PDA

View Full Version : Which 700x35 Gravel Tires?

Gartenmeister
01-19-2019, 02:16 PM
I've got spring gravel rides on the brain. Looking for your experience with 700x35 tires, especially some compare/contrast if you've run more than one.

-must be 700x35 give or take a mm. No 32 or 38.
-30% pavement / 50% hardpacked dirt / 20% loose gravel
-under 400g
-order of priority: speed/RR, comfort, grip, durability, price

Options:
Schwalbe G-One All Around (popular, seems to be well-liked)
Compass Bon Jon (I love these but wish for more loose condition grip)
Challenge Strada Bianca TLR 700x36 (could it be any better than the Compass?)
Hutchinson Override Gravel (I know nothing)
WTB Exposure Road TCS 700x34 (I know nothing)
Michelin Power Gravel (I know nothing)
Others?

thwart
01-19-2019, 03:08 PM
Similar Spring plans here.

Panaracer GravelKing seem like they should be on your (short) list...

GregL
01-19-2019, 03:15 PM
Panaracer GravelKing SK (https://panaracerusa.com/product/gravelking-sk-all-road-tire/). Raced on them last summer and loved them.

Greg

Vientomas
01-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Rollin' G-One's on a Felt VR4 1x...really like them. Very good traction off pavement and roll nicely on pavement.

merlinmurph
01-19-2019, 03:50 PM
Just to add to the confusion...

Donnelly (formerly Clement) X'PLOR MSO 700x36

I've been using the 40mm size for a few years now

philhan89
01-19-2019, 03:54 PM
+1 Bon Jon. I got some Cross Boss's on right now, super happy with em but the on road commuting to trails kinda sucks. If not right onto dirt that tread wears fast.

booglebug
01-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Another Gravel King fan here.

weisan
01-19-2019, 04:15 PM
I am surprised that Gravel King 35 was not on your list.
For what it's worth, I did a gravel ride a while ago and during the transition on paved to the next section, we got passed by a group of roadies. I saw a friend in the group and gave chase, caught up with them and even went to the front to hammer a bit...was totally surprised that it rolled so fast and so smooth to be honest.

https://vimeo.com/312308645

yinzerniner
01-19-2019, 04:35 PM
Tire choice is completely dependent on conditions, but along the same vein it's also dependent on whether you're breakdown is simply based on time spent, or whether it's based on enjoyment.

If you're strictly breaking down the pie based on time spent the gravel king should be the top of the list. However if you enjoy one of the three surfaces more than another then a different tire will probably better suit you.

Case in point - I was going with a combo of gravel king sk, maxxis rambler and schwalbe g one bite, and since I had my most enjoyment on hard pack the ramblers were the best choice, even though I spent the least amount of riding time on hard pack. I picked up a set of g one all around and they'll probably fair better than the ramblers b/c of my leanings.

It's pretty tough to judge them based off recommendations so you'll prob have to do some sprr of side by side. Glwts

GregL
01-19-2019, 05:21 PM
I am surprised that Gravel King 35 was not on your list.
For what it's worth, I did a gravel ride a while ago and during the transition on paved to the next section, we got passed by a group of roadies. I saw a friend in the group and gave chase, caught up with them and even went to the front to hammer a bit...was totally surprised that it rolled so fast and so smooth to be honest.
My experience has been nearly identical. My first gravel race had several paved sections connecting the gravel roads. I was very impressed with the speed of the GravelKing SKs. Even at low pressures optimized for the loose gravel, the SKs rolled fast on the pavement.

Greg

AngryScientist
01-19-2019, 05:23 PM
there are so many tires available now in the 'gravel" segment that it's definitely hard to choose, and you can be struck by analysis-paralysis.

i still believe that if the terrain is mostly hard packed and decently well maintained and not loose/muddy, the compass tires win every time as far as ride quality, but not ultimate durability.

once you stray from those conditions, i think you need to just pick one that looks good and go for it, and not worry too much about what else is out there.

to add my 2-cents worth of recommendation, i'm currently running terrevail cannonball 35's and like them a lot.

https://content.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/900/TVL/TVL000A/LSTA.jpg

weisan
01-19-2019, 05:28 PM
i still believe that if the terrain is mostly hard packed and decently well maintained and not loose/muddy, the compass tires win every time as far as ride quality, but not ultimate durability.

It's true. Was thinking about that this morning when I was blastin' away with the Compass 650bx47mm Switchback Hills tires which have been on my Surly touring bike for like 2 years and have maybe 30 miles on it. What a shame! . The fear with puncture and wear is overblown. What good is a bike or a tire if we just let them sit there, afraid of rust, afraid of puncture....never ending "afraid of...",just stop it! Ride the damn bike!...or tires!
:p

http://alicehui.com/bike/rides/IMG_2200.jpg

CNY rider
01-19-2019, 05:28 PM
Love my Conti Cyclocross Speeds, and we have a similar terrain mix, with perhaps a little less gravel and a little more packed dirt/clay road surfaces.

Spdntrxi
01-19-2019, 05:32 PM

these are really good.. using 650bx42... I also use Graveling SK in 700x35mm.. honestly these 42's are as fast as the GKSK 35's .

weisan
01-19-2019, 05:36 PM
honestly these 42's are as fast as the GKSK 35's .

I have both and I agree.

Gartenmeister
01-19-2019, 07:04 PM
OP here.

Appreciate all the comments on the Gravelking SK. I am definitely aware of them, but have not ridden them. Left them off the list due to being slightly heavy (right at 400 I think) and pretty heavily treaded. But if they roll fast, I'm cool with that.

Little more backstory: for a lot of the areas I like to ride the Compass Bon Jon (or even Stampede) is perfect- have been riding them for years and love them. But I have some buddies who want to go where it is a bit more gnarly so I find myself needing a slightly more loose-capable tire. I got some Maxxis Ramblers in 38 and they were fantastic, just what I was after....but in real world riding didn't quite fit my frame (Domane) and I got some rubbing. So I need something that rolls, grips and weighs like a Rambler.....but in a 35. Is it the GK SK?

Tommasini53
01-19-2019, 07:50 PM
I've used Schwable G-One (favorite), Hutch Overides, and Panaracer GK-SK.
G-One: fantastic ride quality, seems supple but i've sliced them a couple times that required plugs. But I continue buy these because of the great ride.

Overides: used these all of last year. Good ride, durable...nothing too exciting.

Panaracer GK-SK: these are on my wife's gravel bike, they are durable. make that very durable. They measure out to a couple mm more than advertised. She likes them very much.
Be sure to ask those that ride gravel in your area. Gravel conditions vary so much from local to local. So much to chose from these days. enjoy

Spdntrxi
01-19-2019, 07:52 PM
another thing to think about... is for whatever reason.. GKSK 35 are known to run big. My 35 are 38 on 21 internal width rim.

floxy1
01-19-2019, 08:53 PM
G-one all-around front and G One Speed rear

dem
01-19-2019, 09:07 PM
I'm trying the Challenge Gravel Grinder TLR 700x38 next - 120 tpi casing and 370g

Hoping it'll be a bit faster/lighter than the (bomb proof) Specialized Triggers while being a bit grippier/tougher than the Compass-type tires.

http://www.challengetech.it/products/gravel/gravel-grinder-tlr-096/en

weisan
01-20-2019, 04:45 AM
another thing to think about... is for whatever reason.. GKSK 35 are known to run big. My 35 are 38 on 21 internal width rim.

spot on

R3awak3n
01-20-2019, 06:19 AM
a bit off topic but not really because I am looking for something similar but I don't really care about gravel for these tires.

32 to 35 and tubeless. I am thinking about going compass. I have 32mm GKs right now and theya re great but not tubeless... I see everyone rolling on the schwalbes but how good are they on the road compared to say the gravel kings? I want a fast tire.

Really thinking about trying the challenge though, seems interesting... at that price though, the compass I already know it is excellent (even though not the best at tubeless)

merlinmurph
01-20-2019, 09:28 AM

I need to comment on my comment.

When I run the wheels with these 40mm tires, I am primarily riding on singletrack or unimproved dirt roads that never see a car. My pressures are therefore on the lower side and I loooooove the comfort as I tend towards the comfort side of things and away from the speed side.

And yes, I use them on organized gravel rides on good dirt roads because I'm too lazy to change tires. There, I said it. ;-)

Bob Ross
01-20-2019, 09:38 AM
I don't really feel qualified to chime in here; I've only been actively doing the "all roads" thing for ~6 months. In that time I was mostly on 37c WTB Riddlers, and I never encountered any terrain where I thought those didn't have enough grip, or were too slow. But I have no idea what they weigh. For the last two weeks I've been on 35c Schwalbe Rapid Robs, and they suck: Always feel too slow, and I'm sure they must be ridiculously heavy...at least they sure feel like boat anchors.

fwiw my wife hooked up with our Club's dirt crew this past year, and most of the experienced guys in that gang recommended 35c Kenda Small Block 8s, so she's been riding those for the past ~12 months with no complaints.

Lovic
01-20-2019, 07:04 PM
Go Gravel King Slick in the 38 (if they'll fit) and set those bad boys up tubeless for tubular like ride & one hell of a versatile tire. Rad colors on sale now too.

Loved the Compass Bon Jon Pass in 35 on my Turner Cyclosys, fastest and most versatile it ever felt. Unfortunately, the $ wasn't worth the short lifespan of one of the pair. Maybe a couple hundred miles in and the rear got a huge gash. Got home b/c of tubeless, but it was done.

Mzilliox
01-20-2019, 07:57 PM
i think you should try tires that are totally different from the tire size you are asking about.

or if you haven't had a look, i actually quite like the Challenge almanzo 33mm for the conditions you describe when i am not on my 32mm gravel kings (closer to 34mm). they also do the gravel grinder 36mm. some of my gravel is farkin steep, like 20-30% stuff, so the extra grip going up and down is nice. if the grades stay under that 15-20% mark i ride gravel king 32s pumped 55/60 psi and have a blast. I have some compass tires, and maybe they are faster on pave but not enough so to pay double price on gravel, where you will eventually rip the sidewall before wearing the tread. my compass tires are reserved for some gravel and lots of pave.

doomridesout
01-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Another option: Kenda Happy Medium. I was pretty pleasantly surprised when I was riding mine. I love the fancy stuff but Kenda makes some underrated stuff.

rkhatibi
01-20-2019, 10:46 PM
Adding to the mix and just mounted a 35 in the rear tonight. No miles yet, but hopefully tomorrow. https://www.cxmagazine.com/hutchinson-overide-tubeless-gravel-tire-review-35-38

ColonelJLloyd
10-27-2020, 08:39 AM
Bumping this thread because I don't think the world needs another gravel tire thread and this thread title fit the bill.

I have lots of miles on Bon Jon Pass 700x35 ELs. I have a hard time believing I'll find a better tire for mostly paved and gravel riding. But, they are expensive and I kinda have a thing for tires. I also have and love the GravelKing slick (regular, not "plus") tires in 32 and 35.

I'm curious if anyone has tried the WTB Exposure 700x36 or Challenge Strada Bianca 700x36 (not the more expensive handmade model). Both are listed as weighing ~355g, which is the same as the 700x35 GravelKing and regular casing Bon Jon.

The Exposure looks good on paper, but I thought the Horizons and Byways were dogs so I'm a little leery. My only experience with Challenge tires were the 700x27 PRs that felt great, but were very difficult to mount and I never had as many flats with a pair of tires. But, that was almost ten years ago and with tubes.

Anyone have experience on the Exposure 36 or Strada Bianca 36 TLR?

R3awak3n
10-27-2020, 08:46 AM
Bumping this thread because I don't think the world needs another gravel tire thread and this thread title fit the bill.

I have lots of miles on Bon Jon Pass 700x35 ELs. I have a hard time believing I'll find a better tire for mostly paved and gravel riding. But, they are expensive and I kinda have a thing for tires. I also have and love the GravelKing slick (regular, not "plus") tires in 32 and 35.

I'm curious if anyone has tried the WTB Exposure 700x36 or Challenge Strada Bianca 700x36 (not the more expensive handmade model). Both are listed as weighing ~355g, which is the same as the 700x35 GravelKing and regular casing Bon Jon.

The Exposure looks good on paper, but I thought the Horizons and Byways were dogs so I'm a little leery. My only experience with Challenge tires were the 700x27 PRs that felt great, but were very difficult to mount and I never had as many flats with a pair of tires. But, that was almost ten years ago and with tubes.

maybe they have fixed their production but when I bought the those exact challenges they were bad, they would not pop the bead into my rims (tried 2 or 3 sets of wheelsets). Challenge is known for crappy QC. I also have bon jons, they have low miles but great so far. I would probably just get another set if I was you :)

AngryScientist
10-27-2020, 08:47 AM

honestly in the category you are seeking, light smooth roadish 35c tires, i dont think it gets any better than the RH with a close second to the GK's, any of those other tires are going to feel not as supple and slower IMO, maybe the Challenge could be close, but not likely better.

FWIW, i'm rolling on a set of wtb expanse tires that are pretty darn nice on my gravel bike, but those are 32 only.

ColonelJLloyd
10-27-2020, 08:49 AM
I also have bon jons, they have low miles but great so far. I would probably just get another set if I was you :)

My Bon Jons aren't even worn out yet. They just happen to be off the wheels and I have an irrational drive to try tires for myself. I'll be honest, there is no good reason I am tire shopping this morning.

cyan
10-27-2020, 03:34 PM
My Bon Jons aren't even worn out yet. They just happen to be off the wheels and I have an irrational drive to try tires for myself. I'll be honest, there is no good reason I am tire shopping this morning.

How many miles can you reasonably get out of EL version of 32/35mm Bon Jons? How about their puncture resistance? Have been curious about them...

gavingould
10-27-2020, 04:14 PM

yes. i've had Exposure 36s on my Checkpoint a couple months. i like them well enough - have been mostly on paved as i don't know where the gravel is around here yet.
i have previously run Strada Bianca (non-tubeless, 30mm) and they were fine too, seemed to be more flat prone than the WTBs have been thus far.
prior to those, i had some Vittoria Open Pave 27s... basically same riding, road, hardpack dirt, gravel.
definitely leaning toward the larger tires these days, i don't see why i'd really do anything narrower than a 32 anymore.

ColonelJLloyd
10-27-2020, 07:11 PM
How many miles can you reasonably get out of EL version of 32/35mm Bon Jons? How about their puncture resistance? Have been curious about them...

I'm not sure. Mine probably have under a thousand miles. The tread doesn't feel thick but it doesn't feel thick on a new tire. When cleaning out some dried sealant in them last week I noticed several very hard little nubs of dried Orange Seal on the inside of the contact patch. I'm inclined to think these were sealed punctures but I can't say for sure. I can say I've never had a flat with this pair of tires.

dmurphey
10-27-2020, 08:04 PM
Conti GP Urban, 700 x 35, <350 gm, wide, light, tough, good feel, no knobs

benb
10-28-2020, 08:53 AM
I've got a set of the 700x32 gravel kings (smooth) and they're outrageously good on gravel & dirt, way more than I'd expect a smooth tire to be.

I'd be tempted to try the 700x35s next.

I have run the Challenge Gravel Grinder in 700x38, they had file tread in teh middle and lugs on the outside.

The 700x32 gravel kings give up very little in the dirt and roll tremendously faster on fast stuff.

The Compass/rene herse tires are just panaracers with custom spec.. basically less rubber and lighter everything, less flat resistance, higher price. They are not bad tires but they're just panaracers with different selections and a different label.

I'm personally a little scared of the compass tires cause I've been on rides where people had apocalyptic levels of repeat flatting on them. Never had a flat on my panaracers, but they're definitely heavier.