PDA

View Full Version : Shoes: Options that fit like Specialized

wasfast
01-07-2019, 08:54 PM
I've had multiple versions of the BG Carbon Pro since 2004. Starting in 2013, the sizing changed (was 42, now 42.5 or sometimes 43). The Carbon Pro is no longer made. I bought a pair of Audax. Nice looking shoe but the tongue is very short and sharp. I bought a pair of NOS BG Carbon Pro's and crashed in them a few months ago. They are "severely" scraped now. I do prefer the double velcro/ratchet strap but will succumb to Boa if required. I'm also not spending $400 for shoes. Just saying.

I've tried on other shoes and haven't found anything that fits similarly. I have a typical "north american" foot width and a high arch. Can anyone suggest options?

Alaska Mike
01-08-2019, 02:58 AM
Watching with interest. I wear Specialized Pro Roads in a 45E and have grabbed every pair I’ve come across over the years. Now that we’ll’s running dry, and even the boa version doesn’t quite do it for me. Sidi Megas don’t work at all.

simonov
01-08-2019, 05:14 AM
No matter what I try I always end up back with Specialized. Their shoes fit me better than anything else out there and I haven't found any alternatives, yet, that come close. I started with the BG Carbon Pro as well around that same time, but eventually moved to the S-Works models because I really prefer BOAs to the velcro and ratchet strap combo. Older Shimano R320s were pretty close to being a great replacement, but the R321 was different enough to be a big miss. I have a flat foot and the built in arch support on the R321 gave me constant pain. If you have a high arch and can find them available NOS, they might work better for you than for me. The Shimano S-Phyres were also close for me, but not comfortable enough to replace the Specialized. That said, since everyone is different, you may want to try one of the Shimano options.

I'd also suggest you give BOA a chance. They work quite well and can be replaced pretty easily on most models if something breaks or they get worn out.

Have you looked at the newer Specialized Torch models? They have a mix of BOA and velcro, cost at least half of what the S-Works cost, look pretty good, and may fit pretty closely to the BG Carbon Pro.

pakora
01-08-2019, 08:37 AM
The newer last for Shimano is different with different sizing than older models for the shoes that are completely new/redesigned. This means it fits differently. I used to not get into a 46.5 but a 47 flopped around.

YMMV but besides Specialized 45.5s I only wear Shimano 47s (in the XC7 and MW5) for my most frequently worn shoes. Worth trying a pair on f they didn't work for you before

wasfast
01-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Appreciate the inputs so far. One of the bigger issues I've had on 2 pairs of recent Specialized (especially the Audax) was the tongue. It's a single layer of leather but no longer padded and very stiff. Irritates the top of my foot/leg intersection something fierce.

I'm interested in the Shimano shoes as a trial. As long as my Campagnolo bike doesn't buck me off for wearing those shoes ;)

simonov
01-08-2019, 09:03 AM
Appreciate the inputs so far. One of the bigger issues I've had on 2 pairs of recent Specialized (especially the Audax) was the tongue. It's a single layer of leather but no longer padded and very stiff. Irritates the top of my foot/leg intersection something fierce.

I'm interested in the Shimano shoes as a trial. As long as my Campagnolo bike doesn't buck me off for wearing those shoes ;)

Pair them with Speedplay pedals as a neutral buffer and you'll be ok.

I haven't found the tongue on the Sworks 6s or 7s to be too stiff, but everyone's foot is different, of course, so ymmv. I don't have the Torch to compare with either.

EDS
01-08-2019, 09:13 AM
I've had multiple versions of the BG Carbon Pro since 2004. Starting in 2013, the sizing changed (was 42, now 42.5 or sometimes 43). The Carbon Pro is no longer made. I bought a pair of Audax. Nice looking shoe but the tongue is very short and sharp. I bought a pair of NOS BG Carbon Pro's and crashed in them a few months ago. They are "severely" scraped now. I do prefer the double velcro/ratchet strap but will succumb to Boa if required. I'm also not spending $400 for shoes. Just saying.

I've tried on other shoes and haven't found anything that fits similarly. I have a typical "north american" foot width and a high arch. Can anyone suggest options?

The prior gen sworks shoes on on sale on specialized website. If they have your size, that may be a way to go.

KonaSS
01-08-2019, 12:12 PM
I like both my Specialized and newer generation Shimano shoe. Of course the sizing is different, I am 44 in Specialized and 44.5 in Shimano, but the fit seems very similar.

I am talking top of the line Shimano, RC-9 or RC-901.