PDA

View Full Version : OT: things to do in downtown Denver, CO?

jasonification
01-08-2019, 05:14 PM
Hey folks, going to be in downtown Denver for a conference next week and will have the weekend free to explore. Anything cool to do? Am hoping to hit the farmer's market on saturday and maybe explore a few cafes/bike stores. TIA!

Irishgirl
01-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Love Denver and have “Denver visit envy”...says a Midwest flat lander.

I normally stay at the Art Hotel when downtown Denver which has a great outdoor terrace to work and/or beverage....I’ve spent many an hour pounding on my laptop.

If you like donuts Voodoo donuts is a must.

A fun bar is Ace Bounce - make sure to brush up on your ping pong skills.

If you have time I would head out to Boulder...it’s about 30 miles and bump around Pearl street for people watching ...or grab your hiking boots and head over to the Chautauqua Trail

....and you could always rent a bike and go riding (that would be my vote).

Have Fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbnm
01-08-2019, 05:43 PM
I'll be up there in two weeks.

denver art museum
Museum of Contemporary Art Denver
Clyfford Still Museum
sushi den
cycleton

Jaybee
01-08-2019, 05:51 PM
I'll be up there in two weeks.

denver art museum
Museum of Contemporary Art Denver
Clyfford Still Museum
sushi den
cycleton

Still is my favorite of these museums.

I'd also recommend a drink at Cooper Lounge, above Union Station.

Blown Reek
01-08-2019, 05:54 PM
Den-Rec.

Mr. Pink
01-08-2019, 05:59 PM
Not the most exciting city, culturally, but, a very extensive bike trail network (I think about 3-400 miles, not including the new connection to Boulder and that town's network). It's not all flat, either. If you catch a nice warm and sunny period, which is not unusual in the winter, rent a bike and have fun.

The REI store is pretty big and a fun place to spend money. On a bike trail.

Hank Scorpio
01-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Maybe see a show if it is? I just checked it is. Mustard Plug on 1/11 or Cursive on 1/18 would be good bets. Or go browse Wax Trax for some old vinyl.

Louis
01-08-2019, 06:06 PM
If you're going to be there over the weekend and you haven't yet seen RMNP I'd say that it's worth the drive. (Denver to Estes Park ~1 hr 40 min)

I'm not sure what the status of Trail Ridge Rd is, or if the park is affected by the "shutdown."

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Jaybee
01-08-2019, 06:33 PM
Trail Ridge Rd is closed to cars and typically not plowed for a road bike until April.

If you do go to RMNP, please remember that no one is picking up trash or cleaning restrooms or is there to rescue you if you get stuck, and behave accordingly. Assuming continued shutdown, of course.

gdw
01-08-2019, 06:47 PM
The Buckhorn Exchange is a great place for dinner and is a step back in time. The menu is unique and unlike anything you'll encounter in the trendy parts of town.

wtex
01-08-2019, 07:52 PM
Casa Bonita!

tomato coupe
01-08-2019, 08:24 PM
If you're going to be there over the weekend and you haven't yet seen RMNP I'd say that it's worth the drive. (Denver to Estes Park ~1 hr 40 min)

I'm not sure what the status of Trail Ridge Rd is, or if the park is affected by the "shutdown."

We went to RMNP on Christmas day. Although it was technically open, the road was blocked by gates just inside the main entrance.

JEFFTHEROBOT
01-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Chocolate Spokes Bike Studio
Great Divide Brewing Company
Crema Coffee House
Topo Designs
Berkeley Supply
Quiero Arepas at Avanti
City O' City

likebikes
01-08-2019, 09:18 PM
downtown denver's pretty blah, but some of the gentrified areas very close to downtown probably hold things of interest- RINO area, lower highlands. both easily walkable or grab a bcycle public bike, at any area of interest for you there will be a station.

Jaybee
01-08-2019, 09:21 PM
Casa Bonita!
Please don't. There is nothing reedeming about Casa Bonita.

Quiero Arepas is amazing.

cloudguy
01-08-2019, 11:27 PM
Nuggets are doing awesome this year. Portland comes to the Pepsi Center on Sunday evening. Upper-level tickets are reasonable.

witcombusa
01-09-2019, 04:42 AM
Best thing to do if you're in Denver is to go west to the mountains... then turn north on the Peak to Peak Highway.

YesNdeed
01-09-2019, 07:19 AM
Denver Art Museum!!

Tickdoc
01-09-2019, 07:41 AM
Hey folks, going to be in downtown Denver for a conference next week and will have the weekend free to explore. Anything cool to do? Am hoping to hit the farmer's market on saturday and maybe explore a few cafes/bike stores. TIA!

Confluence park area where REI store is can be fun...lots of walkable stores and a neat re-routed river with kayaking and such.

dbnm
01-09-2019, 08:20 AM
The speakeasy Williams & Graham is really nice.

kingpin75s
01-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Tattered Cover Book Store in Historic LoDo.

jasonification
01-09-2019, 01:19 PM
super excited by all the recommendations! I'm definitely thinking of renting a car for one day to explore the mountains!! everything else sounds amazing too, particularly the art museum. thanks again PL!

Mr. Pink
01-09-2019, 08:01 PM
super excited by all the recommendations! I'm definitely thinking of renting a car for one day to explore the mountains!! everything else sounds amazing too, particularly the art museum. thanks again PL!

DO NOT attempt to drive up I70 on Saturday or Sunday morning to the mountains, and drive back either late afternoon/evening, although Sunday is worse. Be warned! Weekdays are much better. Godawful traffic. It's the worst thing about living in Denver, especially if you have a M-F, 9-5 life and like to ski. Summers are as bad, too.

Jaybee
01-09-2019, 08:10 PM
DO NOT attempt to drive up I70 on Saturday or Sunday morning to the mountains, and drive back either late afternoon/evening, although Sunday is worse. Be warned! Weekdays are much better. Godawful traffic. It's the worst thing about living in Denver, especially if you have a M-F, 9-5 life and like to ski. Summers are as bad, too.

Straight truth here.

nmrt
01-09-2019, 08:21 PM
i live in boulder. i made the mistake of driving on I-70 for the mountains one weekend seven years ago. have not made the mistake since.

Straight truth here.

tctyres
01-09-2019, 08:23 PM
You can grab a bike and go down the Platte River trail. I always do that when I'm there. The trail is easily accessible from downtown. I typically ride up to the Chatfield Reservoir south of the city.

rounder
01-09-2019, 08:31 PM
I was working in downtown Denver a few months ago. My favorite places were Mt. Evans (scary high mountain drive but totally worth it) and Boulder, went to Vecchios, which was awesome. If I had more time, would have spent more time in Boulder. Did not go to Rocky Mountain National Park. Would have liked to go there also.

Jaybee
01-09-2019, 08:36 PM
The Mt Evans drive is cool (even better on a bike), but it is closed seasonally and won't open til June.

JAGI410
01-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Denver Art Museum!!

There are some other shops in the area that sell things that can be taken to make the art museum a little more interesting. Or so I've been told. :banana:

Hawker
01-09-2019, 10:40 PM
Tattered Cover Book Store in Historic LoDo.

+1 on Tattered, if you're a book guy. Also I think former 7-11 racer Ron Keifel has a bike shop in Denver Perhaps someone here could make a recommendation as to whether it''s worth visiting?

If you have a car, a drive to Boulder, Pearl Street and associated bike shops and coffee houses might interest you. Depends on your tastes.

sitzmark
01-10-2019, 01:24 AM
If you have an afternoon off (Mon-Thu) and are interested in coins/mint you could sign up for a Denver mint tour. Easy to access via public trans.

witcombusa
01-10-2019, 04:46 AM

Not suggesting he drive on the interstate! That's always to be avoided in life if possible :banana:

Jaybee
01-10-2019, 09:45 AM
+1 on Tattered, if you're a book guy. Also I think former 7-11 racer Ron Keifel has a bike shop in Denver Perhaps someone here could make a recommendation as to whether it''s worth visiting?

If you have a car, a drive to Boulder, Pearl Street and associated bike shops and coffee houses might interest you. Depends on your tastes.

Keifel's shop is Wheat Ridge Cyclery. A lot of his old race bikes are up on the wall, some of them are pretty cool. Other than that, it's your normal Trek-Speshy shop, also some Cervelo and Seven, Santa Cruz and Yeti on the dirt side. Good staff, nice place.

choke
01-10-2019, 12:54 PM
If you're in to scotch make a trip to Pint's Pub, it's not downtown but it's close. They have one of the largest scotch collections anywhere - check out the 'whisky book' at http://www.pintspub.com/malt-whisky.html (LS by the scotch means a distillery that no longer exists and SS means one that isn't producing at the present).