View Full Version : Ot. teenagers attempt to dial a rotary phone

vqdriver
01-11-2019, 12:06 AM
Pretty ot but the fact that i laughed at this makes me old

https://youtu.be/oHNEzndgiFI

Louis
01-11-2019, 12:18 AM
Not sure if I believe it or not.

I suppose one might find the same thing for crank windows in an older car, or a stick shift.

ultraman6970
01-11-2019, 12:23 AM
Kids now a days know nothing, neither figure it out nothing.

slowpoke
01-11-2019, 12:41 AM
thought it was going to be a video from this series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_vV-JRZ6E

R3awak3n
01-11-2019, 04:47 AM

This is a stupid generalization and not true at all.

godfrey1112000
01-11-2019, 05:15 AM
Stupid is as stupid does

Please refund 15 seconds of my life

This is a stupid generalization and not true at all.

Louis
01-11-2019, 05:30 AM
Please refund 15 seconds of my life

I could say something about this, but I won't. :)

saab2000
01-11-2019, 06:12 AM

Is there a lawn anyone needs to get off of here?

This same lame generalization has been en vogue since the beginning of time. Time to put it to rest.

My younger generation nieces and nephews are masters of modern tech in a way many oldsters aren’t. Rotary telephones aren’t relevant today any more than cylindrical phonographs might be.

AngryScientist
01-11-2019, 06:24 AM
haha,

none of us would have known how to use a rotary phone the first time we saw it if no one showed us how to use it, or if we had not observed someone using it - so it would be pretty well expected that a current teenager would not immediately know how to use a rotary phone.

realistically speaking, most real teenagers these days, if you put them in this situation - their first move would be to pull out a smart phone and google how to use rotary phone, and watch a youtube clip.

hartmmike
01-11-2019, 06:31 AM
I've got a niece who received an analog watch for her high school graduation and couldn't tell time with it.

saab2000
01-11-2019, 06:48 AM
I've got a niece who received an analog watch for her high school graduation and couldn't tell time with it.

When I need to know what time it is I dial 0 on my rotary phone and get the time from the operator.

Either that or I’ll tune in WWV in my short wave radio. Then I’ll tell people to get off my lawn.

ElvisMerckx
01-11-2019, 07:35 AM
Maybe I should video tape my parents (who are in their 80s) trying to skype on a tablet. Youtube fame is within my grasp.

tv_vt
01-11-2019, 07:44 AM
That was funny.:)

That's all.

Tony T
01-11-2019, 08:05 AM
when i need to know what time it is i dial 0 on my rotary phone and get the time from the operator.

202-762-1069

ultraman6970
01-11-2019, 08:22 AM
:)

unterhausen
01-11-2019, 08:24 AM
Rotary dial phones were such a pain. The whole phenomenon of wrong numbers has diminished quite a bit since their passing. I think there could have been some pretty funny (albeit NSFW) videos of me trying to make a long distance call with a rotary dial.

Maybe I should video tape my parents (who are in their 80s) trying to skype on a tablet. Youtube fame is within my grasp.

now I regret not having video of the time I tried to teach my dad to use a mouse. He finally got it, but not that first day. He was one of the pioneers in using computers in his field, so he had been using computers for 35 years by that point. Someday there will be funny videos of teenagers trying to use a mouse.

Polyglot
01-11-2019, 08:41 AM
Rotary dial phones were such a pain. The whole phenomenon of wrong numbers has diminished quite a bit since their passing. I think there could have been some pretty funny (albeit NSFW) videos of me trying to make a long distance call with a rotary dial.

Back in the 90's, I had a Psion PDA and it had a built in dialer for either rotary dialing or touch tone dialing. I loved it compared to dialing out the numbers manually. It really helped when dialing internationally. You would simply hold the speaker against the telephone mouth piece and launch it. I remember showing my grandparents and they were fascinated by it. I also remember showing my grandparents a fax and explaining in general terms how it worked.

sparky33
01-11-2019, 09:04 AM
as a counterpoint, I was momentarily trapped in my wife's new Tesla this morning until I remembered how to open the door

fwiw my 7 year old first taught me how the trick door works.

sparky33
01-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Ralph
01-11-2019, 09:09 AM
My grandkids probably cannot dial a rotary phone either.....but in about 5 minutes they can take a smart phone or laptop....put it thru it's paces and tell you exactly what each can do and how it does it. But yeah....they are pretty backward.

bikinchris
01-11-2019, 06:28 PM
I did enjoy how they would "reset" the phone by lifting it and replacing the handset. He should have asked them what a dial tone was for.
It would be even funnier if it was a party line.

Doug Fattic
01-12-2019, 12:17 AM
My mother was raised on a farm near Exira Iowa. Her bother still lived on the family farm in 1960 when the phones they still used predated rotary phones. Their "rotary phone" was the kind that was a wooden box hanging on the wall and you picked up only the part you held to your ear and spoke into the funnel sticking out of the box. There was a rotary crank handle on the side used for "dialing" the neighbors. How you turned the crank created a ring tone that was either long or short. I don't remember exactly but a half crank was a short ring and a full circle crank was a long ring. Somehow with cranking combinations one could ring their neighbor with for example 2 shorts and 1 long. It was a party line of course so everyone knew everyone else's business. it added another element into how to get along well with your neighbors. I was disappointed when they got "modern" phones a year or two later. If asked to telephone anyone with that phone without instruction i would have had no idea what to do.

jtbadge
01-12-2019, 12:26 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Paceline gonna Paceline.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/044/247/297.png