PDA

View Full Version : Opinion time: Gore Shakedry insulated vs Castelli Alpha ROS jacket?

Gummee
01-13-2019, 10:40 AM
I've got a few Gore hardshells now and the best thing I've ever worn is the new Shakedry jacket.

The Alpha jersey I bought a few winters ago isn't quite up to snuff for really cold weather and the softshells I own from Shimano and Sugoi make me sweat. Sweat = cold

The Bontrager jacket I wore yesterday lets a fair amount of cold thru the chest area

so...

Thinking about a cold-weather jacket again.

Debating between the Shakedry insulated and the Alpha RoS jacket

Thoughts?

M

Alan
01-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Listen to this before you buy:

https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/bikes-and-tech/tech-podcast-how-to-layer-for-winter-riding_482636

I much prefer the Polartec fabrics. I have 2 custom made jackets/vests from Lou Binik and they work great in cold weather. This year I did the Rapha challenge in his vest and it worked great to do 500KM. See: http://foxwear.net/

There are many jackets that would work well but the podcast does a great job at explaining the different types of fabrics and how well they breathe.

Alan

Gummee
01-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Saw that the last time that was posted, but thanks for the reminder

M

berserk87
01-13-2019, 01:53 PM
Are you specifically looking for something waterproof? I'm not able to tell exactly what you are looking for in a colder weather jacket. The ride you mentioned during which you were cold sounds like it was due to wind. If you are looking for protection against the wind with some water resistance, there are a lot of options. If you are looking for waterproof, that narrows down your options somewhat.

philhan89
01-13-2019, 02:06 PM
i have quite a few friends that swear by that gore shakedry but only for waterproofing, not trying to stay warm/insulated with that thing. Ornot just released some new jacket using some new new proprietary material you may wanna check out. sounds up your alley. it supposedly breathes, its waterproof, insulates, and packs down.

philhan89
01-13-2019, 02:08 PM
alan, that foxwear gear is fresh! thanks for bringing it to my attention, never heard of em before.