PDA

View Full Version : How tough and committed are you?

Cloozoe
01-21-2019, 07:46 AM
I routinely ride through the winter in temperatures down to the low/mid 20's with winds up to 15 mph. I see very few other riders and it makes me feel insufferably smug.

Right now it's 7* with winds @ 19 mph. Anybody ride in weather like that? Smugness being such an unattractive trait, I figure I can rid myself of it should a few of youse guys tell me you're out on days like this and worse; provided I believe you, of course.

One hour later...

Based on feedback and brickbats, I've rewritten the foregoing; please ignore it and substitute the following:

Geez, sure is cold and windy out there today- anybody ride on days like this?

Oh, and so as not to offend the winter-trainer riders, change title to read "How stupid and reckless are you?"

oldpotatoe
01-21-2019, 07:53 AM
Right now it's 7* with winds @ 19 mph. Anybody ride in weather like that?

Nope..have fun being smug..:p

Ididabike..looks like fun...:eek:

fignon's barber
01-21-2019, 07:56 AM
I routinely ride through the winter in temperatures down to the low/mid 20's with winds up to 15 mph. I see very few other riders and it makes me feel insufferably smug.

Right now it's 7* with winds @ 19 mph. Anybody ride in weather like that? Smugness being such an unattractive trait, I figure I can rid myself of it should a few of youse guys tell me you're out on days like this and worse; provided I believe you, of course.

Why? What are you trying to accomplish by this?

boywander
01-21-2019, 07:58 AM
I used to ride through Minnesota winters with temperatures well below 0 Fahrenheit and wind speed 20+ mph. The farthest thing on my mind is smugness. Only because all I had was a bicycle for transportation.

jet sanchez
01-21-2019, 07:59 AM
I used to routinely ride all year round in Toronto.

I remember one night in particular it was -30 with the wind chill and I was coming home from work at around midnight and my brother in law passed me and paused to see if it was actually me (he knew my work schedule and route) and as he slowed down to see my face I turned to see who it was and his jaw dropped and he shook his head in that dude-you-are-crazy kind of way.

Lol, giggling about it now, it was pretty funny.

But now with young kids my time constraints are pretty nuts so I can only do it if I have a day off and need a ride.

jamesdak
01-21-2019, 08:02 AM
I used to ride out there in no matter what conditions. I think the coldest was a 30 mile ride on a -7 day.

But after suffering a separated AC joint in a low speed crash last Feb I'm sticking to rollers when the weather is bad.

How I typically look at the end of a winter ride.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/162200883.jpg

Now I'll still hike in the cold. Worse this year so far was New Years day when I spent about 3 hours in the woods. It was -5 with a windchill approaching -20. Just had on my 30 year old Shearling jacket with a tee shirt underneath. It's not hard toughing out the cold when you have the proper gear.

Oh and I never feel smug about it. I just prefer being outside and don't see cold as a reason not to go. Too easy to dress for it.

timto
01-21-2019, 08:03 AM
I've lived in two cold climates and commuted year round. Calgary and now Ottawa in Canada.

I ride through the year and at this time of the year the Rideau Canal between my home and workplace is maintained for skating. I'm into my second week skating part way to work and love it.

As for the biking ... I'm not far, ride on pathways that are cleared of snow and along a water way that is a nice view. It's more pleasant than driving. I also think the slippery conditions keep it fun and lively. I have good clothes that keep me warm.

See you out there!

R3awak3n
01-21-2019, 08:04 AM
This winter I have gone lower than I normally go. Usually under 30 I use the trainer. But I have got out there in low 20s, lowest was 18.

Today is 6, feels like -13 and I about jumped on a citi bike (they even had the electric one) but nope, its insanely cold, the wind makes it even hard to breath.

Tickdoc
01-21-2019, 08:04 AM
Nope. I'm pretty fair weather and wimpy in the cold. I suffer excercise induced asthma in the winter which severely detracts from my riding performance in the winter. I will ride down to 30 degrees, but nothing lower than that.

Matthew
01-21-2019, 08:06 AM
Not very tough. Minus 9 this morning. No effing way I'm going out in that. Plus there's icy spots. Why risk injury if I don't have to? Never mind the fact the roads are painted white with salt. I'll suffer on the trainer in front of a TV sweating my butt off. I love Michigan but winter here can really suck. I expect to gain weight every off season and do. But it's warmer that way!

GregL
01-21-2019, 08:08 AM
I've raced both mountain and road bikes in sub-freezing temps. Notice the past tense. In both cases, ice could have brought me down rather painfully. Even if the temp is above freezing, slush on the roads can be sketchy. I watched a teammate endo and fly a good ten feet after a slush encounter. The saving grace was that she landed on her back, on the slush, cushioning the fall. She proved to be one tough customer, catching her breath and completing a 50 mile training ride.

A little older and hopefully wiser, I don't usually ride in below freezing temps anymore. My wife has been hinting that we "need" fat bikes, so this might change in the future...

Greg

Cloozoe
01-21-2019, 08:09 AM

By what? Riding in the winter? This post? Being curious about how cold it has to be before the Flahutes among you bail? By being smug (I'm not really)? By attempting to be funny?

I seem to have ruffled your feathers for some inexplicable reason. My apologies.

biker72
01-21-2019, 08:09 AM
I moved from Iowa to Texas in late 1961. The first few years I could go all winter in not much more than jeans, t shirt and maybe a light jacket.

Now 50+ years later I've turned into a cold weather wimp. Much below 45 degrees I either use the trainer inside or go for a long walk.

unterhausen
01-21-2019, 08:10 AM
I avoid riding when I think there might be ice. I had a bad crash a couple of years back when it was above freezing. It had rained, and we went down a back road that had a very thin layer of ice. I think the ground was cold because we had suffered through <20F weather for the previous week. My hip shoulder and head hit really hard. It doesn't seem worth it.

verticaldoug
01-21-2019, 08:10 AM
Arrowhead 135 in northern Minnesota is January 28th this year. It is timed for the historically coldest part of the year.

http://www.arrowheadultra.com/

You are only smug because it's not really cold.
My definition of cold is hoping for snow because it only snows if it warms up.

Right now, race day start temp is forecast -21 F.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/international-falls-mn/56649/daily-weather-forecast/333792?day=6

oldpotatoe
01-21-2019, 08:14 AM
I avoid riding when I think there might be ice. I had a bad crash a couple of years back when it was above freezing. It had rained, and we went down a back road that had a very thin layer of ice. I think the ground was cold because we had suffered through <20F weather for the previous week. My hip shoulder and head hit really hard. It doesn't seem worth it.

Mee too...getting too old to bounce off the ground..My limit is about 40 degrees..life's too short..not surgically joined to the bike..I'll do sumthin else.

FlashUNC
01-21-2019, 08:19 AM
Paceline: Come for the bike talk, stay for the odd self-aggrandizing posts.

I tend to think the guy who's staring at a garage wall for 2-3 hours on the trainer requires more mental toughness than going out in the cold.

rwsaunders
01-21-2019, 08:19 AM
The cold temps and the rain are never deal killers if I want to ride as I can overcome those issues with clothes and gear but the ice wins every time. Oh, and if I had a wreck on ice and broke a limb, my wife would break another for me.

SlowPokePete
01-21-2019, 08:20 AM
I ride year round here, almost 8,000 miles in 2018, accomplished my 100 mile weekly goal in all but one or two weeks.

I rode on Thanksgiving morning, it was only around 12 degrees F.

We just had this nasty snow and ice storm and now it is just above 0 degrees and windy. Tons of salt on the roads and plenty of ice anyway.

Despite having the day off and the sun shines bright I'm not likely to head out there today.

SPP

Gummee
01-21-2019, 08:20 AM
High today is 20deg F. The run (yeah, on foot!) starts after work, so it'll likely be less than that.

Yeah, I *could* run or ride inside, but why?! S'not what I signed up for when I started riding.

Coldest I can remember starting a ride was a night ride a few years ago that started at 19deg F and got colder from there. Dress appropriately and go for it!

Rules #5 and #9 apply. ...and... No such thing as bad weather, just inadequate gear

M

wkeller79
01-21-2019, 08:24 AM
This winter I have gone lower than I normally go. Usually under 30 I use the trainer. But I have got out there in low 20s, lowest was 18.

Today is 6, feels like -13 and I about jumped on a citi bike (they even had the electric one) but nope, its insanely cold, the wind makes it even hard to breath.

I feel ya.... when I got to Hells Kitchen this morning, on Citibike, it was 5 degrees with a windchill of -26, according to my phone. Luckily my commute is only 10 minutes or so.

nobuseri
01-21-2019, 08:26 AM
I used to go out in colder weather here in the DC area. In the teen temps, all bundled up. Not anymore. Rather be on my trainer and toughen up by being mentally strong over the boredom.

When it gets too cold, it’s not enjoyable for me. Group or not.

Maybe it because I am originally from Cali. Spoiled that way, I guess.

bigbill
01-21-2019, 08:36 AM
I've lived a lot of different places.

In Hawaii I was a daily commuter because we were living with one car. No matter what it looked like in the am when I raised the garage door, I was riding. There were several commutes in tropical storms including a couple where I had to shoulder my bike and wade through flood waters over the Pearl Harbor bike path. At least it was warm.

In the PNW, I typically wouldn't commute if the temps were below freezing if there had been any rain. Cold and dry I would ride.

In Texas, there was a rail-trail behind my neighborhood, I would ride year round including single digits. The trees provided a good wind break.

NW Arizona, we have actual winters and I live at 4200 feet. The wind is a factor as well, in the summers we ride before dawn to beat the heat and the 20mph winds that will start building around 10am. I've got a KICKR and Zwift account for the bike in my living room.

Luwabra
01-21-2019, 08:45 AM
I got a fatbike this year and have been enjoying the schitt out of it. Rode Saturday at a high temp of 4°f I thought I was underdressed- WRONG. I try to embrace the winter wether it’s hiking or biking w the dogs. Dress correctly and it’s enjoyable. you’ll Find you have your favorite spots to yourself.

Cloozoe
01-21-2019, 08:54 AM
Paceline: Come for the bike talk, stay for the odd self-aggrandizing posts.

I think describing oneself as "insufferably smug" would be better characterized as self-deprecating, but I'm slowly learning that every time I attempt a light, facetious post around here I attract my share of smack-downs; so far two on this seemingly innocuous thread alone. Way down my list of things to worry about but who needs it? Guess I'll stick to the classifieds and leave it at that.

Some cool replies and pictures, though.

ergott
01-21-2019, 08:54 AM
I tend to think the guy who's staring at a garage wall for 2-3 hours on the trainer requires more mental toughness than going out in the cold.

Seriously. I can't put out the kind of efforts I need to in outdoor weather like this. 2-3hrs of endurance/tempo/threshold or worse yet doing HIIT is pretty much impossible outside. The minute you go to recovery pace after sweating out an interval it's downright dangerous.

I'll put around on the fatbike now that I've got the bug, but that's just for fun in those temps.

Veloo
01-21-2019, 08:58 AM
Not very tough in my twilight years but see many others in Toronto that are.
I do feel guilty sometimes when driving and seeing folks commuting on their bikes. No reason besides laziness most of the time. With the price and hassle of parking downtown, it really makes more sense to ride if you don't need to haul any cargo with you.

ergott
01-21-2019, 08:59 AM
I think describing oneself as "insufferably smug" would be better characterized as self-deprecating, but I'm slowly learning that every time I attempt a light, facetious post around here I attract my share of smack-downs; so far two on this seemingly innocuous thread alone. Way down my list of things to worry about but who needs it? Guess I'll stick to the classifieds and leave it at that.

Maybe have a close friend of yours read your original post and tell you what they think. The subject matter is fun to talk about, but the writing style "provided I believe you, of course" is pretty egotistical, not smug.

Stay for the discourse here, but don't expect to attract positive thoughts with that kind of writing style.

zap
01-21-2019, 09:00 AM
I've ridden in the teens (real temp) but now, mid 30's and sunny is my minimum if I want fresh air.

Winter months for me is all about increasing leg strength and working on higher cadence so riding outdoors is not that important. I find it is easier to stay in zone 1 on a trainer.

When I grew up in Montreal my winter sport was xc skiing. The coldest I went out was around -30c (really easy to wax skis for those temps)......back then we really didn't talk about wind chill factor.

But as I moved further south (first to DC) I've gotten softer. Plus my sensitive left knee prefers warmer temps.

Mzilliox
01-21-2019, 09:02 AM

Accomplish? something has to be accomplished? im guessing an insatiable desire to be outdoors and on a bike? why do you ride?
My wife is actually tougher than me. We ride the 10 mile commute to the hospital in rain, cold, whatever, twice per week. My wife gets a kick out of being the only ones crazy enough to be out on the road. If you are one of those people who rides a bike to train for nothing all the time, you probably wouldnt enjoy going outside in these conditions, as you dont get to train well for nothing. But i dont ride bikes to pretend im always training and increasing FTP or whatever you guys are up to, im on the bike to be outdoors, to see sights, to feel freedom. blah blah ftp base something miles blah blah. go outside or dont.

weisan
01-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Rode year round when we lived in Austin Texas for 15 years with temp. range from mid-30s and up. Then moved to St Louis for four years - after the first winter and got some experience in the belt, routinely ride in the 20-30s. Went out one time when it was 16 or something like that - did not enjoy the ride at all, thought it was stupid, never did that again, stuck with 20-30s being the minimum threshold.
Came back to Texas after that, rode year round again. First two years after our return, I was riding in short sleeve and short and nothing else in the low 50s, felt really comfortable. After 2 years, back to a wimp like the californians, start covering myself up like a mummy whenever the temp dips below 70. Now, I am back to riding in shorts in the 50s - I won't say that I am super comfortable or I am not cold at that temp. but I would rather carry less layers on my body and ride harder to generate my heat than overheat or deal with the discomfort that comes with several layers on.

Cloozoe
01-21-2019, 09:05 AM
"provided I believe you, of course" is pretty egotistical, not smug.

Needed a smiley face, apparently. It was a joke.

Lanternrouge
01-21-2019, 09:08 AM
I say that being tough is for people who don't have other options. :D

Since living where I do, I generally won't even start a ride if the ground is wet. I don't "have" to ride in temperatures much below 30.When it's a really cold morning, I usually have the option to ride later in the day when it's about 30 degrees warmer. For me, cold is a lot easier to handle than wet.

In summary, you are probably tougher than I am if you are reading this thread, though not necessarily crazier.

2LeftCleats
01-21-2019, 09:09 AM
Used to go out when it was in the 20s, but now I seldom use the trainer when house temp is below 68*.

FlashUNC
01-21-2019, 09:11 AM

It's a textbook definition of a humblebrag and hardly self-deprecating.

wtex
01-21-2019, 09:13 AM
I'll ride down into the 20s here in the ABQ, though I'll often switch to the cross bike or MTB and ride the foothills or Bosque. The woods are great great for blocking the wind and ice isn't an issue. if there's snow or ice on the road or paved trails, I might take out the MTB or cross with fresh snow, but desist once it becomes ice.
If I've been out in real conditions - ice, snow, or rain-I'll come home singing my own version of Black Sabbath's Iron Man. It entertains my wife and dogs I guess.
FWIW, didn't the East Germans do 6+ hour rides on trainers while staring at concrete walls? Man, that is *hard.*

pobrien
01-21-2019, 09:15 AM
I stop riding when there is ice or snow on the shoulders of the roads I ride on to avoid crashing. I have often been quite happy to see ice form so I could pack it in for the winter (northern Alberta can be darn cold).

I do love a challenge but more common sense has arrived with 'maturity' !

I read the OP as tongue in cheek. This can be a tough crowd. It took me three years to post anything.

mt2u77
01-21-2019, 09:15 AM
A lot depends on how long you're exposed to the elements. I used to be a nearly full-time bike commuter in Wisconsin, mostly to prove I could do it. Not so much anymore. Kids and other time constraints have reduced my winter commuting to 1-2 days/wk, and I just pick the nicest days.

The truly extreme weather requires another level of gear and preparation to do safely. My 55 min. commute turns into 1:15 in 10F on studded tires, and studded tires = :mad: for ride quality. Getting dressed takes 5+ min. longer than normal too. Then there's the bike clean up. On top of the time, it's difficult to exert the kind of effort if would take to improve my fitness. I finally came to the conclusion that I'd rather drive to work on the awful days and spend 45 minutes doing structured training.

Mark McM
01-21-2019, 09:27 AM
I don't often ride my road bike at temperatures below freezing. In New England, we have a lot of freeze/thaw cycles, so when it is below freezing there is very often ice on the roads - especially in the shoulders and gutters that bikes are often forced to ride on. I'm not keen on the idea of sliding out on the ice - especially if it may cause me to slide out into traffic. There are studded road tires available, but tires with enough metal studs for traction on the ice also have a lot drag and vibration on pavement (not to mention poor pavement traction), so I avoid using them.

But that's not to say that I'm not outdoors and active in the winter. When there is enough snow, I'll be out cross country skiing. When there isn't enough snow for skiing, I'll be in the woods on my MTB. And besides which, changing up sports from season to season is a good way to keep mentally fresh, and avoid cycling from becoming stale.

charliedid
01-21-2019, 09:27 AM
I commuted off and on all year in Chicago for 30 years. I've lost interest at this point unless it's above freezing really. Snow and ice I just don't do it any longer. Too much work,traffic mess and stress. :-) Maybe that's just me getting older.

If I had a fat bike I'd go tool around in the woods here but unless I lived someplace magical I can't justify how much I'd probably use it.

If I lived in Colorado again I'd likely fat bike quite a bit.

Commuting in the city though. I'll be happy as a fair weather rider from here n out I think. As far as cycling for exercise? My limit is....not windy, above 45 and sunny!

Dave
01-21-2019, 09:53 AM
Riding a road bike in conditions where there may be ice on the road is just stupid. The entrance to my subdivision is shaded by large pines. It can get icy and stay that way for a long time. That makes it tough to even get out on a main road.

This year has been exceptionally dry in Colorado, so little chance of ice. I'll go out in the upper forties, but even then, selecting the right clothing is tricky. 47 degrees with no sun is a lot different than the same temp on a bright sunny day. I have Bellwether cold front tights and several base layers that I can wear under a wind breaking jacket. I take routes where speeds of 40+ are common so I need the wind protection. I have several different gloves to choose from too, but cold hands or sweaty hands still occur.

I've managed to get in 170 miles this month, which shows just how warm and dry it's been this year.

NHAero
01-21-2019, 10:01 AM
I'm un-tough for sure (and definitely took the OP as being tongue-in-cheek). But I like to be outside so I try to select clothing that works. My '96 Klein MTB is the bike I rode to work today (2 mile commute, see un-tough reference above) and it lives with Freddies Revenge studded tires for just this type of weather. Yesterday it rained 2-1/2 inches with temps in the 50Fs and then in 2 hours dropped 30F. When I left the house this a.m. it was 4F. I wear boots and use flat pedals, ski gloves, balaclava with windproof cap over it, and ski goggles, and I wasn't cold at all. If I were going longer I'd wear windproof mitten shells and felt lined Sorels.

When it's slippery (and the dirt roads get really icy here from the freeze thaw) I try to stick to trails and dirt roads so I can worry less about cars. People don't use snow tires here.

We cancelled the weekly Sunday morning MTB ride though, 'cuz it was raining like hell here yesterday and that's way less fun than cold.

I am amazed by the people who ride and race at -20F. I hiked all winter in the NH White Mtns but -20F was too cold to start up the trail. We had a rough cut-off at -10F or so. Once we entered a little cabin on the shoulder of Mt Cabot on a really cold and windy day before getting to the top. The cabin was warmed a bit by the sun and we felt relief upon entering. The thermometer in there read -11F.

Mzilliox
01-21-2019, 10:15 AM

If you hadn't already noticed, the cycling crowd in general is pretty serious, except the cyclocross folks, they are weird and not serious. But roadies, man, they are one serious group of folks nearly incapable of laughing at how ridiculous they really are. (yeah yeah, shut up, im one of you, and we are ridiculous, embrace it).

John H.
01-21-2019, 10:27 AM
There was a time where I would never miss training- regardless of the weather.
Full fender bike- Right out into the storm for whatever was scheduled.

Maybe I felt like it was giving me an edge- But circa 2019, I think there are better ways.
I might be less hardcore- But if the weather is crap, I will get on my wahoo- do 2 hours or less and call it good.

Plenty of ways to ride, train, and/or have fun. The key is to find out what works best for you.

mcteague
01-21-2019, 10:48 AM
17 degrees and 30-40mph winds here, took a hike in the woods with my dog.

Tim

Kirk007
01-21-2019, 10:54 AM
I hate riding in the cold, and the wet, which is pretty much why I hate the Pacific NW this time of year, even though by any real standard it doesn't get cold and this year it hasn't been very wet either. Below 40 - maybe I'll ride if its sunny. 40 or below and rain, forget it. Below 50 and rain - sucks but maybe I'll ride

I drag my ass out to ride this year solely as a weight control measure or it I'm really going stir crazy.

BobC
01-21-2019, 11:02 AM
No doubt you can dress for colder weather, but the bigger yardstick for me is my ability to handle a mechanical at colder temps.

More of a safety issue

berserk87
01-21-2019, 11:19 AM
I love riding my bike. Getting outside and exercising is a must for me, and more for mental health reasons than physical health.

The coldest I've done is 0F with 17mph winds. That sucked. Went out with a friend who was also stupid and could not say "no", and did a road ride on MTB's. We were only out for about and hour and fifteen minutes. It was about 45 minutes too long. The last 45 minutes were really bad.

I rode the day before and it was 9F and do-able, so I figured that the difference between 9 and 0 isn't that much. Turns out, it is significant, and I won't do it again.

It was the only ride I've ever had where I went from being cold to having pain, and quickly. I don't wear a balaclava or gaiter and my neck felt like it had a straight razor against it. The other painful thing was my thumbs. I had a shell glove on with 2 liners. My thumbs felt like they were being crushed in a bench vise.

I learned that I don't have the gear to ride at 0F. It's not worth the money to get it, as we don't have that many days at 0. Bar mitts and a balaclava would be needed to make it work.

I've adapted to the cold for most normal conditions, between gradually accumulating the right clothing and just adaptation from getting used to it. I hate the cold, but I do genuinely love riding my bike.

My love does not include riding a stationary trainer. I absolutely don't like it. It's unpleasant to me. Some guys have to use the trainer due to consistent extreme weather or issues with daylight (i.e. can't get out to ride during the day due to work schedule). I'm not sure I could continue the sport if that was what I had to do. Thank goodness I've never been confronted by this issue.

I generally use the trainer for 5 or 6 indoor sessions per year. If I can get outside I make the effort to do it. The reason that I do some of these really cold rides is that I get stir crazy pretty quickly. We've had a week of crappy weather, with rain, sleet, snow, wind and now extreme cold.

It's starting to wear on me and I'm antsy and bored. I'm planning on getting out today. It's supposed to top out at 15F here. Some patchiness on the roads but mostly clear. I will be using studded tires on my MTB. If the roads are too iffy, we have a nice trail system here. Should be light foot traffic on it given the temps, so I won't have to worry about dodging pedestrians walking dogs on long leashes.

I don't get the toughness assertions, or accusations of self-aggrandizement. Folks are gonna do what they do. I don't care who rides in the cold and who rides on the trainer. Some don't mind the trainer and some have issues with keeping hands and feet warm. Smart trainers and different apps make it easier to be indoors. I can't justify the cost of a smart trainer right now, for the use I would get out of it. I hate the trainer but have a better tolerance for cold than some guys. It doesn't make anyone better or worse. It's a hobby.

The useful part if this discussion to me is the exchange of information about what works for folks and why, when the weather goes kaput.

berserk87
01-21-2019, 11:20 AM
No doubt you can dress for colder weather, but the bigger yardstick for me is my ability to handle a mechanical at colder temps.

More of a safety issue

Yeah. That's a big issue. It's a risk. On really cold days I try to stay within a tighter radius from home, and will do loops sometimes to make this happen.

Ti Designs
01-21-2019, 11:33 AM
4 decades ago we had a January 1st ride that wasn't to be missed - doesn't matter what the weather was. I loved that ride.

Since then I've had a few New England winters to really figure out how it's done. I coach the Harvard team, we get new riders in September, I need to have a race team by March. Riding in the winter isn't really optional... I also product test for a number of companies, which is my way of getting clothing that works. Riding this morning at 2F on ice covered roads with 20MPH wind gusts was nothing new to me. My bike is how I get to the classes I teach, my students learned last year not to bet against me riding. What I've found is (like everything else) there are a lot of so-called experts on winter riding, but not that much actual winter riding...

One of my most memorable rides happened in the absolute worst conditions. It was coldish (below 20F), snowing that light powder, windy as hell, and dark. A friend thought it would be a good night to try to ride across the Cambridge Res, so we got out there with our mountain bikes and studded tires and headed for the far gate. From there it was on ice, directly into a headwind. As the surface was ice, I'm pretty sure it was dead flat, at times I was using a 1:1 gear. Then came the wave, it looked like the kind of wave you could surf the curl, but it was made of snow and heading straight at us. We put our heads down and rode straight into it, then out the other side. Weirdest ride ever.

Jad
01-21-2019, 11:33 AM
I don't ride regularly in anything below like low 30s--usually by the time that would happen, I'm running for the winter and skiing. When it gets really cold, that satisfies my seasonal dose of self righteous smuggery. :)

Lionel
01-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Rides below -3C are just not worth it for me. It's hard to stay out more than 2h. It takes 20 min to get dressed, the risks on the road are multiplied by a lot, you can much more easily catch a cold, etc.... So below that it's MTB (which is much better when it's cold as you do not go as fast) or Zwift (recent convert).

AngryScientist
01-21-2019, 11:38 AM
haha - committed to what??

unless the commitment is specifically to suffering, there are better ways to do pretty much everything from structured training to fitness maintenance to having fun than riding in subzero temps.

if winter riding is your thing, by all means - have at it, but it doesnt make you better than anyone to do so:)

anything below 37 - no go for me. just not fun anymore, and i ride bikes for fun.

Clydesdale
01-21-2019, 11:47 AM
I generally ride all winter outside - somewhat less this year as I am playing with Zwift. Regularly face temps in the single digits and windchill. On the really cold days, about an hour is normal, but if temps hit double digits or the sun is out it will be longer. Almost all of it is on a fatbike or cross bike with stufdded tires, and my favorite routes usually involve frozen-lake riding along ice fishing/snowmobile trails.

If we don't have snow, the fatbike is way less fun and if we have a lot of snow I'll cross country ski instead some days. Feet are usually the deciding factor for me when it's colder than 10 degrees. The funny thing is a one hour ride in the snow on a fatbike might only be 5-10 miles depending on the conditions. Lots of power work trying to keep moving forward in the soft stuff.

Once you get the right clothing and a system that works, it's just a matter of getting out there and doing it. I'm a way better human being when I spend some time outside and it helps manage winter without so much stir-crazy.

berserk87
01-21-2019, 11:53 AM
I generally ride all winter outside - somewhat less this year as I am playing with Zwift. Regularly face temps in the single digits and windchill. On the really cold days, about an hour is normal, but if temps hit double digits or the sun is out it will be longer. Almost all of it is on a fatbike or cross bike with stufdded tires, and my favorite routes usually involve frozen-lake riding along ice fishing/snowmobile trails.

If we don't have snow, the fatbike is way less fun and if we have a lot of snow I'll cross country ski instead some days. Feet are usually the deciding factor for me when it's colder than 10 degrees. The funny thing is a one hour ride in the snow on a fatbike might only be 5-10 miles depending on the conditions. Lots of power work trying to keep moving forward in the soft stuff.

Once you get the right clothing and a system that works, it's just a matter of getting out there and doing it. I'm a way better human being when I spend some time outside and it helps manage winter without so much stir-crazy.

So there are 2 elements of a fat bike in cold temps that interest me:

1. They are supposedly better in snow.
2. It takes a lot of effort to keep it moving, so the speeds are not great.

The lack of speed probably helps take some edge off of the wind chill. Kind of like running I suppose.

Like a smart trainer, I can't justify the cost of a fat bike. We get snow here but not enough and not often enough to offset the added expense and garage space. I'd have to fall into a great deal in order to wind up with one.

I am curious about studded tires on the fat bikes - has anyone here tried this? I think they are stupid expensive, if I recall correctly.

cmg
01-21-2019, 12:05 PM
haha - committed to what??

unless the commitment is specifically to suffering, there are better ways to do pretty much everything from structured training to fitness maintenance to having fun than riding in subzero temps.

if winter riding is your thing, by all means - have at it, but it doesnt make you better than anyone to do so:)

anything below 37 - no go for me. just not fun anymore, and i ride bikes for fun.

:) so true. why suffer when you don't have to. in SA winter might last a month. you'll have 70 to 32 degree days in the same week. just wait a couple of days for it get better.

Jaybee
01-21-2019, 12:17 PM
I'll echo the comments above that if it's not fun, why do it? That said, there is a bit of perverse fun in day spent in hardman conditions where you finish with snotcicles and chapped lips. The line between fun and *** am I doing out here is pretty slim though. More fun if there is snow involved, and most of my winter activity is either fatbiking, XC skiing or downhill skiiing.

For those asking above, fat bike tires in general are stupid expensive and highly specific to snow conditions (i.e. the tires that work really well on 4" of fresh sugary powder are slow, dumb and draggy on even moderately groomed trails). Add studs and the cost can get really crazy for something that gets so little use. The only upshot is that you can easily get 4-5 good seasons out of a tire since the snow wears them so slowly. When your ripping drifty corners on a fresh stretch of twisty singletrack though, the cost is the last thing in your mind.

Luwabra
01-21-2019, 12:50 PM
So there are 2 elements of a fat bike in cold temps that interest me:

1. They are supposedly better in snow.
2. It takes a lot of effort to keep it moving, so the speeds are not great.

The lack of speed probably helps take some edge off of the wind chill. Kind of like running I suppose.

Like a smart trainer, I can't justify the cost of a fat bike. We get snow here but not enough and not often enough to offset the added expense and garage space. I'd have to fall into a great deal in order to wind up with one.

I am curious about studded tires on the fat bikes - has anyone here tried this? I think they are stupid expensive, if I recall correctly.

I am doing the studded tires shortly.. I live on a 1000+acre marsh that connects to 3700 acre lake. We get snow. Not historic amounts but it always happens. My dogs love to go and are for the most part waiting on me most of the time if the snow is 5”+. I’ve heard the studs improve grip immensely...so much so that another local rider rides on the lake w no snow present just glare ice!! Hoping he’s right bc they are stupid expensive yes.

PQJ
01-21-2019, 01:18 PM
24F and dry is my threshold. Below this, or risk of icy roads, and I'll swim, run or do yoga instead.

Elefantino
01-21-2019, 01:23 PM
It was 16º this morning. Even walking the dog was no fun. We both ran back in, her to her kibble and me to my coffee.

Rode in the mid-20s many times but now, forget it. The frozen-face thing is really hard on older skin.

merckxman
01-21-2019, 01:41 PM
It was so cold this morning, -1F, that my left in garage floor pump was not working, just wanted to pump tires to ride indoors.

Ralph
01-21-2019, 01:47 PM
Living in Central Florida....Don't ever ride if below about 45 degrees at 8 AM. So a couple days each year, skip a ride, and go ride the recumbent at gym.

No need to really.....just wait a day or so for 70's temps, or ride after lunch when it's much warmer. That's why I live here. And hot summers....just go out early and then hit the pool. Don't understand the suffering.

If my career put me where some of you describe.....believe I would find another way to simulate bike riding in winter.

Bostic
01-21-2019, 02:00 PM
Someone please make me feel like I should just toughen up.

My commute to work is 27 miles from West San Jose up to Redwood City/San Carlos area. With traffic in the Bay Area as bad as it is I leave home at 6am and it takes around 35-40 minutes to get to work. Leaving at 4pm it takes one hour minimum to 90 minutes or more to get home. The bad days can be two hours regardless of what freeways or shortcuts.

On bike it's 1hr 40min ride time plus 10 to 15 minutes worth of stop lights one way for those 27 miles. That's wearing an 8lb backpack and going absolute max effort trying my best to hold 19 and 20mph. In the warmer months getting on the road at 5:30am or 6am sure I'm up for that. Right now when it's 38 degrees and pitch dark for the first hour, even with toe warmers and bundled up I'm freezing. Riding at anything but max effort time trial mode is just not appealing as the time to and fro would be even longer than it already is.

JAGI410
01-21-2019, 02:35 PM
My lowest is -27F. That was commuting 2 miles to work. I've done regular longer rides at -10 or so. 5 to -5 is the sweet spot for my gear, so I don't mind riding in those temps at all if the winds are low. All fatbiking of course.

I have a much harder time riding in that 30-40 degree window, I just don't have good clothing options for long rides in those temps.

I had my longest indoor trainer ride ever yesterday at 1.5 hours. My goal was surviving that without coasting once. That took more determination than going out for a 1.5 hour fatbike ride in negative temps!

When I lived and commuted in Phoenix, my record was 116 degrees. I think that's just as difficult as below zero. Both have dire consequences if things go wrong!

mt2u77
01-21-2019, 02:41 PM

I studded the 27.5" Gnarwhals on my Farley this winter. The tires come with stud pockets, and the stud kits are $50/tire MSRP. The grip on glare ice is not quite as good as a high stud count 35mm-2" tire, IMO. That said, it is good enough, and an absolute blast on lake ice! Lake ice is usually not that smooth and you frequently encounter snow drifts and pressure cracks that make riding a skinny tire difficult and jarring. The fat tire is perfect for smoothing out the ride, blasting thru drifts, and going all out across an open expanse.

They are loud and annoying on pavement, which makes up a larger percentage of fat bike miles than anyone would like to admit. Inserting the studs was tedious, especially since every single pocket was filled with mud and gravel. I don't think I want to take them out, so I'm likely looking at a separate set of summer tires-- that's where it gets spendy.

Gummee
01-21-2019, 07:44 PM
My lowest is -27F. That was commuting 2 miles to work. I've done regular longer rides at -10 or so. 5 to -5 is the sweet spot for my gear, so I don't mind riding in those temps at all if the winds are low. All fatbiking of course.

I have a much harder time riding in that 30-40 degree window, I just don't have good clothing options for long rides in those temps.

I had my longest indoor trainer ride ever yesterday at 1.5 hours. My goal was surviving that without coasting once. That took more determination than going out for a 1.5 hour fatbike ride in negative temps!

When I lived and commuted in Phoenix, my record was 116 degrees. I think that's just as difficult as below zero. Both have dire consequences if things go wrong!
My buddies and I used to do 3+hr trainer rides a few times/week 'back when.'

It's not so bad when there's more than one of you.

I left those winters faster than when I went in and lost fitness riding outside.

Having said that, I'd still rather gear up and ride outside

M

isaacneff
01-21-2019, 07:47 PM
I rode to work this morning at at -12. But it's only a little over 2mi.
We also did 2hrs on the fat bikes yesterday, it was 5-10 degrees.
Riding a fat bike helps, they're so slow!

pdmtong
01-21-2019, 07:53 PM

My commute to work is 27 miles from West San Jose up to Redwood City/San Carlos area. With traffic in the Bay Area as bad as it is I leave home at 6am and it takes around 35-40 minutes to get to work. Leaving at 4pm it takes one hour minimum to 90 minutes or more to get home. The bad days can be two hours regardless of what freeways or shortcuts.

On bike it's 1hr 40min ride time plus 10 to 15 minutes worth of stop lights one way for those 27 miles. That's wearing an 8lb backpack and going absolute max effort trying my best to hold 19 and 20mph. In the warmer months getting on the road at 5:30am or 6am sure I'm up for that. Right now when it's 38 degrees and pitch dark for the first hour, even with toe warmers and bundled up I'm freezing. Riding at anything but max effort time trial mode is just not appealing as the time to and fro would be even longer than it already is.

Why not Caltrain?

That said, my bike-train-bike commute last year was nothing compared to yours and yet I begrudgingly did it because it was way better than riding from mid-pen to SF or worse, driving. The bike car is certainly a $ hit show. If that job had a better future I was seriously thinking electric scooter. or e-something.

bmeryman
01-21-2019, 08:02 PM
Rode my bike to and from work today. -5º and windy on the way in. I'll be skiing into work tomorrow; it'll be much easier.

berserk87
01-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Got out for a bit less than an hour today. It was 10F. It wasn't the most fun I've ever had on a bike, but I felt better afterward.

I work out of my home so getting outside for rides is a big deal to me. If not for that, I would be in the house all day and that gets old.

Studded tires on my 29'er. Even so, some of the roads had some pretty good ice and snow. On one road, I ended up turning back and finding a different route. The studs do help, but I try to mitigate a bit when the conditions get squirrely.

Some of you from the south look at folks up north and wonder how we do it. I wonder the same thing about folks in Canada, upper Michigan and such. It's worse for them but some of them enjoy going outside versus the trainer, and manage well. I suppose you play with the hand you are dealt. I'm not in a position to relocate for my hobby (yet). Hopefully when I retire?

Mattre
01-21-2019, 09:22 PM
I think it's all what you're used to. I've made an effort to get outside more this winter and temps I never would have ridden in before don't feel that bad. I still prefer the trainer if it's below freezing though.

peanutgallery
01-21-2019, 09:52 PM
You guys are dorks:) When it's this cold you're supposed to ski...and not touch a flagpole with your tongue

Got in some turns before work. Even though it was a holiday the resort was empty because it was way too cold. Heard they closed Jay Peak today. Snow was fast and icy here, good day for my trusty fire arrows. It was cold though

Plenty of time to ride in March

oldpotatoe
01-22-2019, 07:02 AM

Right now when it's 38 degrees and pitch dark for the first hour, even with toe warmers and bundled up I'm freezing. Riding at anything but max effort time trial mode is just not appealing as the time to and fro would be even longer than it already is.

If you don't ride when it's so cold you get a 'icecream headache/brain freeze' and worry about eating ****e around every corner, doesn't mean you aren't 'tough and committed'..maybe should BE committed but.....

GregL
01-22-2019, 07:59 AM
This thread reminds me of my windsurfing days in the late 80s and early 90s. Fun sport that has similarly "devoted" enthusiasts. Several fellow enthusiasts spent a lot of $$ on dry suits and accessories so that they could sail/surf on open water (e.g., Lake Ontario, Seneca Lake) year-round. When asked why I didn't join them, my response was that I'd rather spend the money on a plane ticket to Florida or the Caribbean to sail during the winter months...

Greg

efixler
01-22-2019, 08:15 AM
~5F farenheit this AM when heading out for the 8 mile commute.

Cold AF, but still nice to be outside and on the bike.

cash05458
01-22-2019, 08:33 AM
good for you man...I used to do this stuff...and then I turned 54 and figured 30 some odd years in the tough guy trenches was enough ...this morning we had minus 40 windchill btw...coffee and Kelly Ripa on the tv for me.

efixler
01-22-2019, 08:43 AM
I guess I have 3 more years, then ;)

Seramount
01-22-2019, 09:00 AM
living in central TX doesn't afford many opportunities to ride in 'brutal' conditions.

coldest temp I've ever ridden in here was a balmy 18F and dead calm. but, I considered that a 'badass' accomplishment.

went out this wkend when it was in the low 50s and winds were gusting to 33 mph...this also went in the BA category.

guess the point is one guy's 'hard-man' act is someone else's 'meh' ride...

weisan
01-22-2019, 09:14 AM
We all become impostors when Mr. Bad-Ass shows up on our page....

https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/si/dam/assets/13/05/10/130510124234-andy-hampsten-2-single-image-cut.jpg

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2013/05/10/andy-hampsten-1988-giro-ditalia

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/giro08/?id=/riders/2008/interviews/giro_hampsten08

fa63
01-22-2019, 09:23 AM
Hampsten was a pro; got paid to ride. There are amateurs/hobby riders out there who ride in those conditions :-)

Mzilliox
01-22-2019, 10:05 AM
early morning commute around 35 deg this morning to and from the hospital with my lady friend, lots of wet fog too. Im lucky to be alive in these conditions, haha. i even did a few sprints and some ftp work on the way home. hope i survive:eek:

fignon's barber
01-22-2019, 10:52 AM
By what? Riding in the winter? This post? Being curious about how cold it has to be before the Flahutes among you bail? By being smug (I'm not really)? By attempting to be funny?

I seem to have ruffled your feathers for some inexplicable reason. My apologies.

uuuhh…..it was actually a legitimate question. I assumed you were looking for feedback on what others thought about riding in colder temps. The logical question is "what do you want to get out of it" or accomplish. Seems like the only feathers ruffled are yours.

unterhausen
01-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Ignoring my previous response to this thread, I have been riding when it makes sense. Rode 100km on New Year's day. Then 200km with a bit of rain and massive headwinds the next weekend and then another 100km ride featuring mid-20's and headwinds. Now it would be silly with all the ice, I'm riding the trainer. It's not likely I'll do to many outside rides that aren't 100km or longer this year.

Cloozoe
01-22-2019, 12:57 PM
uuuhh…..it was actually a legitimate question. I assumed you were looking for feedback on what others thought about riding in colder temps. The logical question is "what do you want to get out of it" or accomplish. Seems like the only feathers ruffled are yours.

Oh, I see. I was "looking to accomplish" being amusing and starting a friendly, casual conversation with online friends. Clearly I failed miserably on both counts. In the unlikely event I ever start a new thread I'll make sure I have a practical, clear-cut agenda so as not to confuse you or waste your time.

My apologies to the great majority of respondents to this thread who seemingly are enjoying the chat. I know I should just ignore the cranks, but I find it really hard not to call out gratuitous and/or oblivious nastiness.

And most barbers are so pleasant!

Clean39T
01-22-2019, 01:12 PM
It was drizzling off and on yesterday, wet roads with sum breaks. I rode my trainer for an hour instead of a two-hour ride plus 30min cleanup...

I'm soft I guess.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ozz
01-22-2019, 01:18 PM
You guys are dorks:) When it's this cold you're supposed to ski...and not touch a flagpole with your tongue...

+1

Only time I've ever hit the pavement on the road was taking a corner that was in a shadow on a beautiful, sunny 25 degree day....ice was still on the road in the shadow.

Cycling is great and all.....but plenty of other stuff to do when the weather is nasty.

I am most impressed by the cycle commuters that do it every day, rain, shine, heat cold, and put in a full day of work. Then do it again on the way home.

Weekend warriors that bundle up for an "epic" ride and then talk about it after a hot shower, or sipping espresso in front of a café fireplace? Meh.....

:cool:

BTW - doing silly things for the sake of being silly can be dangerous: Bikini Hiker (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46955645)

Blue Jays
01-22-2019, 01:33 PM
If it has been cold and dry for a significant period of time, that is fine.
My crew is mindful of potential “hidden ice” in shadows or under trees.
We err on the side of caution if there is likelihood of ice on the roadways.

Joxster
01-22-2019, 02:23 PM

One hour later...

Based on feedback and brickbats, I've rewritten the foregoing; please ignore it and substitute the following:

Geez, sure is cold and windy out there today- anybody ride on days like this?

Oh, and so as not to offend the winter-trainer riders, change title to read "How stupid and reckless are you?"

I live in Scotland, that sounds like summer to me ;) ;) ;)

Cloozoe
01-22-2019, 02:42 PM

Ha! 😄

XXtwindad
01-22-2019, 02:52 PM

Summer of '06. Scottish Highlands. Hauntingly beautiful. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Don't much care for haggis, though :)

redir
01-22-2019, 03:03 PM
I used to have the icicle beard too but not any more. Honestly it woas one event that ended it for me. I think it was 2008 or 09 Cyclocross Nationals in Kansas City. It was 8deg F and I was woefully unprepared. But you can't exaclt wear a whole lot of clothing for a cross race either. My hands hurt so bad after that race and I remember having a cold itch all over my body that drove me mad. Ever since that one single day I cannot go out in the cold liek that anymore. My left hand fingers turn white and once I start to thaw upon coming inside and warming up I get this absolutely insane itch like bugs are crawling under my skin. I've actually read that there is something called cold allergy, actually being allergic to the cold, that has those symptoms.

Thank God for Zwift, that's all I can say :D

Mike Bryant
01-23-2019, 06:50 AM
I used to have the icicle beard too but not any more. Honestly it woas one event that ended it for me. I think it was 2008 or 09 Cyclocross Nationals in Kansas City. It was 8deg F and I was woefully unprepared. But you can't exaclt wear a whole lot of clothing for a cross race either. My hands hurt so bad after that race and I remember having a cold itch all over my body that drove me mad. Ever since that one single day I cannot go out in the cold liek that anymore. My left hand fingers turn white and once I start to thaw upon coming inside and warming up I get this absolutely insane itch like bugs are crawling under my skin. I've actually read that there is something called cold allergy, actually being allergic to the cold, that has those symptoms.

Thank God for Zwift, that's all I can say :D

Chilblains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45K10
01-23-2019, 07:05 AM
I didn't think your original post was too bad but I could how someone could take it the wrong way. Anyway, since I only MTB these days I will routinely ride in the teens and twenties. We haven't had much snow so the trails are actually pretty fast right now.

A couple of Saturdays ago it was like 7 so I went snowshoeing instead

redir
01-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Chilblains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Well I'll be darned. That's it to a tee.

93KgBike
01-23-2019, 05:45 PM
I have commuted through midwest winters, mid-atlantic winters, SF summers, a baker's dozen blizzards, a handful of hurricanes and two tornados.

But nothing has left me feeling more committed, or tougher, than getting the kids on their bikes and across town to school.

Car culture is a g!dd*mned vampire!

verticaldoug
01-28-2019, 08:22 AM
Time to belly up to the bar.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/01/27/arctic-blast-minnesota-arrowhead-135-preview

AT least it wasn't Friday when it his -37F (-38C). It's nice when it is so cold that Centigrade and Fahrenheit are almost equal.

berserk87
01-28-2019, 12:00 PM
Time to belly up to the bar.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/01/27/arctic-blast-minnesota-arrowhead-135-preview

AT least it wasn't Friday when it his -37F (-38C). It's nice when it is so cold that Centigrade and Fahrenheit are almost equal.

Those are some tough SOB's. Most of the rest of us are mere pansies.

Wayne77
01-28-2019, 09:43 PM
My biggest limiter to riding in sub-freezing temps is the resulting tightening of tendons in the knee area which inevitably makes my right knee with historical patellar tracking issues scream bloody murder. I still do it if I’m on a gravel bike or mountain bike...because I’m in that adventure mindset. Roadbike? Pass. I’ll do a few hours on Zwift & get an amazing workout with far better interval workouts...and maybe even run into virtual manifestations of my pals in the process.

Re cold-induced knee problems...I’m developing a system to keep it at bay. It’s pretty kludgy but works for me. Involves the use of KT tape to hold down those Hot hands hand warmers just above my kneecap. Keeps things nice and warm and flexi. Over the top go my knickers or tights.

Wayne77
01-28-2019, 09:50 PM
Im here on a business trip and holy crap it’s cold. I complain about the cold back home sometimes but I don’t know cold compared to this. On Wed it’s supposed to hit a 20 year historic low..something like -50 degree windchill. Im here until Thurs and if I see someone outside on a bike, I’d normally go bow down with the I’m not worthy schtick, but then I’d have to leave the hamster tubes...so I’ll stay in this little self contained store/business/eatery/hotel biosphere knowing that the only time I’ll have to go outside again is the 20 foot walk to get into the cab leaving for the airport. Yeah, I’m not so tough...

- I’ve noticed that when it’s this cold, the snow doesn’t really pack down. It’s too cold for the merger of frozen water molecules. It just gets shuffled around from place to place...like flour or powdered sugar...as if there was no liquid state..it’s just this fine white powder everywhere. Is it even possible for kids here to make snowmen or get into snowball fights when it’s like this?

kingpin75s
01-28-2019, 09:59 PM
Im here on a business trip and holy crap it’s cold. I complain about the cold back home sometimes but I don’t know cold compared to this. On Wed it’s supposed to hit a 20 year historic low..something like -50 degree windchill. Im here until Thurs and if I see someone outside on a bike, I’d normally go bow down with the I’m not worthy schtick, but then I’d have to leave the hamster tubes...so I’ll stay in this little self contained store/business/eatery/hotel biosphere knowing that the only time I’ll have to go outside again is the 20 foot walk to get into the cab leaving for the airport. Yeah, I’m not so tough...

Skipped the traffic and cold today and stayed home in front of the fire.

I used to ride in weather like today when I first started fat biking back in '10. There is no bad weather, just bad gear is the mantra for many here. I am still surprised though on how many bikers I still see on some of these days. For me, I am past those first years of all the time fat in the winter and generally take the toughest 3 week January stretch off annually now.

Let me know if you need any recommendations or want to borrow a fat and a light ;)

kingpin75s
01-28-2019, 10:01 PM
- I’ve noticed that when it’s this cold, the snow doesn’t really pack down. It’s too cold for the merger of frozen water molecules. It just gets shuffled around from place to place...like flour or powdered sugar...as if there was no liquid state..it’s just this fine white powder everywhere. Is it even possible for kids here to make snowmen or get into snowball fights when it’s like this?

Not really. As described. This is one of those unusual times where it does not warm up to snow. Very little moisture relative to the norm.

kingpin75s
01-28-2019, 10:07 PM
Speaking of cold around here.

Arrowhead 135 starts today.

Local news segment on it:

https://www.fox9.com/news/386181469-video

kppolich
01-28-2019, 10:08 PM
Those are some tough SOB's. Most of the rest of us are mere pansies.

This is the bar. Don't think anyone can top that.

verticaldoug
01-29-2019, 04:38 AM

You need to get out of town where it is dark (really dark at night). Being so cold, there is little water vapor in the air and you should get incredible night skies with the milky way. Only downside, there is still a partial moon. There is always an upside if you know were to look.