PDA

View Full Version : Bike parts and the Kondo method?

belopsky
01-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Has anyone applied it to their bike part or bikes stash?

echelon_john
01-21-2019, 03:40 PM
My first thought is that our friend Clean39T is seriously committed to finding what sparks joy! :banana::banana::banana:

jtakeda
01-21-2019, 03:52 PM
I’m having a hard time folding my frames in thirds

MattTuck
01-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Good idea for your general living space and wardrobe, etc.

But if you have hobbies that extend beyond philately, you need a junk room/garage/basement/barn, etc. for your hoard of equipment.

nickl
01-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Kondo makes sense to me. I have enough new 9 speed Campy parts to build another complete bike that I don’t need. Kept them as spares but moved on to other groups.

David Tollefson
01-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Never have watched the show. I have a visceral aversion to that kind of thing. I get the whole "minimalism" thing, not hoarding, etc. I've been in a slow purge myself, mostly just watching the "WTB" threads and such.

My ex one time had some one come into the house to help "purge" the stuff (not bike stuff) when I was at work one day. When I came home there were several things in the bin to which I had some strong sentimental. Things that had belonged to my grandparents. I retrieved them, and declared that there would never be anyone from outside making those determinations again.

Clean39T
01-21-2019, 05:33 PM
I’m having a hard time folding my frames in thirdsPost of the day [emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mhespenheide
01-21-2019, 06:11 PM
I prefer the quote by William Morris; “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”

I have multiple boxes of bike parts out in the garage that I know to be useful...

AngryScientist
01-21-2019, 06:17 PM
I prefer the quote by William Morris; “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”

oof, this philosophy might put me OUT!

quickfeet
01-21-2019, 06:20 PM
-

JAGI410
01-21-2019, 06:46 PM
I’m having a hard time folding my frames in thirds

No Brompton?https://smlycdn.akamaized.net/data/product2/2/58810c0eefe72cb7d58c82b5143b15d6d689ec07_l.jpg

unterhausen
01-21-2019, 07:10 PM
I was slowly getting rid of my vintage parts until the ebay silliness got to me. Going to start up again, I really want to get rid of anything I don't see using.

charliedid
01-21-2019, 07:16 PM
No Brompton?https://smlycdn.akamaized.net/data/product2/2/58810c0eefe72cb7d58c82b5143b15d6d689ec07_l.jpg

Beat me to it. :p

Clean39T
01-21-2019, 07:21 PM
My first thought is that our friend Clean39T is seriously committed to finding what sparks joy! :banana::banana::banana:

Remember, it's not about austerity, it's about being sure that you care for everything in your possession, and that every possession "sparks joy"... And when something no longer does, you say thank-you and good-bye - you don't hold onto things just because they once meant something to you, or because you spent a certain amount of money on them.

So yeah, I'm pretty committed to the Kondo ways - I just didn't have that language when developing my own way of being in the world and relating to "things" that come and go in my life.

All that said, I do need to get a little quicker on the get-rid-of trigger -- I have some bins of stuff that have been hanging around way too long.. And that's not even counting the giant bag of perfectly good kit that I don't have a desire to wear anymore. Coming soon to a classifieds section near you...

Clean39T
01-21-2019, 07:24 PM
oof, this philosophy might put me OUT!

Nah, you must also remember the safe wisdom of George Castanza: "It's not a lie if you believe it".

If our better-halves have been living by what you quoted, they must also have taken George's dictum to heart years ago...

pdmtong
01-21-2019, 07:33 PM
contrary to what might assume in the thread about California property taxes, the small size of our place actually does a great job of limiting excess clutter and massive hoarding. yes, I have pile of stuff that could be cleaned out, but its not as if there are 25 years of sports illustrated in a box in my office.

the main thing to clean out is paperwork...things saved for taxes or those finger paintings my daughter did at age 4. we dont need ten of those - just one will do. the other massive clutter is non-digital photos and videos.

now, as for bike stuff, I've done a lot to shrink the excess of clothing and was at one point a ridiculous saddle hoarde (although it just creeped back up by one)

Paceline? It's a place where a member has a saddle clamp and then thinks "hey, I can build a bike out of this"

dieonthishill
01-21-2019, 07:42 PM
Never have watched the show. I have a visceral aversion to that kind of thing. I get the whole "minimalism" thing, not hoarding, etc. I've been in a slow purge myself, mostly just watching the "WTB" threads and such.

My ex one time had some one come into the house to help "purge" the stuff (not bike stuff) when I was at work one day. When I came home there were several things in the bin to which I had some strong sentimental. Things that had belonged to my grandparents. I retrieved them, and declared that there would never be anyone from outside making those determinations again.

The Kondo method is not about "minimalism" but about keeping what is important/useful ("Sparks Joy" is the phrase she uses). She actually reiterates to people on the show numerous times that it is not about getting rid of things.

Following her method of taking all your clothes out of the closet and putting them on the bed, then going through them one by one, really opens your eyes to how much stuff we all accumulate over the years. That combined with her folding method, I went from 2 dressers of clothes down to one.

unterhausen
01-21-2019, 08:20 PM
I really want to get rid of the spare parts in my tool chests. Too cold out in the garage right now, no sparks of joy.

The uncomfortable thing about the Kondo show is that it's clear a lot of the relationships aren't that great. And the woman feels to blame for how messy the house is. I kinda wonder if they descend on the place and make sure that nobody cleans up ahead of the camera crews. I particularly wondered about the couple with the sink full of dirty dishes. No way I would allow that to happen nowadays.

Clean39T
01-21-2019, 08:34 PM
The uncomfortable thing about the Kondo show is that it's clear a lot of the relationships aren't that great. And the woman feels to blame for how messy the house is. I kinda wonder if they descend on the place and make sure that nobody cleans up ahead of the camera crews. I particularly wondered about the couple with the sink full of dirty dishes. No way I would allow that to happen nowadays.

Better to uncover that stuff and deal with it though than let it fester into a divorce court situation down the road...or just into bitter unhappy relationships...

I'm actually extremely impressed at how real the show is - they aren't coming in and doing an "extreme makeover" that's just there to sell stuff from home goods sponsors (like 99% of the HGTV shows, Kweer Eye, etc.) - it's just real people, warts and all, trying to improve their lives a bit. It's refreshing and normalizing.

And it's also inspired Clean's house to get a bit more..eh..clean...

slowpoke
01-21-2019, 11:18 PM
The Kondo method is not about "minimalism" but about keeping what is important/useful ("Sparks Joy" is the phrase she uses). She actually reiterates to people on the show numerous times that it is not about getting rid of things.

Following her method of taking all your clothes out of the closet and putting them on the bed, then going through them one by one, really opens your eyes to how much stuff we all accumulate over the years. That combined with her folding method, I went from 2 dressers of clothes down to one.

Agree 100%. I've heard extreme minimalists (usually men in the naïveté of their 20s) talk about owning one pair of pants and few pairs of underwear or something silly. Marie Kondo is not like that. She's not asking you to get rid of non-essential sentimental items, but to just take a long hard look at the pile of stuff you've accumulated and let it go.

w.r.t bikeparts and things, generally if it's under 50 bucks, I'll just donate or toss the item. Everyone's price point will be different, but I think there's something to be said about freeing up one's time instead of penny pitching over making an extra $10-20 on a sale*. Fortunately, San Francisco has a great bike co-op where you can donate your unwanted bike parts.

(* I also say this knowing full-well I'm fortunate to be doing economically decent at this moment in my life. Throw a few kids in the mix, or a layoff, and I probably will be thinking of money in terms of diaper units, or Top Ramen.)

verticaldoug
01-22-2019, 04:16 AM
Remember, it's not about austerity, it's about being sure that you care for everything in your possession, and that every possession "sparks joy"... And when something no longer does, you say thank-you and good-bye - you don't hold onto things just because they once meant something to you, or because you spent a certain amount of money on them.

So yeah, I'm pretty committed to the Kondo ways - I just didn't have that language when developing my own way of being in the world and relating to "things" that come and go in my life.

All that said, I do need to get a little quicker on the get-rid-of trigger -- I have some bins of stuff that have been hanging around way too long.. And that's not even counting the giant bag of perfectly good kit that I don't have a desire to wear anymore. Coming soon to a classifieds section near you...

I tend to think the Kondo method is a load of crock. The Japanese use of space comes out of necessity. Average home size is 1300 sq ft, and this is skewed because of older country homes. Average residence in Tokyo is 680 sq ft.

I think if you walked into the average Japanese home, you'd be shocked how much stuff is crammed in the place. As far as the other things she claims as Kondo method, the average Japanese is going to look at it and think Atarimae- "obvious' , ' to be expected'

weisan
01-22-2019, 04:32 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGmHShp_0-FjygRRR-u3kgG-o5r7HIQnNBdAnxt_B9M-Gifkk8
http://alicehui.com/bike/garage/IMG_1236.jpg

unterhausen
01-22-2019, 05:58 AM
If Marie Kondo saw my garage, she would squeal with glee, "I love mess"

shinomaster
01-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Uggg, I collect pottery, used to collect action figures, then bike parts wheels etc. If I ever have to move I'm screwed, so I'm currently trying to downsize.

William
01-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Three weeks ago I would have had no idea what you are talking about. Now when my wife wants me to get rid of something I tell her not to be a Spark-Joy killer.:no:

Kidding aside I also went through a bunch of my clothes in the closet piling it up and realizing I had a bunch of stuff I didn't really need. Thank you and on its way. I also freed up a bunch of space in my dresser as well. I think it's just a method for helping one realize what they have and what they don't need or use.

The show can be revealing in that the families have other issues going on, but just about every family has stuff going on at some level.

W.

Clean39T
01-22-2019, 10:24 AM
I tend to think the Kondo method is a load of crock. The Japanese use of space comes out of necessity. Average home size is 1300 sq ft, and this is skewed because of older country homes. Average residence in Tokyo is 680 sq ft.

I think if you walked into the average Japanese home, you'd be shocked how much stuff is crammed in the place. As far as the other things she claims as Kondo method, the average Japanese is going to look at it and think Atarimae- "obvious' , ' to be expected'

I don't really care how accurate the genesis of all of it is - I think it's a good thing for folks to be more intentional about their purchases and what they live with on a daily basis. The sheer mountains of clothes it seems most have is cray-cray. I'm under no delusion that all Japanese apartments are minimalist wonderlands.. It would be interesting to see an episode of her doing her thing over there though.

Clean39T
01-22-2019, 10:24 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGmHShp_0-FjygRRR-u3kgG-o5r7HIQnNBdAnxt_B9M-Gifkk8
http://alicehui.com/bike/garage/IMG_1236.jpg

I see a lot of joy in the room my friend...

Clean39T
01-22-2019, 10:27 AM
... just about every family has stuff going on at some level.

W.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/Ilya_Efimovich_Repin_%281844-1930%29_-_Portrait_of_Leo_Tolstoy_%281887%29.jpg/220px-Ilya_Efimovich_Repin_%281844-1930%29_-_Portrait_of_Leo_Tolstoy_%281887%29.jpg

MattTuck
01-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Alternatively, you could pursue the Shaker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakers) ideals of simplicity and, "a place for everything, and everything in its place."

Kondo seems to just be a 2019 rehashing of the Shaker beliefs... except for the celibacy and worship aspects.

William
01-22-2019, 10:33 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/6wP6uIS5r5E88/giphy.gif

"Sometimes a :banana: is just a :banana: ."

W.

verticaldoug
01-22-2019, 11:24 AM
I don't really care how accurate the genesis of all of it is - I think it's a good thing for folks to be more intentional about their purchases and what they live with on a daily basis. The sheer mountains of clothes it seems most have is cray-cray. I'm under no delusion that all Japanese apartments are minimalist wonderlands.. It would be interesting to see an episode of her doing her thing over there though.

It doesn't really play in Japan. Mention Marie Kondo to some Japanese and if they don't say 'Who?', they probably roll their eyes. At least my wife and her friends do.

It is a bit like that movie 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi' which was a big con job for the non-japanese too.

Kondo's version of Shinto and Kami may seem cute, (she is just playing the role of spiritual miko for the west, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miko ). It's like a ritual for cleaning.

MattTuck
01-23-2019, 07:53 PM
Getting rid of some old socks and t-shirts. What is a reasonable size for a pile of rags? :banana::no::help::help:

Clean39T
01-23-2019, 08:10 PM
Getting rid of some old socks and t-shirts. What is a reasonable size for a pile of rags? :banana::no::help::help:

Turns out the elastic band out of used boxers is great for cleaning between cogs...

pasadena
01-23-2019, 09:11 PM
The Swedes have Swedish death cleaning
and many cultures have variations on how material possessions weigh you down

She is just introducing a life skill that many Americans do not have.
Why do people **** on positive, productive people.

unterhausen
01-23-2019, 09:43 PM
many cultures have variations on how material possessions weigh you down
As I like to say, if you are what you own, I am a big pile of worthless garbage

William
01-24-2019, 06:39 AM
Sure, cultures are different. But if someone can help others simplify and organize their lives, I say it's all good.:banana:

William