PDA

View Full Version : Some days you just can't win...

Alaska Mike
01-10-2019, 10:34 PM
I finally had all of the parts collected and had wrenching time available to put together my Moots Vamoots SLR.

Yesterday I dropped by the bike shop to have the headset replaced (red Chris King Inset 8 to Mango Inset 8), since I ordered it from them- why not let them do the work?

Today I started bolting on parts, and when I got to the fork, it was incredibly loose at the bottom. I pulled everything off a few times before I realized they had ordered and installed an Inset 7, which is designed for a 1.5" tapered steerer instead of a 1.25" tapered steerer.

Work stopped.

Now I have to order the correct headset and wait another couple weeks for the free time to work on this bike (I'm out of town a lot). I was really hoping to test ride it at the local 400 meter indoor running track this weekend (open to roadies on Sunday mornings for a couple hours).

It's not the end of the world, and I have a few great bikes to choose from, but I was really looking forward to riding the RSL.

Oh well...

bjf
01-10-2019, 10:41 PM
They installed the headset but didn't notice it was the wrong size?

Joe Remi
01-10-2019, 10:43 PM
They installed the headset but didn't notice it was the wrong size?

That's kind of a big thing to miss...

jtbadge
01-10-2019, 10:44 PM
That's kind of a big thing to miss...

He probably didn't bring the fork to the shop, as the crown race doesn't need to be changed if they had ordered the correct headset.

Alaska Mike
01-10-2019, 11:12 PM
He probably didn't bring the fork to the shop, as the crown race doesn't need to be changed if they had ordered the correct headset.
That's pretty much it. I should have checked, but printing on the bag's tag was cut short, so I probably wouldn't have caught it anyway unless I compared part numbers.

Now I'm trying to decide if I just want to order a new Inset 8 and keep the Inset 7, just in case I decide to swap the Moots fork for an ENVE. I'll see what the shop is willing to do (I ride for them). They gave me a pretty good discount on the headset (granted the wrong one), to the point selling the wrong one might be close enough to a wash for me. I'll have to see what the original receipt said.