PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Chains for Dura Ace?

orbea65
11-20-2006, 12:38 PM
I have DA 10 speed. The DA chain works great so far, but I want a chain that I can use a quick link with. And based on the posts on the forum, its hard to say for sure whether or not it is safe to use a wipperman or similar link on a DA chain.
So....what is the best aftermarket chain, function-wise, that has a quick link, to use on DA 10 drivetrain?? Any experience with KMC? Wipperman Nickel?

thx!

iffyjoe
11-20-2006, 12:45 PM
For starters you can certainly use a Ultegra chain. That'll save you a couple of bucks. From what I hear you can use a snap link though I've never tried one. All the wrenches I've talked with say the only time to remove the chain is when you replace it. I've used both Ultegras and DA's and if you keep them clean they're usually good for 2,000 miles.

orbea65
11-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Well, when you have a chain with a quick link, it is easy and safe to remove to get it really clean. I agree that Ultegra would be a fine chain, but thats not really my issue. The Shimano chains don't have a quick link, and as I mentioned, there seems to be mixed opinions about using a connex link on a shimano chain...

Squint
11-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Use a Forster link. I've been using one with 10-spd Shimano for 7,000 mi so far and around a decade with 8 and 9-spd Shimano chains.

ClutchCargo
11-20-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm using a connexx-type link with a DA 10 speed chain. I asked my LBS if it was possible to do it and they said "sure, so long as you use a link designed for a 10 speed chain". Sorry but I don't remember what brand the link is (and am not at home to go out to the garage and look at it) -- don't think it's Wipperman or SRAM. :( But it has worked fine for the 700 or so miles that I've put on it so far.

Ride on!

orbea65
11-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Use a Forster link. I've been using one with 10-spd Shimano for 7,000 mi so far and around a decade with 8 and 9-spd Shimano chains.

Where can you get these?

dave thompson
11-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Another option might be IRD chains, which come with a quick link. http://www.interlocracing.com/chains.html I've used IRD 9-speed chains very successfully for the past two years and if I ever convert to 10-speed. I'll use their chains in that application.

Edit: After searching their website, it appears they have a quick link for Shimano 10 speeds. http://store.interlocracing.com/10snli.html

Squint
11-20-2006, 01:30 PM
http://www.lickbike.com/sectionsublist.aspx?SECTION='0051'&SUBSECTION='150'&SECTIONNAME='Chains'&SUBSECTIONNAME='CONNECTORS'

Reusable, no noise, and tools-free installation and removal.

orbea65
11-20-2006, 01:36 PM
http://www.lickbike.com/sectionsublist.aspx?SECTION='0051'&SUBSECTION='150'&SECTIONNAME='Chains'&SUBSECTIONNAME='CONNECTORS'

Reusable, no noise, and tools-free installation and removal.

Thanks, just called and ordered a few of them, hopefully it'll do the trick! :beer:

Serotta PETE
11-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I know folks who use the Shimano and Connex without problems. For me in less that 100 miles the pin worked out and locked up the drive train, ripped the rear Der off, bent hanger, and gouged carbon. Frame is now in Saratoga Springs for repair.

Do not know what caused the pin to work out and at this point it does not matter. Luckily I was going up a hill when it locked up and not down the hill.

I will stick with the standard and change every 2500 miles.... A chain is far cheaper than the exposure and also I like the shifting of a crisp chain.

Not trying to say what is best just saying "Things Happen"

PETE

Well, when you have a chain with a quick link, it is easy and safe to remove to get it really clean. I agree that Ultegra would be a fine chain, but thats not really my issue. The Shimano chains don't have a quick link, and as I mentioned, there seems to be mixed opinions about using a connex link on a shimano chain...

fjaws
11-20-2006, 02:00 PM
The Mavic 10-speed chain is a beautiful piece of kit, comes stock with a quick-link, and works flawlessly on DA 10 speed.

EnduroFit
11-20-2006, 02:43 PM
using the SRAM 10 spd chain on my DA for a couple of weeks and it works fine too.

Brent

Johnnyg
11-20-2006, 04:25 PM
I am running a SCRAM of late. It seems smoother that the Wipperman. Thse hollow pin SCRAM. Mavic works well also. Happy Thanksgiving

jemoryl
11-20-2006, 04:26 PM
The Mavic 10-speed chain is a beautiful piece of kit, comes stock with a quick-link, and works flawlessly on DA 10 speed.

These are supposed to be the same as a Wipperman nickel plated chain, FWIW.

Dave
11-20-2006, 05:37 PM
It is perfectly safe to use the Campy 10 version of the wipperman connex link with the DA chain. It's as perfect a fit as you could ask for. The shimano version of the connex is too narrow for the DA 10 chain. The suitabliity of a connector link for a chain is easily determined by measuring the clearance between the inner and outer sideplates, at the connector. You want .004 to .008 inch of clearance, which is easily measured with feeler gages.
The new Campy ultra narrow chain should also work well, but it takes the shimano version of the connex link to fit properly.

I've got a bike with each of these combinations and I've had no problems. Problems occur when people install a connector link, but don't bother to verify a proper fit. If a link is too tight, the side forces may break the ends off the pins when the chain is run at much of an angle.

72gmc
11-20-2006, 07:14 PM
These are supposed to be the same as a Wipperman nickel plated chain, FWIW.

The Mavic seems to be a Wipperman with Mavic branding, but the best part is it's cheaper than the Wipp. At least in these parts. Only difference I can tell is it comes in bulk packaging instead of a display-ready box.

pdxmech13
11-20-2006, 08:01 PM
....I just don't understand all this
neddin' to take chains of business :confused: :confused:

fishbolish
11-20-2006, 09:31 PM
had a new d-ace 10 chain on my quiring last year,Kept snapping the chain @ the link(3 times)one time almost taking off my derailleur,Replaced it with a wipperman stainless chain (with the quick link)& havent had a problem since. you can also use the wipperman titanium link on a d-ace 10 chain(will keep you updated on that ONE.....

jemoryl
11-20-2006, 10:09 PM
The Mavic seems to be a Wipperman with Mavic branding, but the best part is it's cheaper than the Wipp. At least in these parts. Only difference I can tell is it comes in bulk packaging instead of a display-ready box.

But have you seen the pricing on the nickle plated Wipperman at Lickton's? Very good deal last time I looked. I'm using the KMC DX-10 and am quite happy with that chain so far....

bpm
11-21-2006, 07:03 AM
I use both Dura-Ace and Ultegra chains with a Wipperman Connex link with absolutley no problems. Been doing it for two seasons so far with no issues. I'm told the SRAM links will work also, but I haven't tried them so I'm just passing along second hand information.

Vancouverdave
11-21-2006, 09:15 AM
I have been selling KMC quick links with Shimano 10 chains--no problems so far.

coylifut
11-21-2006, 10:04 AM
I know folks who use the Shimano and Connex without problems. For me in less that 100 miles the pin worked out and locked up the drive train, ripped the rear Der off, bent hanger, and gouged carbon. Frame is now in Saratoga Springs for repair.

Do not know what caused the pin to work out and at this point it does not matter. Luckily I was going up a hill when it locked up and not down the hill.

I will stick with the standard and change every 2500 miles.... A chain is far cheaper than the exposure and also I like the shifting of a crisp chain.

Not trying to say what is best just saying "Things Happen"

PETE

Pete. I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I can clearly see why using a link will not be in your future - ever. Gouged carbon. Ouch, that hurts.

I've been using the Wipperman link that says for Shimano on the box for about 10,000 miles. I once had a SRAM link release on my mountain bike the day after I installed it. Since I've been using those on both my cross bikes, rain bike and mountain bike for a few years, I could only conclude I had installed it wrong. I was truly out in the middle of no where, but luckily I always carry a spare SRAM and ConneX in my saddle bag.

theprep
11-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Those master links do wear out at the same rate as the chain. Don't keep using the old master link with new chains.

pdxmech13
11-21-2006, 09:18 PM
I always thought the plain bearing wore more prematurly than the post it rest on. :confused: :confused: