PDA

View Full Version : Cyclists targeted

elvislives
05-02-2004, 08:21 PM
From the league of American Cyclists website -- it is amazing that these Howard Stern wannabes get away with advocating violence towards cyclists.

CYCLISTS TARGETED BY RADIO TALK SHOWS--AGAIN
Talk radio hosts are targeting bicyclists again. Stations in three cities in the last two weeks have made disparaging, incorrect, and at times dangerous remarks about bicyclists and encouraged listeners to call in and share their views about bicyclists.

On Friday, April 16, Howie Carr on Boston's WRKO-AM said, "They [bicyclists] are the biggest pain...if there is a sidewalk, I don't care what the law is, ride on the damn sidewalk, OK? You don't belong on the road. You don't. That's all there is to it. You belong on the sidewalk." Later on, he said, "I don't want to share the road."

On Friday, April 23, DJs on the Don Miller show on Atlanta's WNNX-FM (99X) repeatedly ridiculed bicyclists. One presenter said, "I can't stand them," and referred to cyclists as "bastards." Of the law giving cyclists the right to use the roads, they said it's a "horrible law" and that bicyclists should "get on the sidewalk where they belong." When a caller wanted to let the hosts know about Atlanta area cyclists who'd been killed in traffic crashes, the response was, "...and I wanna let you know how many people care about those cyclists." One DJ said he would "nudge them [bicyclists] right off the road into a tree." When challenged by a colleague that he hadn't done that, he said, "You've never done that? It's so much fun. Smoke a little weed, get behind the wheel...wheee!"

None of the stations involved are owned by Clear Channel Communications. Last year, following a string of similar incidents, Clear Channel made it clear it would not tolerate such behavior on its stations. The League and Clear Channel are now working together to promote sharing the road and safe bicycling.

You can hear the WNNX broadcasts at

http://www.bikeleague.org/mediacenter/quickresponse.htm

Bill Bove
05-02-2004, 08:51 PM
And thanks for letting us all know of these latest outrages. We have several members living in the Boston area, maybe they can lead us in a protest against Howie Carr. I remember reading his column's in the Herald when I lived in Mass, I like him even less now. WRKO, what happened to you? You were the station that introduced me to rock'n roll in the '60's, how could you fall so low. :mad:

sellsworth
05-02-2004, 10:49 PM
Bill - I just have to say that I love your signature. If I'm ever in Boston again I'll certainly visit your shop.

Bruce K
05-03-2004, 04:39 AM
Sorry I missed Howie's comments as I listen pretty regularly.

I can't let him skate on this one. I'll be calling WRKO today to comment.

To set the record straight, Mr. Carr is not a shock jock. He is a conservative leaning talk radio host.

BTW - Bill are you still planning to leave your shop in FL for the Open House weekend? Looks like we have a bed if you still want a room/roommate.

BK

davids
05-03-2004, 03:29 PM
To set the record straight, Mr. Carr is not a shock jock. He is a conservative leaning talk radio host.

To set the record straighter, he's a knee-jerk reactionary who never misses an opportunity to bait (1) any incumbent politician, (2) or most anyone whose views are in the slightest respect "liberal."

He's a hypocritical blowhard whose chief skill is self-promotion. His statements about cyclists don't surprise me in the least.

Bill Bove
05-03-2004, 05:47 PM
I was wondering if Kerry being a cyclist had anything to with Howie's rant.

Elefantino
05-03-2004, 06:05 PM
I called the station manager and left a message on his machine, asking him to call me back. He didn't, of course. In a rather lame response to another person's e-mail, he said that in no way did the jocks advocate injuring cyclists ... that, of course, was patently untrue, particularly if you listened to the second of the three clips that HE PROVIDED!

I plan to do a lot more calling, including to the president of Susquehanna, the parent company.

The more we complain — including to sponsors — the more likely we are to get results.

Mark Renier
Senior Vice President
General Manager 99X
Regional Manager
Susquehanna Radio Corp.
780 Johnson Ferry Road, 5th Floor
Atlanta, GA 30342
PH: 404-497-4710
FX: 404-497-4730

The president and COO of Susquehanna is David Kennedy.
The corporate headquarters are in York, Pa.: (717) 852-2132

dgauthier
05-03-2004, 07:02 PM
I was wondering if Kerry being a cyclist had anything to with Howie's rant.

Of course it does. These idiots are trying to inflame redneck attitudes against cycling, in the hopes of increasing negative sentiments against Kerry.

With Kerry being a cyclist, and with Bush being a puppet of the oil industry, I've noticed even the Bush administration has started to - subliminally, at least - slam bicycling.

There's a political ad from Bush criticizing Kerry's energy policy. An announcer intones "Kerry would like to raise taxes on gasoline so that people drive less," over old black and white, turn of the century stock footage of a dozen men riding a ridiculous tandem bicycle built for twelve, while honky tonk piano music plays in the background. The message is that riding a bicycle is ridiculous and obsolete, and this horror awaits the American people if anything disrupts the constant consumption of gasoline.

Russ
05-03-2004, 07:02 PM
When I read stuff as in the opening post by "elvislives" I just shake my head and think...

I wonder if there are people out there feeling so badly about such simple things as cycling or a cyclist on the road; imagine how they feel about other things as war, our politicians, the status quo of our world today....

But you see, I confess, I am not saint either. One of the reasons I like to ride so much, is because it gives me the freedom to be vulgar and obnoxious just like the suckers that I see on the road!!! I try my best not to provoke people and respect the rules; but man, I have a field day when some jerk gets too close or yells some crap to me...

Don
05-03-2004, 07:23 PM
From what I've been told, one in five vehicles in Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties has a gun in it! Add to this the supposedly high number of people "out on parole" and you can understand my concern! Learned this in "mandatory" traffic school from an instructor who urged all motorists and bicyclists to try to ignore those inconsiderate/hostile individuals. Don

kenyee
05-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Don:
Drivers don't need a gun to do harm to cyclists. All they have to do is follow you on a descent and tap you w/ their bumper so you endo off the road while you're doing 40-50mph. No evidence and the driver will not be hunted by police very hard because they didn't use an "evil gun". Even when caught, the driver will get a slap on the wrist because they were just driving along...

Others in Boston area:
We should also be filing complaints w/ the FCC. Inciting violence using the airwaves is not something they look kindly on, either.
And if any of you are lawyers, send some friendly notes to WRKO or file a suit on behalf of a cyclist who was knocked off the road by a driver who was incited by Carr.
Media people only understand being punished by lawsuits and the FCC...both hit their pocketbooks :)

Kevan
05-03-2004, 08:14 PM
contact local chambers of commerce and let them know that the cyclists within their communities are extremely disappointed in the station's behavior and that local advertizers might wish to redirect ad dollars elsewhere.

Or something in this order...

Russ
05-03-2004, 10:05 PM
....you can understand my concern!

I do.... and thanks for caring!

lanton
05-05-2004, 12:25 AM
I was able to get the wnnx station over the internet but couldn't handle the prospect of listening to it long enough to find out, have those clowns apologized or been fired yet? I'm all for free speech but having been nearly killed many times by careless and angry drivers, listening to those recordings is hard. Just like the car speeding away, there doesn't seem to be much recourse.