PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky SPD pedals and other questions

Lewis Moon
01-15-2019, 07:58 AM
So, I've been experiencing the dreaded squeaky SPD pedal syndrome. I spray a bit of Pledge on my shoes and it goes away ...for one (maybe) ride. Any suggestions for a longer lasting cure? It's not the pedal.

What are the signs of a worn out SPD cleat? I was sprinting up a 14% hill and I pulled a foot out of my XTR pedal. I hate that. Really hate that.

Do Velocity A23 rims have problems at the joint? I'm getting an ugly scraping noise out of my rear wheel and the joint looks a bit misaligned.

I ordered a set of straddle cables for my Paul Touring cantis and they're way too thick. About half again as thick as my Campy brake cables. Really. I like a bit more flexibility there. Who makes a thinner straddle cable with a little grippy thing to make it easier to unhook?

Thanks!

batman1425
01-15-2019, 08:11 AM
Provided the tension is set correctly, pulling out of the pedal is a good sign that your cleats are due for replacement. Excessive slop or float is a good indicator as well, though this usually slowly increases over time so it can be hard to notice if you are gradually getting used to it. I suspect when you change them you'll be amazed at how worn yours actually were.

You might find that the new cleats are also quiet if the slop is reduced. If not, a couple drops of tri-flow or a dry chain oil does the trick for me.

GregL
01-15-2019, 08:29 AM
I use Shimano M780 SPDs with Specialized carbon sole MTB shoes on my gravel bike. The squeaks drove me crazy! After much trial and error, I found that Boeshield T-9 applied to the areas of the shoes that interfaced with the flat areas of the pedals quieted the noise. I apply the Boeshield to the shoes and let it dry before riding.

Greg

Mike Bryant
01-15-2019, 08:55 AM
Finish Line makes a Pedal and Cleat Lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony
01-15-2019, 09:46 AM
You might find that the new cleats are also quiet if the slop is reduced.

I would start with new cleats as mentioned above, the slop that has developed may be the cause. I had this same issue and found the problem was the way the shoe sole interfaces with the pedal. I removed some material off the sole (very little) and it stopped the squeaking. You can also try a wax based lube like Squirt, may do a better job than Pledge.

John H.
01-15-2019, 11:23 AM
I have gone through this- New cleats might help, and the aforementioned Finish Line lube for cleats and pedals might also help.

But the main issue is shoe/pedal interface. The rubber on some shoes doesn't fit that well against the pedal bodies. And this rubber wears over time.

I had the same issue with SPD and Time pedals- Ultimately was unable to resolve.

The fix that worked best for me was moving to Crank Bros pedals- Eggbeaters and Candy.
I used the size 2 plastic accessory shims that fit onto the body of each side of the spindle. This takes up all of the slop and allows for a creak and noice free pedal.