PDA

View Full Version : Dynamo Hubs for offroad?

d_douglas
01-18-2019, 01:17 PM
Hello all:

I have a Shutter Precision hub on my commuter that I love and when thinking up a new wheelset for my gravel/allrounder, I think of how useful these dynamo hubs can be.

Having never (well, maybe once or twice) smashed my existing one around on trails, are these hubs good enough quality to withstand taking a pounding when offroad riding? I see the possibility of having a light installed sometimes, then removing it and capping the contact and riding trails without the light at other times. I just don't want to invest in a nice wheelset only to have the front hub die because there is too many fragile bits in there vs a simple hub that basically never breaks down.

I would probably buy another SP hub, but might consider a SON if the right deal came along. The rear hub will be an Onyx.

hummus_aquinas
01-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Speaking from experience I have full confidence in the performance of SP hubs offroad. I have had the SP PD-8 with a qr on my Crust Romanceur since late 2016 (??, first run) and it is holding up nicely. Not only is it my around town basket bike, I frequently underbike it on rough shale and rutted trails.
As for "the possibility of having a light installed sometimes", I reckon once you install a light system it's probably just going to live on there. Wiring and routing cable is a little cumbersome especially if you use a front rack.

https://1k8v1j48qpy31xwzwlyhyn9p-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/GSC_BlackFriday-14-1335x890.jpg

unterhausen
01-18-2019, 02:49 PM
I have SP hubs on both my mtb and my gravel bike. I would have one on my fatbike, but they pulled that model for a problem at low temps and I bought a SON.

d_douglas
01-18-2019, 02:57 PM
Thanks folks.

Yes, I sense that it would stay once installed, but I visualize it working itself looked and the light flopping down onto the wheel and getting torn off as I pedal. I guess that speaks to how I maintain my bikes!?

The quality is there though, it seems....

CNY rider
01-18-2019, 03:32 PM
I agree, my concern would not be the hub, but rather trashing a good light on the trails.

unterhausen
01-18-2019, 04:31 PM
people have experienced fatigue failures of the mounting point on B&M lights. I have a cyo premium on my gravel bike, I think it will be fine for many years. It sees some rough use. I have a Supernova Pure on my MTB, it is never going to break.

If I was more serious about those lights, I probably would put an IQ-X on there, the mount is replaceable. With my fatbike, I haven't settled on a place for the headlight. They really work best at crown level, but that's problematic on a suspension fork.

mikemowbz
01-20-2019, 08:47 PM
Nice to see some confidence in the SP hubs for this kind of hard use. I tend to figure that while many use dynamo setups for urban/asphalt touring applications, proper randonneurs and 'gravel' riders, endurance types, etc. have to be enough of the target market for this stuff that the ability to withstand rough use would need to be there for a make to enjoy a good reputation across the board.

I'm in the process of setting up a Schmidt/B&M system, and likely to look at SP for a second bike, so appreciate the discussion here.

I will be sure to consider the light mounting system/hardware going forward, as I had not really directly considered the possible concern there when bouncing around too much rough stuff.

Billybob62
01-21-2019, 07:54 AM
+1 for robustness of SP Dynohub. I've been using one on my Gravel bike for about a year with an IQ-X light (with the metal B&M mount) that stays on all the time. Haven't had a problem in about 2,000 miles offroad including D2R2, Unpaved of Pa etc.

72gmc
01-21-2019, 11:31 AM
people have experienced fatigue failures of the mounting point on B&M lights. I have a cyo premium on my gravel bike, I think it will be fine for many years. It sees some rough use. I have a Supernova Pure on my MTB, it is never going to break.

If I was more serious about those lights, I probably would put an IQ-X on there, the mount is replaceable. With my fatbike, I haven't settled on a place for the headlight. They really work best at crown level, but that's problematic on a suspension fork.

Thanks for the notes on fatigue and replaceable mounts. My current lights are mounted on Paul Ginos at the mid-fork rack boss location. I'm also thinking of a dynohub and wondering if a light centered on the rack is a better choice.

alembical
01-21-2019, 02:33 PM
I have a SP on my gravel/commuter bike. That bike gets trashed and it has held up well. The weight and added friction might be enough to lead me to not do it on my gravel race bike... at least it has for me so far. I do feel like there is a 5% + loss of efficiency. I know when I spin that wheel and another wheels I have, the other wheels all spin for much longer. No regrets though for my commuting bike and it has held up well. My light is front rack mounted and rear is mounted to fender.

fixieporteur
01-21-2019, 03:18 PM
+1 for durability of the hubs. Also, Edelux lights with the metal mounting tab are far more durable than plastic tab on less expensive lights.

I'm not familiar with the IQ-X, can someone confirm which variation has a metal mounting tab?

harryschwartzma
01-21-2019, 03:22 PM
I’be been abusing an Sp PV-8 off-road with an exposure revo lamp for two years now. No probs at all. I recommend the Exposure for off road riding but not at all for on road riding

weisan
01-21-2019, 03:52 PM
I recommend the Exposure for off road riding but not at all for on road riding

Why, may I ask? I am in the process of looking for a good light that will match the dynamo 650b wheel that I just built. This will serve on a gravel touring bike.

http://alicehui.com/bike/wheel/IMG_2064.jpg

72gmc
01-21-2019, 04:24 PM
pictured: weisan's house

unterhausen
01-21-2019, 04:29 PM
+1 for durability of the hubs. Also, Edelux lights with the metal mounting tab are far more durable than plastic tab on less expensive lights.

I'm not familiar with the IQ-X, can someone confirm which variation has a metal mounting tab?

I have an IQ-X and a friend has a new-ish Edelux II. I swear they have upgraded the Edelux emitter over the rated emitter, because it really seems to be just as bright as the IQ-X. But it's rated to put out significantly less light than the IQ-X. The Edelux is a Cyo premium in a much nicer case.

The IQ-X mounting tab is a replaceable plastic band. When people talk about replacing the mount, they mean the part that mounts to the bike. The plastic monstrosity that comes with the light is not stiff enough and would never do off-road.

fixieporteur
01-21-2019, 04:40 PM
The IQ-X mounting tab is a replaceable plastic band. When people talk about replacing the mount, they mean the part that mounts to the bike. The plastic monstrosity that comes with the light is not stiff enough and would never do off-road.

Thanks, I see the metal band is Part Number B&M464SCHELLE/PB. A worthwhile upgrade at $11 full US retail!

weisan
01-21-2019, 04:46 PM
pictured: weisan's house

72 pal, you have completely underestimated me.

That was just the garden shed in my backyard,

This is the entrance...
http://alicehui.com/bike/rides/IMG_2282.jpg

to the rest of my house.

http://alicehui.com/bike/rides/IMG_2283.jpg

unterhausen
01-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Thanks, I see the metal band is Part Number B&M464SCHELLE/PB. A worthwhile upgrade at $11 full US retail!

unless I'm looking at it wrong, that is a replacement plastic one
eta: dang, that thing is expensive. I need to remember to adjust the light with a wrench instead of trying to rotate it by hand.

The metal mount someone referred to above is probably a B&M475DPB

weisan
01-21-2019, 09:37 PM
Apparently one of the winning bikes in 2018 Dirty Kanza was equipped with SP.

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/dirty-kanza-2018-ted-king-kaitlin-keough-rebecca-rusch-matt-acker-pro-bike-52378/

Rebecca Rusch’s Niner RLT 9 RDO

brainbow
01-22-2019, 10:55 PM
Both SON and SP dyno's will be OK off-road. Until things get climby and technical slow >5mph. Hubs will then supply an intermittent current causing the German lights to flicker and/or cast a dim version of illumination.

The Sinewave Cycles Beacon headlamp is better suited for specifically off-road, low speed riding. 200 lumens at 5mph is still an asset when technical climbing and the standlight cache works as promised. It's beam pattern is also better suited for trail/woods riding. It does not employ the same carved mirror cut-off beam pattern as the street legal German lights (Eyc, Edelux, Luxos, IQ-X, et al). Rather, it casts an even and broad beam pattern. As you might imagine, this is especially useful when trails dip down and thoese "road" dyno headlamps give no illumination above the trail. The USB charging feature is nice too. Handsome and custom color options make friends friendly.

Would make a suitable urban/road headlamp too, with re-directing beam down a bit, but still not as clean as the German lights in traffic.

fixieporteur
01-23-2019, 08:39 AM
unless I'm looking at it wrong, that is a replacement plastic one
eta: dang, that thing is expensive. I need to remember to adjust the light with a wrench instead of trying to rotate it by hand.

The metal mount someone referred to above is probably a B&M475DPB

Ok, I see there are two parts involved in mounting the IQ-X, a "mounting band" and a "mount."

I suppose the mounting band being replaceable is better than a non-replaceable plastic eyelet under the lamp (as on B&M Eyc, Cyo, Fly, and Luxos). But I was hoping for metal :confused:

unterhausen
01-23-2019, 11:26 AM
I was out riding in the middle of the night and cranked on the light to adjust it and the plastic band broke. Fortunately, convenience stores sell small rolls of duct tape for a reasonable price. For the rest of the ride I was plotting how to build a metal replacement, but the easy availability of spares put an end to that, I have enough projects. The reason it's a band is you can mount the light from the top or the bottom and when mounted from the top, the wires run under the band.

I really don't think I will ever need to replace the band unless I'm too lazy to get out a multitool for another adjustment.

It sure would be nice if the pivot on the plastic bodied lights were bolted on. I have one where I made an aluminum pivot that I still haven't glued on.

harryschwartzma
01-23-2019, 02:12 PM
Why, may I ask? I am in the process of looking for a good light that will match the dynamo 650b wheel that I just built. This will serve on a gravel touring bike

The light is similar to the Sinewave mentioned above. The beam is not shaped like a German light and is a big flood of light. The Exposure also has a battery built in to maintain light even when you’re rolling slow. It also lacks an off switch which can be obnoxious on a road ride.

RBD
01-23-2019, 06:12 PM
Any opinions on or comparisons between SP and Son quick release hubs? On and off road 650b rando type bike, wet and dry. Some rough stuff.

unterhausen
01-23-2019, 09:47 PM
To me, the value of a SON QR hub just isn't there relative to an SP. However, I am somewhat resolved to buy SON hubs in the future because I want the connectorless feature that only they have right now. But that requires a special fork

brainbow
01-24-2019, 12:10 AM
Both work great. Don't over tighten q/r skewer on SP, and enjoy. The SON will work great, the seals might contaminate/honk after a period. But probably not.