PDA

View Full Version : OT: Charitable RMD from IRA Question

cd_davis
01-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Since many of us are senior lady and gentlemen cyclists close to retirement or retired, I pose this question.

Turned 70.5 1/1/19. Intend to make charitable, non-taxable contributions from my IRA. The charitable tax deduction benefit is still preserved and the monies donated are pre-tax and count towards the annual RMD calculation. All good, but I was intending to delay RMD payments for income tax purposes until 2020 (first-year extension until April 1).

So the question is "does a charitable non-taxable contribution negate the ability to postpone normal IRA RMD until the following year", meaning a year of RMD income in 2019?

Any help from our CPA, tax attorney cyclists much appreciated...
Chris

echappist
01-09-2019, 12:01 PM
i'm sure we have people here to help, but this would receive greater audience (and response) at places such as bogleheads.org. it's a place where acronyms such as RMD require no further explanation, similar to how monikers such as GXP, SRM, and CK warrant no further explanation here

danesgod
01-10-2019, 12:04 PM
i'm sure we have people here to help, but this would receive greater audience (and response) at places such as bogleheads.org. it's a place where acronyms such as RMD require no further explanation, similar to how monikers such as GXP, SRM, and CK warrant no further explanation here

I agree that bogleheads is a good place to ask. Another very active forum to look into would be the whitecoatinvestor forum, as they are all MDs, they tend to have higher incomes and tax optimization and charitable giving are things that are often discussed.

Tax optimization has become a forced hobby of mine, but I'm nowhere near retirement, so my deep knowledge of retirement optimization and drawdown is limited.

Ralph
01-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Never mind

godfrey1112000
01-10-2019, 08:08 PM
I have done countless QCD’s
I would think that you would not be able to postpone
Fidelity and Schwab have help desk in that area

The postponement issue also has many pro/con issues

It is a great tax tool