PDA

View Full Version : Apple watch and Strava

chunkylover53
01-14-2019, 12:32 PM
I'm thinking of buying an Apple watch, for a few reasons. I'm wondering: what is the experience like with Strava? I'm not a regular user of Strava, though I do record some of my rides. One of my main problems is that I don't really like carrying a phone (esp. on mtb rides), and I almost never use my bike computer/Garmin any longer. Is it pretty seamless? Could I start it at the beginning of the ride, then upload when home *with a minimum of hassle*? Thanks

foo_fighter
01-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Yes, it's super simple. Press once to start and once to stop (maybe choose an activity type). That's it. The new watches with GPS built in, have pretty decent battery life.

I'm thinking of buying an Apple watch, for a few reasons. I'm wondering: what is the experience like with Strava? I'm not a regular user of Strava, though I do record some of my rides. One of my main problems is that I don't really like carrying a phone (esp. on mtb rides), and I almost never use my bike computer/Garmin any longer. Is it pretty seamless? Could I start it at the beginning of the ride, then upload when home *with a minimum of hassle*? Thanks

Likes2ridefar
01-15-2019, 07:05 AM
I use it most every day and it works perfectly fine. I have the little strava icon on my watch screen I touch to open strava, and then press start ride and it begins recording.

After finishing it’s a simple swipe to one side to end ride then use the little wheel on the watch to scroll down and save the ride.

It is then uploaded to strava.

chunkylover53
01-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Sounds good, appreciate the feedback. I remember reading that on past versions of the watch it wasn't as straightforward, so this is reassuring.

kgbianchi
01-15-2019, 10:46 AM
Does the Apple Watch need to be pared with your phone throughout your workout on strava or can you use Strava and collect your workout data without your phone? (Assuming it is a gps version)

Likes2ridefar
01-15-2019, 02:51 PM
Does the Apple Watch need to be pared with your phone throughout your workout on strava or can you use Strava and collect your workout data without your phone? (Assuming it is a gps version)

No, the newer Apple Watch models have gps and operate without the phone. If that is the case, the upload to strava happens when it talks to the phone. Perhaps with the cellular version it will upload without the phone...unsure.

kgbianchi
01-15-2019, 03:07 PM
Thank you for the response!

No, the newer Apple Watch models have gps and operate without the phone. If that is the case, the upload to strava happens when it talks to the phone. Perhaps with the cellular version it will upload without the phone...unsure.

geordanh
01-16-2019, 01:50 PM
anyone have luck pairing a bluetooth power meter to their apple watch?

kppolich
01-16-2019, 01:53 PM
I think you'll need strava premium for power.

https://www.wareable.com/apple/best-apple-watch-cycling-apps-5639