PDA

View Full Version : Almost joined the club today

93legendti
11-19-2006, 01:48 PM
I almost got hit by a car today--well I got tapped by one. I was riding my Fierte CX, enjoying the light snow shower, glad I was dressed properly and enjoying the Avocet Cross II 38c's I had put on to try. (Nice tire on smooth pavement, but like most bigger tires, imho, too bouncy over rough stuff--at least at 75 psi).

So I am riding steady, on a bike path/sidewalk, on a route I ride fairly often, on the way to meet my family for lunch. I was enjoying the type of ride Tom posted about yesterday. As I come up to a Mall, I notice an old lady slowly pulling out onto the street in my way at a right angle to me. I yell: HEY, STOP, but her reactions were too slow--(maybe she didn't care, more on that later). If I could have stopped, I would have but I was too close to her.) So my left side and her front bumper got to the same point at the same time. Amazingly, although she tapped me and my rear wheel is REALLY out of whack, I didn't go down--although the front of my left foot somehow ended up on the right side of my front tire. Anyway, I come to a stop and yell: ARE YOU CRAZY? YOU ALMOST HURT ME! She rolled down her window and aksed if I was crazy and she drove off. I couldn't get her license plate--so that's that. I am pretty sure there is no stop sign there for people on the path--as I ride there at least once a week. So, I figure I am lucky (I already knew that) and I hope I got the "H" word out of my system. Be carefull out there folks...

Ginger
11-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Adam,
That sucks. Glad to hear that you survived. Too close.

Mary Ann

vaxn8r
11-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Phew! Close call. Good save.

JasonF
11-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Well, it goes without saying that I'm glad you're ok. I had a run-in years ago in which a driver took off when I hit the deck. Another motorist stopped, and I asked him to chase after the guy and get his plate. Unfortunately, the "good samaritan" never came back and I pedaled home and had an epsom salt bath. My only solace is that my left pedal and bars really did a number on his paint, because they were covered with it. He turned right as I signaled to go left, and I scraped the whole right side of his car.

superunleaded
11-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Adam,
Glad to hear you are okay. I say you must have been blessed.

-gas

PS
Thanks for the fork. I already got 100 miles in it already.

93legendti
11-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Adam,
Glad to hear you are okay. I say you must have been blessed.

-gas

PS
Thanks for the fork. I already got 100 miles in it already.

Thanks for all the good wishes. Yeah, looking back, I realize how lucky I was. I am going to stay off that path. I gotta get on the bike tommorow--I could see how one could be spooked by such a run in.

How's the fork ride?

JohnS
11-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Not the sort of club you want to be a member of. Not least of all because then we would be club brothers! :D Glad you're alright.

wwtsui
11-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Glad you're ok -- sounds like a really close call. It's always amazing to me how people react to traffic incidents... oh well.

rwsaunders
11-19-2006, 08:59 PM
We had to give the 1 fingered salute to a green Lincoln Navigator this morning. There was no reason to get so close to us, on a wide open road early on Sunday morning. Maybe my flashing LED Cateye drew his attention.

Be careful.

William
11-20-2006, 05:18 AM
Glad you weren't hurt to bad. Good save too.

I had to sit up give a woman the point and glare yesterday when she crossed the center line coming toward me and got to close. Yup, yaking on a cell phone. :argue:

William

Tom
11-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Comic relief on Thursday's ride was my doddering 90 year old neighbor smiling his sweet half-wit smile, making a right turn at the 4-way stop at the end of my street after slowing to maybe 20mph, waving happily as I lock up both front and back so he doesn't flatten me and the bike. He proceeded on down to his house without a care or thought in that snowy, empty head and me in his rear view mirror. All I could do was laugh, getting steamed would do nothing. The guy's gaga and his wife is just weird so there's nothing to be done. Nothing would have happened if I hadn't assumed the car would stop, it wasn't until I was saying "Oh, ****!" that I realized who it was. Suburbia. I think they're pissed that my maple tree dropped leaves on their lawn.

Erik.Lazdins
11-20-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm glad you are ok - take care and ride well

superunleaded
11-20-2006, 02:35 PM
I gotta get on the bike tommorow--I could see how one could be spooked by such a run in.

How's the fork ride?

Yup, gotta shake that off. But for me, it's all defensive riding now since I think I've dodged too many already. I call it self preservation.

The fork?
I have to rattle can spray it with something yellow. I'm not gonna get caught with that neon color :)
It rides good, feels like carbon. The whole thing is a keeper so it will have to have a pro paint job.