PDA

View Full Version : OT: Moving to Sacramento

Mustangski
01-09-2019, 04:46 AM
Hello Paceliners,
Looking for some information on Sacramento. I am active duty Marine Corps stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I have lived here for the past six years and have finally worn out my welcome! I recently received orders for Inspector - Instructor duty in Sacramento, Ca.

I'm looking for thoughts/ideas on where to live with the priority being (1) elementary schools, (2) safe community, (3) great access to cycling, mainly road.

In looking around the area already it looks like Elk Grove is our best bet, but curious to what everyone thinks. I will be working at the Marine Corps Reserve center on Elder Creek Road so a living location close to that would be great. My family and I have been really excited to move as the area looks great.

Also, anything on cycling in the local area would be appreciated as well. Group rides, great shops, etc.

Jeff

avalonracing
01-09-2019, 05:09 AM
I'm on the other coast but congrats on Sacramento. I have a friend there who I visited a couple of times last year. It's a nice city and within a couple of hours of some truly fantastic places to ride. I'd live there.

roguedog
01-09-2019, 07:37 AM
Very cool.

Calling Tony...

Elk Grove has had a lot of development in the last decade. I think some parts are ok and some parts might be a bit sketchy still but my info is dated. However, I'm sure you're looking at school ratings and that should land you in a decent neighborhood.

It might be a bit of a trek but Folsom is highly rated for schools. I might also look at Fair Oaks. Obviously, Davis is great but pricier like Folsom.

Been casually looking at the market up there as well so interested in this thread. Are you looking to buy or rent?

Lots of cyclists and a great area if you all are outdoorsy.

8aaron8
01-09-2019, 08:14 AM
Depending on where you are looking Sacramento can be expensive. Nice areas of Sacramento include Land Park, Pocket, Riverside, East Sac., parts of Arden Arcade, Carmichael, and Fair Oaks. The schools very obviously in these parts, but what is considered a good school can be subjective. Elk Grove is quite developed and the school system is said to be good, though I have no personal experience with it. Buying vs renting makes a huge difference on what may be considered affordable. As far as riding the valley is flat but as you trek North or East you can start some climbs. Sacramento is also a close enough drive to many great rides.

Tony
01-09-2019, 09:00 AM
I live in the East Sac area. I like the easy access to the American river bike trail and downtown area. In east sac one is in walking distance of restaurants, coffee shops, parks.... The public schools in East Sacramento are above average. Other Sacto areas I would consider, Land Park, Mid Town, Curtis Park, River Park, Tahoe Park. I would also live in Davis. I don't have much personal experience with Elk Grove. If your work is in Sacramento the commute from and to Elk Grove will be with heavy traffic.

MikeD
01-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Sacramento is a nice city, but the terrain is flat. It gets hot in the summer. If you don't mind a drive, there's excellent riding in the foothills near Loomis, Penryn, Lincoln, Newcastle, and Auburn. Also over to Ione, Plymouth, Sutter Creek, Fiddletown, Volcano the roads in that area are excellent. That's where the Sacramento bike clubs have their century rides. While the American River bike trail is nice, it gets a lot of usage from non-bikers and gets crowded on weekends; not one of my favorite places to ride. From Elk Grove you can ride in the Delta like over to Clarksburg and Cortland.

smead
01-09-2019, 10:17 AM
For road riding, I would not recommend Elk Grove because you have to slog through miles of flats and busy areas to get to any kind of foothill riding.

Nicer east sac areas already mentioned (close to AR bike trail) would be much better (for riding at least).

The ideal road riding location would be in the east foothill communities (folsom, Roseville, loomis, etc..), but then you'll have a messy commute into downtown sac.

On the other side (west), Davis is a great cycling town w/ easy bike commute to Sac, but compared to the east sierra foothills, you have fewer options for good remote road riding routes.

crankles
01-09-2019, 01:17 PM
I live in Oakland, so can't help with living in Sac, but start doing some cyclocross. The sacramento series is by far the best in the bay area.

Lanternrouge
01-09-2019, 01:48 PM
It's been a while since I've lived in Sacramento and I've been to Elk Grove a total of once in the many years I lived there, so I don't have too much helpful to offer in terms of suggestions for anything that would be particularly close to work.

I think Sacramento is a great place to live and ride, though summers can be a bit hot and the fog in the winters can be really dreary and unpleasant at times. I miss many things in Sacramento and I say that having lived in Boston and currently living in what some may consider one of the top places to live for cycling in the country (I'm sitting on my office that is located west of Pacific Coast Highway). Sacramento isn't "exciting," but there are a lot of great things about the area.

cnighbor1
01-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Sacramento riding
1. the delta Lots of flat riding there
2. the American bike path good for at least 50 miles
3. Go north on your bike trying to follow Sacramento river
It is all farm country try to ride dikes that hold in the river
4. Parallel I-80 You can get to the mountains
5. Come down to walnut creek and we will ride Mt. diablo
6. Davis bike club is very active https://davisbikeclub.org/
7.search my clubs lists of rides in your area https://www.grizz.org/routes/

dddd
01-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Depending on the time of day and the frequency of your commute, the foothills seem to offer the best riding in all directions, up into the hills or down into the valley, just a few miles in either direction.
Up in Auburn the MTB and road riding opportunities are almost endless, and it's directly on Hwy 80.

Saxon
01-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Hey Jeff,

The Reserve center on Elder Creek Road is pretty close to Highway 50, so it's fairly easy access to areas in east sac, though the commute traffic is pretty normal for a city the size of Sac. You'd have a rather short commute to places like Fair Oaks and a bit longer to Folsom. Folsom is a highly regarded area and ground zero for great riding (hills or flats). The Fair Oaks area is also right on the bike trail and you can go anywhere from there. Real Estate prices will be lower in the Fair Oaks area than Folsom, but Folsom has lots of new parks and schools that are pretty spectacular. I've been living in the Sac area my whole life and now reside in Cameron Park, which is a little further up 50 from Folsom.

Here are a few Strava segments from the area...
https://www.strava.com/activities/1897305092
https://www.strava.com/activities/1938602115
https://www.strava.com/activities/1777325515

fogrider
01-09-2019, 05:27 PM
I'm doing some work in Elk Grove and was just there on Monday. As you probably already know, it's a bedroom community south if Sacramento. There's the old part of town (east side of Highway 99) with lots of new homes to the west.

As noted it's pretty flat in the valley, go north to Auburn or west towards Lake Berryessa.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

jpritchet74
01-09-2019, 05:28 PM
I am in Vacaville which is about 30 min west of Sac. The road riding here is great (hills, which do not exist in Sac), it's a great community, and the schools are very good too. Your commute would be in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic both ways too so that's a good thing.

EPOJoe
01-09-2019, 06:46 PM
I don't know where everyone gets this idea that the greater Sacramento area is flat. Sure, downtown is flat, but ride the incredible American River Trail up to Folsom and shoot off up to Placerville or Auburn, or just tool around in the foothills up Beatty Dr. through Serrano and there's plenty of challenging climbing. And if you really want a challenge, I know some guys that jump off the bike trail and do this every couple of weeks...

https://www.strava.com/clubs/278363/group_events/282082

MikeD
01-09-2019, 06:52 PM
I don't know where everyone gets this idea that the greater Sacramento area is flat. Sure, downtown is flat, but ride the incredible American River Trail up to Folsom and shoot off up to Placerville or Auburn, or just tool around in the foothills up Beatty Dr. through Serrano and there's plenty of challenging climbing. And if you really want a challenge, I know some guys that jump off the bike trail and do this every couple of weeks...

https://www.strava.com/clubs/278363/group_events/282082

With all due respect, Folsom isn't Sacramento and Sacramento is flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EPOJoe
01-09-2019, 11:30 PM
With all due respect, Folsom isn't Sacramento and Sacramento is flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed, Sacramento proper is flat, but the surrounding areas are easily reached by bike. My normal ride is from Folsom down to Old Town Sac and back, which normally takes me a little over three hours on the bike trail, often shooting off into the foothills for some climbing at the end of the ride. Yeah, I pass through Folsom, Fair Oaks, Rancho Cordova, Arden/Arcade, Sac and Eldorado Hills (sometimes Cameron Park) but if your riding range is 40-60 miles, all these places, including some challenging climbing areas, are easily accessed by the trail. If your riding range is 10 miles and you like climbing, you’d better live at the base of a hill (I’d love to live at the base of Mt. Diablo or Hamilton)

Bostic
01-10-2019, 12:42 AM
Beatty is a monster. Especially on a 100 + degree day in the baking afternoon sun after a max effort up Costco hill prior.

My in-laws are in Carmichael so I always enter the trail at Arden. From there it’s 10 miles of warmup before Col de Hazel and where there is more climbing once in El Dorado Hills.

Peter B
01-10-2019, 12:52 AM
Iowa Hill, Robinson Flat, North Fork Powerhouse, Corkscrew Ridge, all ride starts accessible within less than an hour's drive east from downtown. Any one should offer a challenge for most riders. If not, link them all in a day. That'll get you in the neighborhood of 16k' climbing and about 120mi. Be forewarned there's no services or potable water along the steepest 80 miles of that loop.

West of town there's always Mix Canyon.

Mustangski
01-10-2019, 05:46 AM
Wow, a lot of info. Sounds like some great riding in the area, I was looking at housing near the South East corner of Elk Grove. We were looking at Folsom first but I've heard the commute would be crazy.

I'm looking for some hills for the daily ride and can definitely hit the mountains on the weekend rides for some hills.

Thanks again!

EPOJoe
01-10-2019, 11:18 PM
Beatty is a monster. Especially on a 100 + degree day in the baking afternoon sun after a max effort up Costco hill prior.

I've been there, baby, more than once. :)

yetitotheheady
01-11-2019, 12:07 AM
I live in Sacramento and will echo the recommendations of East Sac, Land Park, Curtis Park. Pocket area and Tahoe Park are also good considerations. All close to entertainment ect. They are all close enough to your work to make commuting very reasonable. They are all close enough to the American River bike trail to access it by bike. It is a great multi use trail that you can get training in on. It is pretty flat around Sacramento but you can still find elevation pretty easily when venturing into the foothills and beyond.

I grew up in Elk Grove and it is a very family friendly community with great schools for the kids and tons of parks. The downside is cycling in Elk Grove is borderline terrible. All flat, no regular group rides I ever found and virtually no bicycle friend routes anywhere. Likely you will be solo riding on a shoulder of the road in the Franklin area into a headwind.

alvinholbrook
01-12-2019, 11:38 AM
While I'm currently in Salt Lake City, I grew up in Sacramento, in Curtis Park. I loved how close I was to everything downtown, with everything being very bike able. The American River Bike Trail is way rad, with tons of little trails along the way.

There's also a number of tight dirt trails along the ARBT that are very fun to explore on a cyclocross bike.. Living in Curtis Park (or Land Park, East Sac, Oak Park) allowed me to ride thru downtown to the dirt paths, shred for an hour or so, and pick up groceries on my ride home. People talk all the time about how good the riding in Salt Lake is, but those bum trails are something I really miss. Check out the Squid Bikes instagram (@squidbikes (https://www.instagram.com/squidbikes/)) can give you a peek into what I'm talking about.

As others have said, most climbing and MTB stuff is going to be in Folsom or the Foothills, but taking light rail is easy and relatively accommodating. That's probably why cross and gravel are so popular in the Sacramento area. Going south out toward the Delta (or west to West Sac) offers a ton of gravel and dirt roads that, while flat, manage to be pretty darn fun.

If you can spring living in the aforementioned areas (Curtis Park, Land Park, East Sac, Greenhaven/Pocket, along the ARBT, some parts of West Sac or Oak Park), then you'll have tons of riding and a number of cyclists around you. Elk Grove is just a newer development that doesn't have the cycling infrastructure or fun of the rest of Sacramento.

bikingshearer
01-13-2019, 08:39 PM
I live in Berkeley, but have in-laws in the Pocket/Greenhaven area. From there, you are minutes away from the northern edge of the Delta, which offers miles of hidden gems along rivers, streams and sloughs (called a creek or stream anywhere else, pronounced sloo). The prettiest, shadiest roads are on levees along the sloughs, but there are some nice roads off the levees and across the fields as well.

Two features about the Delta: it is absolutely pancake-flat (the only climbing is up onto a levee, which is always very short but can be surprisingly steep); and it is sometimes pretty windy, especially after about 4:00 pm. And nothing says fun like riding on a dead-flat road on a hotter 'n hell day into a headwind. :rolleyes:

If you venture far enough south, you can cross one or both of the only ferries that are part of the state highway system - they are free and cheerfully take bikes across.

I know less about the other options folks have described - because of where my in-laws live, my escapes are almost always into the Delta :help: - so look to the natives for info on other areas.

Mustangski
01-30-2019, 04:41 PM
We decided we may buy a home there now, we’ve been looking into Rancho Cordova for the great schools and the quiet suburbs. I also get better riding in the area.

However we have been seeing mixed reviews on the crime in the area. Anyone live in RC that can help?

I’m heading that way for two weeks in late February to meet the guy I’m replacing and also check out some homes.

Thanks again for all the assistance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EPOJoe
01-30-2019, 06:53 PM
Rancho Cordova is generally considered, how should I say this, a "not so great" area for its crime, industrial sprawl and run-down neighborhoods. For the same thing you'd likely spend on a home in RC, you'd be better off looking in Fair Oaks. It's just a little north of RC, still right by the bike trail and freeway (Hwy 50), but it'll have safer neighborhoods, better schools and your property will likely better hold its value.

We decided we may buy a home there now, we’ve been looking into Rancho Cordova for the great schools and the quiet suburbs. I also get better riding in the area.

However we have been seeing mixed reviews on the crime in the area. Anyone live in RC that can help?

I’m heading that way for two weeks in late February to meet the guy I’m replacing and also check out some homes.

Thanks again for all the assistance!

Waldo
01-30-2019, 07:16 PM
And NAHBS semi-regularly...

Tony
01-30-2019, 09:24 PM
Rancho Cordova is generally considered, how should I say this, a "not so great" area for its crime, industrial sprawl and run-down neighborhoods. For the same thing you'd likely spend on a home in RC, you'd be better off looking in Fair Oaks. It's just a little north of RC, still right by the bike trail and freeway (Hwy 50), but it'll have safer neighborhoods, better schools and your property will likely better hold its value.

I agree with this.

Peter B
01-30-2019, 10:14 PM
i agree with this.

+1

Lanternrouge
01-30-2019, 10:30 PM
I would definitely prefer Fair Oaks to Rancho, but it will be more expensive and will involve a longer commute. I can't imagine traffic on Sunrise and Hazel getting to Highway 50 has improved with time. Gold River (technically Rancho, but in the San Juan School District) is quite nice, but pricey.

malbecman
01-31-2019, 01:31 PM
West of town there's always Mix Canyon.

Mix Canyon, oh yeah, that's a fun one. :):eek: That 1 mile is 15.8% is pretty killer....

Mix Canyon

Stats from John Summerson’s Climbing (By Bike) In California book for Mix Canyon:
Elevation Gain: 2178 ft
Length: 4.0 miles
Average Grade: 10.3%
Steepest Mile: 15.8%
Steepest 3 Miles: 11.8%
Steepest Mile in California at 15.8%. Second place goes to Old Priest Grade at 15.0%.
3rd Steepest 1/2 Mile in California at 16.2%. First place goes to Marin Avenue (18.1%) and second place goes to Mattole Road South 2 (17.5%).
Additionally, a separate half mile stretch of Mix Canyon appears at the #6 spot in the toughest 1/2 mile climbing section category (15.4%)
Most Technical Descent in Northern California

Lanternrouge
01-31-2019, 02:57 PM
Another area to consider is Rosemont, though I'm not sure how it currently compares with Rancho in terms of crime/schools. It is more centrally located than Rancho. The budget you have to work with is really going to influence choices as well. An observation I made where I live is that once you've got a budget of over $1 million, your options really start expanding. I'm saying that somewhat facetiously, but that's what it felt like here when I was looking, though that number is lower in the Sacramento area.

EPOJoe
01-31-2019, 06:01 PM
Oh, yeah, way lower in Sacramento. Looks like you can get a home in Rancho in the high $200,000. I'm guessing you might be able to get something in Elk Grove in that range also. Fair Oaks/Citrus Heights, you're looking at low to mid $400,000 and Folsom mid $500,000.

Another area to consider is Rosemont, though I'm not sure how it currently compares with Rancho in terms of crime/schools. It is more centrally located than Rancho. The budget you have to work with is really going to influence choices as well. An observation I made where I live is that once you've got a budget of over $1 million, your options really start expanding. I'm saying that somewhat facetiously, but that's what it felt like here when I was looking, though that number is lower in the Sacramento area.

Mustangski
02-02-2019, 02:34 PM
Thanks everyone, with our price range the Fair Oaks homes are either extremely dated or too small so we’ve basically closed it down the the Laguna area of Elk Grove. Mainly because they have a lot of highly rated schools in that area and we can get more for our money in a home.

I highly appreciate all the responses, looking for a home in Sacramento while living in Japan has been interesting and stressful!

Peter B
02-02-2019, 03:24 PM
With a wife and kids I'd look to Elk Grove before most of RC.

ninjaman
02-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Mix Canyon, oh yeah, that's a fun one. :):eek: That 1 mile is 15.8% is pretty killer....

Mix Canyon

Stats from John Summerson’s Climbing (By Bike) In California book for Mix Canyon:
Elevation Gain: 2178 ft
Length: 4.0 miles
Average Grade: 10.3%
Steepest Mile: 15.8%
Steepest 3 Miles: 11.8%
Steepest Mile in California at 15.8%. Second place goes to Old Priest Grade at 15.0%.
3rd Steepest 1/2 Mile in California at 16.2%. First place goes to Marin Avenue (18.1%) and second place goes to Mattole Road South 2 (17.5%).
Additionally, a separate half mile stretch of Mix Canyon appears at the #6 spot in the toughest 1/2 mile climbing section category (15.4%)
Most Technical Descent in Northern California

Don’t forget Mix’s sister hill, Gates Canyon, which is pretty much the same steepness and difficulty, and about a mile down the road. Up one, across the ridge, down the other = a seriously hard (short) day on the bike.

EPOJoe
02-02-2019, 10:33 PM
I think that for the combination of nice suburban area, school quality and bang for your buck home-wise, Elk Grove would be your best bet. You can still get in short rides from the house during the week and on the weekend you’ll be able to drive to the trail in under 20 minutes. Of course, you’ll have to save a few weekends for rides down to and up Mt. Diablo. :) Don’t know if you have a real estate agent here yet, but if you need one PM me and I’ll give you my guys contact info. I like him because he puts up with all my crap and keeps a smile on his face. And believe me, when it comes to buying real estate, I’m a real pain in the bum. :)

Mustangski
02-03-2019, 08:14 AM
I think that for the combination of nice suburban area, school quality and bang for your buck home-wise, Elk Grove would be your best bet. You can still get in short rides from the house during the week and on the weekend you’ll be able to drive to the trail in under 20 minutes. Of course, you’ll have to save a few weekends for rides down to and up Mt. Diablo. :) Don’t know if you have a real estate agent here yet, but if you need one PM me and I’ll give you my guys contact info. I like him because he puts up with all my crap and keeps a smile on his face. And believe me, when it comes to buying real estate, I’m a real pain in the bum. :)

Thanks, I have a real estate agent already. Have to check out Mt. Diablo! My family and I have loved Japan, but we are ready for a change.

metalheart
02-03-2019, 09:57 AM
Elk Grove is not a cycling desert, it has plenty of opportunities for riding in all direction. You have probably found something like this on Ride with GPS (https://ridewithgps.com/find#search/0/search%5Bexclude_trips%5D=true&search%5Bkeywords%5D=elk%20grove&search%5Broutes%5D=true&search%5Bsort_by%5D=rank%20DESC). I know a couple of people who live in Elk Grove and have routes that get them to the American River Trail or up towards Folsom and into the foothills. I don't think you would be disappointed with the cycling opportunities, plenty of ways to ride flats or climb.

Mustangski
02-04-2019, 12:06 AM
Ok, I hope this to be the last question. However, it is bike specific so more on track with the forum!

I see Sacramento has light rail that goes from Folsom to downtown, and they have bike racks. Anyone ever use this? Any issues with bike-rail commuting? I would get off at the 65th street station for work and looks like it would be faster than driving from Folsom, if we decide to rent and find a home there.

EPOJoe
02-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Never tried light rail, but I do ride by the station in Folsom all the time. Hopefully someone with experience taking a bike on there will chime in.

Ok, I hope this to be the last question. However, it is bike specific so more on track with the forum!

I see Sacramento has light rail that goes from Folsom to downtown, and they have bike racks. Anyone ever use this? Any issues with bike-rail commuting? I would get off at the 65th street station for work and looks like it would be faster than driving from Folsom, if we decide to rent and find a home there.

metalheart
02-04-2019, 01:46 PM
It is an easy Light Rail ride from Folsom to 65th, but I have never taken a bike, but I have friends who do it occassionally. Below is the Light Rail info about bike and racks.

From Folsom, you can also take the American River Bike trail to the area of 65th Street if you want to bike commute. I have other friends who work downtown and live in Folsom and commute most of the year using the bike trail. It is maybe 18-20 miles one way from Old town Folsom to the area of 65th.

"Bringing your bike on SacRT has never been so easy. Buy your fare and board. In the older Siemens light rail trains, simply place your bike in the rear or front of the car next to the flip-up seats. The newer CAF light rail trains are equipped with four bike racks. Simply place your bike in the rack located in the front and rear of each car next to the flip-up seats. Please enter through the rear or front doors after all other passengers have entered or exited the light rail car. Bicyclists can board light rail everyday at all hours of operation."

Mustangski
02-04-2019, 03:16 PM
It is an easy Light Rail ride from Folsom to 65th, but I have never taken a bike, but I have friends who do it occassionally. Below is the Light Rail info about bike and racks.

From Folsom, you can also take the American River Bike trail to the area of 65th Street if you want to bike commute. I have other friends who work downtown and live in Folsom and commute most of the year using the bike trail. It is maybe 18-20 miles one way from Old town Folsom to the area of 65th.

"Bringing your bike on SacRT has never been so easy. Buy your fare and board. In the older Siemens light rail trains, simply place your bike in the rear or front of the car next to the flip-up seats. The newer CAF light rail trains are equipped with four bike racks. Simply place your bike in the rack located in the front and rear of each car next to the flip-up seats. Please enter through the rear or front doors after all other passengers have entered or exited the light rail car. Bicyclists can board light rail everyday at all hours of operation."

Awesome! Thanks for the response. I was looking at the bike trail and would love to live in Folsom, it looks more outdoorsy (if that’s even a word) and the schools are still great. My only concern was the commute, but looks feasible especially the hours I typically work.