PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Compass Cycles in Seattle has an open position for a bike mechanic

fiamme red
01-17-2019, 03:05 PM
https://www.compasscycle.com/jobs/

Career Opportunities

Bike Mechanic, Customer Service and Operations

Starting Salary: $ 38-45,000

Seattle, WA

Compass Cycles is hiring a multi-faceted, long-term, full-time position in customer service, shipping, operations, and as a bike mechanic. Join our team and be part of a company that is reshaping the bike industry.

1. Help customers select the right components and answer their questions via e-mail.
2. Ship retail and wholesale orders.
3. Assemble the components we sell and the bikes we use for testing them.
4. Assist with the operations of the company.

Since 2011, Compass has designed, distributed and retailed high-performance bicycle components. We enjoy great relationships with our customers. We value our collaborative work environment and solicit everybody’s input. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and vacation. Our office/warehouse is located in the popular Ballard neighborhood of Seattle. We tend to promote from within, so there are future opportunities as our company continues to grow.

You have:

• college education
• excellent writing skills
• good typing skills
• proficient on Macs
• knowledge of Excel and spreadsheets
• solid experience as a bike mechanic
• ability to lift 50 lb

You will work 40 hours weekly with a flexible schedule (core time 9 – 2 Monday – Friday, remaining hours flexible). You will enjoy full benefits (health insurance, dental, sick leave), and 10 annual days paid vacation, accruing from the first day of work. Competitive salary is based on your qualifications.

Please submit your resume and cover letter. We will review applications immediately and schedule first interviews. We will select our hire after a second round of interviews with the finalists. We plan to fill the position as soon as possible.

Submit resume and cover letter to kenneth@compasscycle.com

andeww
01-17-2019, 04:00 PM
9-2pm holy crap
i could be both kelly slater and lance armstrong by the end of summer.

Spaghetti Legs
01-17-2019, 04:08 PM
Sounds like a good job.

PacNW2Ford
01-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Ummm, 9-2 means you have to be there during those hours, the other 15 hours are open.

Bruce K
01-17-2019, 04:36 PM
Sounds like good compensation but don’t they mostly sell components?

How much wrenching is really involved?

Interesting opportunity

BK

zzy
01-17-2019, 04:48 PM
building test rigs for compass would actually be really fun

charliedid
01-17-2019, 04:48 PM

Interesting opportunity

BK

Probably not much in the overall scheme. I think they are looking for an all-rounder that has solid mech. skills to be able to assist customers with the right choices. I have no idea how many bikes roll through for review purposes.

My guess anyway.

m_sasso
01-17-2019, 04:57 PM
Good luck trying to exist on that renumeration in Seattle, WA.

Like you would even have the ability to pay back student loans for your college education?

10 annual days paid vacation, next to slave labor!

Bruce K
01-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Marc, are you being serious, and, if so, which parts?

10 days paid vacation in your first year of employment is pretty good by most standards.

Student loans could be an issue, but if you got s degree from a private college that has limited/no marketability, that would be an issue in almost any entry level job.

I was curious about rent/living costs there.

The bike industry as a whole does not pay well for most folks below management level jobs.

BK

fa63
01-17-2019, 05:12 PM
That would be an excellent salary for a bike mechanic in Atlanta, but I imagine it is hard to live off of that in Seattle. Sounds like it would still be a neat job though!

Blown Reek
01-17-2019, 06:37 PM
A qualified bike shop mechanic with a college degree is doing something wrong.

m_sasso
01-17-2019, 06:41 PM
The cost of living in Seattle has to be on the upper end of the US scale, Seattle was the latest big city awarded a NHL franchise, young peoples demand for ice facilities and skating time are going to explode, want minimal education/work skills employment in Seattle learn to make ice and drive a Zamboni. You will be compensated triple what Compass is willing to pay.

Kirk007
01-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Bruce,

Minimum salary for a single person to be considered above the poverty line in Seattle is over $50,000. I run a nonprofit that focuses on conservation issues across North America and made the decision this year to relocate all non Pacific NW program staff (6-7 positions) to Salt Lake City where the cost of living is 39% less and access to outdoors, at least mountains, better. SLC isn't perfect but Seattle is out of control from a cost of living perspective. That mechanic will either need a second job, a working partner or be independently wealthy or live an hour plus away from the City to make that salary work.

AngryScientist
01-17-2019, 06:56 PM
That mechanic will either need a second job, a working partner or be independently wealthy or live an hour plus away from the City to make that salary work.

you are forgetting, by far - the most probable situation for that mechanic to be in - living with mom and pop.

it's a tough situation out there, especially in the big cities. on one hand, i am surprised and happy to see that compass is in a financial position to hire what appears to be an "extra" at a reasonable salary, offer benefits and paid time off, for such a small company, that is rather impressive and means they must be doing well.

on the other hand, once you really think about it, as mentioned above, living in Seattle, or needing to commute in and out of the city every day, and making under $40k/year is going to be tough.

everyone needs to start somewhere, and this could be the right move for a younger person who doesnt mind 5 room mates, lives with their parents or is in a relationship with someone who they share finances, who is also gainfully employed. a household income of 80k or so should be workable in the city, not living large, but workable, i would think - especially without a car or other expenses like student loans.

good for compass. they are trying.

R3awak3n
01-17-2019, 07:04 PM
Interestingly my first job in Seattle I was making 45k, this was in 2007. I was just fine and lived on that salary for 2 solid years. My then gf was working and were had a pretty good life.

However, Seattle has changed, a lot. Prices for housing and food are out of control there so I bet 45k in Seattle is not so good anymore now a days. However, if you are young, have a roomate or 2, it is not that bad of a job. Also the hours are pretty good and seems like a cool job and some people will be ok with it

Kirk007
01-17-2019, 07:18 PM
everyone needs to start somewhere, and this could be the right move for a younger person who doesnt mind 5 room mates, lives with their parents or is in a relationship with someone who they share finances, who is also gainfully employed. a household income of 80k or so should be workable in the city, not living large, but workable, i would think - especially without a car or other expenses like student loans.

good for compass. they are trying.

no argument there (good for Compass) and when I first saw the post I thought that salary wasn't bad from a generic perspective and entry level for the bike business is pretty good. But, unless its live with the parent type scenario, factor in rent of about at least $800 a month, not including utilities, for a room in a shared house, so about $1000 a month for housing. Food is expensive. The state tax scheme is extremely regressive with 9.8 percent sales tax. yada, yada.

I've paid entry level staff 45-48K, with health care covered over the past two years and they are barely making it, commuting 1.5 hours by bus or train, and won't stay around long at those salaries. $55-58K is around what I need to pay for an entry level college grade who is a solid worker. That's why I'm moving our operations.

charliedid
01-17-2019, 07:55 PM

Good bike shops are loaded with educated and often overly educated people. But maybe you know that...

Bruce K
01-17-2019, 08:06 PM
A qualified bike mechanic with a college degree could be someone who chose their passion over maximum income.

Unfortunately they usually means they are barely making ends meet

BK

charliedid
01-17-2019, 08:12 PM
A qualified bike mechanic with a college degree could be someone who chose their passion over maximum income.

Unfortunately they usually means they are barely making ends meet

BK

Tell me about it.

jtakeda
01-17-2019, 08:24 PM
If that job was available next year I’d take it—assuming the 50% coin flip between Seattle and Santa Rosa lands on seattle

Calnago
01-17-2019, 08:35 PM
I’d apply except I have cyclists arms and can’t lift 50lbs. It’s always something.
[edit]: not really, my arms are fat too. But I still can’t lift 50lbs.

fiamme red
12-08-2019, 10:59 PM
https://www.renehersecycles.com/job-opening-at-rene-herse-cycles/

We’ve got a job opening at Rene Herse Cycles. Are you dreaming of working on beautiful bikes, assembling dazzling cranks and brakes, and chatting about amazing rides all day long? The reality is not quite as glamorous, but we’ve got a good team, good compensation and benefits, plus the potential for long-term, stable employment.

As Operations Assistant, you’d run our warehouse, keep track of inventory, assemble the aforementioned cranks and brakes and ship them to our customers, plus update our web site and Bicycle Quarterly subscriber database. It’s a great job for somebody who enjoys doing many tasks and wearing many hats, yet wants stable employment (40 hours/week) with full benefits. Click here for a detailed job description: https://www.renehersecycles.com/jobs/.

jtakeda
12-08-2019, 11:22 PM
https://www.renehersecycles.com/job-opening-at-rene-herse-cycles/

I really liked the job description before and thought the timing sucked. Unfortunately Swedish didn’t offer my girlfriend an interview slot and if they did I would apply for this job.

As a college graduate who’s pretty financially savvy with no debt I could totally make it work on that income and enjoy doing all the tasks in the job description.

marciero
12-09-2019, 05:35 AM

I disagree.

This does not sound like a garden variety wrenching job. How many wrenching jobs advertise "good communication skills" and require writing, managing database, etc. The "assist with operations" seems broad enough that duties could expand into things that make use of particular talents and interests of the person. The fact that a college degree is required says something. We know Rene Heres does testing, product development-all kinds of things. And this is a small operation. One could gain additional resume-enhancing skills and experience in a job like this.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2019, 07:49 AM

Interesting opportunity

BK
1. Help customers select the right components and answer their questions via e-mail.
2. Ship retail and wholesale orders.
3. Assemble the components we sell and the bikes we use for testing them.
4. Assist with the operations of the company.

Sounds more like a salesman, both in person and online plus as assembler/packer. BUT, pretty good $, benefits, etc.

Not a problem but not sure how 'college degree' would add to the 'mix'...AND, don't think the guy is there, in the trenches, doing tubeups on bikes brought in...

I think $45k would work in Seattle......IF

-he lives with his parents OR
-is a DINK, with somebody who makes as much or more $..

unterhausen
12-09-2019, 08:12 AM
it would work great for me, but wrong coast

sparky33
12-09-2019, 09:45 AM
9-2pm holy crap

My dream job, and not just the hours.

Perfect gig for a semi-retired tech-nerd cyclist needing a life change.

Jan Heine
12-09-2019, 11:57 AM
Agreed on the salary – the figure is the starting salary, not what the employee will make in the long run. As a small company, we can't afford to pay somebody a lot, train them, and then have them leave, so we pay them according to their contribution. It's more the Japanese/European model of bringing somebody into the company, training them and having them grow with us - also salary-wise. Our very first employee, Clark, is still with us after 11 years...

The job itself is everything on the fulfillment side of things, so there is a lot of variety. Not wrenching all day, but shipping, organizing, keeping track, updating web site, managing BQ subscriber database - all the stuff customers never see, but that keeps things running smoothly.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
Reborn in the Cascade Mountains
www.renehersecycles.com (https://www.renehersecycles.com)

no argument there (good for Compass) and when I first saw the post I thought that salary wasn't bad from a generic perspective and entry level for the bike business is pretty good. But,