PDA

View Full Version : What are the pros and cons of piecing together a Di2 build and sourcing strategies?

madsciencenow
01-11-2019, 07:52 AM
Ok, so I've been thinking about the most economical way to put together an electronic 11 speed shifter group (I don't need a crank or brakes, DA9100 sitting in parts bin) and here's what I've come up with.

I can source used di2 parts from ebay as follows:

FD (~$100) 6870
Shifters (~$125) 6870

I'm thinking I may buy a new 8050 derailleur from jensonusa or maybe from ebay. ~$189.

I have about $300 bucks in Amazon credit so I could get the battery internal, charger, and junction boxes from there for about this amount. May need to kick in a few extra bucks, especially if I get the seat post battery holder (~$10).

I still need the wires which the pros closet has for about $12-$13/ wire (I need six total of varying lengths, bike has a 54ish ETT).

If I've done my math correctly I'm at about $500 bucks out of pocket.

What I'm looking for are the pros and cons of mixing and matching, things I'm missing should watch out for, and alternative sources that might be cheaper (including if you've got parts you wanna move. I'd rather buy from a PLer than flea bay).

The bar I'm planning to use for the build will accept a bar end mounted junction box but this looks like more wires and parts (lemme know if I'm missing something) and doesn't look like a huge advantage except for the aesthetics (pseudo important here).

Blown Reek
01-11-2019, 07:59 AM
Please see my response in the other thread.

madsciencenow
01-11-2019, 08:03 AM
Please see my response in the other thread.

Ha Ha, yes, not sure how this happened but certainly wasn't intentional. the other post can be deleted.

kramnnim
01-11-2019, 09:08 AM
If you can't find parts here, and don't mind having and using a Facebook account, you could probably get some of what you need for less from the group "Online Swap Meet"

Just got a charger there for $55

if you don't need the features of the current battery (syncroshift, Bluetooth), the older one should be easy to find cheap

glepore
01-11-2019, 09:11 AM
The bar end junction is only an appearance thing, unless you switch shifting modes on the fly, in which case its marginally more ergonomic. I looked at the upgrade and decided against it, both from a cost and complexity standpoint. I does

Hood shape is slightly different between generations, if that matters.