PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Panaracer tires, does anyone here use them?

zmalwo
01-15-2019, 07:16 PM
Does anyone here use Panaracer tires? I like stuff that's made in Japan and I've read good review about them, but I would like to hear them from someone who's been using them alot. How are they compare to GP 4000s tires? Mileage, protection, weight, rolling resistance wise? Thanks ahead.

HenryA
01-15-2019, 07:28 PM
One of the best tires made. I have used the Race Type D for about 10 years or so. Very well made, durable, light, nearly puncture proof and they ride nicely.

I also use the Pacenti 650 MTB tires made by Panaracer. The same comments apply as the road tires.

Red Tornado
01-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Had a set of Panaracer Stradius road bike tires several years ago. Had a series of flats in both front & rear. Replaced with Vittoria.

Back in the day, tho, I loved my 1.9 Smoke & 2.1 Dart for XC. They were awesome in the 90's.

AdamSklar
01-15-2019, 07:31 PM
The Gravel King is one of my favorite tires for a faster gravel/offraod tire. Really nice Durability/weight ratio in the 5 or 6 months I had them on my gravel bike.

livesadventure
01-15-2019, 07:38 PM
I’ve used GravelKing slicks and small knobs in many sizes and love them. Pretty light, well priced and durable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weisan
01-15-2019, 07:41 PM
These are the ones that I have personally used that came from Panaracer.

All 700cc unless specified:
Pasela TG 32-35mm
Pasela PT 32mm
GravelKing SK 40mm
GravelKing SK 35mm
GravelKing 32mm
Pacenti Pari-Moto 650bx38mm

In general, they are all high quality and suitable for their intended use.
Satisfied customer.

How are they compare to GP 4000s tires?

Not really comparing apples to apples.
The above mentioned panaracer tires were used in touring, gravel, off-road and commuting settings. They strike a good balance between durability and ride quality.

GP 4000s is not as durable, gives a better ride and used only for roads of fairly good condition.

veggieburger
01-15-2019, 07:51 PM
How are they compare to GP 4000s tires? Mileage, protection, weight, rolling resistance wise? Thanks ahead.

Which model of Panaracer tire are you referring to? We talking Stradius or Pasela? Makes a huge difference for head to head comparisons.

zmalwo
01-15-2019, 08:08 PM
Which model of Panaracer tire are you referring to? We talking Stradius or Pasela? Makes a huge difference for head to head comparisons.

from what I saw race type D evo 3 is pretty much equivalent to continental gator skin. Was referring to Type D evo 3 vs gp 4000s ii

rccardr
01-15-2019, 08:10 PM
I'm using a pair of Gravel Kings (the not for gravel kind) in size 26, brownwall, on my Canyon Endurace SL. Mounts up just a tick over 27mm on the DT rims. I like 'em, would compare them favorably to a 4000SII or Rubino Pro. Had no trouble keeping up with fairly fast company on a couple of recent 50+ mile rides, no flats yet, easy to mount.

Some people like the Pasela tire, others do not. I'm not a big fan.

Pasela also makes the Compass tires, which are really nice, supple, high quality tires, but tend to be on the 'spensive side. I use them on my 650B bike, they help to produce a wonderful ride

Kirk007
01-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Panaracer type D are way nicer than gatorskins. Type A are comparable to most high end clinchers. Evo comps away most clinchers for ride/suppleness and price (through Excel Sports).
ATMO of course.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

glepore
01-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Dude. Stop. Its an aero bike. You can play with tires all day long, and its still gonna feel like an aero bike. The newest generation not so much, but they're 5k more.

To answer your question, Panaracer makes Compass, and they're sorta equivalent if not identical. Great riding, somewhat less than robust.

If you bought my Technos, I'd want you on Grand Bois or Compass. On the Cento, well, its about speed over comfort bro.

zmalwo
01-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Dude. Stop. Its an aero bike. You can play with tires all day long, and its still gonna feel like an aero bike. The newest generation not so much, but they're 5k more.

To answer your question, Panaracer makes Compass, and they're sorta equivalent if not identical. Great riding, somewhat less than robust.

If you bought my Technos, I'd want you on Grand Bois or Compass. On the Cento, well, its about speed over comfort bro.

I'm actually in desperate need for a tire atm cuz the 28mm gp 4000s ii i fitted on the Cento rubs against chainstay. bought an overpriced michelin dynamic sport from giant store suing it for now but they are so bad. the extra vittoria you gave me is back in the states.

charliedid
01-15-2019, 09:01 PM
I'm actually in desperate need for a tire atm cuz the 28mm gp 4000s ii i fitted on the Cento rubs against chainstay. bought an overpriced michelin dynamic sport from giant store suing it for now but they are so bad. the extra vittoria you gave me is back in the states.

You want a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pro 25mm cheap? PM me

Tommasini53
01-15-2019, 09:03 PM
The Gravel King is one of my favorite tires for a faster gravel/offraod tire. Really nice Durability/weight ratio in the 5 or 6 months I had them on my gravel bike.

+1
been using GK-SK on gravel. very durable. seem to measure out a little larger than the advertised size. 35mm measures 38mm on the rim. great buy.

Geeheeb
01-15-2019, 09:11 PM
big fan of the tires, but not the website

herb5998
01-15-2019, 09:21 PM
Really good! Use the Evo Type A tubeless, mounts easy and is hard wearing. Great grip and very smooth.

MagicHour
01-15-2019, 10:22 PM
Another happy panaracer user - Gravel king 700x28; durable and surefooted on poor road surface, light enough and decent ride quality to not feel like a compromise. They do get pretty beat up after ~1500mi but that could be just as much a road quality issue.

Ronsonic
01-15-2019, 10:41 PM

The tire the Giant store sold you is so bad and overpriced you're suing them?

mhespenheide
01-16-2019, 12:17 AM
The tire the Giant store sold you is so bad and overpriced you're suing them?

Pretty sure it's a typo and he meant to say "...using it for now..." That's only two letters exchanged.

I wondered the same thing, first time I read it!

Hilltopperny
01-16-2019, 05:06 AM
I've been using gravel king slicks for years in various sizes and really prefer them over Continental. I also use Compass which are a bit swankier, but still made by panaracer. I have some 650b Soma grand randonnuer tires and panaracer Evo race gravel that are also very nice tires and used Paselas in the past as well.

Panaracer produces some of the best made tires on the planet and plenty can be had for a very reasonable price!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

glepore
01-16-2019, 08:23 AM
What i was getting at was to use the vittoria i tossed in with the bike. You can try a different wheelset but the combination of tight clearance and stay flex on the cento uno makes it prone to tubbing out if the saddle. Run 25s

MikeD
01-16-2019, 09:31 AM
I have some Compass tires made by Panaracer. What struck me was they are very round dimensionally, at least compared to some Continental and WTB tires I've used.

kaotic28
01-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Compass Bon Jon's are nice and plush, but for the price/value I think the GK slicks are better, just wish they came in 35's.

simonov
01-16-2019, 03:06 PM
Panaracer type D are way nicer than gatorskins. Type A are comparable to most high end clinchers. Evo comps away most clinchers for ride/suppleness and price (through Excel Sports).
ATMO of course.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

This. The Race A EVO3 are a very good all around clincher equivalent to the performance oriented options from other companies. Great tires. a little slower rolling, at least in perception, than the GP4000, but they roll nicely enough and corner great. Maybe more equivalent to the Michelin Pro4 Endurance. The Race L EVO3 are excellent, but less durable.

redir
01-16-2019, 03:31 PM
Back in the day they sponsored my team. I cannot remember what tires I was using but they were my very favorite tire. Super grippy for cornering. They did wear out fast but that's the price you pay for a good tire imho. They remind me of my new favorite clincher, Veloflex Masters.

philhan89
01-17-2019, 12:59 AM
love panaracers, was a conti guy but after trying panaracer not going back. all around good tires from weight to durability, wear rate, price. its a supple tire. everyone seems to like gravel kings, but its the only panaracer I wouldnt buy again, but its also affordable. my only complaint is that the race series are a bitch to mount. and if one was to have a puncture in cold wet winter months, well that would suck.