PDA

View Full Version : Fatty Rumpkin, Jack Brown, Rolly Poly, Ruffy Tuffy

Veloo
01-14-2019, 07:08 PM
Browsing for some tires and came across these brands on PlanetX that I wasn't familiar with. Guess I know more of the mainstream names.

Fatty Rumpkin, Jack Brown, Rolly Poly, Ruffy Tuffy

Are these any good?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/wheels/tyres-and-tubes

charliedid
01-14-2019, 07:12 PM
Made by Panaracer

Many like them. I rode the Ruffy Tuffy for about 20 minutes and threw them out. Gatorskins feel supple by comparison IMO

Veloo
01-14-2019, 07:13 PM
Uh, oh. I was looking at those. What didn't you like about them?

Made by Panaracer

Many like them. I rode the Ruffy Tuffy for about 20 minutes and threw them out. Gatorskins feel supple by comparison IMO

charliedid
01-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Uh, oh. I was looking at those. What didn't you like about them?

Rode like a garden hose as they say. Harshest tire ever for me.

weisan
01-14-2019, 07:21 PM
https://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Bon-Jon-Pass-2_result.jpg

Blue Jays
01-14-2019, 08:21 PM
Rolly Poly had a sharp-looking tread design. Rivendell liked them for years.

adampaiva
01-14-2019, 08:34 PM
I would not compare them to Compass. Apples and Oranges. If you want supple, I’d look elsewhere. But I like the Rolly Polly I have on my commuter as they have been very puncture proof and lasted for ages and ages. But I wouldn’t put them on my supple life rando bike not my roadie.
If they are cheap once shipping is added I’ll probably buy a pair.

pobrien
01-14-2019, 09:37 PM
My Hilsen came with Jack Browns when I bought it from Riv. I liked the tires, they ran pretty fast. I switched to Ruffy TUffy tires due to many flats as the roads in northern Alberta were really bad.

The Gatorskins were worse than the Ruffy Tuffy, in my experience.

I reckon they would be good for commuting on rough roads. Not for run riding.

Clean39T
01-14-2019, 11:46 PM
Weisan-pal is right, but Jack Brown green-label are relatively supple and kit a sweet-spot for size for some bikes...

They are price-point tires though. If you can afford Compass for the build in question, get them.

dustyrider
01-14-2019, 11:52 PM
I had good luck with panaracers t-serv when I was a bike commuter. They used to come in a reflective sidewall if I recall which was a nice bonus.

witcombusa
01-15-2019, 04:04 AM
If you are trying to keep costs down the Panaracer Pasela is a MUCH better riding tire than the Ruffy Tuffy!

dancinkozmo
01-15-2019, 05:03 AM
+2 on paselas

sjbraun
01-15-2019, 06:22 AM
GravelKings- in 32 are great tires

zambenini
01-15-2019, 06:26 AM
have had great experience with jack brown greens. bon jons are nicer and the gold standrard, but I have kids now, so will I be buying bon jons again? can't affford. JBs or gravel kings are a-OK, though. Can't speak to the others. Jack Browns or paselas used to be that gold standard before compass. and the standard was still made by panaracer and was still fine.

Ken Robb
01-15-2019, 10:11 AM
I think Paselas are a reasonable compromise for non-racers seeking a tire that is quite durable and reasonably priced. If they still come both with/without Tourguard anti-puncture belt that may account for the differing opinions above.

charliedid
01-15-2019, 10:17 AM
My Hilsen came with Jack Browns when I bought it from Riv. I liked the tires, they ran pretty fast. I switched to Ruffy TUffy tires due to many flats as the roads in northern Alberta were really bad.

The Gatorskins were worse than the Ruffy Tuffy, in my experience.

I reckon they would be good for commuting on rough roads. Not for run riding.

Hey wait, we can't both be right?! I've never had such a sour reaction to a tire in my life! :-)

marsh
01-15-2019, 10:50 AM
I rolled Ruffy Tuffy's on the road bike for winter before the GravelKings came out. GK are the best bang for the buck. Rode from DC to the Delaware shore on 32's.

Veloo
01-15-2019, 11:21 AM
The tire will go onto the Lynskey so probably looking at 28s.

azrider
01-15-2019, 11:29 AM
I rolled Ruffy Tuffy's on the road bike for winter before the GravelKings came out. GK are the best bang for the buck. Rode from DC to the Delaware shore on 32's.

how would you compare the two durability wise ?

From what I'm gathering from this thread (so far) is that the GK's are best all around bang (durability, comfort, $$) for one's buck

adampaiva
01-15-2019, 01:53 PM
I have had no durability issues with my 28 mm Gravelkings. Not many punctures at all. I’d take a GK over the Ruffys / Rollys on ride quality (I have not tried Nack Browns) but my one complaint with GK’s is if you want a gum wall, their sidewall is that poop brown.