PDA

View Full Version : The @BAUVANN North American Tour is in Mammoth Lakes, CA!

eBAUMANN
01-11-2019, 11:46 AM
Hey folks! Long time no see! I hope you all had a nice end of 2018 and are off to a great start in the new year.

Gonna try to keep this short (will eventually write up a full post on a yet-to-exist blog of some sort but I'm on my phone right now so it's gonna have to wait)...

After a year of trolling CL I bought a used sprinter van from an electrician in April of 2017. Over the next year or so I worked in my spare time to convert the van from an empty shell into a fully habitable camper. Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2018 - the van is complete after a month of rust repair/Bondo/painting during the wettest fall I can remember and a last minute visit to the shop.

First trip (Dec 1-22) - we (Eric + girlfriend Amanda and my cat Eddy Purrckx) hit the road south down the east coast to Florida and back up through Atlanta and Asheville. Lots of lessons learned and overall a good test run before holidays/bday with the fam in MA/NJ.

Currently, I'm sitting at the public hot spring water fill station in Hot Springs, AR - heading into the park today and then south into Texas. Dallas area on Sunday then on to Austin where we plan to spend a week or two, assuming we can find a consistent/free place to park.

From there, we head further South in Texas to Big Bend/El Paso and then west into NM/AZ and eventually north as things warm up, then back east...then west ha, we are planning on just roaming around for a year or so following the weather ;)

You can follow along on Instagram if you like, I'll be posting photos along the way to @bauvann (www.instagram.com/bauvann) and maybe creating a blog as well for posting larger pics and thoughts/experiences.

If any of you guys live in anywhere along the way I'd love to meet up and see some of your local roads/trails! Also appreciate any hot tips for free camp locations or other POI's worth checking out. Give me a shout here or via DM on Instagram. Service can be a little spotty in places but I'll get back to you asap!

tuscanyswe
01-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Ill be sure to follow your journeys. I wish you the best of times on this great adventure. Enjoy Eric!

jtakeda
01-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Any idea on your time frame for the Bay Area?

azrider
01-11-2019, 11:58 AM
Hey folks! Long time no see! I hope you all had a nice end of 2018 and are off to a great start in the new year.

Gonna try to keep this short (will eventually write up a full post on a yet-to-exist blog of some sort but I'm on my phone right now so it's gonna have to wait)...

After a year of trolling CL I bought a used sprinter van from an electrician in April of 2017. Over the next year or so I worked in my spare time to convert the van from an empty shell into a fully habitable camper. Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2018 - the van is complete after a month of rust repair/Bondo/painting during the wettest fall I can remember and a last minute visit to the shop.

First trip (Dec 1-22) - we (Eric + girlfriend Amanda and my cat Eddy Purrckx) hit the road south down the east coast to Florida and back up through Atlanta and Asheville. Lots of lessons learned and overall a good test run before holidays/bday with the fam in MA/NJ.

Currently, I'm sitting at the public hot spring water fill station in Hot Springs, AR - heading into the park today and then south into Texas. Dallas area on Sunday then on to Austin where we plan to spend a week or two, assuming we can find a consistent/free place to park.

From there, we head further South in Texas to Big Bend/El Paso and then west into NM and eventually north as things warm up, then back east...then west ha, we are planning on just roaming around for a year or so following the weather ;)

You can follow along on Instagram if you like, I'll be posting photos along the way to @bauvann (www.instagram.com/bauvann) and maybe creating a blog as well for posting larger pics and thoughts/experiences.

If any of you guys live in anywhere along the way I'd love to meet up and see some of your local roads/trails! Also appreciate any hot tips for free camp locations or other POI's worth checking out. Give me a shout here or via DM on Instagram. Service can be a little spotty in places but I'll get back to you asap!

Dude. Will follow for sure. Utmost respect for getting out there and 'doing it'. My sister-in-law and her dude made this jump 4 years ago and they're loving it (still)(and now make a living from it).

But knowing a bunch who've attempted/still doing this type of thing one of the biggest advantages is knowing where you can safely park for night. If you guys hit Scottsdale ya gotta free spot. If not for the free spot, then I'd still like to meet the guy who's sold me a frame or two on here :p:p

Godspeed!

jghall
01-11-2019, 11:58 AM
Very cool Eric. Will be sure to keep up to date with your ventures. Wish I had the cojones to do something like this.

dbnm
01-11-2019, 12:07 PM
I'm in Albuquerque. Let me know if you need a place to park.

charliedid
01-11-2019, 12:07 PM
Good for you Eric.

Hope you all have a grand adventure! Cool van too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean39T
01-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Will be following to see how the heck you trained your cat to travel in a van! Mine can't stand a 5-min ride in the car without losing his s***...literally... :help:

Happy to show you around Portland and environs if you make it out this way too :beer:

SpokeValley
01-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Very cool and good on ya!

If you get to Spokane, WA, (and it seems like no one comes here unless asked ;0) there's a place to park, warm showers, if you want to spread out, a full and mostly unoccupied (my office is in one bedroom) and furnished basement with your name on it.

Oh, and full access to my shop. :cool:

Nooch
01-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Been following, and hugely jealous.

nobuseri
01-11-2019, 12:45 PM
If you make it to the Wash, DC area; let me know.

Safe, but fun travels!

Cornfed
01-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Eric's IG is always worth a follow, but now even more drool-worthy, if for a somewhat different reason. Godspeed and call if you make it to the left coast. :banana:

hollowgram5
01-11-2019, 01:08 PM
Of you make it through San Diego, I can show you around and point you towards some great food.

Been following the adventures, good on you for taking the leap.

rwsaunders
01-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Eric...you have to have a few Molteni decals made for Eddy.

joosttx
01-11-2019, 01:38 PM
That’s a bad ass can. Love the color

Clean39T
01-11-2019, 01:42 PM
Eric's IG is always worth a follow, but now even more drool-worthy, if for a somewhat different reason. Godspeed and call if you make it to the BEST coast. :banana:

FTFY - :banana:

tuscanyswe
01-11-2019, 02:06 PM
Will be following to see how the heck you trained your cat to travel in a van! Mine can't stand a 5-min ride in the car without losing his s***...literally... :help:

Happy to show you around Portland and environs if you make it out this way too :beer:

Eddypurrckx is no ordinary cat. Eddypurrckx is a catstronaut.

Clean39T
01-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Eddypurrckx is no ordinary cat. Eddypurrckx is a catstronaut.The blep makes it even better!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

azrider
01-11-2019, 02:26 PM
The blep makes it even better!

is it bad I had to google blep?

weaponsgrade
01-11-2019, 02:32 PM
Following and very jealous - need more deets on the van.

Clean39T
01-11-2019, 02:33 PM
is it bad I had to google blep?Cat people have our own language.

mhespenheide
01-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Just north or Santa Barbara here. Not too much room, but a shower and laundry and great roads. (And three cats, but that's a different story...)

Buoni Viaggi!

Clean39T
01-11-2019, 04:57 PM
It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners.

superbowlpats
01-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Eric, great to hear from you and best of luck on your adventure. I'm glad I helped finance a little part of your trip - thanks for the great deals!! the Classifieds havent been the same since you pulled up stakes!:hello:

MattTuck
01-11-2019, 08:11 PM
Oh man, have fun and be safe!

One of my best friends growing up is doing the same thing (in a converted Suburban) and is currently holed up for the winter as a ski instructor at Jackson Hole. His PhD is electrical engineering is really paying off :)

The same thing I said at his wedding, I will say to you... which is to repeat something that Aristotle said, "Adventure is worthwhile."

And obviously, be safe with Eddy Purrckx. Not really sure that a cat is a natural fit on the road, but that backpack seems to indicate you are taking his needs/safety seriously.

SlowPokePete
01-12-2019, 05:07 AM
Living the dream.

SPP

eBAUMANN
01-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Ha! Thanks for all the support! I'll be sure to get in touch with you guys when we are heading towards your respective areas, would be great to put some faces to names and share a beer :hello:

And yes, Eddy is definitely not your average cat! For those unfamiliar - 6.5 years ago I found a 2wk old Eddy in a friend's backyard, bottle fed him and took him to work with me every day for a month.

He's a very easy going/adaptable cat that has had a new home every 2 years prior to this and numerous test trips and walks before we moved into the van. That said, he is also very cautious around new/loud sounds and unfamiliar places and never ventures very far from the van (and never without supervision).

He is like a son to me and my primary concern when it comes to everything we do :)

schwa86
01-12-2019, 12:56 PM
Now I know where all the skewers went. Best wishes for your great adventure!

OtayBW
01-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Ha! Thanks for all the support! I'll be sure to get in touch with you guys when we are heading towards your respective areas, would be great to put some faces to names and share a beer :hello:

And yes, Eddy is definitely not your average cat! For those unfamiliar - 6.5 years ago I found a 2wk old Eddy in a friend's backyard, bottle fed him and took him to work with me every day for a month.

He's a very easy going/adaptable cat that has had a new home every 2 years prior to this and numerous test trips and walks before we moved into the van. That said, he is also very cautious around new/loud sounds and unfamiliar places and never ventures very far from the van (and never without supervision).

He is like a son to me and my primary concern when it comes to everything we do :)It's nt the cat, per se, in the van that is unusual. I just wonder where you put the litterbox in that small space.

Oh - OK, Nevermind. TMI. :eek:

the bottle ride
01-12-2019, 01:33 PM
I have been the following the adventures and it certain hits two of my favorite things- cats and bikes!!

I have been enjoying the picture- and more eddy please !!

eBAUMANN
01-12-2019, 03:43 PM
It's nt the cat, per se, in the van that is unusual. I just wonder where you put the litterbox in that small space.

Oh - OK, Nevermind. TMI. :eek:

Ha, oh yes, it's a daily wake up clean up routine, not too bad all things considered. We leave it outside when we are able to set up camp/weather allows.

eBAUMANN
02-13-2019, 10:40 PM
hey folks! we are in TUCSON!

if any of you are free and interested in riding/hiking sometime gimme a shout here or on instagram DM (@bauvann).

ill be riding the ruta del jefe (https://www.bikereg.com/ruta-del-jefe) this saturday, if any of you will be there get in touch!

Peter B
02-13-2019, 10:51 PM
Drop me a line of you end up in Norcal/Nevada County. You're welcome to camp on my land for a spell and I can point you to some local trails and areas to explore.

NYCfixie
02-14-2019, 06:25 AM
Go say hello to Craig Gaulzetti (http://gaulzetti.co/) at the new(ish) shop he opened, Summer Cycles (http://summercycles.com/), when you get to San Diego

eBAUMANN
02-23-2019, 06:30 PM
In SAN DIEGO!

Riding mtbs north at Aliso canyon tomorrow if anyone wants to join!

Also, if any of you folks have flexible weekday work schedules and wanna ride in the SD area get in touch!

Also, lil SOS here, if any of you locals may have some hydro tools laying around, gonna need to do a lever swap on my gravel bike early-week. I have bleed kit stuff but that's it :(

----

Drop me a line of you end up in Norcal/Nevada County. You're welcome to camp on my land for a spell and I can point you to some local trails and areas to explore.

Thanks for the offer Peter! I very well may take you up on that when things get a little warmer up your way ;)

SoCalSteve
02-23-2019, 07:30 PM
Where are you heading after San Diego?

KarlC
02-23-2019, 07:50 PM
Aliso Canyon in Carlsbad area ? If so that about 1 hr North of San Diego

eBAUMANN
02-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Aliso Canyon in Carlsbad area ? If so that about 1 hr North of San Diego

Yep, meeting a friend from LA there to ride, he suggested it.

eBAUMANN
02-24-2019, 10:22 AM
Where are you heading after San Diego?

Palm springs to visit a friend and then some of the park areas east of LA...no real plans though, just kinda feeling it out, heading further north as it gets warmer.

Likes2ridefar
02-26-2019, 07:23 AM
If you manage to find an interesting route in Palm Springs I’ll come ride...I go there occasionally for weekends but never had the bike there. Would love to find a few options so it’s not just sitting by a pool when there.

Thinking dirt/gravel type riding...

eBAUMANN
02-26-2019, 03:06 PM
If you manage to find an interesting route in Palm Springs I’ll come ride...I go there occasionally for weekends but never had the bike there. Would love to find a few options so it’s not just sitting by a pool when there.

Thinking dirt/gravel type riding...

Will be there this weekend, maybe sat/sun, I'll look for some routes next time I find good wifi and let you know if I find something. Would definitely be dirt oriented as I don't have any tires skinnier than 2.2 right now ;)

Gummee
02-26-2019, 03:25 PM
Eric...you have to have a few Molteni decals made for Eddy.

I had the 2-door version of that car. VERY comfortable on road trips as long as you didn't want to get there quickly

M

Likes2ridefar
02-27-2019, 06:37 AM
Will be there this weekend, maybe sat/sun, I'll look for some routes next time I find good wifi and let you know if I find something. Would definitely be dirt oriented as I don't have any tires skinnier than 2.2 right now ;)

Unfortunately in flagstaff Saturday thru Monday.

fishbolish
02-27-2019, 09:50 AM
If you ever end up in Michigan/ Detroit area ...,drop me a message / txt

Beers , rides.. etc

eBAUMANN
03-17-2019, 10:34 AM
We are in VEGAS BABY!!! :banana:

Well, Vegas area...copilot is flying back to Boston for a Dr appt on the 20th so we will be around here for a few days.

At lake Mead now, heading to valley of fire and maybe red rocks then back to LA (thousand oaks area) for a week to meet a Boston buddy for some riding and hanging around there.

Anyone north of LA wanna get together at some point between the 20th and 31st? Get in touch! ;)

If you ever end up in Michigan/ Detroit area ...,drop me a message / txt

Beers , rides.. etc

You bet Mark!

mhespenheide
03-17-2019, 02:08 PM
There's some good riding in Death Valley NP if you want to swing through there on your way down to LA. A detour, but not too bad of one. Climb 190 east and up from Panamint Springs if you want a killer climb and amazing descent.

I'm still up here just north of Santa Barbara if you're headed that way.

I've been toying with the idea of doing one of the big climbs out of Ojai, or maybe San Marcos Pass/Camino Cielo out of Santa Barbara if you want to meet up west from Thousand Oaks. But honestly, there's great riding right there, too.

wgp
03-17-2019, 02:24 PM
Following and very jealous - need more deets on the van.

I second this! Love to see more interior shots of how the van is set up please :-)

As Nobuseri said, if in DC give a shout - lots of us here in the metro area.

Jsafran
03-18-2019, 02:27 PM
When are you coming back up to the Northeast? Rasputitsa isn't gunna be the same without ya. Especially since no one will be eating my leftover foods.

Keep your eyes open for a Ti Gravel frame in your travels. I'm still searching after having carbon failures...

eBAUMANN
04-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Hey folks! Hope all is well with you guys/gals these days, we are now in southern Utah!

St.George now, heading across to Arches then back down to Flagstaff/Sedona over the next few weeks.

Get in touch if you're in the area!

Here or @bauvann on Instagram ;)

----

When are you coming back up to the Northeast? Rasputitsa isn't gunna be the same without ya. Especially since no one will be eating my leftover foods.

Keep your eyes open for a Ti Gravel frame in your travels. I'm still searching after having carbon failures...

Ha, yeah it's gonna be weird to miss it this year...and D2, which has been the one event I haven't missed once since becoming a "real" cyclist.

There's a slim chance we might swap out Amanda's frame sometime in the future for a more mtb oriented something. It's a 52cm advocate cycles ti lorax with a lauf fork.

Likes2ridefar
04-05-2019, 11:40 AM
I can make it to flag or Sedona

eBAUMANN
04-28-2019, 01:27 PM
I can make it to flag or Sedona

Will be in the flag-dona area for the rest of the week! Lemme know if you can make it up for a ride/beer, will shoot you a PM as well.

Jsafran
04-29-2019, 03:28 PM
Ha, yeah it's gonna be weird to miss it this year...and D2, which has been the one event I haven't missed once since becoming a "real" cyclist.

There's a slim chance we might swap out Amanda's frame sometime in the future for a more mtb oriented something. It's a 52cm advocate cycles ti lorax with a lauf fork.

No D2R2??? Also keep me in mind about that Lorax. Sounds right up my alley if Amanda parts her ways with it.

eBAUMANN
05-30-2019, 08:28 PM
Hey Folks!
Hope all is well with you/yours.

We've enjoyed Moab for the past week and change, heading west into the desert a bit then over into SW Colorado for a few weeks before looping back to SLC for a flight out/in.

If any of you are in SW Colorado, Durango, Pagosa Springs, etc etc give me a shout, would love to meetup for a ride/beer!

:beer:

eBAUMANN
07-24-2019, 01:25 AM
Hey everyone, just wanted to stop in and say hello with a quick itinerary in case any of you are in the area and would like to meet up for a ride/beer/coffee.

7/24 - Pocatello, ID

7/25 - Craters of the Moon NM

7/26-8/2 (ish) - north through ID (sawtooth/challis Mtns, Stanley, etc to Missoula, MT area

8/3-8/8 (ish) - Glacier NP, Whitefish area

8/8-8/12 (ish) - west through WA via Spokane, ending in Seattle/Bellingham area

8/13-8/20 - Seattle area, victoria maybe

8/21-8/31 - south to Portland, OR

9/1-9/4 - Portland

9/5-9/10(ish) - south to Bend

Then on into NorCal and central/eastern Mid/SoCal before wandering back to NE for Xmas.

Hope we might cross a few of your paths along the way! :beer:

vqdriver
07-24-2019, 04:12 AM
How did I miss this thread? What an awesome adventure.

Andy sti
07-24-2019, 08:36 AM
Hit me up when you make it to Bend! Since i’ve bought from you and actually sold something to you we should probably say hi. :)

d_douglas
07-24-2019, 11:15 AM
If you cross the border to Canada, come say hi!

eBAUMANN
07-24-2019, 01:09 PM
If you cross the border to Canada, come say hi!

Id love to make it to Victoria! Any idea how much $$ it would be to ferry over with the van?

john903
07-24-2019, 02:56 PM
Hey there,
I hope you come up this way. As far as I know the only ferry service to Victoria that will take vehicles is right here in Port Angeles. It is called the Black Ball ferry. I tried to attach a link and for some reason it would not attach. Just look up www.cohoferry.com Black Ball ferry. Let me know via PM if you do come over we have plenty of room to park the van for a day if you want to explore. Also if you don't go over to Victoria you could always make the 280 mi loop around the peninsula.
Have a great day/trip, oh but you are all ready doing that.

john903
07-24-2019, 03:06 PM
I just checked the prices for 2 people and one 24 foot vehicle for a round trip $240.00 ouch. Walk on for two people for a round trip is $76.00. Oh I don't know about pets but that could be an issue even if Eddy is one cool cat.

john

beeatnik
07-24-2019, 03:24 PM
Black Top.

William
07-24-2019, 05:42 PM
I just arrived in the Redmond area outside Seattle, I'm game for meeting for some coffee or beer if our schedules mesh.

William

eBAUMANN
08-22-2019, 06:05 PM
I just arrived in the Redmond area outside Seattle, I'm game for meeting for some coffee or beer if our schedules mesh.
William

Hey William! Thanks for the message, we are actually in Seattle now, but not for very long, heading to the olympic peninsula tonight i think...if not tonight, tomorrow morning...a few days there then swinging back around to rainier and then hood en route to portland. Wish we had the luxury of time but the girlfriend has a flight out of portland on the 3rd so we gotta pack a lot in by then!

Updated timeline below:

8/22 - Seattle, WA
8/23-27 - Olympic Peninsula / NP
8/27-30 - Rainier NP
8/30-9/2 - Rainier --> Portland via Mt. Adams/Mt. Hood
9/3 - Portland, OR
9/3-9/? - Portland, OR
9/10-9/? - Bend, OR

john903
08-22-2019, 09:13 PM
Hey there drop me a line I don't work tomorrow, it would be great to meet you and talk about our area.
I'll drop you a PM as well.
Have Fun

merlinmurph
08-23-2019, 08:46 AM
9/10-9/? - Bend, OR

Dude, don't go to Bend, you'll never leave. ;-)

We stayed south of Bend in a state campground in La Pine - worked out great. Buff singletrack all thru the park that was great on a gravel bike, plus lots of other dirt roads in the area.

Warning: We hit the OR coast around the middle-to-end of Oct and got whacked with rain - like legendary rain - for the next two weeks. Apparently, the rain starts around the beginning of Nov and doesn't stop. When the rain went on pause, the OR coast was beautiful. We stayed at Harris Beach and other places. But man, we booked it south to get out of the rain because the inside of the trailer was getting all damp.

Tandem Rider
08-23-2019, 09:03 PM
I know there are several of us in Bend, we should all meet for something when eB gets here, coffee, beer, pub, ride etc :)

john903
08-23-2019, 09:16 PM
Hello there
I just got to spend a wonderful afternoon with Eric, Amanda, Eddy, the Bauvann adventure crew. They are wonderful people and wanted to say Thank You for stopping by to hang out and talk on your way through. It was a joy and pleasure meeting you both. So I am just wishing you three, fun and safe travels ahead.
Have fun

That Eddy is one cool cat.

eBAUMANN
08-24-2019, 12:36 PM
Hello there
I just got to spend a wonderful afternoon with Eric, Amanda, Eddy, the Bauvann adventure crew. They are wonderful people and wanted to say Thank You for stopping by to hang out and talk on your way through. It was a joy and pleasure meeting you both. So I am just wishing you three, fun and safe travels ahead.
Have fun

That Eddy is one cool cat.

Likewise John! Thanks again for the coffee/conversation and the suggestions :beer:

I know there are several of us in Bend, we should all meet for something when eB gets here, coffee, beer, pub, ride etc :)

Would be very interested in any/all of the above, will be in town for 3-5 days most likely.

eBAUMANN
09-11-2019, 11:37 PM
In Bend!

Anyone wanna meet up?

Also, anyone have a 10s DT 142x12 freehub body?

Gimme a shout!

Clean39T
09-12-2019, 12:34 AM
In Bend!

Anyone wanna meet up?

Also, anyone have a 10s DT 142x12 freehub body?

Gimme a shout!Dude, I somehow missed you in Portland [emoji45]

Enjoy your time in Bend - it's a wonderful place. I recommend Ala Cart near 10 Barrel, and an Ocean Roll from Sparrow Bakery.

eBAUMANN
09-12-2019, 11:26 AM
Dang, forgot you were there...next time!
Thanks for the recs! Will definitely check em out.

Dude, I somehow missed you in Portland [emoji45]

Enjoy your time in Bend - it's a wonderful place. I recommend Ala Cart near 10 Barrel, and an Ocean Roll from Sparrow Bakery.

livingminimal
09-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Just followed. this is awesome!! Glad you enjoyed Idaho. It's amazing. If it had an ocean I'd live there!

Tandem Rider
09-13-2019, 07:17 AM
Yes! Working today, Friday, I'm on call and working all day, so timing will be erratic but yes! Late afternoon or evening today or this weekend. Where are you staying and what's your schedule looking like?

eBAUMANN
09-13-2019, 08:35 PM
Yes! Working today, Friday, I'm on call and working all day, so timing will be erratic but yes! Late afternoon or evening today or this weekend. Where are you staying and what's your schedule looking like?

Free all weekend, staying with a friend NE of town on Abbey road. Been riding around Phil's up to the Alpine trails, hiked green lakes yesterday.

eBAUMANN
10-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Hey folks!

We are currently camped on the Trinity river just outside Douglas city, CA...heading to some mtb trails south of Shasta tomorrow, then up to Burney (fly fishing) before turning south to Lassen NP on to Yosemite via Reno before looping back to Sacramento around the 17th, where we will be until November.

From there its over to SF to high five some pals then back south through Kings canyon/Sequoia (weather permitting...) and back into the salvation of the warmer SW for a month or so before heading back east (through northern AZ/NM/TX mostly likely) in time for the holidays.

Give me a shout if your on the way and hopefully we can link up for a ride/coffee/beer or somethin!

hollowgram5
10-03-2019, 09:51 PM
Hey folks!

We are currently camped on the Trinity river just outside Douglas city, CA...heading to some mtb trails south of Shasta tomorrow, then up to Burney (fly fishing) before turning south to Lassen NP on to Yosemite via Reno before looping back to Sacramento around the 17th, where we will be until November.

From there its over to SF to high five some pals then back south through Kings canyon/Sequoia (weather permitting...) and back into the salvation of the warmer SW for a month or so before heading back east (through northern AZ/NM/TX mostly likely) in time for the holidays.

Give me a shout if your on the way and hopefully we can link up for a ride/coffee/beer or somethin!When you make it back to SD, I'll buy you a beer!

mhespenheide
10-04-2019, 12:27 AM
If you're on 101 between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, give a shout. Can offer easy overnight parking, shower, laundry, WiFi, etc. And great road riding or at least a local beer.

SoCalSteve
10-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Hey folks!

Give me a shout if your on the way and hopefully we can link up for a ride/coffee/beer or somethin!

Are you bypassing Los Angeles-SoCal altogether?

jtakeda
10-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Hey folks!

November is a busy month for me but down to meet up when you’re in the SF area! Tacos and beers etc

PacNW2Ford
10-04-2019, 01:06 PM
You should check out the Paul Components Open House in Chico on October 19th!

pdmtong
10-04-2019, 07:22 PM

Lassen: Bumpass Hell gets all the visits because it's easy and close but if you want to see it the way it was when discovered go out to Devil's Kitchen. You have more time? go hike the Cinder Cone.

From Reno to Yosemite: The Mobil One gas station at Lee Vining 120/395 has worth-stopping-for tacqueria in it "whoa nellie deli"

eBAUMANN
10-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Are you bypassing Los Angeles-SoCal altogether?

We were there in Feb(San Diego) and March (SE SoCal and just sorta in and out of the LA area though, spent a week at a friend's in thousand oaks).

Might be back in SD before heading east, not sure yet. California is a relatively hard place to afford (gas prices) and hard to find places to stay (that are free and not trashed) near city centers. This goes for most cities though, in any state. We try to stick to national forests whenever possible (way more for us to see and do) as hanging out in cities just means going out to eat/drink...which is fine when you've got full time employment...but I'll be entering my 3rd year of unemployment come January :cool:
If you're on 101 between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, give a shout. Can offer easy overnight parking, shower, laundry, WiFi, etc. And great road riding or at least a local beer.

Thanks for the offer! Marked in my maps app, will get in touch if we are ever nearby!

Peter B
10-04-2019, 10:09 PM
I'm on your way from Reno to Sac--SF. You are welcome to park your van on my 10ac for as long as you'd like. Lots of MTB and nice rural roads around. Otherwise, there are a number of forumites in the greater area and I'm sure we could arrange a nice meal and brew together around Sac when you pass thru.

Drmojo
10-05-2019, 07:17 PM
Yes Eric perhaps Ari and I could
join the fun!

eBAUMANN
10-16-2019, 05:57 PM
Hey everyone! Looks like we will be at the Paul Comp Open house this Saturday 10/19!

Driving up to Chico either straight from Yosemite with a stop in the middle (in the van) OR heading to Sacramento first to drop the van at a friend's and carpool up with them.

Anyone else gonna be there?

fmradio516
10-17-2019, 09:10 AM
did i spot the van on the PCH near santa barbara yesterday??

eBAUMANN
10-17-2019, 05:13 PM
did i spot the van on the PCH near santa barbara yesterday??

Not us! In Yosemite all day.

eBAUMANN
11-09-2019, 07:21 PM
hey folks! we are in Mammoth Lakes, CA!

we are continuing our way south (probably not back over to the coast though) down to sequoia NP area and then bending east through vegas, flagstaff, sedona, abq, santa fe, amarillo...arkansas, nashville, ?, Cincinnati, ?...its still a little rough, mainly drawn around seeing a few friends along the way.

gonna be a heavily weather dependent route with no real timetable other then getting back east about a month from today.

hope you guys are all doing well and as always, gimme a shout if you are anywhere nearby!