and Black," if the board members over at homeland security can help out.