PDA

View Full Version : Rolf Wheelsets ???

jerome
05-03-2004, 07:26 AM
Hello,
Is there anybody who has experienced or heard about the Rolf wheels ?
How they are ? stiff, how stiff like Campy, Mavic ??? reliable?
do they suit well with an Otttrott ST, I should tell you I am more a climber or a steady rider.
regards
I have hard time to find a light efficient set of wheels ? If somebody has any ideas ?

thank you

http://forums.thepaceline.net/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=3#

bostondrunk
05-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Waste of money. Crappy wheels with a stupid suckass gimmick spoke pattern.
Build yourself a lightweight set of wheels with Campy hubs and lightweight rims, 28 revolution or sapim spokes.
Or pay someone like speeddream wheels to do it for you.

dirtdigger88
05-03-2004, 10:03 AM
I have a set of the comps, and I am not impressed either. I don't like the feel of them, not stiff- not comfy-not a good wheel set. The rims are narrow which makes mounting tires a bit of a pain, but worse it leaves your 23mm tires much skinner and taller in profile. I can not corner with the confidence that I have on my Ksyriums or my Open Pros. I have laid my bike down two times in 4 years- each time in hard corners and each time with the Rolfs on . They "squirm" in hard corners. HEAVY WHEELS- I think my comps are like almost 1900 grams compared to my K's at 1500 and my OP at 1550. Cost wise, I have no more money in my OP's than the Comps. I keep them around because I throw them on my Lemond once in a while for one ride, then it rides like a dream when I put the OP's back on.

Jason

BarryG
05-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Anyone actually ride Rolf Prima wheels, the ones that he actually makes now?

http://www.rolfprima.com/products/index.html

bostondrunk
05-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Can't say that I have. Kind of like how I won't try a spinergy product after the embarrasing wheels they've put out, like the 'slow me down and fall apart at the hubs' Spinergy Spox, and the 'Russian Roulette' Rev-X's....

dirtdigger88
05-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Yes, they are a lighter weight version of the previous JUNK that Rolf has put out. Spend your money on something better, trust me

Jason

bostondrunk
05-03-2004, 11:37 AM
If you insist on getting pre-builts / custom, then just get a set of Ksyirum SL's or a wheelset built by Dave at Speeddream. In either case, you'll get a light strong wheelset with smooth running name brand parts and a fairly normal spoke pattern.
If you're not worried about the resale value, I'd go with spead dreams. If you like to swap equipment often and think you'll sell in a year, then get the Ksyriums, easier to sell.

va rider
05-03-2004, 11:54 AM
I believe, the Rolf Vector Comps and Pros were produced by Rolf when he was contracting with Trek. Bontrager has updated the design, I think, and now produces the wheels for Trek.

Rolf went off on his own and has come with another variant on the Vector design, the Rolf Prima. I have not rode this wheel, but Dirtdigger is right on point with Vector Comps, heavy and did not handle very well.

I have the Ksyrium elites and they are much better than the Rolf Vector Comps. I hear the Ksyriums are much better than the elites.

There are a number of very good pre-fab wheels on the market, including Velomax, Campy and Spinergy. Though alot of very experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum ride custom wheels and highly recommend them.

JohnS
05-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Comparing Rolf Vectors to K's is like comparing apples and oranges. The Rolf was a deep vee rim. The old Rolf Sestriere is more akin to the Ksyrium.

dirtdigger88
05-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Comparing Rolfs to K's is more like comparing a Corvette to a Pinto IMHO

:)
Jason

dirtdigger88
05-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Sorry, with the Rolfs being the Pinto in case someone in internet land got confused

Jason

Climb01742
05-03-2004, 01:11 PM
how would folks compare speeddreams to mavic OPs? OPs are my go-to wheel. but i wouldn't mind trying something different, purely, i gotta say, just to add a little spice to my wheels.

BarryG
05-03-2004, 01:57 PM
how would folks compare speeddreams to mavic OPs?

You can't just say "speeddreams" without specifiying the build. Speeddream just means they are custom wheels that Dave Thomas built. My 2 yr old Speeddreams have AC350 rims and AC hubs, are 1320g for the set, and are superb wheels (140# rider here). However, I don't think this is a standard build of his any longer.

Barry

Jeff N.
05-03-2004, 02:04 PM
I used to ride Sestrieres a few years ago. They were reasonably stiff, but I could feel them cower when turning. Nowadays, they wouldn't be my first choice, thats for sure. I sold 'em off. Jeff N.

vaxn8r
05-03-2004, 02:19 PM
This is a confusing thread to read with a lot of misinformation.

First off, Rolf's current wheelsets are nothing like the old Rolf/Trek whelsets.

The new "Rolf" (not Trek) wheelsets are interesting. When they first came out they used Am Classic hubsets, which really were garbage (noisy, poor seals, poor bearings). They've swithched now to White Industry hubs this year. quite a few on my local team race on them and they are well liked. Though the AC hubs were not reliable, it remains to be seen about the WI hubs, so far so good in '04.

They are not heavy by any stretch, 1,270g for the Elan and about 1,400g for the aero Vectors. I haven't tried a set but would be willing to if they continue holding up for our cat 2 team. They also build up a somewhat heavier Vector for tandems. I haven't tried these either but they look solid and for a tandem wheel are light. Co-Motion stocks these on all their racing tandems. To me this is a big endorsment.

I'm not sure you really ought to buy a 1,200g wheelset for your only wheels. I think if you use them for racing, special events that's probably more appropriate. IMO I'd get a Campy/DA/Mavic/built up wheel for everyday use.

gasman
05-03-2004, 08:55 PM
I have a set of the Rolf Elans and a set of Ksyrium SSLs with the same tires (the new Specialized Mondo with Michelin tubes) and have about 1,000 miles this year on each wheel set. The Elans are lighter, quieter, roll better and climb better than the Ksyriums. They may not be as durable the Ksyriums over the long run but I am not heavy (168 lbs) nor do I race. I do train with plenty of guys that do race so I am not always very nice to my wheels. I think Rolfs' will last and I am happy with them.

zap
05-04-2004, 09:42 AM
gasman,

Are your Elan's the '04 model w/white hubs?

gasman
05-04-2004, 11:25 AM
I got my Elan's in March '04 direct from the factory but they have black hubs. BTW- guys at the Rolf factory say that the only real difference between the Elan and the Elan aeros is the aeros have black spokes (and cost $50 more). There is no real performance difference.

BarryG
05-04-2004, 01:35 PM
they have black hubs.

I think Zap meant the company "white", not the color.

Elan Aero spokes should be more bladed.

Barry

vaxn8r
05-04-2004, 02:20 PM
gasman's would be the White Industry hubs.

FWIW, I heard that AC changed their hub design for '04 as well. Anybody confirm this.

Kurt
05-04-2004, 02:27 PM
hub internals on the 04' 420 are different. love what the wheels do but the quality is not there, imo. My original hubs blew apart.

gasman's would be the White Industry hubs.

FWIW, I heard that AC changed their hub design for '04 as well. Anybody confirm this.

zap
05-04-2004, 02:32 PM
I've heard rumblings about a lighter rear hub.

The current rear hub had several revision's but I've lost track of all the changes. My AC rear hub is holding up but I don't know how many more 1,000+ watt sprints they can handle. But then with a damaged patellar tendon it won't be happening soon :crap:

gasman
05-05-2004, 10:42 AM
I think Zap meant the company "white", not the color.
As Homer Simpson says-"Duoh" :crap: I forgot that was the company that supplied the bearings/hubs.

Elan Aero spokes should be more bladed.
They are more bladed but it makes no difference in performance.
Barry