PDA

View Full Version : Close to home..another bad one:

Bruce H.
05-03-2004, 08:34 AM
From today's "Doylestown Intelligencer":
BUCKINGHAM (Pa) - "A Southampton man is in critical condition after being hit by a car Saturday. Matthew Menichelli , 43, was hit from behind by a Honda Accord driven by Keith Menacker, 83, of Yardley, police said. The accident occurred on Forest Grove Road, near Smith road.
Menichelli was aken to St. Mary's Medical Center in Middletown and is under observation in the intensive care unit, police said.
No charges have been filed, and the accident is still under investigation."

This is a very dark rural winding road. Yesterday's paper mentioned the accident happened after 9pm. Not aware whether the rider had lights or was wearing a helmet, although the fact he is alive at the speeds these drivers go seems to indicate he was.

BumbleBeeDave
05-03-2004, 11:31 AM
. . . of making any assumptions like that unless you personally know the rider.

I think the applicable problem here is more likely elderly drivers that incautious cyclists.

BBDave

Bruce H.
05-03-2004, 02:43 PM
I am not faulting the rider, just saying what the conditions were like up here.
At 83, I expect the driver couldn't see in front of his nose.
Bruce H.

PS. Unfortunately we have too many cars hitting cyclists up here. I previously wrote about a guy in a pickup aiming for me a year ago Good Friday because it took too long for me to make a left and he got ticked off. I know he aimed because he went a foot off the road to the right as he passed me and clipped my left bar end and his mirror hit my left elbow. then he took off squealing his tires while I tried successfully to remain upright as I sailed into the mud and back onto the road. Never thought about getting his plate #'s.

oracle
05-03-2004, 02:45 PM
i would be wary of making any assumptions like that unless you personally know the driver.

oracle

Bruce H.
05-03-2004, 02:50 PM
I give up and take the fifth!!!!!!!
Bruce H.