PDA

View Full Version : The Pull with DK, Part 2

572cv
01-17-2019, 01:30 PM
The second part of "The Pull" with David Kirk is up on RKP. Another great listen.

http://redkiteprayer.com/2019/01/the-pull-dave-kirk-part-ii/

It is so refreshing to hear him talk about his craft, what about it is exciting. All genuine, and certainly illuminating. Of no small interest here, as he made me this JKS last year. One thing not discussed in the interview regarding lugs vs fillets was that "if" your fit geo enables the use of lugs, then there will be more flexibility in choice of tubing. Fillets require a little more tube thickness at the joints, I am given to understand. This means that if you like or don't mind a lug look, it might even be a little lighter and have differently tuned ride characteristics. But of course that's what makes the interaction with DK fun and challenging, that you have, and have to make, choices.

zennmotion
01-17-2019, 06:05 PM
The second part of "The Pull" with David Kirk is up on RKP. Another great listen.

http://redkiteprayer.com/2019/01/the-pull-dave-kirk-part-ii/

It is so refreshing to hear him talk about his craft, what about it is exciting. All genuine, and certainly illuminating. Of no small interest here, as he made me this JKS last year. One thing not discussed in the interview regarding lugs vs fillets was that "if" your fit geo enables the use of lugs, then there will be more flexibility in choice of tubing. Fillets require a little more tube thickness at the joints, I am given to understand. This means that if you like or don't mind a lug look, it might even be a little lighter and have differently tuned ride characteristics. But of course that's what makes the interaction with DK fun and challenging, that you have, and have to make, choices.

Beautiful Kirk! My Spectrum was constructed by first tig welding custom lugs which were then silver brazed. Time consuming extra step but that's how Tom and Jeff make them using a mix of tubing as they see fit. I love the look of fillet construction though, that would be my choice if I ordered a Kirk- and I might just!

Clean39T
01-17-2019, 06:31 PM
Dave's comment [paraphrasing] about fillets in part being for folks who like to go for a ride and come home and clean their bike, crack a beer, and admire it in the stand was just a little too spot-on for comfort :banana: [emoji481]

I think my next Kirk will be lugged, just to do something different - but we'll see. Depends a bit on the style I go for... Currently want a JKS version of my CSI - but I more need a monstercross/gravel setup.

Back on topic - I hadn't heard the story for the "JKS" before - that was cool. So was the run-through on the DKS history.

FWIW - Dave's explanation of how terraplane stays work completely jives with my experience. It's hard to put into words. Or to explain without sounding like you are engaging in a lot of confirmation bias - but if you ride it, you'll know.

Overall just a great listen. Hopefully it introduces a new group of folks to Dave's work and results in some extra orders (and Paceline memberships?)..

bironi
01-17-2019, 07:06 PM
I liked his last comments about looks vs ride.
I wish someone in my neighborhood rode one that I could hop on.
That's my favorite thing to do.
Swap a bike with someone my size.
Try it.
People who love bikes love to do it.

AngryScientist
01-17-2019, 07:08 PM
excellent. listed to part one on the plane coming on Monday, will listen to part II tomorrow flying out. good timing!

enjoyed part one very much. good stuff.

Morgul Bismark
01-17-2019, 08:59 PM
Overall just a great listen. Hopefully it introduces a new group of folks to Dave's work and results in some extra orders (and Paceline memberships?)..
FWIW, I followed the Kirk Frameworks thread for a while before finally joining Paceline. It has been the one thread that kept my interest over time.

Two weeks ago I started the process of getting a frame from Dave. So the timing of the podcast is working out nicely in my case as I look forward to a new build.

Bradford
01-18-2019, 05:47 PM
What a wonderful podcast. I listened to it twice in the last two days, once yesterday by myself and then I played it for my 12 year old son on the way to Winter Park. I wanted him to hear how a talented man moves from sweeping floors to a fulfilling life of excellence. I enjoyed it the second time through just as much as the first.

I don't have any bike needs left, but I've wanted one of Dave's bikes since the first time I saw the Teraplane stay and that podcast made me want one even more. Time to start putting a few dollars in a jar every week until I have enough to send up to Bozeman. Then again, I think I'll drive the jar up myself and take Dave up on his suggestion to bring a bike and go for a ride.

Clean39T
01-18-2019, 06:09 PM
FWIW, I followed the Kirk Frameworks thread for a while before finally joining Paceline. It has been the one thread that kept my interest over time.

Two weeks ago I started the process of getting a frame from Dave. So the timing of the podcast is working out nicely in my case as I look forward to a new build.

That's awesome! Welcome to the Forum - and to the growing family of DK aficionados...

What are some of the design parameters you're considering?

Clean39T
01-18-2019, 06:15 PM
I wanted him to hear how a talented man moves from sweeping floors to a fulfilling life of excellence.

Be sure to show your son this pic too: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsvtsMyFSYc/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Keep saving those pennies - every one of them will be worth it when the time comes...

weisan
01-18-2019, 07:25 PM
Just finished listening to part 2.

If you haven't get the chance to listen to the podcast, you are missing a great deal.

Dave is articulate, honest, righteous, has a good sense of humor and easy to listen to.

The interviewer is skilful and did a great job with the content and fielding very good questions.

I don't listen to a lot of podcasts because I can't sit still and I can't multi task but this one is well worth my undivided attention and dedicated time.

Thank you Dave pal.

Morgul Bismark
01-18-2019, 08:54 PM
That's awesome! Welcome to the Forum - and to the growing family of DK aficionados...
Thanks for the welcome!

What are some of the design parameters you're considering?
Originally I was after an Onesto. However, after working with Dave we recently came to agreement on a final design for a lugged JKS. Now I just need to decide on a color scheme (no small task).

Clean39T
01-18-2019, 09:28 PM
Originally I was after an Onesto. However, after working with Dave we recently came to agreement on a final design for a lugged JKS. Now I just need to decide on a color scheme (no small task).

Excellent. A lugged JKS is on my list for sure...

Deciding on paint isn't easy - but rest assured JB will deliver on whatever you can dream up.

pdonk
01-19-2019, 06:00 AM
The DK discussions were really good. Part of me wishes I'd gone with him for the new bike.

I also went back into the archives and there are quite a few with other interesting people.

As I have a 45 minute drive each way to work they are perfect.

GParkes
01-19-2019, 08:46 PM
In August of 2013 I had the privilege of having my own version of these RKP podcasts, but for about four hours in person at Kirk Frameworks world headquarters. Heard much of the same in the podcasts as I did sitting with Dave, and still so interesting. I live about 20 minutes from Saratoga and watched Serotta evolve from late 80's to mid-2000's and it was so fascinating. Knew a few people who worked there, had a couple of guided tours around the shops by Ben himself. So many people critical of Ben's business acumen, but there can be no argument regarding the quality of the product, and the skill of the craftsmen like Dave. I sold a truck to pay for my custom DK, hich is my prized possession. More importantly, he's a great guy.

Clean39T
01-20-2019, 12:42 AM
In August of 2013 I had the privilege of having my own version of these RKP podcasts, but for about four hours in person at Kirk Frameworks world headquarters. Heard much of the same in the podcasts as I did sitting with Dave, and still so interesting. I live about 20 minutes from Saratoga and watched Serotta evolve from late 80's to mid-2000's and it was so fascinating. Knew a few people who worked there, had a couple of guided tours around the shops by Ben himself. So many people critical of Ben's business acumen, but there can be no argument regarding the quality of the product, and the skill of the craftsmen like Dave. I sold a truck to pay for my custom DK, hich is my prized possession. More importantly, he's a great guy.

Very nice. Have you posted any pics of your Kirk?

GParkes
01-20-2019, 07:11 AM
Very nice. Have you posted any pics of your Kirk?

See here a few quickies

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=168765

Clean39T
01-20-2019, 01:10 PM
See here a few quickies

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=168765Love the color choice - we need some Glamour shots tho :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk