View Full Version : PSA: OttoLock 40% off

dbnm
01-12-2019, 02:41 PM
No affiliation

Green or orange OttoLock's are 40% with WAREHOUSE40 code

https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock

eippo1
01-12-2019, 10:03 PM
Thanks, I'll try one out for that price.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sooshi
01-12-2019, 10:55 PM
I have an orange 30" I picked up a few weeks back. Great lock but unfortunately need the 60" for what I'm intending to use it for. Asking SOLD

eddief
01-12-2019, 11:10 PM
pm sent.

I have an orange 30" I picked up a few weeks back. Great lock but unfortunately need the 60" for what I'm intending to use it for. Asking $35 shipped

unterhausen
01-13-2019, 10:36 AM
they guy who defeats locks on youtube cut through one of these in a few seconds. Takes longer to get your scissors out of your backpack than to cut through them. So it's only good for people who forgot their scissors.

metrotuned
01-14-2019, 04:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ah3RA0Alo

Still, as the author says, better than nothing and it's the lightest lock on the market. Obviously, there is always compromise when you can wear this lock as a belt as I do. I own three and custom ordered a belt fit length for my waist from Otto direct. Good stuff! Just don't go locking this up at a high theft area without supervision. Enjoying a cup of coffee with your riding friends while your 4-5 bikes are bike stacked outside - totally legit for this lock.

dbnm
01-14-2019, 05:16 PM
I bought one and don't expect it to actually stop anyone.

I stop at random coffee shops and need something light and easy to carry.

This is it.

I also have an excellent insurance policy on my Moots.

KarlC
01-14-2019, 05:29 PM

This is it.

I considered getting one, but then I asked myself would I still sit right by my bike ? Yes I would so what would be different ?

I click my helmet strap closed thru the frame / wheel and put my bike in the large / small gears now. This should slow them down about as much as a cheep lock right ?

RobJ
01-14-2019, 07:38 PM

This is it.

What size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weisan
01-14-2019, 08:01 PM
I have one.

In times of emergency, I like to know that I can cut open my own lock using my teeth.

oldfatslow
01-14-2019, 08:14 PM
I got the warehouse email sale (I was part of the Kickstarter) and was thinking I'd get another one. Before I ordered I thought I'd search Ottolock on youtube and wham -- I saw this video and thought what's the point? You can cut the lock quietly in 2 seconds with $10 hand shears from Home Depot. Why would anyway pay $50+ for this thing?

Still, as the author says, better than nothing and it's the lightest lock on the market. Obviously, there is always compromise when you can wear this lock as a belt as I do. I own three and custom ordered a belt fit length for my waist from Otto direct. Good stuff! Just don't go locking this up at a high theft area without supervision. Enjoying a cup of coffee with your riding friends while your 4-5 bikes are bike stacked outside - totally legit for this lock.

KarlC
01-14-2019, 08:17 PM
I got the warehouse email sale (I was part of the Kickstarter) and was thinking I'd get another one. Before I ordered I thought I'd search Ottolock on youtube and wham -- I saw this video and thought what's the point? You can cut the lock quietly in 2 seconds with $10 hand shears from Home Depot. Why would anyway pay $50+ for this thing?

Likely the reason they are having a 40% off sale.

:eek:

bismo37
01-14-2019, 08:33 PM
I begrudgingly bought one. Not excited to have to rely on it.

I went on a small group ride several weeks ago and the dudes wanted to stop at a small cafe for hot drinks and food. The cafe was off the main drag in a small town. None of us had a lock. We leaned their bikes up on the rack outside on the windowless side of the bldg. I assumed we'd make an order and go back out to eat/drink with the bikes in sight. But it was in the low 40s and blustery outside so they all sat down inside and started shooting the *****. I sat there freaking out that our bikes would be gone in a heartbeat. Peer pressure! :) Couldn't stay in the conversation, sucked down my coffee and food and excused myself to watch the bikes. After that, I need some thing lightweight.

The other options are the TiGr or the Abus Bordo light one. The Ottolock is light enough it'll fit in my handlebar bag on the gravel bike.

bismo37
01-14-2019, 08:39 PM
Interestingly, in one YouTube video, the dude can pull the lock open when locked. He sent back the first two thinking they were defective; the third one was the same way. Hope mine at least stays locked. Just need it to work for the opportunistic bike thief, not the prepared thief carrying a backpack full of cutting tools.

pbarry
01-14-2019, 08:47 PM
Interestingly, in one YouTube video, the dude can pull the lock open when locked. He sent back the first two thinking they were defective; the third one was the same way. Hope mine at least stays locked. Just need it to work for the opportunistic bike thief, not the prepared thief carrying a backpack full of cutting tools.

Beefed up zip-tie for how much?? :eek:

54ny77
01-14-2019, 09:52 PM
That's one seriously damning video.

You're better off with, literally, nothing and not stopping. :banana:

Blue Jays
01-14-2019, 10:52 PM
Security when solo: No stops or in/out where bicycle remains in sight.
Security in group: Someone remains outside watching parked bicycles.

boywander
01-15-2019, 12:26 AM
My bike goes where I go including supermarket.

No bike allowed inside then no business from me.

It’s better to detach the chain from the chainrings. Even with a running start the thief will be surprise.

pobrien
01-15-2019, 10:41 AM
I bought a 60 inch lock recently and was impressed with the integrity of the strap and the lock mechanism. It was reasonable in price and well built.

I could not find the video posted but recognize that any lock can be defeated by a prepared individual. I think it is no different than someone pointing a knife at me (this is Canada) and demanding my bicycle...

The smart bad guys will always be able to cut a cable or defeat most locks. I think that applied to Abus and all others.

I think my Ottolock keeps the honest people honest. That is about all one can hope for today with battery powered grinders and the like so available.

unterhausen
01-15-2019, 11:51 AM
my thought is they could upgrade to a ribbon cable of twisted wire rope inside there instead of a band of sheet metal and make it much harder to cut without much of a weight penalty. I think there is a place for this kind of lock, and thieves probably will not carry around tin snips in order to break ottolocks. A friend has one, I felt better when he used it when we went into a Subway with no windows

oldfatslow
01-15-2019, 12:09 PM
Just need it to work for the opportunistic bike thief, not the prepared thief carrying a backpack full of cutting tools.

The guy in the video cut the lock very quietly in 2 secs with this $10 tool from Home Depot.

A "backpack full of cutting tools was not needed".

One might argue that it's better than nothing but only 2 seconds better than nothing.

weaponsgrade
01-15-2019, 02:51 PM
That's a pretty damning video. I considered getting one myself, but not so sure now. I'm seeing the lock as more of a visual thing to deter a crime of opportunity. With that in mind, I suppose it's one step above looping your helmet around the wheel.