PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather riding jacket

duff_duffy
01-10-2019, 03:00 PM
It’s been brought to my attention that the reason I don’t like riding in the cold is because I dress like an idiot when it’s cold... So, I’m looking for recommendations for a jacket I could wear when commuting that is reflective/easy to see in dark conditions, would be good in 35-45 degree weather, and I rank comfort over anything else. I’m fairly cheap as well when it comes to clothing. Any suggestions? Thanks all.

ltwtsculler91
01-10-2019, 03:25 PM
Assos Mille jacket is on sale now and super warm. Bonka is awesome but also more expensive.

Basically anything Assos makes for cold weather is amazing in the designed temperature range in my experience.

JAGI410
01-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Showers Pass. I was lucky to buy one used on this forum around 5 years ago and it's still going strong. Rode in it last night at zero degrees. Makes a great ventable shell with lots of reflective accents. These aren't cheap new, but they'll provide many years of service.

redir
01-10-2019, 03:56 PM
That's considered cold? Dang it was 19deg here this morning :D

I would just wear a sweater and a vest or a light shell over a sweater for those temps.

I do have a really nice winter jacket but that thing will over heat you in a hurry too. at 35 degrees I can wear jsut a jersey and this jacket and after 30 minutes will start letting air in.

Vests are the best I think, especially ones with zip off arms just in case you want to use it when it's really cold.

bicycletricycle
01-10-2019, 04:05 PM
In cold weather I prefer a layered arrangement. A Jersey or wool shirt under a long sleeve wool sweater with a lightweight windbreaker on top. Changing the weight of the wool sweater makes this set up good for 10-40 degrees. If you get a little warm then unzip the windbreaker, if you get way too warm take off the windbreaker.

Ozz
01-10-2019, 05:00 PM
I have a bunch a winter jackets....the Assos Airjack is the warmest.

I also have a couple Etxe Ondos that are nice. E-O does a nice job of putting reflective strips on their stuff....here is one for sale on ebay:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Etxeondo-Thermal-winter-cycling-jacket-jersey-red-black-XXL-nice-/323620109363

Although, that looks more like a jersey than jacket

makoti
01-10-2019, 05:17 PM
I love my Castelli Alpha. Bought the GF the newer version, Alpha ROS I think, and she loves that. I don't ride in the rain if I can help it, but it's not waterproof. The fit & function of it are perfect. I actually own two I like it so much.

madsciencenow
01-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Gore has some good jackets that can be had on sale for a “reasonable” price.

Personally, I prefer the layered approach starting with a merino long or short sleeve base layer and then a jersey with warmers. Once it gets into the low 40s or high 30s I switch to a jersey with sleeves or outer layer.

I like Rapha‘ line-up but there are cheaper options available. One thing I like about Rapha (other company’s do this too) is that they incorporate merino which really helps with staying warm once you start sweating. It’s also a great odor/antibacterial repellant which is a mad bonus.

I’ve only tried the assos winter gloves and they’ve been pretty amazing in really cold temps. Nothing from their jacket lineup but sounds like they know what they are doing if you feel like dropping some coin or finding a sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyat.es
01-10-2019, 06:01 PM
I've been riding with a Castelli Perfetto Convertible jacket for a couple years, and recently picked up a La Passione Windproof Jacket. Both are plenty warm down to the teens (°F) with a thin merino layer underneath. I prefer the fit of the Castelli TBH. I'm tall and skinny with a pretty short torso, but I find the La Passione to be too short, but fine in the arms.

duff_duffy
01-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Thanks all! This should be enough tips to go on. Appreciate the advice (and humor!) this board offers.

robertbb
01-10-2019, 07:56 PM
I love my Castelli Alpha. Bought the GF the newer version, Alpha ROS I think, and she loves that. I don't ride in the rain if I can help it, but it's not waterproof. The fit & function of it are perfect. I actually own two I like it so much.

+1 for the Castelli Alpha. The jersey and jacket are both great.

joosttx
01-10-2019, 08:11 PM
patagonia micropuff hoodie is about the best.

R3awak3n
01-10-2019, 08:22 PM
The rapha classic windblock winter jersey is amazing. For over 30 I wear this and a thick base layer and thats all I need. A bit under I had a wind jacket and mid 20s and under I put a wintee jacket on. But to me that winter rapha jacket is the best piece. Its wind proof material in the feont and thick merino back.

And its true. I did the rapha festive 500 and temperatures were 19 to like 35 and I was never cold. Dont get me wrong, it was cold but i was ok.

The other very important part of my winter kit, winter shoes. Absolutely mandatory because overshoes just dont work for me under 40

weisan
01-10-2019, 08:27 PM
If the temps stay more or less the same throughout the ride without any major variations, then that's an easy problem to solve.

There are many jackets that can handle cold weather adequately and you don't have to pay exorbitant prices for them or buy cycling-specific ones.

The thing that makes a difference is: what do you do when the temp. starts off at 38-43 and then rises steadily to 55-60 before the end of the ride?

That same jacket that you wore at the beginning of the ride will inadvertently become "too warm" and you will start to overheat. I don't know about you but when I start to overheat, my performance on the bike goes downhill rapidly.

You not only need a jacket that is adequate for colder temp but also not so bulky that it can't be shed and stowed away. You also need to develop a stronger tolerance for the colder temps. for the duration that it takes for the temps to go up to a decent level, maybe about an hour to an hour and the half into the ride, before you are ready to shed the jacket.

For me, the biggest revelation this winter is the use of the Goretex Shakedry which was meant as a rain jacket but I have discovered that it works really well as a windbreaker shell. Sometimes, it's not the temps that gets you, it's the wind chill. With that extra layer of wind protection over you, you can wear an undergarment beneath a wool jersey to keep the core temperature under control and when you are ready, take off the shakedry and pack it away in your back pocket leaving behind the layers that you have that will get safely through the 50-60 temp. range.

Ok, I think I am talking too much... :p

rwsaunders
01-10-2019, 09:19 PM
At those temps I use a Rapha Pro Team jacket. Not sure how the new ones fit as mine is 4-5 years old and I replaced an Assos 851 Airjack, I liked it so much. It does a great job in keeping me from overheating and I usually wear a base layer and wool jersey underneath. Not waterproof or resistant if that’s an issue and no reflective tape but my riding is only in daylight and the jacket is medium orange.

jghall
01-10-2019, 09:27 PM
Lots of good options. Many already mentioned.

Big fan of the Airjacket. Imagine the newer version is of are of similar stature.

Also a fan of Rapha's jackets/winter jerseys. As R3 mentions, the winterblock jersey is extremely good. Their jackets take over when it gets really cold.

Not tried Castelli, but hear great things about the Alpha series. For a layered approach, some could probably get away with a Gabba. Which I highly recommend.

steelbikerider
01-10-2019, 10:27 PM
I have a Castelli Mortirolo IV that is comfortable from 35 - 50. I was able to get it at half price around the end of December. I like much better than my Alpha Ros Jersey.

TheseGoTo11
01-10-2019, 11:14 PM
I rode comfortably through Colorado winters for years without anything fancy. I think the key is layering. A base layer with a long sleeve jersey is good for insulation, then add a wind proof light jacket over the top. It doesn’t even need to be a cycling jacket. I used a GoLite running jacket for years. A neck gaiter is also handy for keeping out the draft. Just my two cents, since OP sounds like cost is a factor. Yes, winter jackets from Assos, Rapha and the like are excellent, too!