PDA

View Full Version : alternative to Shimano's loose shifter hoods?

zmalwo
01-10-2019, 11:18 PM
I recently bought a bike with a pair of pretty worn out hoods so I was wondering if there are other makers who makes tighter hoods for shimano levers. As someone who's been using Campagnolo since I got into biking, I can't get used to Sram and Shimano's loose hoods. The levers are 9070 shifters. Also what Shimano hoods are compatible with this model? Thanks in advance.

simonov
01-11-2019, 04:05 AM
The only noticeably loose shimano hoods I've seen are on the first generation mechanical hydro shifters, which never stay in place. Others have been pretty solid.

Not sure where Sram comes into this either. Their hoods stay on fine.

But to answer your question, there used to be a company called Hudz that made aftermarket hoods out of a softer, arguably more comfortable, rubber. The company got purchased and I don't know if they're still making them anymore. You might be able to find some on eBay.

Also, have you tried a new set of 9070 hoods? If the ones you have on the shifters are worn out, a new set might be a tighter, more proper fit.

godfrey1112000
01-11-2019, 05:12 AM
Just replaced the hoods on my DA shifter 4 years of heavy use
The almost could be twisted off
New hoods nice and tight

I recently bought a bike with a pair of pretty worn out hoods so I was wondering if there are other makers who makes tighter hoods for shimano levers. As someone who's been using Campagnolo since I got into biking, I can't get used to Sram and Shimano's loose hoods. The levers are 9070 shifters. Also what Shimano hoods are compatible with this model? Thanks in advance.

oldpotatoe
01-11-2019, 06:42 AM

New hoods, no other shimano lever hood will fit, only 9700(designed and manufactured in triangles=non compatibility)..

Lovetoclimb
01-11-2019, 07:21 AM
My 8020 shifters had horribly loose hoods right out of the box. Same problem as the previous generation it would seem.