PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Club: Personal Accident Coverage

Clean39T
01-16-2019, 11:47 AM
https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/rcc/yellow-jersey

If it's feasible to access the benefits once something happens, I'd say $200/yr is a pretty cheap buy-in.

Just wish there was a clubhouse in Portland...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

andeww
01-16-2019, 12:06 PM
yes, how do they not have one in Portland? seems like the right demo

zap
01-16-2019, 12:09 PM
Looks like UK only.

Clean39T
01-16-2019, 12:20 PM
Looks like UK only.Coverage is only in the UK? How'd I miss that...

muz
01-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Looks like UK only.

Where does it say that?

Heisenberg
01-16-2019, 01:06 PM
Where does it say that?

It doesn't. Read through the policy on Yellow Jersey - looks to be global, unless you fancy riding your bike in mideast war zones.

Bentley
01-16-2019, 01:28 PM
If just for insurance the fee for what you get is not good. You get 100 Pounds Sterling for your $200 US fee. Obviously the Club comes with other benefits, but $130 to $150 does little to get you out of a bicycle "accident"

Ray

rain dogs
01-16-2019, 01:31 PM
Most cycling federations have similar insurance included when you buy your annual license. Mine is cheaper as well. That is usually offered for everything from being a ciclo-tourist through to Elite racing.

charliedid
01-16-2019, 01:33 PM
https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/rcc/yellow-jersey

If it's feasible to access the benefits once something happens, I'd say $200/yr is a pretty cheap buy-in.

Just wish there was a clubhouse in Portland...

I don't understand why they don't have one in Portland. Isn't Rapha USA based in Portland or did that change?

zap
01-16-2019, 01:58 PM
Coverage is only in the UK? How'd I miss that...

meant to type UK residents. I was flipping through pages quickly and honestly, I may have gone to a page regarding insurance for bicycles.

Clean39T
01-16-2019, 02:34 PM
If just for insurance the fee for what you get is not good. You get 100 Pounds Sterling for your $200 US fee. Obviously the Club comes with other benefits, but $130 to $150 does little to get you out of a bicycle "accident"

RayThe coverage goes waaay beyond that...

R3awak3n
01-16-2019, 02:49 PM
seems kinda similar to strava?

This is a great addition to RCC but RCC is only worth it if you have a club nearby so you can get the free coffee (or if you constantly traver to a place with a club and you going to rent the bikes)

rcnute
01-16-2019, 03:13 PM
It doesn't. Read through the policy on Yellow Jersey - looks to be global, unless you fancy riding your bike in mideast war zones.

Looks UK specific. They'd probably need state by state permission to sell policies in the US, so it doesn't seem likely to be offered here.

I only skimmed it but the coverage doesn't appear to be particularly expansive or generous benefits

Ryan

R3awak3n
01-16-2019, 03:29 PM
I don't think they would be emailing US people if it was just UK but I could be wrong.

muz
01-16-2019, 03:54 PM
Looks UK specific. They'd probably need state by state permission to sell policies in the US, so it doesn't seem likely to be offered here.

Yes, that would be true if they were to SELL policies, but this is offered free to RCC members.

cgolvin
01-16-2019, 04:05 PM
During our end of year celebration our local RCC coordinator told us this was initially to be offered in the UK then rolling out to other geos. Since they sent email today announcing this I believe it applies to all RCC members irrespective of location (though they do say that benefits, while stated in GBP, will be paid in local currency).

Lots of discussion (read: griping) among members about value for money of the membership. R3awak3n is correct, IMO, in his assessment of the questionable value if you don't live near a clubhouse. I think Rapha should price the "international" (i.e., not in a clubhouse city) membership differently but perhaps those members underwrite some of the benefits.

Another change this year: limit one coffee per member per day. They're trying to discourage the trend of local non-cyclists joining because $200 is much less than they spend on coffee annually.

I think that Rapha US customer service is still in Portland but they moved distribution to KY.

R3awak3n
01-16-2019, 04:44 PM
During our end of year celebration our local RCC coordinator told us this was initially to be offered in the UK then rolling out to other geos. Since they sent email today announcing this I believe it applies to all RCC members irrespective of location (though they do say that benefits, while stated in GBP, will be paid in local currency).

Lots of discussion (read: griping) among members about value for money of the membership. R3awak3n is correct, IMO, in his assessment of the questionable value if you don't live near a clubhouse. I think Rapha should price the "international" (i.e., not in a clubhouse city) membership differently but perhaps those members underwrite some of the benefits.

Another change this year: limit one coffee per member per day. They're trying to discourage the trend of local non-cyclists joining because $200 is much less than they spend on coffee annually.

I think that Rapha US customer service is still in Portland but they moved distribution to KY.

interesting. I did not see the limit 1 coffee per member per day, where did you see that?

I mean, it is still a good deal in the end and most of the times I only had 1 coffee but I have gone there and got a coffee for a friend and got it for free as part of my 2 coffees a day thing. I heard that in NYC there are a lot of people that don't even ride bikes, they just members for the coffee... I would not be surprised, its an insane deal.. And coffee, at least in NYC one, is pretty good.

kaotic28
01-16-2019, 05:02 PM
The insurance benefit is a nice perk, especially since they’re no longer offering Rapha travel anymore (where RCC members got free bike hire)
The free coffee is a great perk (especially since it applies to all espresso and tea drinks as well)
Since I commute to work and pass by the clubhouse here I get one daily on my ride in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgolvin
01-16-2019, 05:37 PM
interesting. I did not see the limit 1 coffee per member per day, where did you see that?

I mean, it is still a good deal in the end and most of the times I only had 1 coffee but I have gone there and got a coffee for a friend and got it for free as part of my 2 coffees a day thing. I heard that in NYC there are a lot of people that don't even ride bikes, they just members for the coffee... I would not be surprised, its an insane deal.. And coffee, at least in NYC one, is pretty good.

Our coordinator delivered that bad news at the year end party. The official benefits for 2019 lists "one complimentary coffee per day at Rapha clubhouses". I heard the same thing about NYC last year, then the same here, and that those people were using the clubhouse as a remote work space, diminishing the cycling vibe, hence the change in policy. And the coffee's pretty good here too -- hopefully one day you'll get to sample it before we enjoy a ride together.

R3awak3n
01-16-2019, 09:26 PM
Our coordinator delivered that bad news at the year end party. The official benefits for 2019 lists "one complimentary coffee per day at Rapha clubhouses". I heard the same thing about NYC last year, then the same here, and that those people were using the clubhouse as a remote work space, diminishing the cycling vibe, hence the change in policy. And the coffee's pretty good here too -- hopefully one day you'll get to sample it before we enjoy a ride together.

:hello:

Still a good perk, specially if the coffee is actually good.

I just looked on the site and there are pictures of the 2019 sign up kit, which is a new hat, tire levers and this bottle cage holder thingy, do we get that for reuping the membership?

cgolvin
01-16-2019, 09:55 PM
:hello:

Still a good perk, specially if the coffee is actually good.

I just looked on the site and there are pictures of the 2019 sign up kit, which is a new hat, tire levers and this bottle cage holder thingy, do we get that for reuping the membership?

Yep, still a good perk, and that's what you get for committing in 2019. I like the cap more than the last couple of years' but am not sure about the tool holder since I almost always ride with two water bottles (ooh, sorry Rapha, I meant to say 'bidons'). Maybe it could displace my tool roll and go in my jersey pocket but I'm guessing it's too bulky for that.

pasadena
01-16-2019, 10:35 PM
that's really fantastic coverage for rcc, great additional benefit.
nice they are pretty comprehensive, with travel, physical and gadgets

rcc is completely a bargain if you travel. The clubhouses are such a great resource for local tips and group rides.
I've only visited my local clubhouse once, ever. Still nice to know it's there.