PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area: is Bicycle Odyssey going away?

eddief
01-14-2019, 09:31 AM
I know we discussed a big sale there a while back, but this CL listing suggests maybe it is no longer the Bicycle Odyssey but is now the Sausalito Bicycle Company. Name change? Ownership change? Out of biz?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bid/d/sausalito-sausalito-bicycle-co-is/6787943873.html

joosttx
01-14-2019, 09:43 AM
I know we discussed a big sale there a while back, but this CL listing suggests maybe it is no longer the Bicycle Odyssey but is now the Sausalito Bicycle Company. Name change? Ownership change? Out of biz?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bid/d/sausalito-sausalito-bicycle-co-is/6787943873.html

The sign outside their shop says "Bike Odyssey". Also, they are having 30-70% sale going on or at least it was going on last week.

FlashUNC
01-14-2019, 10:11 AM
Not sure how different this is than the blowout sales they've had in the past over at the Portuguese Cultural Center, other than they're not schlepping everything over there for a couple days.

John H.
01-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Tony has taken on so many investors/partners over the years. It is hard to say who owns what.
I imagine investing in ABO is like buying stock in a play like in the Producers.

joosttx
01-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Tony has taken on so many investors/partners over the years. It is hard to say who owns what.
I imagine investing in ABO is like buying stock in a play like in the Producers.

Yikes

eddief
01-14-2019, 10:33 AM
ABO = A Bicycle Odyssey - duh.

Yikes

Joe Remi
01-14-2019, 11:10 AM
The name change seems to be an attempt to make it come up more readily on The Google as "bike shop in Sausalito", but nobody there can bring themselves to use it, the phone always answers as "Bicycle Odyssey."

Tony isn't bailing, he just has a shyte-ton of frames hanging from the rafters. I just got a crazy deal on a Paul Taylor, go buy something!

Heisenberg
01-14-2019, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I popped in there last week looking for a part, didn't seem to be any indication of closing.

It is like walking into an episode of hoarders, though. There are some gems in there.

Joe Remi
01-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I popped in there last week looking for a part, didn't seem to be any indication of closing.

It is like walking into an episode of hoarders, though. There are some gems in there.

Somebody needs to pull all those frames/bikes down and take individual pics for the website. I'd probably buy another one if I could ever sort out what all's up there.

sfo1
01-14-2019, 11:42 AM
Tony does this every few years or so. He has always run the biz on the edge and this is just one of many 'cash flow' situations.

I have a friend that was going to invest many years back; was looking at a 50/50. 'Oh my, the numbers were not good and he walked. Tony is a great guy; super knowledgeable and dialed into the cycling scene and business. Unfortunately, the business side is not his strong suit. But, to his credit, the doors are open.

He has so much inventory that he needs to put 70% off tags on 80% of the frames on the wall, which are all primarily steel. Those frames are clearly exception, not rule (and most have been on the wall for >10-15 years).

prototoast
01-14-2019, 12:06 PM
It's been awhile since I've stopped in there, I'd like to head over again and check it out, but traffic into Sausalito from the East Bay is so bad on the weekends that it doubles the time of the trip.

warren128
01-14-2019, 12:27 PM
How long will the sale be going on? Anyone know? Thx.

Joe Remi
01-14-2019, 01:05 PM
How long will the sale be going on? Anyone know? Thx.

I'm not even sure Tony knows. It's been listed on Craigslist for months.

bfd
01-14-2019, 02:01 PM
I'm not even sure Tony knows. It's been listed on Craigslist for months.

I was in there yesterday. What’s still on sale at 30-70% off are bikes and framesets in stock. So if you’re looking, he’s got tons of stuff for sale!

Good Luck!

sfghbiker
01-15-2019, 09:54 PM
they did this last year as well. I got my c60 frame for half off. then Tony and Matt were super helpful in getting it built up and fitted. ABO is awesome.

fogrider
01-16-2019, 01:26 AM
Tony has some great bikes and frames on sale, real gems! its tough competing online. if you're looking for something nice, its worth a trip.