PDA

View Full Version : LS shell with pit zips?

vqdriver
01-14-2019, 07:23 PM
being in socal, i try to avoid buying cold weather gear that'll see little use. but it's been a cold year (or i'm just a wimp) and i think im going to break down and buy an actual long sleeve shell. not quite cold enough to require insulation, i just want to stop the wind from cutting thru me. but for as long as i've been riding, i know shockingly little of these things and the one feature i really like in my hiking gear is pit zips. they provide a good amount of ventilation so i'm not steaming inside while still giving me wind protection. is this a thing in cycling? any recommendations?
fwiw, i'd prefer something not rapha-black but also not parking-attendant-dayglo. just normal looking

vqdriver
01-14-2019, 07:26 PM
alternatively, i would consider a heavier long sleeve jersey with something like gore windstopper on the front panel

Bentley
01-14-2019, 07:56 PM
Gabba/Perfetto sounds like what you describe. Long sleeve is the Perfetto

eddief
01-14-2019, 08:41 PM
i think hard to find those zips in jackets that are not considered to be more or less waterproof. often the waterproofness keeps ya dry from the top but causes a sauna on the inside that is helped by those zippers.

i wonder if there is a non-gore, non-coated jacket that includes pit zips.

This Craft baselayer with Windstopper might be an approach:

https://www.craftsportswear.com/B2C%20-%20Craft/all-products-7a58fca3/clothes/baselayer/1904505-9999-2707410d/

berserk87
01-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Gabba/Perfetto sounds like what you describe. Long sleeve is the Perfetto

The Gabba and the Perfetto are two separate garments, and both come in long as well as short sleeves.

The Gabba was the original Castelli wind proof and water resistant shell that was form fitting. Castelli saw a market need for a lighter garment that ventilates better, so they created the Perfetto. The Perfetto is lighter than the Gabba and the back is not wind proof. It's some type of polyester that ventilates better.

I have the Gabba in both long and short sleeves. My long sleeve has side vents in the rib area. They don't go call the way to the pits though. They do help a bit.

I have the Perfetto in short sleeves only. No vents.

I've got a Rapha Winter Windproof jersey that has vents that run almost all the way up each side, to the pits. It's the bees knees. It's windproof on the front. It's not very water resistant though. It's not black and comes in other colors, but it's probably too heavy for what you are looking for.

I had a Castelli rain jacket of some kind that I bought and returned due to fit issues. It had pit vents. Safe to say that they are indeed a thing in cycling gear. I wish I could offer more help but these are the only similar things that I can come up with off of the top of my head.

sillverchevy
01-14-2019, 09:47 PM
2nd the Perfetto, LS. Side vents, very versatile piece of kit

nublar
01-14-2019, 11:08 PM
Do you wear small? I'm in LA and might have something

paredown
01-15-2019, 07:09 AM
I'm a fan of my Assos Intermediate--long sleeve and light windblock on front. Add a light layer underneath if needed. They rate is as Spring/Fall so it ought to be fine for SoCal winters:)

livesadventure
01-15-2019, 07:40 PM
Very spendy but check out the Mission Workshop Meridian and Orion. Lightweight, amazing fit, comes in a few color and has pit zips.

They come with a lifetime guarantee which atmo makes the price much more reasonable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philhan89
01-15-2019, 11:27 PM
check out Pas Normal Studios Shield Jacket. Bay Area has been nasty recently and waterproof wise its worth checking out and its got those pit zips you were looking for.

Lovetoclimb
01-16-2019, 07:18 AM
The original Rapha softshell had put zips no?

Also the original Rapha winter jersey, equally as heavy a later but without any water resistance has zips more on the outside of the chest both sides. Allows a lot of airflow into the jersey without hitting your core, very nice.

charliedid
01-16-2019, 07:36 AM
Jerseys like the Gabba etc. are great if the temps stay constant. I would think light vest and light wind jacket would be more flexible since you can add or remove as needed. Truth is you need all this stuff :-)

I like the Ornot jacket

https://www.ornotbike.com/collections/mens-jerseys/products/code-wind-jacket-citron

vqdriver
01-16-2019, 11:18 AM
thanks for the suggestions. i'll take a look at these and see what looks good. i do like the castelli tho i've been hit and miss with their fit. i'm trying to stay away from the 'shell' like waterproof material. i already have rain shells and that stuff drives me nuts. loud and flaps in the wind.