PDA

View Full Version : Just Different ATMO

Marco
11-21-2006, 05:32 AM
Provo (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/21/AR2006112100206.html)

Paris (www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/20/AR2006112001272.html)

mike p
11-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Welcome to Provo were life's good.

Mike

catulle
11-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Henry Miller knew a thing or two about the good life, atmo. We ought to name a street in Provo Henry Miller Street.

Serpico
11-21-2006, 03:42 PM
great book, great show--truly another world (no, I'm not at all condoning it)

book first, dvd second

davids
11-21-2006, 03:53 PM
I read the book. Have you heard the news (http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=Warren+Jeffs&btnG=Search+News) ?

Marco
11-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Is it true that Red Twizzlers are the official energy source in Provo (proper hechsher and all)? I have never been able to "fit in"; I only survive on these (www.redvines.com)

catulle
11-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Is it true that Red Twizzlers are the official energy source in Provo (proper hechsher and all)? I have never been able to "fit in"; I only survive on these (www.redvines.com)

Well, actually you lace Twizzlers with a little blue pill, atmo.

Serpico
11-22-2006, 08:47 AM
I read the book. Have you heard the news (http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=Warren+Jeffs&btnG=Search+News) ?

david, you gotta check out big love

great show :beer: I watched the whole series in two days

if you're familiar with alan ball (american beauty, six feet under) it's very similar (althought not done by him). My favorite genre of fiction--I call them "domestic" films, just everyday stuff, etc.

davids
11-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Serpico,

I saw one episode (I'm not an HBO subscriber...) and found it intriguing. But I wonder how different the reality is from the show's imagining of the 'lifestyle'.

Based on what Krakauer and others have written, and on the current procedings against Warren Jeffs, I find this practice way beyond creepy. It's anti-women, atmo - patriarchy gone totally mad and completely corrupt.

sg8357
11-22-2006, 11:08 AM
It's anti-women, atmo - patriarchy gone totally mad and completely corrupt.

In Saudi you can have up to four wives, Saudi is notable for the near total lack of divorce lawyers. With four wives at home is it a wonder that some of these guys spend all day at schul ?

Scott G.

vaxn8r
11-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Though many suspect practical reasons for LDS polygamy back in the mid 1800's (persecution leading to extermination and relocations, many more women than men in that early LDS society etc.) no one really knows other than it was "ordained from God", as church members believe it was.

Mormon fundamentalists have very little in common with the LDS church of the 20th century and beyond. They do have a fundamentalist type mentality and, if pushed, I have no doubt it would be WACO revisited on a much larger scale.

As for out of wed-lock births...the numbers in the US are now 40% of births. Not too far behind France. I personally find it selfish to bring a child into a world of temporary relationships. Obviously a marriage may end in divorce at any time but at least there's a semblance of effort towards stability. Kids do better with stability. There's a plethora of data to support that.

Having kids is easy. Being a parent is hard.

tomwd3
11-22-2006, 11:20 AM
david, you gotta check out big love

great show :beer: I watched the whole series in two days

if you're familiar with alan ball (american beauty, six feet under) it's very similar (althought not done by him). My favorite genre of fiction--I call them "domestic" films, just everyday stuff, etc.

I watched several of the episodes in the first season. A very interesting take on a subject that many people are sensitive about.
My overwhelming feeling was, holy cow this guy (Bill Paxton) has got an incredible amount of responsibility on his shoulders. Didn't seem like a lot of fun to me. I didn't envision him heading out for many weekly bike rides. :rolleyes:

Serpico
11-22-2006, 12:03 PM

no one really knows other than it was "ordained from God", as church members believe it was.

"the principle" was invented because joseph smith wanted to get his swerve on

it's really that simple

flydhest
11-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Though many suspect practical reasons for LDS polygamy back in the mid 1800's (persecution leading to extermination and relocations, many more women than men in that early LDS society etc.) no one really knows other than it was "ordained from God", as church members believe it was.

Mormon fundamentalists have very little in common with the LDS church of the 20th century and beyond. They do have a fundamentalist type mentality and, if pushed, I have no doubt it would be WACO revisited on a much larger scale.

As for out of wed-lock births...the numbers in the US are now 40% of births. Not too far behind France. I personally find it selfish to bring a child into a world of temporary relationships. Obviously a marriage may end in divorce at any time but at least there's a semblance of effort towards stability. Kids do better with stability. There's a plethora of data to support that.

Having kids is easy. Being a parent is hard.

Interesting note is that out-of-wedlock births to women under 20 has ticked down, it is those in the 20-40 range where it has gone up. Divorces are very easy. I know numerous couples that have been together, unmarried for decades. In Sweden, many, many couples don't get married until after (note, after) the birth of their first kid.

Definitely stability is good for kids. Identifying what stability is is more difficult.

PBWrench
11-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Do you need to smash a glass for each one?

davids
11-22-2006, 02:07 PM
"shul"? "smash a glass"? Some confusion about religious practices, atmo?

vaxn8r
11-22-2006, 03:04 PM
...Definitely stability is good for kids. Identifying what stability is is more difficult.
Agreed.